Stone Cold 301s

classic analog rigs Thorens, Garrard, Lenco, EMT, etc..

Moderators: setup1, setup2

Postby stereophile » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:25 pm

Kabubs- Time for you to bring out your own take of FLINSTONE plinth(s) :!: :wink:
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby Superman » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:30 pm

stereophile wrote:Kabubs- Time for you to bring out your own take of FLINSTONE plinth(s) :!: :wink:

OO NGA! Ilabas mo na!
Superman
Master Showman

Postby Superman » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:35 pm

Ganda ng Garrard ni Tonya! :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby tonya » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:39 am

kabubi wrote:
tonya wrote:
stereophile wrote:What cart is mounted :?:

Thanks, Its a vintage ADC XLM mm cart

uy, i've read so many good things about that cart, Tony!!!

congrats nga pala sa "barok" plinth mo :D maghintay-hintay lang kayo, i will follow the same cobbled stone path :D

the set ups of BenC, Orcalicious and Red Tonya (better than Red Sonja, dontcha think?) make me sing "Stone In Love With You"

Thanks to all,

Kabubi,
I know you will find your desired "Stone", Malapit ka nang maging member ng "Barok".
Yes, the ADC sings well better than the shure v15.

Supes,
Ilabas mo na and niluluto mong "plato"
tonya
Citizen
Citizen

Postby John Martin » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:01 am

Guys, Do you have pics on the production process of Fred and Barney? Pls post it if you don't mind. Im quite curious on the stone cutting process.

And do you put anything in between the Table and the plinth. Something like a rubber or sealant to reduce resonances?
John Martin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby stereophile » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:56 am

Sorry. Have no pics about the process. You have to provide the stone cutters w/ a template, preferably out of wood. This is the same process as cutting out the granite for a sink. I just picked it up after 3 days. I understand they use metal saw blades to do this. This is the reason for question of Buboy about water jet cutters. SLATEDECK uses water jet cutters for their slate plinths w/c allows precise computer guided cutting. It is also very costly. A double plinth in slate costs GBP1500+ shipping excluded :!: :shock:

As to mounting the 301 on the plinth, there are many schools of thought: simply drop-in/unbolted, bolt down or use silicone washers like BenC, etc. The choice depends on how the sonics turn up. Mine is simply bolted down onto the granite as is the tonearm. No armboard.

Next question: how to support the plinth :?: Some will drop it into a wood box. In the case of Benc, he uses rollerballs for isolatin vs. springs vs, sorbothane rubber. Your choice. Others will support with cones or metal posts. Or you can do it as I do: minimalist/skeletal. It's simply resting on (3) porcelain tea cups :!: Despite that, the sound is intoxicating :!: Just ask TonyA, Bongsikool, Brian_mico, and the others... :lol2:
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby stereophile » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:16 am

Ok. Here is the FAMILY picture of the FLINSTONES:
BenC's 401

StereOrca's 301

Squidward's 301
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby TheAnalogSource » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:36 am

i wonder if the different colors will each have their own individual sonic flavor....

sarap siguro nun......

stone rolling :wink: :lol:

calling melo..... post mo din dito un stone cold optonica mo :shock: :D
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby stereophile » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:42 am

It's plinth rolling...that's what the experiment is all about. Between granite, I doubt there would be much difference sonically. I'd like to have one made out of slate. Unfortunately slate presents some logistical difficulties w/c the 'baroks' :wink: have to solve.
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby TheAnalogSource » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:49 am

hi doc, just a thought.... maybe you can also look into if you can deduce from the mineral content what character it will have?

like maybe the yellowish/reddish ones with increase iron content will be more inclined towards highs while that of the black ones maybe darker :)
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby stereophile » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:54 am

Granite is an igneous rock( from molten lava). Between them, I doubt there would be much difference. I believe you'd hear a diff if it was a sedimentary rock, etc.
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby bass_nut » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:57 am

hi Halls,

granite as i was informed is volcanic super heated earth material... took thousands (or billions) of years to harden... cutting is difficult... producing shiny smooth surface more difficult... special machines & cutting materials are used... water is usually combined to the cutting blade to reduce super heat that might destroy both the cutting surface and the stone... a cutter should be far harder than granite... diamond it is :!: ... steel & other common metal substance will melt like butter :(

the degree of skill required to work on granite factories is admirable... health risk is part of it as stone dust have potential of entering the lungs & thereby destroying it. ayan sir, doctor ako sa tono na yan :lol: :lol:

there may be mass density variations per kind of stone... but the sheer process on how mother nature produced such stones (earth material) is amazing... the solid character reflected by its very heavy weight ( or mass density) surely lessen the possibility of resonance caused by sound wave & sound pressure...

kaya it will be understandable for me to drool by just looking at the stone mounted turnTable... the "pure" musical notes 8)

whew :roll: i hope i did not confuse your morning :D :lol: :lol:

dagdag: granite is usually sourced from India & China and most were previously processed in Italy kaya we often hear "Italian granite"... now China does this cheaper & a little bit better under Italian tech guys :) the granite slabs being used and installed on beautiful hotels in Beijing will prove this.

Hoover Dam in Las Vegas Nevada was cut thru giant granite mountains :!: :!: i did not appreciate the man made dam but the nature produced stones & mountains where the dam was built :D :lol: :D

Philippines though volcanic in origin is still too young. no granite here but marble according to some local stone experts. we are still in the marble stage... kaya bagets pa ang Pinas :D

cheers!!
fer
Last edited by bass_nut on Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
bass_nut
Master
Master

Postby DCO » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:59 am

hi Halls,

granite as i was informed is volcanic super heated earth material... took thousands (or billions) of years to hardened... cutting is difficult... producing shiny smooth surface more difficult... special machines & cutting materials are used... water is usually combined to the cutting blade to reduce super heat that might destroy both the cutting surface and the stone...

there may be mass density variations per kind of stone... but the sheer process on how mother nature produced such stones (earth material) is amazing... the solid character refelcted by its very heavy weight ( or mass density) surely lessen the possibility of resonance caused by sound wave & sound pressure...

kaya it will be understandable for me to drool by just looking at the stone mounted turnTable... the "pure" musical notes

whew i hope i did not confuse your morning

cheers !!
fer

Fer are you a Doc or an Engr :?:
:lol: :lol:
DCO
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby RHYTHM SECTION » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:23 am

DCO wrote:
hi Halls,

granite as i was informed is volcanic super heated earth material... took thousands (or billions) of years to hardened... cutting is difficult... producing shiny smooth surface more difficult... special machines & cutting materials are used... water is usually combined to the cutting blade to reduce super heat that might destroy both the cutting surface and the stone...

there may be mass density variations per kind of stone... but the sheer process on how mother nature produced such stones (earth material) is amazing... the solid character refelcted by its very heavy weight ( or mass density) surely lessen the possibility of resonance caused by sound wave & sound pressure...

kaya it will be understandable for me to drool by just looking at the stone mounted turnTable... the "pure" musical notes

whew i hope i did not confuse your morning

cheers !!
fer

Fer are you a Doc or an Engr :?:
:lol: :lol:

marami cguro nito sa pampangga,3yrs ago i visit a house under constuction floorings and stairs made of marbles and granite,ganun din house ni doc! or talagang maraming bigtime dyan sa inyo doc. :?: :lol: :lol:
RHYTHM SECTION
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Mamimili » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:20 am

John Martin wrote:Guys, Do you have pics on the production process of Fred and Barney? Pls post it if you don't mind. Im quite curious on the stone cutting process.

And do you put anything in between the Table and the plinth. Something like a rubber or sealant to reduce resonances?

On Slatedeck's site they say use nothing between the TT and the plinth "or lose the benefit of using slate". Then they stress the importance of a flat finish.
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby quarterback » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:37 am

kabubi wrote:does anyone here know where i can the services of a water jet cutter???

Tuna man, baka may alam ka?

Kabubs,

what do you want done. kung simple cutting lang. diamond bit sanding disc lang plus coke litro filled with water and maliit na butas sa cover. plus assistant na tagahawak ng bote ng coke. the idea is to reduce heat and dust during cutting.

seriously, text me 0917-895-1653. let's discuss what you want done.

Chito
quarterback
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby stereophile » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:44 am

halls wrote:i wonder if the different colors will each have their own individual sonic flavor....

sarap siguro nun......

stone rolling :wink: :lol:

O di kaya... rolling stones... :wink:
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby bass_nut » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:52 am

Fer are you a Doc or an Engr

:lol: :lol: :lol:
hi Do,
i love science and the art that goes with it 8) maybe doc Lito also feel this.

the ever reliable Garard turntable plus the stones... surely wonderful

the stones per se speak of history... massive geological history... each speck, color, pattern... this is a kind of history that was not altered nor edited by man (yet)... for me, each stone is as valuable as a diamond... napakaganda... kamanghamangha sa isang ordinaryong tao na tulad ko... kaya each time i step & walk thru a granite floor i feel so fortunate... how generous nature was to me and to us all 8)

btw, Happy EDSA 1 to everyone !!
bass_nut
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:55 am

Just met a guy with a computerised waterjet cutter in KL.
He can get slate from anywhere easily :D , except Welsh slate :(
I showed him 301 plinth cutout photographs and a Rega plinth, he said "No problem" :D

I plan to have a simple 20 or 25mm plinth made for a Mycro, as it will fit in my handcarry suitcase, i can test the waters with airlines and you guys can check the workmanship.

Early days, work intrudes so i guess the end of March before i get the plinth back to Manila.
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby stereophile » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:02 pm

doc fer- you got my point exactly. There is a natural beauty in stone, like in the black galaxy granite I chose. Those little crystals twinkle when the light hits them (set behind the black background) is simply beautiful to behold. No two stones are the same. It's what makes my plinth unique and personal. As you mentioned, it took thousands, maybe millions of years for nature to make this beautiful hard stone... paired w/ a vintage Garrard 301= natural analog art :?: :!: :wink:

May I invite you over for a listen next time you are in town :?: :wink:
stereophile
vinyl junkie

PreviousNext

Return to IDLER TURNTABLES