Any Thorens users out there?

classic analog rigs Thorens, Garrard, Lenco, EMT, etc..

Moderators: setup1, setup2

Postby amandarae » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:00 am

Mamimili wrote:TD 124, SME 3009, Denon 103R :D



Congrats Paul! I too enjoy my classic Thorens/SME/Denon rig. I also found out that the Benz ACE (mid output on mine) works very very well with the 3009 arm(hint: Both are Swiss made). When you have the chance, try it and I bet you, you will buy more records.

regards,

Abe
Last edited by amandarae on Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic
 
Posts: 2043
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Diamond Bar, CA

Postby amandarae » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:01 am

jomar wrote:Count me in 8) TD124 MK1 + SME 3009 S2 + AT440MLa



Jomar,

Please see my post above :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Temptations, temptations.......

regards,

Abe
User avatar
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic
 
Posts: 2043
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Diamond Bar, CA

Postby Mamimili » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:20 am

amandarae wrote:
Mamimili wrote:TD 124, SME 3009, Denon 103R :D



Congrats Paul! I too enjoy my classic Thorens/SME/Denon rig. I also found out that the Benz ACE (mid output on mine) works very very well with the 3009 arm(hint: Both are Swiss made). When you have the chance, try it and I bet you, you will buy more records.

regards,

Abe


Cheers Abe, yet another reason to buy more BP :D

Re your tip about the ball bearing, does your BB just sit on top of the hole or have you forced it in? Did you try anything else to fill the hole such as blue tack?
I note that the main pulley shaft has a BB, and the idler wheel shaft has either a BB or is solid and machined "round". I wonder if the speed pulley had a BB when original and everyone lost it??

I just looked and my speed pulley has 2 balance holes drilled! Amazing attention to detail :D
User avatar
Mamimili
Master
Master
 
Posts: 4308
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm
Location: Subang

Postby amandarae » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:21 pm

Mamimili wrote:
amandarae wrote:
Mamimili wrote:TD 124, SME 3009, Denon 103R :D



Congrats Paul! I too enjoy my classic Thorens/SME/Denon rig. I also found out that the Benz ACE (mid output on mine) works very very well with the 3009 arm(hint: Both are Swiss made). When you have the chance, try it and I bet you, you will buy more records.

regards,

Abe


Cheers Abe, yet another reason to buy more BP :D

Re your tip about the ball bearing, does your BB just sit on top of the hole or have you forced it in? Did you try anything else to fill the hole such as blue tack?
I note that the main pulley shaft has a BB, and the idler wheel shaft has either a BB or is solid and machined "round". I wonder if the speed pulley had a BB when original and everyone lost it??

I just looked and my speed pulley has 2 balance holes drilled! Amazing attention to detail :D


Hi Paul,

I am talking about the main pulley (motor) and the speed pulley. Now that I think about it, I think you got it right. There should have been BB's on top of both of the locations I mentioned and maybe during a routine maintenance cleaning, either I loss it or the original owner of the TT did many years ago.

Oh, the BB's just sit on top of the shaft, not forced in. Initially, i thought the function of the BB's is to seal the shaft opening from dust but was surprised that it made the pulley quieter.

regards,

Abe
User avatar
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic
 
Posts: 2043
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Diamond Bar, CA

Postby jomar » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:05 pm

amandarae wrote:
jomar wrote:Count me in 8) TD124 MK1 + SME 3009 S2 + AT440MLa



Jomar,

Please see my post above :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Temptations, temptations.......

regards,

Abe


oh tukso layuan mo ako :lol: :lol:

Just got the AT440MLa less than a month so pabayaan ko munang masulit and just buy some LPs to enjoy my analog rig. So far , it is a good starter cart. Baka kasi masira interest ko sa analog pag bumili ako mamahaling cart at nasira ko :twisted: :twisted:

As for the BB for the main pulley , i also noticed that mine doesn't have it. Strange if by just putting a BB on top on the hole make it more quieter :roll: :roll: If it is not forced or glued .. it would also be spinning which creates more vibrations :roll: :roll: hmmm masubukan nga .
User avatar
jomar
Citizen
Citizen
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:36 am
Location: The FINE country

Re: Any Thorens users out there?

Postby BingoDelMar » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:01 am

Got TD-124 MK II with SME V tone arm and Ortofon MC 30 Supreme.... it's a gem...
User avatar
BingoDelMar
Citizen
Citizen
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:46 am
Location: Sinulog Country

Re: Any Thorens users out there?

Postby diego » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:29 pm

Recently purchased a thorens TD160 super with an SME series III arm. I noticed that it does not have any feet under the plinth. Is this normal? If it is how can you adjust the level. Thanks
diego
Citizen
Citizen
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:33 am

Re: Any Thorens users out there?

Postby pican » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:36 pm

diego wrote:Recently purchased a thorens TD160 super with an SME series III arm. I noticed that it does not have any feet under the plinth. Is this normal? If it is how can you adjust the level. Thanks


I use the same to play grade LPs. It has four rubber feet under the plinth.
User avatar
pican
Fanatic
Fanatic
 
Posts: 1471
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:54 am

Re: Any Thorens users out there?

Postby skeesix » Wed May 19, 2010 10:36 am

My Thorens TD 121 turntable finally arrived two weeks ago. Won it from ebay c/o Paragon audio USA. Its the stripped down version of the TD 124, running at 33 1/3 rpm only, no strobes, nor level. It came with the original Thorens tonearm and Shure V15 Pickering cartridge. Very good sounding MM / TT combination. :)
Although its in good/clean condition, I am contemplating a tonearm upgrade, maybe an SME :?: The original plinth is likewise in a 8/10 condition, but am coordinating with Larry (Camotecue) for a posible wood replacement. ;) Mike ( Killer Mike) will provide me an acryllic dust cover soon. :) A must in a dusty environment like ours. Replacement belt which is similar to a TD 124 arrived today. :) Nothing can compare with a new one.


Some questions that linger in my mind:

1. Aside from aesthetics, how much improvement in SQ will I get from a new plinth and tonearm?
2. Assumming I retain the Thorens tonearm, should I replace the original IC and power cables.
3. Can I cover the underside of the plinth, to preserve the mechanical parts without risk of overheating the motor?
4. Should I just add a 2nd tonearm at the rear end. :?:
5. If I change the plinth, gloss, semi gloss, flat, or oil finish is best ? Solid or Layered?

Its a fun hobby indeed! Keeps me sane in this stressfull life of ours. :)

Will post images soon. :)
User avatar
skeesix
Fanatic
Fanatic
 
Posts: 1427
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:56 pm

Re: Any Thorens users out there?

Postby setup1 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:33 am

Congrats on your acquisition of a fine classic!

I think it would be wiser to take things a step at time, first priority IMO is to make sure the unit is working up to spec. Plinth, additional tonearm and other tweaks can come later so that you can hear if they were worth the expense. These were fine performing units in their day so it would be nice to hear them as they were designed.
User avatar
setup1
Citizen
Citizen
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:20 pm
Location: USA

Re:

Postby merlin » Wed May 19, 2010 11:53 am

michael corleone wrote:Got a TD 160 with stock arm as my back up and third tt.Auditioned it for several days and it never went back to the seller anymore.Better than budget and entry level new models IMO.


Image

eto ba yun? :devil: mas maganda na yung cart na nakakabit ngayon ;)
User avatar
merlin
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 7385
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:41 pm

Re: Any Thorens users out there?

Postby skeesix » Wed May 19, 2010 1:16 pm

setup1 wrote:Congrats on your acquisition of a fine classic!

I think it would be wiser to take things a step at time, first priority IMO is to make sure the unit is working up to spec. Plinth, additional tonearm and other tweaks can come later so that you can hear if they were worth the expense. These were fine performing units in their day so it would be nice to hear them as they were designed.



Great inputs Joseph :) I am planning to give Joel (SET Up 2) a visit soon. Perhaps I can get an expert advise if my TT is up to specs. and what direction to take. Your right, just a tone arm upgrade can cost one an arm and a leg :(
User avatar
skeesix
Fanatic
Fanatic
 
Posts: 1427
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:56 pm

Re: Any Thorens users out there?

Postby doasmarx » Wed May 19, 2010 3:19 pm

Owner? Yes, User? not yet as i don't have the "time" (to bring this to someone who can fix and properly set this up) and plinth as i'm planning to have two tonearm (mono) stromberg carlson???? and sme 3009 series 2. btw is it possible to have 2 tonearms in one plinth if the other tonearm is not a 12 incher?

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
doasmarx
Fanatic
Fanatic
 
Posts: 1160
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:25 pm

Re: Any Thorens users out there?

Postby Bagets » Wed May 19, 2010 3:56 pm

doasmarx wrote:Owner? Yes, User? not yet as i don't have the "time" (to bring this to someone who can fix and properly set this up) and plinth as i'm planning to have two tonearm (mono) stromberg carlson???? and sme 3009 series 2. btw is it possible to have 2 tonearms in one plinth if the other tonearm is not a 12 incher?

Image


Try mo pa set up kay Noly bro. Lapit lang sya sa iyo. Ganda-ganda naman :) :) :)
User avatar
Bagets
Citizen
Citizen
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:36 am
Location: Teleporting

Re: Any Thorens users out there?

Postby skeesix » Wed May 19, 2010 7:44 pm

My work in progress Thorens TD 121 :) The left selector is just an on/off switch instead of a speed selector for the TD 124.
Installed a new belt awhile ago. The difference in length is about half an inch. The old one has stretched a bit.
Still doubtful of speed accuracy though. |(



Image

Image
Last edited by skeesix on Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
skeesix
Fanatic
Fanatic
 
Posts: 1427
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:56 pm

Re: Any Thorens users out there?

Postby kabubi » Wed May 19, 2010 8:24 pm

diyakpat!
vintage Thorens 121 and a new production Technics SL 1200 = best of both worlds :D
congratulations to my good friend.

skeesix wrote:My work in progress Thorens TD 121 :) The left selector is just an on/off switch instead of a speed selector for the TD 124.
Installed a new belt awhile ago. The difference in length is about half an inch. The old one has stretched a bit.
Still doubtful of speed accuracy though. |(


Image

Image
User avatar
kabubi
Legend
Legend
 
Posts: 5476
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:28 pm

Re: Any Thorens users out there?

Postby Superman » Wed May 19, 2010 9:29 pm

CONGRATULATIONS Capt. Skee! Tama si Kabubs, DYAKPAT!! :D

Dax, pwede yang 2 arms, you can PM TAS or Hyper...Ganda gawan niyan ng plinth c/o camotecue, tapos 2-arms, yahoo! :D
User avatar
Superman
Master Showman
 
Posts: 15235
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:41 pm
Location: Davao City

Re: Any Thorens users out there?

Postby skeesix » Thu May 20, 2010 6:20 am

Thanks Buboy and Jen!

I am just amazed by the analog sound the Thorens TD 121 is singing, considering the MM cartridge it came with. I did an A-B test between the Technics Sl1200 Mk5 with Denon 103r and the TD121 with the V15 Pickering cart into MRs Compactron phono stage. Two different worlds! The Td121 is warm and sweet sounding, while the Sl 1200 Mk V is more accurate and detailed. :)
I like the old technology mechanical design of the TD 121. Levers, pulleys, belt, idler wheel, etc. Its a toy you can clean, lubricate, and fiddle with. :)
The Sl 1200 being new, is left untouched. :)
Last edited by skeesix on Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
skeesix
Fanatic
Fanatic
 
Posts: 1427
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:56 pm

Re: Any Thorens users out there?

Postby T-Rex » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:58 am

skeesix wrote:I like the old technology mechanical design of the TD 121. Levers, pulleys, belt, idler wheel, etc. Its a toy you can clean, lubricate, and fiddle with. :)


Amen to that. toys for the boys 8)
User avatar
T-Rex
Citizen
Citizen
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:20 pm

Re: Any Thorens users out there?

Postby skeesix » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:04 pm

skeesix wrote:My work in progress Thorens TD 121 :) The left selector is just an on/off switch instead of a speed selector for the TD 124.
Installed a new belt awhile ago. The difference in length is about half an inch. The old one has stretched a bit.
Still doubtful of speed accuracy though. |(



Image

Image


latest improvements on my thorens TD121
-home brew solid narra plinth and record rack with the help of a master carpenter
-plexiglass cover c/o K Mike
-spikes
-shure v15 type 3 cart
-did the router works and finishing using min wax poly urethane varnish ;)
-Vintage Sansui 9090 db integrated amp and Denon DCD 1500 II cd player from the USA :)

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
skeesix
Fanatic
Fanatic
 
Posts: 1427
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:56 pm

PreviousNext

Return to IDLER TURNTABLES

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest