My Garrard 301

classic analog rigs Thorens, Garrard, Lenco, EMT, etc..

Moderators: setup1, setup2

Postby mullard88 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:39 pm

amandarae,

Really nice. May I ask what cartridge is mounted on the tonearm?
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby amandarae » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:57 pm

setup1 wrote:Hi Abe,

Congrats on a great job! So what's the next step 755A/OB or heat up the soldering iron?

Happy listening!

Regards,

je

Joseph,

No, I should say thank you! You know that you and Joel were instrumental on this project of mine. I will not hesitate to admit it and give credits when credits are due.

As for the 755A/OB or another idler tt or a preamp, I do not know yet. I am happy with what I have now and its time to enjoy them for a little while longer. Frankly speaking, sometimes the thought of stopping the "craziness" of accumulating gears crosses my mind. But only sometimes :D :D :D

Who knows, maybe I get lucky to have an OB set up (no pun intended) someday when I stumble on an intact pair of 755A's. You never know! One thing for sure, I am not a quitter!!! :) You will hear from me when the "rubber hits the pavement" I can assure you. Thanks again!
Last edited by amandarae on Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby amandarae » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:03 pm

mullard88 wrote:amandarae,

Really nice. May I ask what cartridge is mounted on the tonearm?

A plain vanilla Denon 103 sir! The arm is designed with the Denon and Ortofon SPU-G in mind for the Garrard 301 series table by the designer/manufacturer (Thomas Schick who owns a 301).

Another version of the tonearm is available for the SPU-A because of the difference in length of the headshell geometry. At least that is what I understand.

regards,

Abe
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mullard88 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:01 am

amandarae,

Thank you.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby amandarae » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:12 am

mullard88 wrote:amandarae,

Thank you.

Welcome!
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

301 plinth

Postby odaey » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:23 pm

Superb looking and finely crafted turntable. No doubt it will sound superb as well :shock:

I was just hoping if you could comment on your choice of material for the tonearm base. I have tried acrylic, wood and metal on my plinths with audible differences. I would really appreciate if you could share your thoughts with us.
odaey
Citizen
Citizen

Re: 301 plinth

Postby amandarae » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:18 am

odaey wrote:Superb looking and finely crafted turntable. No doubt it will sound superb as well :shock:

I was just hoping if you could comment on your choice of material for the tonearm base. I have tried acrylic, wood and metal on my plinths with audible differences. I would really appreciate if you could share your thoughts with us.

Hello odaey,

I use a 1/4" birch ply because it is easier for me to build. Frankly speaking, I do not have any knowledge what material sound best for an arm board. People says brass is the best thing, but it will cost an arm and a leg to fabricate one over here. I have not heard acrylic nor exotic woods except that on my Teres, it has a cantilever type Rosewood armboard. I never had the chance to change it though and find out if there's a difference.

regards,

Abe
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: 301 plinth

Postby joe3rp » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:28 am

odaey wrote:I have tried acrylic, wood and metal on my plinths with audible differences. I would really appreciate if you could share your thoughts with us.

Please share your findings..ty
joe3rp
Fanatic
Fanatic

arm board

Postby odaey » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:42 pm

Abe,

Thanks for sharing. To be honest i don't really know much either about whats best to use for the armboard. I do hear some differences with what have, i was just hoping you might have the same observations and validate what i was hearing.

joe3rp,

I don't have the CLD sandwhich plinth that Abe has but his work has inspired me to try it. What i use alternately is a loricraft style plinth made of oak and another plinth made of solid narra. The armboard/base i use were actually borrowed from a michell t.t. meant for sme arms. I had 2 pcs made of acrylic by killer mike and another made of solid oak. The aluminum base seems to offer better precision in focus, imaging and depth plus better articulation in the bass. The wooden armbase seems to offer greater openess in the midrange. I decided on using oak since it was in my experience less prone to cracking and warping compared to the local woods available. Would have posted some pics but seeing the work of you guys can be quite intimidating :cry:
odaey
Citizen
Citizen

Postby stereophile » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:21 pm

Abe- I thought it best that this thread be moved to the proper forum with it's stablemates.Image
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby amandarae » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:49 pm

stereophile wrote:Abe- I thought it best that this thread be moved to the proper forum with it's stablemates.Image

Thanks doc Lito for moving this thread to the proper place! So....how's your Cream Grease Bearing Garrard restoration coming along?

regards,

Abe
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby stereophile » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:04 pm

amandarae wrote:...Thanks doc Lito for moving this thread to the proper place! So....how's your Cream Grease Bearing Garrard restoration coming along?

regards,

Abe

Abe- Image I've re-lubed the GB and oiled the linkages. It runs smoothly. I'm still undecided on what plinth to use as with the tonearm. It's a work in progress bro'. With so many beautiful plinths coming out from you and joey...those are tough acts to follow. ImageImage
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby amandarae » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:01 am

stereophile wrote:
amandarae wrote:...Thanks doc Lito for moving this thread to the proper place! So....how's your Cream Grease Bearing Garrard restoration coming along?

regards,

Abe

Abe- Image I've re-lubed the GB and oiled the linkages. It runs smoothly. I'm still undecided on what plinth to use as with the tonearm. It's a work in progress bro'. With so many beautiful plinths coming out from you and joey...those are tough acts to follow. ImageImage

Great! 8) Looking forward to seeing your table once it's complete. Yep! I hear you. It took me many months to have mine running. Speed variation, motor vibration, plinth construction taking into consideration the arm you want to use, etc.

All I can say is that if I have to do it all over again, I will without any hesitation nor regrets!

Goodluck!

best,

Abe
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to IDLER TURNTABLES