Jon Agner's system - back in business

Postby Jon Agner » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:38 pm

Here's my Audio Setup (updated):

KOETSU Rosewood " The RED"

MANDYM inspired Ebony DENON DL-103R

ArTT Mk 2 with the Kamagong Tone arm:

Modified Pro-Ject Debut III, wih the Pro-Ject 8.6C carbon fibre tonearm:

The Audio System

Analog Sources: ArTT DIY Turntable with Glass Platter, Kamagong tonearm w/ a KOETSU Rosewood MC Cart or a DENON Wood DL-103 & Pro-Ject 8.6C Carbon Fiber Tonearm w/ GRADO Green MM cart or Ortofon OM5E
Phonostage: Battery Powered Cambridge Azur 640P
Digital Source: DENON DCD-1400 CD player
Preamp - WiredState TONO 12au7 pre-amp fitted with Telefunken 12au7 tubes
Main Amplifier: Wiredstate Tubong Bastos 2a3 w/ RCA 5U4G Rectifier, RCA 12au7 and RCA Gray Plate 2a3
Speakers: DIY Single Driver ML-TQWT loudspeakers (Beyma 8 ag/n 8" full range speaker driver)
Interconnects: DIY 12-pair CAT5 interconnect cable; DIY Silver Interconnect cable; DIY RG 89259 coaxial cable
Speaker Cable: Parallel 12-pair braided CAT-5 (total of 24-pairs) per speaker

... AND this is how I started...

My first system, which included the Harman Kardon A224 Trio Amp, Garrard Zero 100, Sony CD Player and the DIY Straight Voigt Pipe speakers. Before I ventured into DIY Speaker building, I used a pair of circa 1980's MISSION 700 monitor speakers for the H/K Amp.

Of course, the other reason why I stay home and listen:

My other set of ears:

Thanks for looking. Cheers. :)
Last edited by Jon Agner on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 39 times in total.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby red76 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:38 pm

Hi Jon,

I like what you did to the Dai chi (wooden phase plugs?). The ethnic wooden stand for the TB2A3 adds to the homy feel and I bet is good islolation too, good score on the H/K integrated and Garrard. Btw, I like your taste in women. My SO only gave compliments when she hears the music out of the room while messing with my PC, like Chuck Mangione's 1st album, and surprisingly she really liked The Who's "whos' next?" and Sarah M.'s "Mirroball" even if she's more into pop rnb!

Regards
red76
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:21 pm

red76 wrote:Hi Jon,

I like what you did to the Dai chi (wooden phase plugs?). The ethnic wooden stand for the TB2A3 adds to the homy feel and I bet is good islolation too, good score on the H/K integrated and Garrard. Btw, I like your taste in women. My SO only gave compliments when she hears the music out of the room while messing with my PC, like Chuck Mangione's 1st album, and surprisingly she really liked The Who's "whos' next?" and Sarah M.'s "Mirroball" even if she's more into pop rnb!

Regards

Thanks!.... and yes, they're wooden phase plugs on the Dai-ichi. The wooden ethnic rack is made of Mahogany. The H/K Amp was the one being sold by Lito Gelano in his shop 'bout 4 years ago. I got the Garrard from a second hand shop for 300 pesos, but w/out any cartridge.

Thanks too for that compliment!!! I'll tell my wife about it. Being my other set of ears, :D, She uses Vili Chen's TIS recordings as her test CDs when doing listening tests. Vocal din siya pag alam niyang di maganda ang tunog (She likes the TB2a3i better than the TB2a3, and she finds the straight voigts sounding better than the folded voigt). Unfortunately, she's not really fond of listening to vinyl, except when I put in Sergio Mendes or Burt Bacharach.

Cheers. :wink:

Jon
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby red76 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:30 pm

Hi,

Lito is my neighbor (his offfice / Audio Research showroom). Walking distance lang from me and Hyperion (also my neighbor). Malamang may kalikot na yang integrated mo with some components replaced and adjusted values / minor circuit changes since you are into diy.
red76
Citizen
Citizen

Postby amandarae » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:03 am

Jon,

Very Nice System!! Looks very good, and I bet it sounds grrreeaatt!
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:31 am

amandarae wrote:Jon,

Very Nice System!! Looks very good, and I bet it sounds grrreeaatt!

Thank you! :D The compliment should go to the Wiredstate team as well for producing a good set of amps and pre-amp. Without their DIY amps, I could not have made improvements on my own DIY experiments.

As far as the sound is concerned, I can truly say that the Voigts (whether Straight or Folded) produce the sound we (my family included) all wanted to hear! :)

Cheers.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:41 am

red76 wrote:Hi,

Lito is my neighbor (his offfice / Audio Research showroom). Walking distance lang from me and Hyperion (also my neighbor). Malamang may kalikot na yang integrated mo with some components replaced and adjusted values / minor circuit changes since you are into diy.

Red,

Except for the OT rewinding/repair (repair courtesy of HYPERTRIODE), and power cap replacement, everything is still in its original form.

Cheers. :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Re: Jon Agner's system

Postby 7Even » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:15 am

Jon Agner wrote:Here's my Audio Setup:

http://www.pbase.com/jagner/my_audio_setup

My currert setup includes the TB2a3i, Tono Preamp, Garrard Zero 100 Turntable (Analog), Sharp CD Player (Ceedee's) and DIY Folded Voigt Pipe Speakers using Dai-ichi Full range driver.

Jon

Jon,

May i know rated power of your Dai-1chi Full Range driver?

Thanks.
7Even

Re: Jon Agner's system

Postby Jon Agner » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:01 pm

7Even wrote:
Jon Agner wrote:Here's my Audio Setup:

http://www.pbase.com/jagner/my_audio_setup

My currert setup includes the TB2a3i, Tono Preamp, Garrard Zero 100 Turntable (Analog), Sharp CD Player (Ceedee's) and DIY Folded Voigt Pipe Speakers using Dai-ichi Full range driver.

Jon

Jon,

May i know rated power of your Dai-1chi Full Range driver?

Thanks.

The dai-ichi full range has a max wattage of 40W, nominal at 20W. the driver has a 90dB sensitivity, but with the Voigt, the sensitivity increased to 94 dB.

Thanks for looking. Cheers.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:01 am

updated photos.

Cheers.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:51 pm

Hi,

My latest DIY speakers, again using Martin King's Mathcad software for the Mass-Loaded TQWT:

The Speaker:

The Port:

like in my previous DIY projects, I have used a Dai-ichi 8" Full Range speaker driver. The whizzer cone of this driver is heavily tweaked as I find the highs of this driver too thin. Polyfill has been used to mass-load the internal chamber. The port is located on the bottom of the cabinet. THe wood used is a 3/4" plywood, painted in a wood stain finish.

Thanks for looking.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby dogears » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:02 pm

cool stuff you get there :D
dogears
Master
Master

Postby hein » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:14 pm

Hi Jon, did you make the speaker cabinets too?
hein
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:33 pm

Dogears,

Thanks!

Hein,

In my other DIYs it was all me, but the one above was made with the help of a carpenter buddy. The painting job was done by a professional painter.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby BonD » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:27 pm

Sir Jon,

Nice job..Congrats! :)
BonD
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:57 am

Handyman,

Thanks, but this is nothing when compared to your work.

Cheers.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:24 pm

Updates on my Audio Setup:

I've re-arranged my rack. All my audio sources (DENON CD player and Garrard TT) are now placed on top of the rack. In between the CD player and the TT and underneath the lamp is the AMX phonostage pre-amp. The platform used by the audio source is a 1" thick tanguile board. The platform is isolated from the rack, via a 20" bicycle interior tube. The interior tube is held in place by an upside down metal shelf which used to be the top of a computer table.

Experimenting on the use of "plumb bobs", I used them to elevate and somehow isolate the TT from the platform. I guess the tweak worked as I hear a better bass definition from my TT.

Placing table runners at the corners provided deeper soundstage. I'll soon be putting drapes to cover the entire rack to minimize interaction of the sound with the rack itself.

This is how my system looks like at night:

As for my new babies, this is how they look with the grills on:

Thanks for looking. I'll be updating my page from time to time.

Cheers :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby Killer Mike » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:27 pm

Hi Jon, nice meeting you at the show :D
Killer Mike
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:41 pm

Mike,

Same to you as well... At least ngayon kilala ko na lahat ng member ng Club NASA.

Cheers
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Fri May 27, 2005 3:37 pm

The latest member of the family:

After years of service, the GARRARD ZERO 100 will finally get its much needed rest, repair and refurbish. The task of playing analog music in our home has been passed on to the Pro-ject Debut III turn table, courtesy of Pic Anonuevo and Eric Lim of Audio Den. The turn table package comes with a free Grado Green Cart (check Pic's posts on the Buy & Sell and At Audio Den's Thread), but I decided to use first the stock Ortofon M5, and when my ears get settled (and my records thoroughly cleaned using a record cleaner), then I'll mount the Grado.

Now I'm a certified Project ANalog Gear EnthusiasT

The TONO pre-amp re-dressed:

I hope the Tono Man will be impressed with what I did with the pre-amp. For the browser, this is something that is NOT hard to do. You can do it yourself if you have a Tono Pre-amp and a knack for wood cutting. All you need is a piece of smoothened chopping board for the side panels and a piece of wooden cabinet knobs for the dial.

Cheers. Thanks for looking
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to Members' Audio Set-up