Cartridge Recommendations

classic analog rigs Thorens, Garrard, Lenco, EMT, etc..

Moderators: setup1, setup2

Postby santiago » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:34 am

Dear Mullard/ Jack,

Thanks for your write ups on koetsu. It got me drooling...

I recall when auditioning the Lamm for the first time, I felt like I was in a great jazz spot in New York City. That combined with Koetsus must be a breaktaking experience!

I will contact jadis as I start having the urge for this experience and as soon as I get my cartridge mounting skills in place. I am now in a "prove it to me" mode with the recently acquired Dynavector xx2 which is being broken in.

Best,
santiago
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:36 pm

Santiago,

I guess Jack already described correctly the sonic differences between the Black, Rosewood and the Urushi. And like Jack, I was also impressed with Jadis' system and the Koetsu black when I had a chance to listen to it the first time, I knew this was the cartridge I'm looking for. :) ... the rest is history :)

As far as the price difference between the Rosewood and the Black is concerned, well, the US$ 1,000 additional is really a huge amount. I would have settled with the Black and spent that amount on software... but then would I have been satisfied? I would have been if not for the Koetsu Blue Lace. :( Jadis can also attest to that... he's a certified black user and he never thought of upgrading to the Rosewood signature... but after listening to how Paco de Lucia's guitar on Friday Night in San Francisco sounded with the blue lace, our ears were no longer satisfied with the black... and in the end both of us went a notch higher... (well, Jadis went two notches up... I only went a notch higher as that is only what I can afford , :D )

Cheers.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby ttommy » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:27 am

santiago,

RUN!!! The Koetsu cult has you in a pincer movement! :lol:

.... just kidding, of course. But between the experience of mullard88 and Jack's technical differentiation of the models (the best I've read on the subject, btw), I must warn you-- Koetsu is the only cartridge brand I know of that will make you unsatisfied with owning just one. Even two might still have you craving more... Three? Hmm, posible, lol.

That's the anomaly, can't think of any others where the same craving applies. Even worse, you might find yourself cutting out pictures of the, ahem, jade and pasting it on your alarm clock and bathroom mirror. But hey, it's not me, I just know this guy... :oops:

T
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby santiago » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:49 am

Hi T,

Glad to know that Koetsu has a great following which is close to a cult as you say. Intrigued....A father to son tradition makes it even more appealing.

I know that by I will never be satisfied by the mere fact that this thing exists. Will check it out....

Thanks,
santiago
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mullard88 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:58 pm

santiago,

I remember telling myself I must have them right after I heard the lamms.

I don't know if JackD201 was using his koetsu when Jadis and I listened to the lamm phono stage. Other than that possible experience, I have never had the pleasure of listening to a koetsu through a lamm phono stage. It makes me wonder with excitement though on the results of this combination.

I hope your efforts in contacting Jadis will end with the same happy results as JackD201 and Jon Agner. Perhaps you might even write a post about your koetsu journey.

I do not have any cartridge mounting skills. I just request the friendly small circle of masters in this field with the necessary skills to do it for me.

Have a great adventure with your dynavector. I have a lower model dynavector that has brought me immense pleasure. I hope you too will be pleasured with a positive experience.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:38 pm

mullard88 wrote:santiago,

I have never had the pleasure of listening to a koetsu through a lamm phono stage. It makes me wonder with excitement though on the results of this combination.

Hard to describe. 8) You'll experience it for yourself soon enough :D
JackD201
Immortal

Postby santiago » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:14 pm

Thanks Mullard/Jack:-

Will keep you posted on my journey into Koetsu...I do not have the Lamm LP phonostage, though. When I got my gear then, I thought I was already overextended moneywise on preamp and power amplicifaction. The Lamm dealer in Singapore offered me as an alternative a 6 tubed Acoustic Plan phono stage at half the price. While it sounds very good, I continue to think and read about that Lamm LP2.

Analog has been something I have just revisited since records disappeared in the mid ninetees. Over the past three years, I have been consistently subscribing to new reissues by Acoustech and other auditophile labels. When I purchased my analog gear which was a Rega P5 and entry level dynavector, I did not expect becoming an analog convert as I am today.

This explains why I am facing a current mismatch between my analog sources and the rest of my gear. Currently thinking about relegating the Rega P5/Dynavector to my Mcintosh/Harbeth system downstairs which then gives way to a Koetsu/{suitable turntable} combination for the reference system.

Just a thought but will be more careful and less impulsive along the way.

Many thanks,
santiago
Citizen
Citizen

Postby santiago » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:17 pm

Thanks Mullard/Jack:-

Will keep you posted on my journey into Koetsu...I do not have the Lamm LP phonostage, though. When I got my gear then, I thought I was already overextended moneywise on preamp and power amplicifaction. The Lamm dealer in Singapore offered me as an alternative a 6 tubed Acoustic Plan phono stage at half the price. While it sounds very good, I continue to think and read about that Lamm LP2.

Analog has been something I have just revisited since records disappeared in the mid ninetees. Over the past three years, I have been consistently subscribing to new reissues by Acoustech and other auditophile labels. When I purchased my analog gear which was a Rega P5 and entry level dynavector, I did not expect becoming an analog convert as I am today.

This explains why I am facing a current mismatch between my analog sources and the rest of my gear. Currently thinking about relegating the Rega P5/Dynavector to my Mcintosh/Harbeth system downstairs which then gives way to a Koetsu/{suitable turntable} combination for the reference system.

Just a thought but will be more careful and less impulsive along the way.

Many thanks,
santiago
Citizen
Citizen

Previous

Return to IDLER TURNTABLES