Mamimili's Subang set-up

Post your system set-up here.

Moderator: JackD201

Re: Mamimili's Subang set-up

Postby Mamimili » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:55 pm

dimfer wrote:nice write up Paul, I thought I was reading Fremer for a while.

amazing sounding amps are they? I am thoroughly enjoying my pair as well. reading your post I could hear my wallet shrinking... new tubes

I'd like to try other popular 6922's and with this setup we need four. I might have to unload some of my NOS Tungsol Round plates and other popular 6SN7's to make room.

I lucked out on a matched quad of copper plate GM70's about 2 yrs ago. I jumped on it even when we were just in the planning stage of this GM70 project :rofl: :rofl: A few more hours of burn in then I will throw them in.

Yes Ding, they do music very well indeed :D
I rolled this afternoon and have settled on Mullard ECC88's as my "standard / everyday" tube.
I tried some Amperex E88CC PQ, they started out as noisy as can be but once the music starts the sound is magical, i hesitate to say lifelike but very very close, very special :D :D
If Siemens or Telefunken live up to their reputation, and take as large a step as heard between my Mullards and Amperex then we have to open the wallets!
So far for me, RCA and Philips have a similar sound, nothing special. Amperex Bugle Boys were soundly beaten by Mullard, who were in turn slaughtered by Amperex PQ.

I just got some Tungsol 1G6Gt for the preamp, i will try them soon.

Like you i have a bunch of 6SN7's, i will keep enough for a lifetime supply for my Tono Violin but the rest have to make way.

I look forward to your opinion of the copper plates.......
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby dimfer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:36 pm

installed the copper plates and my Siemens Cca goldpin 6922's last Saturday..

the copper plates have warmer and more lucid presentation, but definitely less bass. They are a nice change for variety's sake, but unless you are getting them for a very good price, I'd say program youself to be happy with the graphite plates. they difinitely emit a much brighter light, I had to check for smoke the first time I powered them up :$

I originally installed my EAT ECC88's, but the cool dampers were touching the rivets on the plates, and the amps started humming. scared me for a bit, and then I remember that I have other nice 6922's to choose from. The humming went away after I switched to the Siemen goldpins.

I will switch back to the 6922 set that MR sent with the amp to have a better idea on the difference/similarity of the copper vs graphite plte GM70's.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Mamimili » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:31 pm

dimfer wrote:

installed the copper plates and my Siemens Cca goldpin 6922's last Saturday..

the copper plates have warmer and more lucid presentation, but definitely less bass. They are a nice change for variety's sake, but unless you are getting them for a very good price, I'd say program youself to be happy with the graphite plates. they difinitely emit a much brighter light, I had to check for smoke the first time I powered them up :$

I originally installed my EAT ECC88's, but the cool dampers were touching the rivets on the plates, and the amps started humming. scared me for a bit, and then I remember that I have other nice 6922's to choose from. The humming went away after I switched to the Siemen goldpins.

I will switch back to the 6922 set that MR sent with the amp to have a better idea on the difference/similarity of the copper vs graphite plte GM70's.

No hum, so life is good.
Ok Ding, i will stick with the graphite plates,there is more bass than i am used to but it is not ovepowering the room (my little Tono personal could overpower and vibrate the ceiling!) A single copper plate came up on ebay for $160, i did not bother looking at the listing.

I got a matched pair of Siemens Cca last week, but still waiting for the postman, and still searching for some Telefunken's at the right price. So far the more expensive tubes are proving to be very musical :D Once i get some Telefunken's i will compare all again and decide which tube to stay with.
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby kabubi » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:19 pm

since everyone here is having a good time tube rolling their 6922s, i'd like to offer a couple of tips:

1) try the 6H30 for its signature warm, glowing signature sound. if the tube(s) are new, the sound may have some dullness at first but after around 50 hours, the 6H30 mellows. if your system tends to meander to the bright side, this may be worth trying. Electro Harmonix is good, but i would always go for the European counterparts.

2) get a 6ES8 (or 7ES8 if you cant find one), preferably from the better known brands such as Telefunken, Mullard, RCA, etc. dont be surprised if this variant trounces your top of the line 6922. these tubes are cheap, too, but not the Telefunkens though.

3) the 6DJ8 should be in your short list, too, specially the Tungsram.

hope this helps.

bubi
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby Superman » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:42 pm

Is the 6H30 a direct replacement for 6922 tubes?
Superman
Master Showman

Postby kabubi » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:52 pm

Superman wrote:Is the 6H30 a direct replacement for 6922 tubes?

yes na yezzzzz :)
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby dimfer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:02 pm

and the 6H30-DR? any experience with this?
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Superman » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:21 pm

kabubi wrote:

AYUS!! What brand do you recommend?
Superman
Master Showman

Postby kabubi » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:24 am

Superman wrote:
kabubi wrote:

AYUS!! What brand do you recommend?

Sovtek. Electro Harmonix. and the most acclaimed, the 6H30-DR super tube (super din ang price).
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby Mamimili » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:38 pm

kabubi wrote:since everyone here is having a good time tube rolling their 6922s, i'd like to offer a couple of tips:

1) try the 6H30 for its signature warm, glowing signature sound. if the tube(s) are new, the sound may have some dullness at first but after around 50 hours, the 6H30 mellows. if your system tends to meander to the bright side, this may be worth trying. Electro Harmonix is good, but i would always go for the European counterparts.

2) get a 6ES8 (or 7ES8 if you cant find one), preferably from the better known brands such as Telefunken, Mullard, RCA, etc. dont be surprised if this variant trounces your top of the line 6922. these tubes are cheap, too, but not the Telefunkens though.

hope this helps.

bubi

Thanks!

(Just when i thought i had my wishlist sorted and it was safe to go back into the water!)
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby kabubi » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:54 pm

Mamimili wrote:Thanks!

(Just when i thought i had my wishlist sorted and it was safe to go back into the water!)

ei Paul,

even a cheapskate will be able to afford any or all of the tubes i mentioned. you dont have to get the astronomically priced variants right away, just the everyday brands will do :)
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby Mamimili » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:22 pm

kabubi wrote:
Mamimili wrote:Thanks!

ei Paul,

even a cheapskate will be able to afford any or all of the tubes i mentioned. you dont have to get the astronomically priced variants right away, just the everyday brands will do :)

Yup, i still need to breath oxygen so anything prefixed with "astro" or "buy it now" is ignored. There is a guy selling EH and Sovtec 6H30's near to me, i will get prices tomorrow.
So many choices!

I am laughing all the way to the bank with my so far best sound Amperex, purchased many years ago for very little cash, used once and rejected, now accepted :D
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby kabubi » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:58 pm

take a leap of faith on the 6ES8, Paul Strawford. whaddya gotta lose? 8) 8) 8)
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby Mamimili » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:19 pm

Now using Siemens E88CC / 6922's :inlove: :inlove: and they are a subtle but certain step up from Amperex 6922's :inlove:
One comment from my golden eared better half "even ordinary tracks on an ipod are worth listening to now, i hear more on tracks that i know really well"

Kabubs, i am waiting for a pair of 7ES8's to arrive.....

I should have asked Mang Rod for 2 extra sockets with a 3 way switch to make tube rolling easier!
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:54 pm

kabubi wrote:since everyone here is having a good time tube rolling their 6922s, i'd like to offer a couple of tips:

hope this helps.

bubi

Telefunken 7ES8, NOS. Designed as a 10,000 hour tube.
A pair cost me the equivalent of 2 pints of cider, not even an hour’s worth of drinking, not a lot.

Reviewed in my system, in my room, using my music through DIY speakers so your results will differ.
First of all it is a very quiet tube, I cannot hear anything (this might be down to my new preamp being in its stealthy silent battery powered mode).
There is a slight hard edge that creeps in, after a while I stopped noticing it but it’s there. The British are a tad sweeter, or the Germans are a tad more clinical.
It took around 20 minutes for the bass to warm up, very noticeable as it only takes around 4 minutes to brew a cup of tea, 5 minutes to smoke etc. so these tubes kept me waiting.
Soundstage is decent but not outside the speakers.

Compared to the Mullard, Philips, Sovtek and RCA ECC88’s I have (all cost more on ebay) I think the Telefunken 7ES8’s are better value.

Compared to my latest favourite Siemens E88CC tubes (tubes with a 10x higher price tag).
Siemens tubes are better, all around better but then they should be, should'nt they?
Siemens, more taut bass (I have no sub, but I am finally beginning to appreciate the nuances of good bass) a wider soundstage, more slam.
Where the Siemens really win is PRAT, the Telefunken's are slow in comparison.

One thing is clear, I now have synergy of equipment as audio terms make more sense. I am working myself up to an equipment review
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby ESaudio » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:52 pm

Hi Paul!

7ES8 or 6ES8 tube is a variable triode tube. We have tested and experimented on it. It is more impressive as a preamp tube especially the telefunken rather than using it as input tube on the Gm70. We have tested the Tele7ES8 at chuck's place on my switchable 10Y/6922 preamp and it's quite a performer, very impressive. But when I and MR tested and used it as an input tube on the Gm70 amps in another system, we noticed that the 6ES8 changes its dynamics or sound character at a certain volume level. So, we momentarily discontinued its use as an input tube for Gm70 amps. Why not try the 6FQ7/6CG7 especially the NOS Hitachi? ;)
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Mamimili » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:30 am

My last tube "review"
Compared to the Mullards, Philips, Sovtek and RCA ECC88’s I have (all cost more on ebay) I think the Telefunken 7ES8’s are better value.
Compared to my latest favourite Siemens E88CC tubes (tubes with a 10x higher price tag).
Siemens tubes are better, all around better but then they should be, shouldn't they?
Siemens, more taut bass (I have no sub, but I am finally beginning to appreciate the nuances of good bass) a wider soundstage, more slam.
Where the Siemens really win is PRAT, the Telefunken's (7ES8) are slow in comparison.
End quote.

Well, finally my luck changed and i have a pair of (no longer!) sealed box 1962 Telefunken E88CC tubes.
They are not a step up on the Siemens, they are from a different planet and arrived via TARDIS. The difference is not a slap in the face, it’s a kick in the nether regions.
If my previous favourite Siemens are a teenage bedroom band, the Telefunkens are a guy with a sax in a small bar, the pianist in a tea room, the Rio carnival, Mardi Gras, the audience and orchestra in full swing at the Royal Albert Hall on the last Night of The Proms during Land of Hope and Glory, Carmina Burana, Ayrton Senna in his McLaren Honda MP4/6 in Monaco’s tunnel……
These tubes are not stereotypical German, they are warm, deep, lively, smooth, inviting, involving. They are so flexible as so far they sound great for any genre
Earlier this week I read an article stating that all tubes sound the same, that they all come from the same source and are rebadged to increase the price, that anyone who says different is a fool parted with his money who has to say his latest acquisition is better than before, i say the writer is either deaf or a solid state junkie who refuses rehab.
I paid less for the pair than Kevin Deal's price guide for a single tube, how i wish there i had been a few more pairs available at the same price!
Stupid stupid stupid of me to spend money on "second best" tubes....i need 2 more pairs of the same as backups, after that do i really need to roll again? I think not.
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:58 pm

What to do during a self-imposed No FaceBook Day?
January 1st, 2014, no FB gave me time, amongst other enjoyable activities, to set up a wooden corner with pride of place going to the Sony STR-7055.
This great analogue receiver is doing digital duty, iPod and CD's only. Shame on me!

As it was New Year’s Day and the shops were closed i was in a bind getting a 230-110v transformer, but then i noticed a little black cover, once removed i saw a multiple voltage selector plug. The Sony is singing again (but wants better speakers)

Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Superman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:19 pm

Nice one Paul!

If my OB trip pushes thru, I should be in Malaysia by Valentine's day :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby Mamimili » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:20 pm

Superman wrote:Nice one Paul!