amandarae's set-up ...... UPDATED!!!!

Post your system set-up here.

Moderator: JackD201

amandarae's set-up ...... UPDATED!!!!

Postby amandarae » Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:43 pm

Set up ko ho! :)

TT......Teres 255, OriginLive Silver MKII, Benz, Lundahl Step up

CD Player ....Jolida JD100a Tube, modified by Parts Connexion Canada

Phono Pre......Wright Sound WPP100C (Mullard 6ER5's, Tele 12AU&'s)

Amps.....Odyssey Audio Monoblocks with 360,000 uF caps upgrade

Main Preamp....Currently MAD Octal 6A, waiting for the Supratek Chenin delivery next month

Cables....Acoustic Zen Hologram MKII and Satoris, DIY Silver IC's

Power Cords....Virtual Dynamics P1 for amps and Source, P3 for the speakers

Subs.....56 Liter down firing sealed using Shiva MKIV 12" drivers and Adire Audio AV250 amps

Yun lang po. Thank you and proud to be a member of this site. Looking forward to contribute in the discussions and activities here in the future....
Last edited by amandarae on Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:05 am

super super set-up!

wow! i love that lead-loaded platter...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Hyperion » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:38 am

weeeeeeeeeet weeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww!!!

Howz that Wright Sound WPP100c phono? have you compared it with other phono stages?

Btw, you forgot to list your main speakers. :) Looks like a Martin Logan Ascent.
Hyperion

Postby amandarae » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:00 am

Thank you, thank you, salamat po!

I am very proud to be a member of Pidiophile! Este Pinoydiophile pala! The former is a bad word!

Hyperion,
Thanks! Yes, my speakers are the Ascents.

Boss VD, Do you still have the speakers that Bob Brines made? FT1600 based on Fostex 167E? How was it performing? I read it in Bob's web page, thus my interest in the Tono 300b sa post ko sa thread na yun (Please?). Kahit bago lang na member and does not fulfill all the requirements, lakas loob na umaasa he,he,he, :roll:

cheers

Hyperion (again),

The Wright WPP100C is a fine preamp imho. I have not tried/compared it to other preamp 2 or 3 times its price because of limited funds. I bought it base on research from audioasylum on testaments of the users who compared it to other highly price phono pre. One thing I can be sure of, and I may be crossing a fine line here, there is probably nothing better in its price range or below.
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:12 pm

Anonymous wrote:...

Boss VD, Do you still have the speakers that Bob Brines made? FT1600 based on Fostex 167E? How was it performing? I read it in Bob's web page, thus my interest in the Tono 300b sa post ko sa thread na yun (Please?). Kahit bago lang na member and does not fulfill all the requirements, lakas loob na umaasa he,he,he, :roll:

cheers

yes, i have the FT1600. this is the Bornes-Fostex 1.1 and sounds very nice with the Tono 300B....frankly, i never heard them sing so well until we hooked them up using the Tono 300b...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby amandarae » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:17 pm

Boss VD,

Tino-torture mo ba ko? (in ref. to my plea..este...post in SuperTono thread)....he,he,he.

Kidding aside, glad to hear that you still have the speakers. I am currently building one. Bought the design from Bob's. So it is a keeper huh!....
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:32 pm

amandarae wrote:Boss VD,

Tino-torture mo ba ko? (in ref. to my plea..este...post in SuperTono thread)....he,he,he.

Kidding aside, glad to hear that you still have the speakers. I am currently building one. Bought the design from Bob's. So it is a keeper huh!....

for info, and as Bob may have informed you, that was a design Bob made for me...of course, he gave me the exclusive rights for the Philippines (we pay him royalty), but he owns the plans outside the Philippines. Pair is sold for $850 in the USA, while locally, we sold them for only half the amount.

btw, feel free to contact me if you want to know some of the stuffing tweaks we did.

vd
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby amandarae » Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:13 am

Boss VD said: (Re. FT1600)

"btw, feel free to contact me if you want to know some of the stuffing tweaks we did"

Thanks, I will remember that when the time comes to voice the speaker!

Abe
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby red76 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:22 pm

Hi amandarae,

We have the same cartridge, Benz Ace M. Do you also have stepup trannies from Wright (OEM Sowter)? I bet they integrate well with the 100C. I have the 100c on order. Nice system. 256 wooden platter next upgrade? =)
red76
Citizen
Citizen

Postby amandarae » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:35 am

Hello red76,

Yes, I am using a step up but not the S&B. I have the K&K Lundahl L9206 transformer loaded at 14 dB at the moment. The cartridge has 0.8 mV out so going to 20 dB is too much imho.

Congrats on the WPP100C! You will like it! E-mail me later when it arrive and I can suggest tube combinations for you to try. Believe me, there's a difference on how a 6ER5 and a 6GK5 sounds like when paired to a particular 12AU7 on this preamp. It took me 4 months of tube-rolling before finding the right combination for my set up.

265 wooden platter for next upgrade? Maybe, we'll see. I am now concentrating on building an SET base, Single Driver (currently building a cabinet) system thus my interest on the Super Tono 300B amp as you might noticed on the 300B thread. To tell you the truth, the 255 never ceased my amazement and excitement everytime the needle touches the LP I am about to play. It is that good and I am very happy so no further upgrqades with the table is in the plans except of course a better cartridge. Don't get me wrong, the Benz Ace is all I need! But sometimes there is always the urge to try a differnt one not because I am dissatisfied but only because I like to see for myself what other people said about other carts.

cheers....
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby red76 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:23 pm

Hi,

I'll shoot you a PM when the unit arrives (thanks for offering tube rolling tips!) and share my impressions. I ordered an extra matched NOS quad of Euro 6ER5's or 6GK5's from George for around $45 so I can easily compare, it's from his personal stash I think . These framed grid types are not easy to source here in Manila unlike 12AU7's . I also asked George to upgrade the stock mono pots to higher quality CTS types. At least we have the same cardtridge, I also use a non-suspended high mass TT.

Btw, I use Sowter (not S&B) 1:10 stepups (with resistive loading of not > 200 Ohms). The S&B have have multiple taps in the secondary, hence one of the reasons it is more expensive.

Regards,
red76
red76
Citizen
Citizen

Postby toobs » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:01 pm

Hi Red76,

Remind me when we have a session. I can give you a quad set of RCA 6ER5 if you still don't have this brand.

regards,
toobs
toobs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Audio_Tyro » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:09 pm

Wow, what can I say? This is a mouth-watering setup! Naka stereo subwoofers pa! Which part of the world are you in?

I wonder why you are still considering upgrading? Maybe we audiophiles are really cursed, why we don't stop upgrading.

This summer I'm thinking of going Ballet lesson na lang kaya or maybe Synchronized swimming as a hobby, might be cheaper... and lots of girls too.
Audio_Tyro
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby amandarae » Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:10 pm

Audio Tyro,

Thanks for the compliment! I am in "cursed" audiophile world as you put it :lol: Kidding aside, I am in West Covina, California. 8)

Upgrading? No plans for now on this set up except the cart. I am happy how it sounds. Unfortunately, my present quest is to assemble a single driver set up in a different room. I am intrigue with this new scenario and want to try it. My brother has a back loaded horn and sounds good, hence the urge to try it out.

.....hmmmmmm....Ballet lessons or Synchronize swimming with lots of girls you say......... :twisted:.....................better watch out for me!!!! :lol:
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Doc Jr 8156 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:20 am

Amandarae, Kailan natin kukunan iyong set-up ko. Gusto ko ring makita nag pictures dito. Sorry po, wala pong alam ang inyong lingkod sa computer except tumuldok.

Tapusin mo na iyung single driver mo! Give it about a month then pairing it the Tono 300b and playing through your Teres, ihanda mo na ang mga kahon ng Ascent! Tutulungan kitang magbuhat. C-Ya brother. Godspeed.
Doc Jr 8156
Citizen
Citizen

Postby red76 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:48 am

toobs wrote:Hi Red76,

Remind me when we have a session. I can give you a quad set of RCA 6ER5 if you still don't have this brand.

regards,
toobs

Hi toobs,

Thanks for the very kind offer sir.... :) I'm very much eager to attend the sessions (especially the 'speakers' part), sana after this holy week ma set na yung sched.

Regards,
red76
red76
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ARE » Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:42 pm

Just wondering how the Odyssey sounds. I initially thought of buying direct from OdysseyAudio, but after freight/shipping/customs computation, I backed out as it almost doubled the US price. Anyway, If I recall correctly -- Klaus?? was ok to deal with, answering all questions.
ARE
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dogears » Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:48 pm

Hanep!
dogears
Master
Master

Postby amandarae » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:06 pm

Thank you boss dogears, I consider "hanep" as a compliment. :)

ARE,

Sorry for not answering your inquiry right away. So here it goes.

In my system with the Martin Logans (35-20kHz, 90 dB, 4 Ohms nominal with a nasty impedance dip of 1.2 Ohms at 20 kHz.) the Odysseys Stratos Monos performs very well. I have a Nelson Pass-Threshold Stasis S-500 (250 W/channel Optical Bias class A/AB) for comparison and the Stratos outperforms it in every way in my system. Caveat the fact that the amp needs to be "on" 24/7, I am very happy with the purchase. My version have the 360,000 uF capacitor upgrade, so I have no experienced with the stock monos. Although my brother (Docjr8156) has the Stratos Upgraded Stereo version and probably he can share his views here if he sees the thread.

As for the 24/7 operation, the power consumption is comparable to two-35 watts light bulb "on" every time. Not a big deal.

Klaus (Bunge) is a very nice person to deal with. Take my word with a grain of salt but you can go to Odysseys forum at AudioCircle.com and check out the info you need to know if it is available.

It is sad to learn that getting the product(amps) over there is financially absurd. I do not know any idea how to help. All I know is that even with the mono pair, they fit inside a Balik-Bayan box(Hint, Hint :wink: :wink: ). The only problem is that it takes 7 weeks minimum to make the amps once you order it from Klaus.

One more thing, you can e-mail Klaus if there's an option you can consider if you are really interested. He is a fine gentleman (6 feet four and almost 300 lbs)and will not mind even if you are just a "prospective" customer. If you want, and I am giving you my permission, mention my name(Abe from Southern California). I already met the guy and have dinner with him so he knows me (I hope). I am not affiliated to the company of course.

Cheers, and let me know if I can assist you in any way with your research.

Abe
Last edited by amandarae on Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dogears » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:15 pm

amandarae, i'm just wondering if you did ever get the chance to compare MLs against Magnepans? when i visited my bro there in PA, i wanted to look for the little maggies but decided wag na lang kasi mahirap iuwi sa pinas :P
dogears
Master
Master

Next

Return to Members' Audio Set-up