Lenco's R Us

classic analog rigs Thorens, Garrard, Lenco, EMT, etc..

Moderators: setup1, setup2

Re: Lenco's R Us

Postby setup1 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:19 am

yucca wrote:Hi guys,

Would you know where I can get rubber ring for the idler wheel of an L68? Trying to revive this tt of a non member.

TIA,
Edd

I'm not familiar with the L68 model, if possible please post pictures.

Anyway if the idler wheel has a plastic hub, Lenco used a rubber compound which hardens over time on this type. If memory serves me right, there were people at the defunct Lenco Lovers forum who tried to replace the hardened rubber with an "O" ring with limited success; difficult to fine tune the speed because the contact surface area of an "O" ring is greater than the "V" shaped profile of the original rubber. The B60-62 US models (Euro L70) I have always came with plastic wheels with hardened rubber. I sent the idlers to either Ed Crockett or Terry de Witt for resurfacing.

In my experience the later L75 and L78 models were fitted with metal hub idler wheels and the rubber stays fresh. The "O" ring will not fit because the metal hub is very thin.

For more info and ideas visit Lenco Heaven.

Hope this helps!
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby john » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:33 am

[quote="john"]I have a Lenco L75 on an ivory plastic resin plinth and fitted with a Manticore Magician tonearm and Denon 103.[/quote]

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/album ... ic_id=9333

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/album ... ic_id=9332

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/album ... ic_id=9331
john
Citizen
Citizen

Postby yucca » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:38 pm

setup1 wrote:
I'm not familiar with the L68 model, if possible please post pictures.

Anyway if the idler wheel has a plastic hub, Lenco used a rubber compound which hardens over time on this type. If memory serves me right, there were people at the defunct Lenco Lovers forum who tried to replace the hardened rubber with an "O" ring with limited success; difficult to fine tune the speed because the contact surface area of an "O" ring is greater than the "V" shaped profile of the original rubber. The B60-62 US models (Euro L70) I have always came with plastic wheels with hardened rubber. I sent the idlers to either Ed Crockett or Terry de Witt for resurfacing.

In my experience the later L75 and L78 models were fitted with metal hub idler wheels and the rubber stays fresh. The "O" ring will not fit because the metal hub is very thin.

For more info and ideas visit Lenco Heaven.

Hope this helps!

Hello Sir Joseph,

Thank you for the links.

I think the L68 belongs to the light weights. The rubber on the plastic hub is already hard and worn out (hair line cracks). I thought of the "O" ring also but noticed that speed selection has specific location on the motor spindle, hence the contact surface area of the V shape rubber ring is crucial. I'll try to ask help posting pics of this Lenco.

Cheers,
Edd
yucca
Citizen
Citizen

Postby BobT » Mon May 25, 2009 2:02 pm

kabubi wrote:i am lucky (i think) as mine was purchased in the Netherlands. chances are, it may be 60hz.

re the question on a GL75, methinks this is the rebadged "Goldring" Lenco hence, the "G" added to the L75 :?:

sensei, up for some consultancy services?

i took your advice that a <10K pre-tweak l75 is a good buy, so i have reserved for one at that shop i chanced upon you and georgepogi.

it is a given that i would later change plinth so i did not mind its condition.

the chrome plating of the tonearm has flaked; the headshell is not pristine as well. i'd probably just make do with brushing it off for now until i can change to a better tonearm.

the v-blocks are to be changed; any advice for any 'exotic' replacement? i am not sure about the condition of the idler wheel as i can't lift off the platter. are these parts readily available from 'friends'?

the rubber mat has cracked and it is probably destined to the trash bin. changing to anti-static felt mat okay?

any advices before i start to incise on the l75?
BobT
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby kabubi » Mon May 25, 2009 8:57 pm

ooooohhhhh, the Lenco family is growing! if only to shamelessly name drop Setup1 (Mr JE Labs himself) as a proud owner --- and restorer --- of a few of those Lencos, you will truly appreciate what a marvelous, albeit inexpensive TT it is.

i owe you one, Bob. soon as i get home, i'll send you the instrunctions and the link.
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby setup1 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:59 am

BobT wrote:the v-blocks are to be changed; any advice for any 'exotic' replacement?

Back in the days of Lenco Lovers there were a couple of people selling V-blocks using exotic materials, quartz amongst others. However there was never a conclusive report on which sounded best. IMHO, I'd stick with the original rubber V-blocks.

Another problem with the L75 tonearm is sagging counterweight. Some can be repaired but most of the time you have to live with it and as long as it can balance a cartridge it should function properly even if it is an eyesore. The reason this happens is because instead of a rubber decoupling ala SME 3009/3012 or vintage Ortofon the Lenco uses a thin piece of tensile wire and once this is bent (from shipping or ill-handling) it is very difficult to straighten. Caveat: if you use brute force to straighten this, it will break and the arm is useless....I learned from experience.

BobT wrote:i am not sure about the condition of the idler wheel as i can't lift off the platter. are these parts readily available from 'friends'?

Just like a G301, while trying to lift the platter with one hand give the spindle a healthy tap with a rubber mallet or solid piece of wood. Again, don't use brute force or you risk damaging the main bearing. Hopefully you will find a 60hz pulley/motor indicated by a sticker underneath.

BobT wrote:the rubber mat has cracked and it is probably destined to the trash bin. changing to anti-static felt mat okay?

I use DJ type felt mat and it works well. I think Doc Lito (stereophile) has some nice 5mm variety.

Send me a PM if you need further assistance.
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby kabubi » Wed May 27, 2009 1:34 am

kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby BobT » Sat May 30, 2009 9:21 am

the l75 project is now home.

initial report:
- plugged to the power source, humming sound is heard but platter is not spinning... :?:
-----> the idler wheel (plastic) and rubber are fine. i gave more tension to the spring and now the platter is spinning.
- the v-blocks not broken yet, or so it seems. may mark lang on one made by improper setting of the tonearm pivot wedge.
- it seems naipit din yung wires, i hope walang naputol.
-----> naputol ang ground wire sa solder point sa arm; one of the signal wires was also open at the pcb end. i can resolder both, i hope.
BobT
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby setup1 » Sat May 30, 2009 12:14 pm

BobT wrote:the l75 project is now home.
initial report:
- the v-blocks not broken yet, or so it seems. may mark lang on one made by improper setting of the tonearm pivot wedge.

The V-blocks should be rigid enough so that the knife edges do not stick and restrict vertical motion. If the knife edge(s) "sinks" into the V-block, tracking force cannot be accurately set due to excessive friction. If you are handy and assuming your V-blocks are fairly intact to use as a model/template, it is feasible to reproduce a new pair using a similar type of rubber material and an exacto knife.

I strongly recommend taking pictures of every step you make, it will facilitate reassembly.

I also suggest starting your own WIP post to benefit other WS members interested in Lencos :rock:
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby kabubi » Sun May 31, 2009 9:22 pm

if i were you Bob, i'd change the tonearm altogether. imho, i think that the arm is the weakest link in the L75. but that's just me :)
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby BobT » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:39 am

kabubi wrote:if i were you Bob, i'd change the tonearm altogether. imho, i think that the arm is the weakest link in the L75. but that's just me :)

thanks for this advise, sensei. i am in the look-out already for a tonearm.

make that tonearms, i saw a vpi deck on sale but also needs one :lol:. do you know up to how much, that it is already considered expensive, does a pre-owned tonearm-less vpi cost?
BobT
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby kabubi » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:59 am

Bob, a tonearm less VPI (i'm presuming it's a HW19) may cost somewhere between 50k-70k. that's just a guesstimate ha.
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby BobT » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:19 am

kabubi wrote:Bob, a tonearm less VPI (i'm presuming it's a HW19) may cost somewhere between 50k-70k. that's just a guesstimate ha.

yap, it's one of those hw-19. so the 50k-70k price covers the lo-end to the hi-end of this model range, i.e. jr, mk3, already?
BobT
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby kabubi » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:44 am

BobT wrote:
kabubi wrote:Bob, a tonearm less VPI (i'm presuming it's a HW19) may cost somewhere between 50k-70k. that's just a guesstimate ha.

yap, it's one of those hw-19. so the 50k-70k price covers the lo-end to the hi-end of this model range, i.e. jr, mk3, already?

i would think so. not unless someone else has to say something about it.

PS. Bob, i hope you would follow the advise of Joseph (setup1). show us your restoration process through a chronology of photographs. that is, kung hindi mo pa natatapos. what i am particularly interested in is your PLINTH. what materials did you use? how big? how many layers?

pictures naman, o. hope edwin is reading this, too, and he posts the developments on his Lenco.
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby kabubi » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:45 am

JE,

what are your thoughts on a Lenco Direct Drive? is that variant a keeper?
thanx!

k
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby setup1 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:05 am

kabubi wrote:JE,
what are your thoughts on a Lenco Direct Drive? is that variant a keeper?
thanx! k

Sorry no experience with DD Lencos. Maybe Japanese OEM? But I'm just speculating....the belt-drive model was an in-house design AFAIK and Joel can chime in on that since he had one years ago.
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby BobT » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:10 am

kabubi wrote:PS. Bob, i hope you would follow the advise of Joseph (setup1). show us your restoration process through a chronology of photographs. that is, kung hindi mo pa natatapos. what i am particularly interested in is your PLINTH. what materials did you use? how big? how many layers?

yap, i am taking pictures.

this project might take a while though.

sa plinth, i am still holding plans until i can secure a tonearm as i am not sure if it will just be drop-in sa existing chassis or i would need to mount it sa plinth instead. conceptually, what's in my mind now is at least an inch-thick metal (aluminum, stainless steel or mild steel) sitting on top of a one piece teak or layers of birch wood. for making the plinth, i am still inquiring for a precision-machine shop here.
BobT
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby georgepogi69 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:52 am

BobT wrote:
kabubi wrote:PS. Bob, i hope you would follow the advise of Joseph (setup1). show us your restoration process through a chronology of photographs. that is, kung hindi mo pa natatapos. what i am particularly interested in is your PLINTH. what materials did you use? how big? how many layers?

yap, i am taking pictures.

this project might take a while though.

sa plinth, i am still holding plans until i can secure a tonearm as i am not sure if it will just be drop-in sa existing chassis or i would need to mount it sa plinth instead. conceptually, what's in my mind now is at least an inch-thick metal (aluminum, stainless steel or mild steel) sitting on top of a one piece teak or layers of birch wood. for making the plinth, i am still inquiring for a precision-machine shop here.

toto bob,
the tirador of "bodega" strikes again... :D :) :lol: ... if you're free in the next days or so, sabihan mo lang ako at sasamahan kita dun sa kaibigan kong si Uncle Tiu sa me Changi area......walang ginawa si tanda kundi kulitin ako na bumili sa kanya ng Lenco L75.....advice rin ni tanda na be careful of this seller in echoloft named "creative", http://www.echoloft.com/cgi-bin/buysell ... 1243254378 , sablay na yung mga lenco na binibenta eh mahal pa presyo....even our fellow member Jomar found the Thorens and Lencos that "creative" is selling eh daming "tama".....

ooopps,papunta pala ako ke tandang Tiu later this afternoon to pick up the Sansui TU519 tuner he reserved for me..... :$ :$
georgepogi69
Citizen
Citizen

Postby BobT » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:49 am

kabubi wrote:
BobT wrote:

i would think so. not unless someone else has to say something about it.

if someone else has to say something about it, then it is too late now. :lol:
the exact model is hw-19 mark 3. i just hope this was a good buy. :?:
Last edited by BobT on Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobT
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby kabubi » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:09 am

we can only comment if the VPI was a good buy (or "good-bye") if you let us know how much you bought it for. magkano nga ba, Bob? :)

and for how much did you score the Lenco?
kabubi
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to IDLER TURNTABLES