Garrard 301 : SLATEd w/ dual 12"

classic analog rigs Thorens, Garrard, Lenco, EMT, etc..

Moderators: setup1, setup2

Postby plasticman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:36 pm

superman,

according to slatedeck.com (UK maker of slate plinth) and jonathan weiss of oswaldsmillaudio.com (US maker), the answer is affirmative. Both websites actually also sell slate isolation plateforms

mamimili,

i believe the way they flatten it is by "honing". It entails using very fine (600 grit and finer) sandpaper. Anything courser will cause "breakdown" due to the structure of slate.

To those interested to have their own slate plinth. Please spend time to make an EXACT template. The workers at the factory manning the drilling machines, according to their own office, are "brainless robots" in the sense that they will just drill as per drawing. So if you give them a template that have bolt holes only approximated, that is exactly what you'll get :twisted:
plasticman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Superman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:40 pm

YAHOO! Thanks plasticman...

Can you PM me more or less the cost of slates nowadays?? I would have to find a source here in Davao...Thanks!
Superman
Master Showman

Postby Superman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:42 pm

Parang ganito pala yan:

Superman
Master Showman

Postby Mamimili » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:42 pm

Superman wrote:QUESTION: Would slate be a good candidate for an isolation platform a for components?? Thanks!

Yes :D
Have you seen the price? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Sell more tacho's :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Superman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:44 pm

Mamimili wrote:
Superman wrote:QUESTION: Would slate be a good candidate for an isolation platform a for components?? Thanks!

Yes :D
Have you seen the price? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Sell more tacho's :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Superman
Master Showman

Postby Mamimili » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:49 pm

plasticman wrote:superman,

according to slatedeck.com (UK maker of slate plinth) and jonathan weiss of oswaldsmillaudio.com (US maker), the answer is affirmative. Both websites actually also sell slate isolation plateforms

mamimili,

i believe the way they flatten it is by "honing". It entails using very fine (600 grit and finer) sandpaper. Anything courser will cause "breakdown" due to the structure of slate.

To those interested to have their own slate plinth. Please spend time to make an EXACT template. The workers at the factory manning the drilling machines, according to their own office, are "brainless robots" in the sense that they will just drill as per drawing. So if you give them a template that have bolt holes only approximated, that is exactly what you'll get :twisted:

I hear Welsh slate from Snowdonia is "The Best" for audio and also the easiest to machine as it is softer than other slates, it rarely breaks, fractures etc.
It is also the most expensive :(

The only downside is that Welsh slate does not last as long as other types of slate.
One UK website shows photographs of slate roof tiles, the Welsh slate is worn out after 60 years of English weather :(

But, when used as a plinth, who cares about the weather?? :D
Who cares about 60 years??? :lol: :lol: I will not be around (or i will be in the record books as the worlds oldest audiofool)
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby plasticman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:51 pm

for me, mas pogi 'to!

:shock:
plasticman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Mamimili » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:54 pm

That's Welsh slate above, right?

I wonder how many Welshmen know people want to mine their best mountain?
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby plasticman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:54 pm

btw superman,

if you go check pics in the slatedeck.com website, you'll come across pics of the isolation spikes they use. Then check it against the isolation spikes being sold by skee6 and his sone Manny. PAREHO !!! :shock: :lol:
plasticman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby plasticman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:56 pm

mamimili,

the pic shown by superman is the one made of welsh slate.

the one that i posted is made from Pennsylavanian slate.
plasticman
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Garrard 301 : SLATEd w/ dual 12"

Postby Brian_mico » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:02 pm

plasticman wrote:finally got to take pics :D

Slate Plinth

Hayyyy this really so damn beautiful :D :D

Some guys have all the luck :lol: :lol:
Brian_mico
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Mamimili » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:11 pm

30 years ago my luck was measured in the number of females.
Today my luck is measured in the number of exotic plinths :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby plasticman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:33 pm

There was indeed some "luck" involved in this project

First, I did not plan on having a garrard 301 due to the prohibitive costs of acquiring one. However, doc lito offered me a deal that i would have been crazy to refuse since he was eyeinig a grease bearing unit :)

Next, while looking for an SME 3012 (again costing $$$$ in ebay), i decided to do some research on the maintainance of the 301. This was when i chanced upon the Schick tonearm. To make a long story short, we ended up orderinig. It costs half of the usual asking for a working, good condition 3012 from ebay. 8)

Third, my 301 didn't have levers. Rene had some spare "repaired" levers that were taken from old units that he generously lent to me! So finally, napaandar ko yung unit! He also made the acrylic spacers for the tonearm.

And lastly, also due to the fact that i just couldn't believe that a water-jet cutter was absolutely necessary, I chanced upon the office of EUROASIA at the Fort. What's so "lucky" about that? It was the first store that I entered and inquired in :shock:

:D
plasticman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby kabubi » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:14 am

plasticman,

how many inches is the overall thickness of the slate? did you use one layer or did you use a couple or series of layers? pray tell, good sir.

thanx!

k
kabubi
Legend
Legend

wow

Postby fattybaldhead » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:33 am

doc, congrats! kailan tayo ulit audio sa inyo?
fattybaldhead
Citizen
Citizen

Postby plasticman » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:54 am

sir kabubi,

i used layers of 20mm thick slate. Thicker ones are by order basis and the supplier cannot give any time frame as to availability

sir fattybaldhead,

pls give me a few more days to break-in the denon cart. Wala pa ata akong 10 hours :(
plasticman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby stereophile » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:00 am

Tristan- Congratulations! It's good you finally got to post the very first slate decked plinth 301 and the 2nd of the triumvirate Thomas Schick 12in arms. It is beautiful to look at with the (2) 12in arms :!: :shock: Looking forward to hearing it with the mono cart installed. 8)
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby dante » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:30 am

Ganda talaga nito Pards. And we have the same TTs! :lol: :lol: Session!
dante
cool dude

Postby DCO » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:35 am

Tristan,
Congrats! looks very nice.. :D
:P
DCO
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby plasticman » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:47 am

Thanks stereophile, Dante and DCO!

I'll invite people over soon. I just need some time to log more break-in time to the denon cart. 2 hours lang ang nadagdag ko the entire week :( :x
plasticman
Citizen
Citizen

Previous

Return to IDLER TURNTABLES