FLD's ever evolving set-up : Conclusion as of Sept 09--

Post your system set-up here.

Moderator: JackD201

FLD's ever evolving set-up : Conclusion as of Sept 09--

Postby fld » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:17 am

You know in life, there's always changes. Life is never constant. There's always up and downs, good times and bad times. Love and hate relationship of many things, from cars, watches, women and even our stereo gears. Our lives evolves as time passes by, just in the same way our love for this hobby evolves.

Countless amps, speakers, cables and sources went thru my little store down south , Cebu.

Shown here is one of my few first set-up involved a French speaker company, Jean Marie Reynaud Arpeggione driven with the famous Pass Aleph 5 Class A 60watter "toaster", Blue Circle Galatea Pre-amp with its massive external power supply with Rotel 1070 cd player. Cables were the Analysis Plus AP12 and TG Audio Powercords.

I was lucky to be able to try a friend's Emotive Audio Sira pre-amp which had over 15 different icbm tubes in that pre-amp of unknown and foreign numbrers to me. At its time this was the most expensive pre-amp I heard and it was mouthwatering nirvana paired with the Alephs 5 using the Audio Note Dac and transport system.

ROOM ACOUSTICS:
I had countless hours listening to this set-up as this was my first set-up with ASC treatment employing its time proven products: soundpanels and tube traps. We were just amazed what the soundpanels did as well as the tubetraps. It was also my first introduction to the real deal original acoustics. Before I was making traps and panels on my own from DIY Internet recipe, which I realized later on that it didnt quite hold up compared to the original ASCs. The original soundpanels breathes life into the music with more dimensionality, presence, decay, focus ,soundstage width and depth, voices sounded very natural as if there was no walls in the room. Echo flutter and pinging are gone.

In the area of bass control, the 11" bass traps controls the bass definition and pitch. It also removes booms in the 90 hz range. 3 of them were good but one can never be satisfied. (more on this.)
Last edited by fld on Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:27 pm, edited 19 times in total.
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: FLD's ever evolving set-up

Postby enzolm » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:40 am

Hey Ferdie,

Great thread!

I am looking forward to future installments on this thread, given that your ears/tastes are one of which I most respect. Please include a small review of the each of set ups you went through. I am sure it will be educational - not to mention, envy-inciting - for most of us.

Warm regards.
enzolm
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Superman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:51 am

CONGRATULATIONS Sir Ferdie! Ayo ayo, sir! May be in Cebu next month for a seminar...Mag-drop by mi sa imong store...Daghang Salamat! :D
Superman
Master Showman

British Mini Monitors ErA (BBC).

Postby fld » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:07 am

The Small wonders of the British monitors ERA:

A few months passed, and I got a call from my influencial audio and photography buddy, James(Ichabod). "You know Ferd, I've been reading about these Spendors and they are very good. Bob Niell swears by them. "Who the xxxx is Bob Neill ?" And what do I care what he says ?

Ferd, "Here are some reviews I'd like you to read." As always I do my share of research being going into something alien to me. It got me interested and being as curious to try new things, James & I got hold of our 1st Spendors, the S3/5s in less than 2 months since he started mentioning the word "Spendor" to me.

When James got his pair, he was ecstatic. These baby speakers are "wonderful and big sounding". The midrange window is big for a speaker this size. Imaging is holographic, soundstaging is deep considering his pair is in his sala which places them 10 feet away from the rear wall. The bass for these speakers was just something "uncalled for". It was tight, tunefall and got down to a decent 55 hz. It was not thunderous or deep but its mere presence was enough to say Wow!!

The bigger brother of the S3/5s were the Spendors S3/1p which became one of my all-time favourite mid-sized speakers. Little did I know that I would be using this particular speaker for the next few years. Personally, the Spendor3/1p is one of the most versatile speaker in the SPendor line-up. Take note, single ended tubes, push pull tubes, a/v receiver, low powered budget integrated amps to monster 200watter Class A amps, this mid size speaker can muster it all. Typical Spendor sound, warm,full bodied, wonderful with male and female vocals, good imaging and downright, just musical. I had friends and clients who still owns the 3/1p after all of these years. A truly Spendor Classic worth owning.

Everything was good for quite sometime until James set foot in Hong Kong. It was there that he discovered the ancestors of the Spendors. One listen was all it took for him to buy the Spendor LS3/5a 11 ohm.

When I heard his pair of Spendors, I knew right away that it was cut from the same cloth as the S3/5s. But it had its charms being very seductive sounding. Oh the midrange got me. I knew I got to have one of these babies. Unfortunately Spendor no longer makes the LS35a versions. Materials are no longer available especially the woofers and tweeters. On for the search until I got a hold of Doug Stirlings LS3/5s about a year later.

Along with Rene's Famous tuned Dynaco ST70s and Modified Foreplay pre-amp, this system brought me joys for quite awhile. Many of my friends were dismayed by the sound of this big sounding, shoe boxed size speaker. The midrange was its principal glory along with the clarity that these babies have.
(Shown here are Rene's Dynaco ST70 modified along with his 2 different Foreplay prototypes.)

Soon after, my other buddies got the disease. Prescnpilot and Tubedude as shown in the picture followed suit on the LS35a path:

PrecsonPilot got the Kef Piano black LS3/5a as well as a Rogers 15 ohms, while tubedude got the Harbeth LS35as in the US. To this date, all three of them still have their LS3/5s. I parted mine awhile back. Sometimes I do regret letting it go, however, life goes on and the quest for a different sound continues...
Last edited by fld on Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Single Driver, Single Ended and Vintage Amp ERA:

Postby fld » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:46 pm

The Single Driver , Single Ended & Vintage Amp Era.

The LS35a as marvelous as it was had its limitations. Its a small speaker with 4.5" woofers while very impressive in what it does, its still a small speaker with limited capabilities.

For one, I was looking for more dynamics, more "out of the box" experience and looking for more 00mph.
I know many LS35a here will disagree with my opinion, but I will not argue with anyone here that its a very fine speaker. If I have an extra room for it in my store, i wouldn't mind having another pair. I have deep respect for them having lived with them for almost 2 years. (2 years is kinda long in my vocabulary).

In one of my visits to Manila, I met Tony Boy as we were discussing about his interests in the Spendor speakers and Rel subwoofers. Tony suggested to look at the single driver speakers seriously, specifically the ones made by Louis Chocos of Omega Loudspeakers.

Tony owned a customize pair of Omegas with the 8" fostex drivers. He was telling me about his positive experience with them that led me to investigate it further. It was also by coincidence that a few weeks later I had to leave for the US.

During my visit in San Francisco, I met up with my friend, Gary, another staring audiophile, who took me to various hi end stores. We passed by the saloons who carried Wilson Audio, Spectral Gears , CJ's, Levinsons and others . Most of these hi end stores are usually are by appointment ONLY!! but Gary had some persuasion that allowed the store owner to let us audition their gears w/o prior appointment, after all, a man wearing in suite and wearing Ferragamo shoes looks very respectable (though, the car we drove in is a 10 year old Toyota pickup that is parked 1 mile away from the store).

"Hi, am Gary and this is Ferdie, I have a new place in Hillsborough (a hi end subdivison in SFO with houses starting at $1.5million dollars) and I'd like to listen to these speakers as they match my furniture in my living room, would you be kind to let us hear this one right there." And Gary pointed his hands to the silver Wilson Watt Puppys. The store owner would go, "alright, but just for a few minutes as we are about to close." "well thank you sir". Here's Gary!

After playing two Cd's, Gary and I exchanged notes. "Heck, that wasn't worth $30,000.00 ". the sound is so polished man, artificial, exclaimed Gary. Man, my Polk Audio sounds better than these driven with sansui receiver. " Oh really. hmmmm.

Few minutes later, as we headed out to the door, the store owner goes, "how goes it gentlemen ?". "Oh, the silver WP don't quite match the wooden floor of my dinning set next to my sala, its too silvery, I'd have to bring my wife here for approval. " I'll be back!! " Store owner hands us each a calling card and back to the 1 mile hike were the truck was parked on a Savon parking lot.

Last stop was a store that was based in a house's basement. The store owner was Jacob, shown here with the white shirt. Jacob was very accommodating and gave us a few hours to listen to his set-up. (also on the pictures are the wilson speakers we listened to.)

As the saying goes, "Love at first sight" ,well, the Omegas was love at first audition. Gary and I looked at each other at the first note when the cd hit PLAY. "This is more like it."

The Omega 3r was very dynamic, very out of the box sounding and it was detailed. The midrange very pure but funny but that didn't seem to bother me at first.

Probably the word to describe its sound is "RAW". Its like, music was connected to you directly as these speakers had no crossovers to color anything which I felt was pure sound. No tweeters to hear, just midrange and some hint of highs. Listening to it at Jacob's room was very intoxicating. Me and Gary were just amazed at how much we liked the Omegas better than the Wilson Speakers we heard a few hours back.

As a result of this expedition, i bought a few pairs from Omega and that started the whole venture into single drivers. This is one of those first few moments were I had the opportunity to audition before buying. In normal circumstances its usually buy first then audition but in this case, audition first, then bought. Cool!!

As I learn more about single driver speakers, people usually use single ended triode (SET) with these like 2A3S, 45S OR 300B amps. Take your pick and they will have different flavours. I had the opportunity to use Sun Audios 6V6s and 2A3 amps along with the other amps (more on this). Overall the sound was different from the conventional speakers. With 3watts of Sun Audio SET power, these Omega speakers sounded "hhhhuuugggge", very dynamic and the bass was fast. It the very opposite of the LS3/5s that I lived for quite sometime. It had an addictive character that I really enjoyed in that time period. It wasnt as refine as the LS35s but it was "fun" and "involving". Musical- maybe ?

Before I knew it, I got so gaga into single driver speakers that i wanted something "upgrade" to the Fostex based speakers. The Lowthers were suggested & I went ahead and bought the Lowther based speaker named "rethm-the 3rd". I had the chance to audition these while I was a Jacobs place and I liked them. Definitely a step up from the Omegas.

These speakers arrived at my doorstep in a wooden crate a few months after I ordered them, only to discover that the top part got cracked. I was so disappointed seeing the crack.

My heart sank and "lost interest". As timed went by I discovered that this was a very choosy and quirky speaker. They were not easy to match.They can be very shouty or too thin sounding with certain amps. Cabling them was a bit tricky as they were 98 db sensitive so warm copper basedcables were preferred as they sounded anemic with silver based cables. Positioning was also very difficult as they sounded lightweight when far away from the rear walls. Among the amps I had on disposal at that time, only the Air Tight 300b sounded good on these. But still, it was lacking. In my CD collection, I can play about 5-10% on this system. The Rethm excelled at instrumental music. Guitars was out of this world, along with trumpets, violins was sweet. Anything with fast instrumental transients was very good. However vocals were just not my type of sound, female vocals sounded as if the singer or artist had colds, kinda nasaly or honky sounding. I admit, i moved in too fast with these speakers and I was just too inexperienced at that time to learn their character. Nonetheless after a few weeks of trial and error, they became furniture pieces. They sat in one corner of my store and each time an innocent customers passes by, they look for the opening because they assume it was a "trashcan". I said, oh, no, please don't. The Rethms was among the more disappointing purchases I made in my audio journey.

James, once again adding more gasoline to the fire introduced me to the open baffle system using an Altec 403 driver. This was a relatively inexpensive project that involved buying some plywood, screws and a 403 driver. My friend Vic lent me his pair as he wasn't using it.

Driven with my favorite vintage amp, the Scott 299a El84 based integrated amp. I had a lot of sleepless nights listening to this small system. It was promising considering that i can only play very well about "15-20 cds" out of my 300 cd collection. Therefore, i only had 15 cd's there in that room. Vocals were good, guitars were good, anything simple was very good. Vocals had a certain charm to them. Very natural sounding. My favorites Artist Stacey Kent played a lot of hours in that system.

Coincidentally at this time period of the single driver speakers, again, thanks to James and Dan (tubedude), I got the amusement of vintage amps. At one time in this addictive hobby, i had about 20 vintage amps of different sorts at my disposal. Eico, Fisher, Scott, Dynaco, Bogen, and others I couldn't care to remember. E"pay" as Dan would term Ebay was a very good supplier of those amps. Countless nights were spent bidding at the auctions at Epay. My wife would wonder why at 2 am I would wake up and stare at the computer. " Honey, pls go to bed, I had to watch this bid which ends in 5 minutes. " And this went on for a few weeks. I also spend a lot of time going to the post office waiting for those packages to arrive. It was agony. Once an amp arrives, james and I would meet up to exchange notes.

As cheap as they were at that time with prices ranging from $100 to $400.00, as the saying goes, "nothing is free". Since these vintage amps were old, some of them as old as my parents.

Every now and then, tubes pop in the middle of a session, caps would smoke out all of a sudden fearing that it will destroy my speakers. Static and hum are very common. One channel is louder or weaker than the other. Boy, this was not good. Because of these problems, technicians from Manila were my best friend as well as the freight forwarders. Every week or every few days, I had to send the amps to either Rene or Mang Rod for repair and restorations. When they come back a few days later, another one had to be sent for the same reason.

Eventually I got tired of it , little by little, I started selling them until none was left in my possession. . They were good sounding, they had certain charms in them but I always felt something was missing in them. For one, most of these amps have the Highs rolled off, the mids are there, bass a bit loose. Later did i know that changing the caps, resistors, power supply to boutique parts does improve things significantly. By that time, it was all too late as I sold most of them.

As for the single driver speakers & the open baffle speaker experience, they were marvelous speakers in their own right. They were different from conventional bass reflex speakers. They had their own peculiar beauty and I know of some people here are die-hard fans of these type of speakers and I can understand their point of view. However in my case, while I appreciate their strengths, I couldn't live with their deficiencies. My marriage with the OB's and Single driver speakers was short lived, 6 months tops. Would i ever go back to them ? maybe ? time will tell.

Among the better set-up below is a pair of Proac Tablette Speakers driven with Eico ST40 integrated amp with all Audio Note sourcing. Quite musical!

Last edited by fld on Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby [L]es » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:14 pm

more, more ! great reads ! :)
[L]es
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby polaris » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:19 am

hi ferdie,

thank your for sharing. i know you have quite more to share in this journey, so keep it coming..
polaris
Citizen
Citizen

Postby DCO » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:37 am

Nice pare!
:)
DCO
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby randybarba » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:35 am

Wow! Very nice story complemented with beautiful pictures. Mouth-watering gear and acoustic treatment too. Congrats and thanks for sharing Ferds :)
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby pigdog » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:53 am

well FLD maybe its time we "horny" men should introduce you to the joys of the Horn driven speakers :devil: this is where the harana boys, the Setup boys along with Detubo come in. i have been using horn driven speakers for some time now, i wold say 5 years and enjoyed them considerably that i never thought of looking for the more conventional speakers perhaps the next step up would be the Field Coils!
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby brady » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:05 pm

Well, first, it depends on the kind of music one listens to. And then to our own individual experiences and tastes. Some people love horns (I certainly do... in fact, I seldom dust my box speakers, much less hook them up), some people love box speakers, some people love open baffles, etc... and the more gifted would probably enjoy just reading the music sheets!
brady
Citizen
Citizen

Postby kryptonite » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:21 pm

Nice Evolution! Not steered by the price tag or audio Magazine, but purely by your own ears. Congrats Sir, what next?
kryptonite

Postby odaey » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:56 pm

Words of Wisdom :rock: but love is Sweeter the second time around :)
odaey
Citizen
Citizen

Postby fld » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:08 pm

kryptonite wrote:Nice Evolution! Not steered by the price tag or audio Magazine, but purely by your own ears. Congrats Sir, what next?

Thank you! we have more systems to go until we reach the present system.... stay tune
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby John Martin » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:27 pm

Thanks Ferdie for the wonderful listening session.... Im looking forward to those panels. Its really true that its better to hear mid-fi equipment in a hi-end room. The ASC traps and panels really made the speaker and walls disappear. It really takes a lot of R & D work in the creation of acoustics. And the ACCUPHASE gears, HAAAY, what can I say ! No Bias....Congrats!
John Martin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Wye-FI » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:06 pm

Great Evolution and Great Gears... Congrats!! 8)
Wye-FI
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dimfer » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:12 pm

I love reading about hobby journeys :y:
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

"Me so Hony"

Postby fld » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:39 pm

pigdog wrote:well FLD maybe its time we "horny" men should introduce you to the joys of the Horn driven speakers :devil: this is where the harana boys, the Setup boys along with Detubo come in. i have been using horn driven speakers for some time now, i wold say 5 years and enjoyed them considerably that i never thought of looking for the more conventional speakers perhaps the next step up would be the Field Coils!

Randy, Jen, Enzolm, Les, DCO, Polaris, John Martin, dimfer and others thanks for the kind words. There will be more to come as this is a work in progress.

Thanks for chiming in Pigdog. I love your TT collection especially the Garrard 301. Lovely!
I have great respect for horn speakers or Horn driven speakers like the Avante Gards, Voice of the Theaters and others. I heard a few of these at Mang Johnny’s place, another VOT from a friend here in Cebu and the horn setups in the November Hi Fi Shows.

My close friend in Cebu, Sierra Brooks Horns has invited me to numerous sessions in his house. He owns the most horn drivers that I know off. He has collections of Choral Drivers and tweeters, an Ale 4 way driver system, AER drivers from Germany, Altec 515, 415, and others unknown to me. His electronics starting his front ends are the CEC TL0 transport, Thor Tube dac and Emotive Audio pre-amp SIRA. His amplifiers are also custom made from the labs of Jim Dowdy as well as from other Japanese single ended makers. He uses a variety of irons from Magnequest, Plitron, tamura and others I'm not very familiar.

Vic’s final products are among the best I’ve heard in my life. They really don't have that typical "horn" sound which i find a bit honky. While they are extremely good at what they do especially in the area of effortless dynamics, details, grand size sound, and the ability to play extreme loud levels, I can't stand listening to them for more than 20 minutes. My ears starts to buzz and I end up getting a headache. I’m sorry, I’m just not use to these kind of high spl’s. But in terms of sound quality especially in tonality, his are tops!!

Here are a few samples of his works: (Vic, the maker, is the one with glasses & wearing a white shirt.) Victor and Brady are the top Horn guys here in Cebu.

Vic has been using horn driven speakers for over 15 years. At one point he had a factory in Utah, USA. Since he decided to live in Cebu where their family business is, he started making the horns here in Cebu and he regularly exports them to US, Japan and Europe.

Will I ever get myself to be involved with Horns ? I really don't know but in years I had the opportunity to listen to them, they just don't click with me. Time will tell....
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Superman » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:53 pm

WOW! Please introduce him to me when I get a chance to visit you, sir...and is that Yoyong in the picture (Mr. Harbeth from CDO)??
Superman
Master Showman

Re: "Me so Hony"

Postby pigdog » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:57 pm

your friend vic has certainly got some wonderful horns! just out of curiousity, is he into manufacturing and designing furniture?

fld wrote:
pigdog wrote:well FLD maybe its time we "horny" men should introduce you to the joys of the Horn driven speakers :devil: this is where the harana boys, the Setup boys along with Detubo come in. i have been using horn driven speakers for some time now, i wold say 5 years and enjoyed them considerably that i never thought of looking for the more conventional speakers perhaps the next step up would be the Field Coils!

Randy, Jen, Enzolm, Les, DCO, Polaris, John Martin, dimfer and others thanks for the kind words. There will be more to come as this is a work in progress.

Thanks for chiming in Pigdog. I love your TT collection especially the Garrard 301. Lovely!
I have great respect for horn speakers or Horn driven speakers like the Avante Gards, Voice of the Theaters and others. I heard a few of these at Mang Johnny’s place, another VOT from a friend here in Cebu and the horn setups in the November Hi Fi Shows.

My close friend in Cebu, Sierra Brooks Horns has invited me to numerous sessions in his house. He owns the most horn drivers that I know off. He has collections of Choral Drivers and tweeters, an Ale 4 way driver system, AER drivers from Germany, Altec 515, 415, and others unknown to me. His electronics starting his front ends are the CEC TL0 transport, Thor Tube dac and Emotive Audio pre-amp SIRA. His amplifiers are also custom made from the labs of Jim Dowdy as well as from other Japanese single ended makers. He uses a variety of irons from Magnequest, Plitron, tamura and others I'm not very familiar.

Vic’s final products are among the best I’ve heard in my life. They really don't have that typical "horn" sound which i find a bit honky. While they are extremely good at what they do especially in the area of effortless dynamics, details, grand size sound, and the ability to play extreme loud levels, I can't stand listening to them for more than 20 minutes. My ears starts to buzz and I end up getting a headache. I’m sorry, I’m just not use to these kind of high spl’s. But in terms of sound quality especially in tonality, his are tops!!

Here are a few samples of his works: (Vic, the maker, is the one with glasses & wearing a white shirt.) Victor and Brady are the top Horn guys here in Cebu.

Vic has been using horn driven speakers for over 15 years. At one point he had a factory in Utah, USA. Since he decided to live in Cebu where their family business is, he started making the horns here in Cebu and he regularly exports them to US, Japan and Europe.

Will I ever get myself to be involved with Horns ? I really don't know but in years I had the opportunity to listen to them, they just don't click with me. Time will tell....
pigdog
Master
Master

Next

Return to Members' Audio Set-up