Rubberized 301!

classic analog rigs Thorens, Garrard, Lenco, EMT, etc..

Moderators: setup1, setup2

Re: Rubberized 301!

Postby Come_On » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:14 am

Doc,

I just noticed that the rubber plinth evolved from pure rubber plinth > rubber with aluminum > rubber turn table stand since the Garrard is now on a Granite Plinth with what seems to be some isolation material in between the rubber and the granite. Does this mean that you like the sonic characteristic of the granite more than the rubber kasi basically you are not using the rubber as a plinth but merely as a stand.
Come_On

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:30 am

doclits...

wow what an evolution! congrats

would like to join your next session to listen to these babies...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby stereophile » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:32 pm

Come_On wrote:Doc,

I just noticed that the rubber plinth evolved from pure rubber plinth > rubber with aluminum > rubber turn table stand since the Garrard is now on a Granite Plinth with what seems to be some isolation material in between the rubber and the granite.

Initially, I raised the granite off the rubber stand with 1inch rubber footers for ventilation. I have since taken them out. The larger contact area between the rubber & granite seems to absorb vibration better. The motor/ttable doesn't run hot despite the granite resting directly on the rubber.

Come_On wrote:Does this mean that you like the sonic characteristic of the granite more than the rubber kasi basically you are not using the rubber as a plinth but merely as a stand.

I like the sonics of both plinths...maybe because they do not impart additional coloration due to better vibration drainage. It's more of the individual cart sonics/voice that I hear at present. :)
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby stereophile » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:49 pm

vintage_dog wrote:doclits...

wow what an evolution! congrats

would like to join your next session to listen to these babies...

Francis- Thanks for your comments. I know these 'deviant' plinths are not for everyone. I like them sonically and can live with their looks. I will continue to slap LP after LP on them. You are always welcome to dropby and have a listen. I've been running them for sometime now.

What you may find interesting, are the (2) Denon DL-103R carts mounted on the double armed Grease Bearing Garrard 301. One is clad in kamagong, the other in 10,000 BC old mammoth tusk from Siberia! Some friends have dropped by and listened to them. Some are for the woody, some are for the ebony! Both were made by Master Craftsman & fellow WS member MandyM!
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby Superman » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:09 am

CONGRATS Doc!! :D :D :D
Superman
Master Showman

Previous

Return to IDLER TURNTABLES