Garrards & Thorens in a Lair

classic analog rigs Thorens, Garrard, Lenco, EMT, etc..

Moderators: setup1, setup2

Garrards & Thorens in a Lair

Postby dimfer » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:37 am

I spent a good part of my afternoon today at Mr. DB's lair and he got quite a stash of gears. I am not into analog (yet) that's why I did not appreciate his collection as much as more knowledgeable guys would, but nevertheless, I am quite impressed.

He got some 301's and this is the only one hooked up on his main rig.
This plinth cost him well over $ 3,000, quite nice (you guy's should appreciate the deal you are getting from Joey). I like the idea of detachable armboard. He has 4 or 5 different armboard for most of his tables, made of different materials for different sonic flavors. The spindle and bearing was replaced by Slatedeck.

The big one, the Loricraft 501 with the Dynavector arm, currently in the process of being dismantled. He is not happy with the original plinth that came from Loricraft, he's sending it to the US to get another plinth. One of his armboards is made of solid brass, weighing 20 lbs. The 401 is currently with the plinth maker.

the rest of his main rig, Shindo Massetto pre-amp, VTL amps, Purist Audio Cables, Tara Labs & other brand I forgot (meron bang Silkworms?), Rik Rak stand,Allnic Phono pre-amp, Genesis 5.2 speakers

I was not able to take lots pictures because my daughter took all of our cameras with her to Paris, nanghiram lang ako sa niece ko. Will take more pictures on my next trip.

He got more analog gears - the ones I could recall were Goldmund Table with Goldmund arm, a Verdier table with SME 3012 and another arm that I can't remember, an Oracle Delphi at iba pa. For arm, he got 4 SAEC, Graham Phantom, and maybe 20 more in boxes and on display all over the house. For headshell - he probably has more than 20 that we looked at. For card - ang natatandaan ko lang, meron syang 3 Zyx Uni and some Koetsus.

What's the deal with the SAEC tonearms, is it that good? It seems to me it is his favorite.

He went thru 17 phono preamps last year, from Mark Levinson,Aesthetix, Shindo, ARC and he said you name it, he had it. He now uses a custom Allnic, like the one used by the designer with 14 tubes. It must be good because he said he is positive he will not dispose of it anymore. I might buy 1 of the cheaper models from him to try (he bought 9 pcs for himself and his friends).

will post more pictures when I get a chance to take more. oops, I deleted the picture of the Thorens TD124 pala.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby pigdog » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:44 am

Tube newbie come and join the darkside! you know you are one of us!!!! we know you will be a great candidate to go analogue :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: but really join the club! plenty of good members who can help you plus you can be among the exclusive members na may gwapo na turttable at gwapo looks! :D
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby JackD201 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:15 pm

Ches, Ding has been an analog guy himself for a long time ;)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby dimfer » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:24 pm

pigdog wrote:Tube newbie come and join the darkside! you know you are one of us!!!! we know you will be a great candidate to go analogue :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: but really join the club! plenty of good members who can help you plus you can be among the exclusive members na may gwapo na turttable at gwapo looks! :D

thanks for the invite to join the darkside Chester. I actually have :oops: currently awaiting (anxiously) the arrival of a very old (SN 1580) hammerstone grey 301. I am gathering information about plinths, tonearms and stuff, and Mr DB knows his Garrards. Also scheduled to visit agon's Omegaman to listen to his full blown Shindo Garrard 301 and full blown Shindo system.

I declared that I will pursue digital happiness not too long ago, while I had not taken a single step towards that direction since, here I am, checking out analog gears. Hirap talaga ng puro basa sa bikini bottom, nahahawa tuloy.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dimfer » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:38 pm

JackD201 wrote:Ches, Ding has been an analog guy himself for a long time ;)

yes, I remember paying Php .50 more for Imelda Papin's "Bakit" single when I was still in high school because the local record store cannot keep enough of it in stock :oops:

kidding aside - my first step into hifi about two years ago was buying an Oracle Delphi TT and a collection of 500 lps, even before I bought my MBLs and my current gears. Medyo nahihinto lang mainly because my cdp/dac sounded much better than my analog and I love the convenience of cd(no flipping and remote control). I think will still pursue digital, but I want to give analog another try.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dimfer » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:55 am

additional pictures from the first trip, was not able to take pictures on succeeding trip

Verdier with 3012 (I think)

TD 124 with SAEC

some spare headshells & tonearm (I think this one is Graham Phantom, not sure)
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:45 am

Wow a Mint 45 Single of Japan - Ghosts my favorite song from Sylvian, Karn and Sakamoto!!!!!!! Please tell your friend if he gets a double I'll take his old one :D

I love the burl (tama ba) wood of the 124 plinth.

That looks to be a pre 2.2 Graham arm, Ding. :)
JackD201
Immortal

Return to IDLER TURNTABLES