Tech help/ advice please

Moderator: stereophile

Tech help/ advice please

Postby aldrin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:23 am

Hi mga boss,
I noticed some changes in my SL-1500. The pitch slows down a bit sometimes but promptly comes back to regular pitch. It's not noticeable outright, but we know our music and we could notice even the slightest changes in speed. sound,, etc...
What could be the problem here sirs?
Thanks in advance!
I'm new here and just got back to vinyls. Salamat po ulit!
aldrin

Re: Tech help/ advice please

Postby trauma » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:35 am

A long time ago I had a vinyl copy of Joe Jackson's Body and Soul that did the same. But only on a small portion of the record.

If you are certain that it is the player that is doing that I believe that distortion is called the "wow and flutter" and it is measurable.

Sometimes that will be remedied when you change either the drive belts or the motor itself.
trauma
Citizen
Citizen

Postby TheAnalogSource » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:39 am

if your lucky the speed control pontentiometer is the culprit...sometimes a little contact cleaner or replace it will help.
otherwise its the speed controller ic. on both case, a visit to a technician is advisable.
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby looks » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:43 am

Hi aldrin,

welcome to the forum. I experienced it also to my sl-3350. pero grabe sa akin. turns out It has a worn out capacitor. pinaayos ko sa tech. maybe nagpaparamdam na yung sa iyo. lalo na kung matagal mo na hindi nagagamit yung turntable. :)
looks
Citizen
Citizen

Postby aldrin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:56 am

Salamat Sirs Trauma, Tas and Looks for the replies.
I just got this from an antique shop in Cubao X. I replaced the power cable and the RCA jacks already. Meron kasing minimal distortion dati, parang grounded.
Right now, wala naman ako nadidinig na slow down. Although earlier this morning, meron kaunti. :D It sounds great with an M55E cart and a 44J stylus. I'll try to spray some contact cleaners sa pitch control later and see if it works fine after that.
Also, okay lang ba lagyan ng oil ng sewing machine yung bearing sa gitna. The oil container that comes with the TT is already missing when I bought this last month.
Anyways, am happy with this. Malayo ang tunog nya dun sa TEAC GF-350, which is a big boo-boo for a purchase several years back. Ang dami pala sa Pier na serviceable equipment!
Thanks to this wonderful site and generous people like you, I've rekindled a long dormant passion. Thanks again!
aldrin

Postby dogears » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:55 am

Welcome aboard parekoy 8)
dogears
Master
Master

Return to TECHNICS TT