SESSIONS WITH CHUCKYBOY WITH HIS NAKED 300s and VT62!

Mang Rod's audio creations...

Moderator: kabubi

SESSIONS WITH CHUCKYBOY WITH HIS NAKED 300s and VT62!

Postby ESaudio » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:44 am

Chuckyboy,

marami'ng marami'ng salamat for your time in inviting us over for a session with a sumptuous sinigang dinner!

At first, the session started with skee's TJ 300B Mesh Plate being fitted against chuck's EmLabs 300B Mesh Plate by tuberolling one after the other on skee's 300B Trodt amp. From my own impression, the EmLabs 300B mesh plate got the edge over TJ 300B mesh plate.

Then, we came to a supposed shootout among the Trodt 6C333C SET vs. Trodt TR2A3C (SET-Parallel) vs. Trodt 300B SET amps. The TR2A3C was immediately disqualified cause the right channel did not work for one reason or another while in transit.;( . In the middle of the session, we proceeded with listening and comparing chuck's Trodt 6C33C-SET/mono amps vis-a-vis the EmLabs 300B on skee's 300B amp. The Emlabs 300B mesh plate on skee's 300B amp is simply impressive over chuck's Trodt 6C33C-SET amps.

Then, at around 6:00pm came a call!

Ka Buboy arrived with his Storm Trooper (a transcoupled Trodt 6C33C-SET amp) which was immediately put on the front line against the EmLabs 300B Trodt amp. Ka Buboy is oooozing with confidence living up to his challenge like Pacman on the ring!

At the end of the day, no consensus was arrived as to which amp (between the EmLabs 300B amp and the Storm Trooper) got the edge over the other and the HORNS simply rules! And, it was just FUN! FUN! FUN!

My hats off to Mr Nice Guys! Larry (camoteque) and Lin Gomez!

Thanks chuckyboy !

Last edited by ESaudio on Mon May 24, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: ONE SESSION WITH CHUCKYBOY

Postby dimfer » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:00 am

sexy 8)

looks like you guys had fun :envy:
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby randybarba » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:14 am

Nice set up. Must have been a very challenging shootout. Congrats Chuck :)
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby skeesix » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:44 am

Great Shootout guys!

Thanks for hosting us Chuck! Admittedly your Emmision Labs 300b bested my Tjs. As a consolation, I found out that, my amp sounds good with the right speakers and tube upgrade. ;) An older technology amp can shoot it out against an upgraded design with proper synergy. ;)
Please thank your lovely wife for her patience and sumptuous food. Those horn speakers are to dream for. :)
To the Trodt patrons,Buboy, Chuck, Ramon, and Patrick, lets do it again soon. :)
skeesix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Audiogeek » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:16 am

Congrats guys.

for my education lang, what's the specs of chcuky's speaker?
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby camotecue » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:05 am

Audiogeek wrote:Congrats guys.

if i may, the bass boxes is based on the onken design with a single altec 416 woofer per box. the mids are handled by a tandem of iwata wooden horns driven by jbl 2440 compression drivers. the highs are a pair of jbl 2405 tweeters. i believe the design of chucky's xover made by MR is cut at 800hz and 10khz with premium xover parts.
camotecue
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ESaudio » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:52 am

skeesix wrote:To the Trodt patrons,Buboy, Chuck, Ramon, and Patrick, lets do it again soon. :)

LET'S DO IT!

This time, it's going to be a shootout among the Trodt preamps. The 26, the 27, the 6DR7/6EW7 and recently, 'tong bago'ng Russian breed ni ka buboy na 6H30. Nag e-ensayo at nagbi-break-in na ata.8)
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Chuckyboy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:45 pm

@ Doc randy, challenging talaga. Ang bibigat ng AMP nila :D

@ Skee, thanks for lending me your amp. Now I want one too - DHT SET amp, someday !

@ ESaudio, sana next time umandar na 2a3 amp mo :D
Chuckyboy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Audiogeek » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:50 pm

camotecue wrote:
Audiogeek wrote:Congrats guys.

if i may, the bass boxes is based on the onken design with a single altec 416 woofer per box. the mids are handled by a tandem of iwata wooden horns driven by jbl 2440 compression drivers. the highs are a pair of jbl 2405 tweeters. i believe the design of chucky's xover made by MR is cut at 800hz and 10khz with premium xover parts.

thanks bro. i used to work with the original ditributor (sister company of Delta Motors then) of JB Lansing products in manila, with other european audio stuff like ortofon and akg, from 1984-1986. enjoy.
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby amonv » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:05 pm

HI Chucky,

thank you for hosting last session... and paki sabi na lang sa panganay mo... thank you.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: wife mo pala yun..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

hoping to listen to your system again...

amon
amonv
Citizen
Citizen

Postby skeesix » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:03 pm

@ Skee, thanks for lending me your amp. Now I want one too - DHT SET amp, someday !

Your welcome Chuckie! I heard your new toys are just waiting for the EML 300B s. I have asked MR to modify my 6C33c Monos to transformer coupled :) :) :) He has solve the matching problems of a transformer coupled pre amp to a transformer coupled amp. ;) ;) ;)
skeesix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby amonv » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:13 pm

skeesix wrote:

Your welcome Chuckie! I heard your new toys are just waiting for the EML 300B s. I have asked MR to modify my 6C33c Monos to transformer coupled :) :) :) He has solve the matching problems of a transformer coupled pre amp to a transformer coupled amp. ;) ;) ;)

Thanks Capt. for the info.... just talked to MR for my 6c33c mono...kaso punong puno si MR kaya have to wait pa....
amonv
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ESaudio » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:03 pm

Chuckyboy wrote:@ ESaudio, sana next time umandar na 2a3 amp mo :D

kala ko nga kung ano nangyari! have tested it upon arriving home from the session. luckily, nothing is wrong with the TR2A3C and still singing beautifully. it's ready to rumble anytime. When we set it up, doon pala sa 'INSERTION' ng speaker cable with spade terminal na hindi nagkaroon ng contact sa metal post. Maganda talaga e-insert kung banana!

Somebody borrowed my TR2A3C the following for a week from january 31st to April 6th. He's now in high spirit!!! :D
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: JUST ANOTHER SESSION WITH CHUCKYBOY

Postby ESaudio » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:04 pm

Chuckyboy,

thanks again for inviting us over for another session with your yet prototype-300B (EmsLab tube) mono amps by MR design. The 300B EmsLab tube and its matching driver tube really have their own unique and peculiar characteristics to configure in one circuit to work compared to other 300B tubes. It's one tough and bullheaded tube to deal with and MR really sweat it out to tame and finetuned the tubes by his design.

After an almost three-hour session this afternoon, what more can i say? Sounds perfect to me and totally singing on different and impressive tunes compared to the last session we had. MR was simply smiling and Ka Buboy, jojo and i were just awed and amazed!

Looking forward to another session with the 300s in their final form and fashion! Oh boy . . . I wonder how they would look like!!! :D

The 300B (mesh plate):

The driver/preamp tube:
Last edited by ESaudio on Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:30 pm

congrats guys. parinig naman one of these days :)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ESaudio » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:26 am

Francis,

will arrange session date with chuck preferably weekends and will be posted. Tnx!

vintage_dog wrote:congrats guys. parinig naman one of these days :)
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:06 am

ESaudio wrote:Francis,

will arrange session date with chuck preferably weekends and will be posted. Tnx!

vintage_dog wrote:congrats guys. parinig naman one of these days :)

thanks and see you later. will bring a few 300b pairs, including a western electric ;)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ESaudio » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:56 pm

Chuckyboy,

many many thanks again for another splendid and a very engaging afternoon session! this time, the session was imbued with totally different flavor. VD brought two (2) pairs of 300Bs, a VAIC VALVE and the most dreaded 300B Western Electric, plus a pair of Arcturus 26 (ST). Ka Ramon (amonv) brought his only pair of Blue Arcturus 26; i also brought along my newly MR-designed 26 preamp with two peanut tubes parallel to the 26 (National Union).

Fortunately, kabubi's Telefunken peanut tubes arrived yesterday in time for the session.

Session started around 2pm with chuck's front system, the 300B EmsLab MR-designed amps and his 6EW7 preamp. After starting with two or three tracks, the group seemed to be itching for more spirited tunes. So, the preamp switching and tuberolling then followed from the 6EW7 to the 26. Tuberolling on the 26 from National Union, to 26 Arcturus (ST), then to the Blue 26 Arcturus. Then comes the power tubes shifting from the Emslab, to the VAIC, then to the Western Electric with chuck making the necessary bias adjustments everytime a new power tube is fitted in.

The tuberolling and all possible combinations that went through centered only on two (2) tracks, one from Ben Webter's album and another one classical piece in a cathedral setting. Chuck, pls fill in the track titles.

The combination, i should say, that stands out this afternoon session, is the Western Electric and the 26 Blue Arcturus. Simply amazing! :rock:

But the session did not end without a twist. When i switched my 26 preamp to the Telefunken peanut tube, everybody was a bit stunned and seems to threaten the Blue Arcturus. :D

Chuckyboy, nakabawi na ako sa 'yo! Last session, tinaob mo yung 27 ko with your 6EW7 that eventually changed my mind to 26. And now, your 6EW7 will surely undergo a major operation much to the liking of your EmsLab. :rock: :rock: :rock:

ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: JUST ANOTHER SESSION WITH CHUCKYBOY AND THE 300s!

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:42 am

what a treat -- delicious putanesca following a wonderful session...

congrats chuckyboy...with the right combination of gear (and tubes), your system was nicely singing. the biggest revelation to me was the 6ew7 on MR's preamp... good tonal balance, engaging mids and impressive dynamics.

the westrex 300b on MR's amp plus the 26 preamp with ST/GLOBE ARCTURUS tubes driving the horn system was indeed a good sounding system that brought out smiles from the listeners' faces.

cheers! :clap:
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Re: JUST ANOTHER SESSION WITH CHUCKYBOY AND THE 300s!

Postby amonv » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:49 am

Chucky.. thank you for hosting again :clap: :clap: :clap: ... Sarap ng pasta with matching good music....Sana bro di ka mapagod mag invite...
:clap: :clap: :clap:
amonv
Citizen
Citizen

Next

Return to >> TRODT/AVA Audio <<