My Listening Room

Post your system set-up here.

Moderator: JackD201

Re: My Listening Room

Postby dB10 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:10 pm

Congrats sir, it's a feast for the ears as well as the eyes !
dB10
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:18 pm

dB10 wrote:Congrats sir, it's a feast for the ears as well as the eyes !

Thanks, db10. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby dimfer » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:21 pm

jadis wrote:
odaey wrote:
jadis wrote:And listening to Brothers Four Beatles Songbook this morning, I'm happy to say they have not turned into 'sisters'. :D But, their voices are so sublime they now belong to the convent! :D What a difference a tube makes. :)

Nakaka ingit naman

Sa system ko Brothers two pa rin ;(

doc rodney, pag gusto mo maging brothers 4 ang brothers 2 mo, may isang extra copy pa ako, oops, wala na pala. :lol:

but i'm sure with more tweaking and patience, you'll get them all 4 eventually. :)

haha.. nagbilang uloy ako kung ilan ang Brothers Four sa system ko..

appropriately - I am from Alberta (Canada) - and this track sounded awesome

dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:06 pm

dimfer wrote:
odaey wrote:
jadis wrote:
Nakaka ingit naman

Sa system ko Brothers two pa rin ;(

doc rodney, pag gusto mo maging brothers 4 ang brothers 2 mo, may isang extra copy pa ako, oops, wala na pala. :lol:

but i'm sure with more tweaking and patience, you'll get them all 4 eventually. :)

haha.. nagbilang uloy ako kung ilan ang Brothers Four sa system ko..

Ding, there used to be a '5th Brother' :lol: ...follow this thread, post #7.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3940&start=0

dimfer wrote:appropriately - I am from Alberta (Canada) - and this track sounded awesome

Yes, that's a lovely song. One of my favorites. :clap:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:00 pm

And just a little note as the night falls. From the amp, to the power tubes to the input tubes, these are all 'stealth' updates. :devil: They all look the same in the eyes of the 'other'. :lol: And that's one thing that makes it hard for me to update my turntable. Most turntables now do not come with a dustcover and mine is still one of the few that has it. Madali mahalata. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

My Listening Room

Postby jadis » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:56 pm

Ngayong gabi, umaawit na ang araw muli. (Tonight, the 'day' is singing again) :lol:

Sung by D.Day via Gold Lion KT88 into ARC VS115 thru Magnepan 2.7s... :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:29 pm

jadis wrote:BATTLE LINES OF THE REPUBLIC :lol:

In the next few weeks, or even months, fresh troops from the British infantry will have a showdown with the Dutch/Deutsche regiment. 2 Mullard military CV492s, 1 Mullard Long Plate Round Getter and 1 Mullard Long Plate Square Getter. 8)

And from the looks of it, I feel the imminent 'fall' of the continental European troops. :lol:

It won't be an objective assessment, but my own subjective preference. 8) Jacqueline Bisset (vintage 70s) over Claudia Schiffer and Famke Janssen, combined. :lol:

The Euro tube war games were held, and instead of a 30 Years War, it was more like a 30 Minute Blitzkrieg. :lol: And I was dead wrong. The Germans and the Dutch held their forts well. :lol: In a position by position A/B, only the insignificant looking 12AU7 position was where the British made Mullard long plate 'beat' its German counterpart. No wonder I like Dutch singer Ann Burton. :lol: Magaling din itong mga Philips MiniWatt Holland. :clap: And as for the Germans, heil to Heidi Klum (Telefunken Red Tip 12AX7) :clap: A big salute too to the Mullard Square Getter Long Plate 12AU7, pang Carol Kidd talaga. :inlove: In my mind now is another stealthy project involving the ARC PH3 phono stage, whether to call in the Dutch (tubes) or call in the Americans (ARC PH6 or 7). :devil:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Mullard Long Plate Tube

Postby jadis » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:36 am

MULLARD LONG PLATE SQUARE GETTER - A TREASURE IS FOUND:

Had been waiting for ages to land a NOS 1957 Mullard Long Plate 12AX7 Square Getter for a long long while now. And this one came with one of the earliest date codes on acid etching, the famed MC1 marking. 8) It has been a slow and painful wait for these kinds of things as finding even one in NOS condition can take eternity, amidst all the risks to those fake produce so rampant now in the net clouds. I'm happy just looking at them in the meantime, as I am still awaiting good stuffs from the American Navy arena for those prized 7308s for my phono stage. Whew, this upgrade of an ARC amp has showed many loopholes now in my old tube arsenal, namely in the pre amp and phono sections. And yes Virginia, there is such a thing as a NOS sound as opposed to an OLD sound. :lol:

SOLID COPPER POSTS & 'GOAL POST' SQUARE GETTER ON TOP:

BOTTOM VIEW:

MILITARY MARKINGS 'CV492' & 'KB/DA':

jadis
Legend
Legend

My Listening Room

Postby jadis » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:13 pm

EASTERN ELECTRIC MINIMAX - SMALL BUT STRONG :lol:

Those who follow basketball know that height is might. In audio, it's hard to counter the laws of physics when it comes to huge speakers and humongous power amps, though when it comes to analog stuff, the small and tiny phono cartridge is one small but terrible audio toy. Enter the Eastern Electric. Small by industry standards, single chassis, has got 2 built in SET in it, but despite its compact size, it is heavier than many pre amps out there and in terms of sound reproduction, has made me learn that small can be strong. Parang si 'Mighty Mouse', my boyhood cartoon idol. :lol: Picture Spud Webb winning the NBA slam dunk title many years ago. :lol: This diminutive phono pre amp is the latest member of the 'rack' - composed mainly of decades old turntable, arm and line stage. Like the present day Boston Celtics, we are in a 'rebuilding' mode, in fact, in a 'sigh and trade' mode as well. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

AVID DIVA

Postby jadis » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:20 am

NEW MEMBER OF THE FRONT LINE - 2 WEEKS OLD BUT ACTUALLY AGED 6 OR 7 :lol:

AVID DIVA 1 WITH REGA RB300 AND KOETSU ROSEWOOD SIGNATURE

ROSEWOOD SIGNATURE WITH GOLD (PLATED) SCREWS AND NUTS - MIXING THE 'ELEMENTS' OF WOOD AND METAL - FOR PROPER 'YIN/YANG' BALANCE :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

My Listening Room

Postby jadis » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:59 pm

And for the first time since the CD was invented, there is no CD or DAC in the rack. Bumigay na ang 2 players in that span, with very little action actually, and it's about time I learn the language of the servers, cloud, USB, lossless, flac, etc. ;) Another headache. :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby dimfer » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:51 pm

I can see vacant spots at the bottom shelves, perfect for a DAC or a music server. I tell you, music server has elevated the digital game quite a bit, and you will be surprised to find out how narrow the gap is (if there is any) between a good analog setup and a well sorted music server. DSD download is becoming more and more available, but even good PCM formats can be satisfying. For my own use, I only spin cd's when I rip them to my server.

yun nga lang,, you will have to sacrifice the usual analog rituals, no cleaning records, no flipping, no re racking
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:53 am

dimfer wrote:I can see vacant spots at the bottom shelves, perfect for a DAC or a music server. I tell you, music server has elevated the digital game quite a bit, and you will be surprised to find out how narrow the gap is (if there is any) between a good analog setup and a well sorted music server. DSD download is becoming more and more available, but even good PCM formats can be satisfying. For my own use, I only spin cd's when I rip them to my server.

yun nga lang,, you will have to sacrifice the usual analog rituals, no cleaning records, no flipping, no re racking

thanks for the input, ding. that is quite encouraging. my only brush with servers was in jack's and keith's rooms, and frankly, i feel like in kinder 1 when i look at this technology. :lol: but i think one day i'll get there. after i ponder on the twin belt ps upgrage, 2nd arm/cart, air-suspension platform, etc. hay, life has to be tough to be good. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby dimfer » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:03 am

that's a long list of analog upgrades to go through.. malamang iba na ang uso sa digital by the time you start doing it :lol:
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:07 am

dimfer wrote:that's a long list of analog upgrades to go through.. malamang iba na ang uso sa digital by the time you start doing it :lol:

hahaha...tama ka nga. i'm learning from dafos how to do a simple server based source and he mentioned i need a mac (which i don't have, always a pc guy), a server (lots of brands now), and something called amarra, which i have to google. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby mykel18 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:35 am

jadis wrote:hahaha...tama ka nga. i'm learning from dafos how to do a simple server based source and he mentioned i need a mac (which i don't have, always a pc guy), a server (lots of brands now), and something called amarra, which i have to google. :lol:

Or you can also just get a standalone music server/streamer from Olive, Linn, Naim...
mykel18
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:42 am

mykel18 wrote:
jadis wrote:hahaha...tama ka nga. i'm learning from dafos how to do a simple server based source and he mentioned i need a mac (which i don't have, always a pc guy), a server (lots of brands now), and something called amarra, which i have to google. :lol:

Or you can also just get a standalone music server/streamer from Olive, Linn, Naim...

that's what i heard too, mykel. though i heard that the sound is much better when running into a dac. :) thanks bud.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby O.D. Yeo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:13 am

jadis wrote:
mykel18 wrote:

that's what i heard too, mykel. though i heard that the sound is much better when running into a dac. :) thanks bud.

My Olive has a digital output leading to an Eastern Electric Minimax Dac . . . this last one you don't need to google :P
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:27 am

O.D. Yeo wrote:
jadis wrote:
mykel18 wrote:

My Olive has a digital output leading to an Eastern Electric Minimax Dac . . . this last one you don't need to google :P

I think so, Billy. :D But I have to ring Morita again for a 'loan unit'. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:03 pm

Phil, checkout Gary K's PC recipe at WBF. :devil:

With the room being fixed I'm now living with Mac/PureMusic/baby TechDAS (D7 DSD DAC aka the Jaime Lannister of the DAC world :lol: ). I miss my LPs a lot but this is pretty darned good on its own.
JackD201
Immortal

PreviousNext

Return to Members' Audio Set-up