Trodt 6c33c P/P monos powering Martin Logan CLSII's

Mang Rod's audio creations...

Moderator: kabubi

Trodt 6c33c P/P monos powering Martin Logan CLSII's

Postby Pneumonic » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:50 am

Hello, all.

Been reading up on the Trodt lineup in here for sometime now. This is my first posting.

I have a couple pairs of Martin Logan CLS II speakers that are in use. One pair is being powered by Innersound ESL800 monos and it is an excellent match to pair with this incarnation of the CLS which tends to prefer solid state amplification. However, I previously ran the CLSes successfully with Audio Research tube amps (ARC Classic 120's) and I am looking to find another tube amp partner for these CLSes. Thus my interest in Trodt, especially the 6c33c offerings.

So, has anyone had success pairing up Trodt 6c33c with Logan CLSes? If not, does anyone think they'd work fine with the challenging impedance dip that the Logan's present?

Thanks

- Kerry
Pneumonic

Re: Trodt 6c33c P/P monos powering Martin Logan CLSII's

Postby ESaudio » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:09 pm

Kerry,

we have no info of any pairing between Trodt 6C33C-B PP amps and ML CLSII nor can we tell if Trodt 6C33C-B SET or PP amps would work fine with the CSLII considering the impedance and sensitivity of the Logan.

Thanks!
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Pneumonic » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:27 pm

ESaudio wrote:Kerry,

we have no info of any pairing between Trodt 6C33C-B PP amps and ML CLSII nor can we tell if Trodt 6C33C-B SET or PP amps would work fine with the CSLII considering the impedance and sensitivity of the Logan.

Thanks!

Thanks
Pneumonic

Postby kabubi » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:29 pm

hello Kerry,

i'm pleasantly surprised you're inquiring about the TrodT 6c33c amps. they are the major amps in my tri-amped system: two 6c33c amps + 1 845 tubed amp.

this devil tube, the 6c33c, is my favorite tube. period. some foreign guy labeled them as the "ultimate power triode", and after i got familiar with those tubes and heard what they can do, i believe him. the 6c33c for me is the most versatile tube there is and can match well with more speakers than any other bottle, imho. i once tried parallel monoblocks of them on my AR3a speakers, and the AR3a's soared. like wow, AR3a's, man! i couldnt believe it.

it's a very hard tube to tame and get right, voltages and all. these tubes remind of of Apollo's celestial horses that were harnessed to a chariot that hauled the sun across the skies. it could only take a god like Apollo to control those horses, and not even his son Phaeton was up to the task. the 6c33c always harkens me to that myth of the Greeks about those horses.

it runs very hot that it can easily control the temperature in a small room. you may run into a lemon of a tube once in a a while, but there is a considerable supply around and at prices that are still within a reasonable to cheap. only an expert can get these tubes right, but if you do, the resulting work is celestial :)

now to your query: any success pairing up Trodt 6c33c with Logan CLSes?

bad news : none that i know of.
good news : but hey, you have a good chance of borrowing a TrodT 6c33c amp to find out. i have 2 so i can perhaps lend
you one of mine. but better if you can borrow ESaudio's parallel monoblock version because that has more
juice.

what say ye, Friend Patrick?
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby ESaudio » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:17 pm

kabubi wrote:hello Kerry,

i'm pleasantly surprised you're inquiring about the TrodT 6c33c amps. they are the major amps in my tri-amped system: two 6c33c amps + 1 845 tubed amp.

this devil tube, the 6c33c, is my favorite tube. period. some foreign guy labeled them as the "ultimate power triode", and after i got familiar with those tubes and heard what they can do, i believe him. the 6c33c for me is the most versatile tube there is and can match well with more speakers than any other bottle, imho. i once tried parallel monoblocks of them on my AR3a speakers, and the AR3a's soared. like wow, AR3a's, man! i couldnt believe it.

it's a very hard tube to tame and get right, voltages and all. these tubes remind of of Apollo's celestial horses that were harnessed to a chariot that hauled the sun across the skies. it could only take a god like Apollo to control those horses, and not even his son Phaeton was up to the task. the 6c33c always harkens me to that myth of the Greeks about those horses.

it runs very hot that it can easily control the temperature in a small room. you may run into a lemon of a tube once in a a while, but there is a considerable supply around and at prices that are still within a reasonable to cheap. only an expert can get these tubes right, but if you do, the resulting work is celestial :)

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=23901

now to your query: any success pairing up Trodt 6c33c with Logan CLSes?

bad news : none that i know of.
good news : but hey, you have a good chance of borrowing a TrodT 6c33c amp to find out. i have 2 so i can perhaps lend
you one of mine. but better if you can borrow ESaudio's parallel monoblock version because that has more
juice.

what say ye, Friend Patrick?

Well said kabubs!

the usual, my 6C33C-B SET/Parallel is always here and there for anyone to audition. and just to make sure that my memory did'nt fail me, i called up the Maestro. he confirmed that we had one session before with Trodt 6C33C-B SET paired with another brand of electrostatic speakers, the QUAD ESL 2905. That session gave us the nod to ship out the 6C33C-B amps to North America. Another successful session with Trodt 6C33C-B SET amps is the challenge against the B&W 800 Diamond Series. we were :o ! But again these sessions with Trodt 6C33C-B may not be the barometers that the amps may swing well with another type of speakers of different specs because audio is all about synergy. the bottomline is you have to hear it to judge it based on your own subjective assessment. 8)

http://www.wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=23901
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Pneumonic » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:27 pm

Wow, appreciate the demo offer.

Since posting above I have connected with an audiophile friend who has a buddy who has Audio Mirror 6c33c's that he's going to bring on over to my place for a test run on my CLSes. I'm hopeful this will give me a sampling of how they might sound paired together. At least ballpark wise.

If the combo sounds good I'll make plans to arrange for the demo here. I am located just outside of Toronto, Canada.

Thanks

- Kerry
Pneumonic

Return to >> TRODT/AVA Audio <<