Cartridge Recommendations

classic analog rigs Thorens, Garrard, Lenco, EMT, etc..

Moderators: setup1, setup2

Postby Jon Agner » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:09 pm

Santiago,

I think I know where you're at, as I was also in that situation before. When I planned to acquire a Koetsu black last year, I was using an entry level Pro-Ject debut turntable. Knowing that TT would not match the cartridge, I upgraded my turntable into a Pro-Ject 1xpression/Pro-Ject 8.6c tonearm which, as some reviewers stated, would mate well with the Koetsu. (rest of the story can be read on the member's system forum ;) )

By the end of the year, my turntable was refitted with a Pro-Ject 9c tonearm and I'm already using a Koetsu Rosewood Standard - Well, I didn't really upgrade from a Black to a Rosewood, just so happened that I had a chance to listen to a higher-end koetsu (Blue Lace) that it made me decide not to pursue the Black and instead go for the Rosewood... a US$1,000 difference in the price tag but at least I'm happy with it.

Happy hunting :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:44 pm

santiago wrote:Hi Arnold.

This has repeated itself until I had to settle on Lamm as the ultimate gear of choice

Yeah Baby!!!!! My kinda guy!!!!!

Ooooops! That got away from me :lol:

Oh Mr. Mod shouldn't this be moved to ANALOG?

Back on Topic

There's a topic on price distribution of analog gear. Table vs. Arm vs. Cart. You may wanna surf around the Analog section. Your question was discussed at length.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby mullard88 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:47 pm

santiago,

May I suggest another "circle" instead of the trapping upgrade circle that had drained you of funds and made you hesitant to procure more toys of our hobby. Go ahead and purchase all the cartridges whose flavors you enjoy without thinking of whether your rega is good enough or not. This will be your "circle of cartridges" which will take turns doing duty on your tonearm depending on the listening mood you're in. Then, go for the turntable you have the most confidence in. As for the tonearm, get one that is very flexible. The dynavector is the first one that comes to my mind. It has three counterweights that will be able to match almost any cartridge that you may mount. The headshell is removeable so you can have your other cartridges pre-mounted on their respective headshells and ready to plug into the tonearm. I'm sure there are other tonearms that are just as flexible. This way, you just spend once for the turntable and tonearm and you have an arsenal of cartridges. Hence, you will not waste money in upgrades. Also, this may be a way to prevent burn-out in our hobby.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby santiago » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:27 pm

Hi Mullard,

Sounds like a good idea. I have yet to learn how to mount cartridges with my twitchy arms. If we are to consider a circle of cartridges, what would you recommend as a circle that would match different musical moods or types of music? My takeaway from talking to people and dealers back in Singapore are:

Clearaudio- Quite sharp and bright
Lyra- On the sharp side (much less than Clearaudio) and dynamic
Dynavector-Neutral/Dynamic
Benz- Mellow/ Grows on you/ Less fatigue

Put it another way, what cartridge would you recommend for:

Standard Jazz (50s/60s)
Progressive, Modern day Jazz or more complicated music
Classical
Rock

It is easier to think in these terms. Appreciate your thoughts.
santiago
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:36 pm

mullard88 wrote:santiago,

May I suggest another "circle" instead of the trapping upgrade circle that had drained you of funds and made you hesitant to procure more toys of our hobby. Go ahead and purchase all the cartridges whose flavors you enjoy without thinking of whether your rega is good enough or not. This will be your "circle of cartridges" which will take turns doing duty on your tonearm depending on the listening mood you're in. Then, go for the turntable you have the most confidence in. As for the tonearm, get one that is very flexible. The dynavector is the first one that comes to my mind. It has three counterweights that will be able to match almost any cartridge that you may mount. The headshell is removeable so you can have your other cartridges pre-mounted on their respective headshells and ready to plug into the tonearm. I'm sure there are other tonearms that are just as flexible. This way, you just spend once for the turntable and tonearm and you have an arsenal of cartridges. Hence, you will not waste money in upgrades. Also, this may be a way to prevent burn-out in our hobby.

I have a much smaller circle than Mullard (more like a triangle actually)but I do agree with him on this.

I use a Graham Phantom with multiple arm wands. A switch in carts in my own Lamm based system feels like getting a whole new system. It can really be refreshing.

I have a write up in the review section if you'd care to look. I'm not a serial switcher though and often leave a cart on for more than a month at a time unless a particular LP shows up that requires more specialized matching (at least that's the story I try to sell myself) :lol: .
JackD201
Immortal

Postby santiago » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:38 am

Hi Jack,

Read your well written reviews on the carts! I may just do exactly what you did except on a more limited budget.

I can't wait to hear the sidewalls disappear and be "one" with the music.

By the way did you use the Lamm LP2 phonostage when you did those reviews?
santiago
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:08 pm

Hi Santiago,

At the time the reviews were written I was using my equally adorable, wait that makes it sound like a puppy, rather excellent BAT VK-P10 SE.

In comparing the BAT sound to Lamm in broad strokes (whether phonostage, preamps or poweramps) while both exhibit very similar tonality being on the ever so slightly warm and sweet side of neutral without sacrificing speed, detail and resolution. They do differ in presentation. The BATs have more float. Images are more ethereal. Kind of how one might imagine lying down on a cloud and listening to cherubs playing harps. While as you well know with the Lamms we get images that are less ethereal or heavenly and are thus more solid and grounded. On Piano, kickdrums and double bass we feel more of the "gapang" where these instruments connect to us through our feet and whatever it is we are sitting on. While I get more of the stunning and breathtaking harmonics tubes (lots of them!) bring forth with the BATs I get more timbre with the Lamm. In other words with the BAT I get a better sense of the movement of air be it gust, breeze or ripple while with the Lamms I get a better sense of what materials flesh, wood, metal, plastic, leather, hair, felt or bone that makes the air move.

Despite the differences which are actually much much smaller than my writing might suggest, the three carts display the same characteristics with either phonostage. A testament to the neutrality of these 2 thoroughbred phonostages.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby santiago » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:55 pm

Hi Jack/Mullen

A collection of cartridges should be the way to go. Have already started with the Dynavector xx2 and based on reviews am thinking of the Koetsu as the next addition.

Jack, thanks also for describing the sound of a BAT, which must be a great musical experience. Honestly like the cloudy/airy sound. I would also be curious to know whether you have reviewed or tried Cary or Mcintosh amplification. Look forward to hearing your reviews, if any, on these.

Many thanks,
santiago
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:39 pm

I have very, very little listening time on Cary and McIntosh. Cary is a relatively new entrant in te Philippines while McIntosh has not enjoyed distribution here since the early 90's I think when Mr. Ang used to bring them in.

My Urushi will soon be joining the collection of Koetsu King in exchange for his Jade Platinum which in turn will be replaced by two more exotic "stone bodies".

I agree with Jon Agner, for your next cart there's no way you can go wrong with a Koetsu. I also agree that going for the Rosewood yields for a price to performance ratio that is extremely easy to justify.

I'd very much like to try the ZYX Airy S but Eric doesn't want to lend me one :P Are you reading this Pican? :lol:

Easy arm or tough arm, I must say that turntable tweaking ought to qualify as a hobby in itself :lol: With the right tools I find I enjoy it the way I enjoyed building and painting model airplanes as a child.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby pican » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:35 pm

Yes, Sir Jack, am reading it. Am feverishly working on it. When it comes,
I am sure it will throw your homeothasis out-of-whack. Ha, ha!

Pic
pican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:41 pm

pican wrote:Yes, Sir Jack, am reading it. Am feverishly working on it. When it comes,
I am sure it will throw your homeothasis out-of-whack. Ha, ha!

Pic

That's what I wanted to hear!

Yung ZYX Universe pang Ttommy :twisted:
JackD201
Immortal

Cartridge Recommendations

Postby aresti » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:04 pm

Can you please advise where in Manila is a new Denon DL-103 MC available? I used to have a Supex 900 and 1000, but they're both gone now. Thanks.
aresti
aresti
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Cartridge Recommendations

Postby Jon Agner » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:44 pm

aresti wrote:Can you please advise where in Manila is a new Denon DL-103 MC available? I used to have a Supex 900 and 1000, but they're both gone now. Thanks.
aresti

Try both Audio Den and Architectural Audio. :) They may have it.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby mullard88 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:06 pm

Hi santiago,

My apologies for this late reply.

I hate to disappoint you but I do not feel that you should purchase cartridges just because I recommended it. Neither could I recommend cartridges based on tlhe music you listen to. Each cartridge would to a certain extent interpret the recorded music differently and it comes down to a matter of whether you enjoy its interpretation or not. If you watched American Idol, there was a season when the finalists were Mcphee and Hicks. To my ears, Mcphee had the greater range as her singing was much closer in style to the original artists interpretations; on the other hand, Hicks had his own signature on the songs he sang. It is really your vote for who you prefer to listen to. Each one of these excellent singers colors his/her song to a certain degree.

In my view, cartridges are akin to the singer. The music is the item that is there for the singer to sing. We are the audience and we select which singer we like to listen to.

My other way of viewing cartridges is to look at them as sunglasses for our ears. The recording is the sight that our ears will "view". It is our option to pick which color lens or even to remove the lens to let our ears "view" the recording.

I'm afraid my recommendation for you is to audition. This is a very personal journey. You should remember that in all your auditioning, there is only one person to be satisfied and that is yourself.

Having said all that, I only feel comfortable in giving you a list of cartridges which I encourage you to audition and discover for yourself which one(s) you truly enjoy. These are the ones that I personally had/have or would consider auditioning/acquiring.

My recommendations for you to audition are:
A. Locally available:
1. koetsu
2. 47 lab mcbee
3. grado gold
B. Since you resided in Singapore, I assume that you travel. I was told that Manny Huber of FM Acoustic is very happy with a Swiss cartridge called Inner Magic. You might be able to find a dealer for an audition. This is one cartridge that I would also like to audition.

I hope that this post will be of some use to you. And even more, I hope that this would lead you out of the upgrade cycle.

Have fun with the auditions.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mullard88 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:17 pm

aresti,

What do you mean "gone"? If you still have the Supex cartridge(s), Cartridgeman might be able to restore it(them) for you.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby santiago » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:15 pm

Hi Mullard,

Well said. Sometimes there is this impulsive tendency in me that has got me into audio purchases which only lasted for short holding periods due to this never ending desire to upgrade. Need to learn from past mistakes. Through auditoning and more careful research, perhaps less mistakes in the future. Thanks for your advise.

Many thanks
santiago
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mullard88 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:08 pm

Hi santiago,

Impulsive tendencies that lead to mistakes are not all that bad. Lessons worth learning are always expensive. I also have the same tendencies and may have more than my fair share of it. But life is mysterious. Many years ago, I acquired a Koetsu Ken Chan only to discover that it would not fit on my tonearm. I sold this to Jadis. Lesson learned is to acquire a more flexible tonearm. Little did I know that Jadis will be so possessed wtih the Koetsu sound that he would apply for the dealership. I'm happy now that Koetsu has a representative here to the advantage of our community. Mysterious turn of events, but not a bad mistake from my viewpoint.

You claim to like the cloudy/airy flavor. In the Koetsu models, it's the stone bodies. Arrange an audition when you are ready. You just might be seduced by the Koetsu cherubs.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby santiago » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:10 pm

Hi Mullard,

Just two last questions:

1) Already purchased a Dynavector xx2. Does a Koetsu add diversity or are they similar in sound to DVs?

2) Do you see a big difference between the Koetsu Black and Rosewood? Noticed Jon Anger jumped straight to the Rosewood.

Appreciate your inputs.

Many thanks,
santiago
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mullard88 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:53 pm

Hi santiago,

I hate to disappoint you again. I find your questions very difficult to answer.

I have never heard the Dynavector xx2. However, I still tend to believe that the Dynavector xx2 will sound different from any koetsu. Koetsus are colorful and their colors are such that it defines a 'personality" to the way it reproduces music, even to the extent that there may be times when I felt that the cartridge tells me "this is how it should sound". But it's not all technical description of the sound that I experience. You are a lamm owner and you spoke of them as being "magical". There is also the koetsu "magic" similar to the lamm "magic". It makes me hear not just with my ears but also makes me feel what I hear. If you could imagine a person watching a parade from behind a closed window as against a person watching a parade from an open window. In both cases, the person sees the parade, but with an open window, the person can hear the "feel" of the parade. With this extra sensation, the koetsu makes me forget about listening and before I know it, I am just enjoying the music. The koetsu is good for nights when I am in such a mood.

Yesterday, before Jadis helped me install a koetsu, we listened one last time to Joan Baez through the decca london cartridge. The most attention catching difference between the two was that when Joan Baez sang through the koetsu, we could hear that she was almost crying when she was singing.

I apologize again regarding the sonic gap between the black and the rosewood. I owned a black in the early 1980s and I believe the black today uses different body material and magnet. If it would be of any interest, my memories of my old black is that music is always sang or performed by full bodied musicians. It was fantastic at imaging and soundstaging. There was zero fatigue and it's way with musical reproduction just grew on me; so much that I jumped into a koetsu ken chan.

Jon Agner decided to purchase a rosewood instead of a black after listening to a blue lace. I don't even know if he listened to the black or the rosewood. All I know is that he is very happy with his rosewood. You might want to surf through Jon Agner's system in the members' systems posts. Perhaps he was victimized by the koetsu "magic". He is the only one who could shed light on his decision. I don't know if his decision was based on the incremental sonic difference compared to the incremental price difference.

My apologies once again for not being able to answer your questions. I just hope that I am able to somehow shed some light around your questions.

If you have not yet done so, you may also want to surf through ttommy's kuzzi, koetsu, coo.

Perhaps, the other koetsu users like coltrane, vintage dog, dafos, Jon Agner, JackD201, ttommy, etc.. might care to share and enlighten us on how their decision to purchase and which model to select came about.

I can only hope that you find time to audition and that koetsu will be worthy enough for you to include in your "circle" of cartridges.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:45 am

Who me?

Okay. I actually started with clearaudio carts since I was using a VPI Aries 2 aka the last of the wood bodied VPIs. At the time VPI tables were voiced with clearaudio carts my first was a CA Sigma, the entry level "hammerhead" which I accidentally killed due to carelessness while trying to eradicate hum. I had this rebuilt but this time with the innards of a Concerto. This was bought by my cousin (not Keith and later found its way to Mr. VW man). In the meantime I upgraded to the CA Strad. I was very happy with the combination until I came upon an irresistable deal to let go of my Aries 2 and head over to "nothing more to upgrade territory" with the TNT-HRX fitted with a Phantom to boot.

Now this combination prompted me to first go whole hog and trade in for the Clearaudio Titanium and second to seek out the cart that the HRX was designed with in the first place....the Dynavector XV-1s.

This brings us to the arm. The Phantom is probably the easiest pivot arm to set up and it has as one of its key features the ability to just swap armwands. I just had to take advantage of this key feature.

Why Koetsu? Mainly, I love the sound of Jadis' system (he ws using a Black at the time). There is always a feeling of connection to the music he likes to play. I'd even take breaks from Congress to invade jadis' home just to get a few minutes in. This was waaaaaaay before he became the dealer here. In short, i'd wanted one since then.

Since I have contrasted the carts in the review you've read I'll try my best to compare the black vs. rosewood vs. urushi. I'd like to point out that the innards of these carts are almost identical but the bodies aren't. The black is a block while the rosewoods and urushis have gently tapered bottoms. The wood also differs and with the Urushis the wood is lacquered. the primary difference is in the density of the cartridge body. The higher the density the higher the resonant frequency. The classic harmonic signature moves up the scale the stiffer the body gets. The black will sound subjectively slower because the colors are in the low midband, while the rosewoods squarely in the midband and the urushis a touch higher. So, gut, solar plexus chest. All will hit those magic notes that will give that feeling of having your breath sucked out of you from time to time. With me though these notes lay in different half ovtaves depending on the cart body. According to the stone owners the combination of platinum magnets and bodies of still higher density brings the resonant frequency higher still while retaing a lot of the Urushi's qualities (now chest to head)

Why wood over stone? Practical restraints. The woodies have higher output and with the BAT made for a better match. Why am I going Jade? Now that I also have a Lamm LP2 I can go for these tiny output carts. It so quiet even if it is a tube unit that they can handle the much lower output of the Jade Platinum without my having to switch from direct to step-up as i would have had to with the BAT. (This also explains why lots of Koetsu owners have step ups trannies on stand by)
JackD201
Immortal

PreviousNext

Return to IDLER TURNTABLES