Moderator: JackD201

Postby Jon Agner » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:08 pm

Paul,

Nice Wood setup :D :D :D And yes, Slate would be a good alternative :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby Mamimili » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:17 pm

audiostar wrote:You're keeping us glued in excitement over your audiovovela :D I wonder where the next set up will be :lol: :lol: It creates an itch for me to listen to your systems :lol: :lol:

There are few SS 70's components left in the UK, i am in no hurry to go photograph them, so thats all from me :D

Unless i spend more time in the bathroom....

Lets have a session when i come back.
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:22 pm

Jon Agner wrote:Paul,

Nice Wood setup :D :D :D And yes, Slate would be a good alternative :D

Cheers Jon. My mental picture is of a slate deck in a very dark wood plinth. Good looking, so refined :D
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby wattanabe » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:08 pm

ayos sa alright, hehe :D be it manila or kl, may tambak sa sahig :twisted:
wattanabe
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Mamimili » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:31 pm

wattanabe wrote:ayos sa alright, hehe :D be it manila or kl, may tambak sa sahig :twisted:

You can change countries but you can't change the mind :D :D
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:02 pm

Vibrations, echos, screeching highs, booming bass. Nothing i did would cure any problem so i moved everything out and started again.
Now it's better, every problem reduced, i just need to work on the area behind the speakers. Later :lol:
Next, power and speaker cables, a mono OB and i will be sitting and listening with no other thought except which BP to play next and what to drink.
A tube rack, an SS rack and i can record from either, i can reach the volume pots without getting out of my chair so a clear improvement :D

Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby amandarae » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:04 pm

Hey, hey! Cool set up Paul!

best,

Abe
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Mamimili » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:07 pm

amandarae wrote:Hey, hey! Cool set up Paul!

best,

Abe

Cheers Abe!
You have to stop at some point, and with this room i think i am really close to the day when i can say "Enough!" :D
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Superman » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:15 pm

CONGRATUTLATIONS, Paul!

My apologies for not being able to SMS you while in SG...our trip to KL was cancelled...we had a toxic/hectic SG sked so last minute we decided to cancel it HOWEVER, we may be back in November (for the SG Hi-Fi Show) and December (for Christmas and New Year)...will make sure to visit KL even for a day...

Thanks! Went home in PH with both pockets empty...due to SHOPPING, hehehe! :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby Mamimili » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:24 pm

Superman wrote:CONGRATUTLATIONS, Paul!

My apologies for not being able to SMS you while in SG...our trip to KL was cancelled...we had a toxic/hectic SG sked so last minute we decided to cancel it HOWEVER, we may be back in November (for the SG Hi-Fi Show) and December (for Christmas and New Year)...will make sure to visit KL even for a day...

No problem Jen, it must be good when shopping can empty the pockets :lol:

I would not have been any help in KL. I was in Singapore overnight when i sms'd you and then i spent last week in Jakarta, a last minute change in schedule and all i got was a virus that wiped my hard drive clean :cry:

Next time....the KL vinyl sellers increase the selection and decrease the price from early November :D
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Superman » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:41 pm

Mamimili wrote:
Superman wrote:CONGRATUTLATIONS, Paul!

No problem Jen, it must be good when shopping can empty the pockets :lol:

I would not have been any help in KL. I was in Singapore overnight when i sms'd you and then i spent last week in Jakarta, a last minute change in schedule and all i got was a virus that wiped my hard drive clean :cry:

Next time....the KL vinyl sellers increase the selection and decrease the price from early November :D

ALRIGHT! :D
Superman
Master Showman

Re: Mamimili's Subang set-up

Postby Mamimili » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:22 pm

Inspired by recent posts, I tried a small 3 band equalizer. Just a quick test using a laptop as a digital source

Well my quick test turned into a few hours :D
30 something years ago i was at a Crusaders concert, their rendition of Snowflake transported me to another world, a feeling and sound i have never forgotten. Since that day every recording i have of Snowflake has let me down, LP or CD, always flat.
Until today, now Snowflake had presence, sparkle......life
I am now an equalizer freak (or maybe i should just hook up an amp with tone controls?)

My Goodmans experiment has progressed a little, instead of a tall skinny baffle i now have a squat baffle (the size that Goodmans reccomend :$ ) These drivers need very ittle amp power to go very loud (using a Tono Personal) and have lots of detail, it's time to bite the financial bullet and have a carpenter makes some decent boxes!
The best baffle angle so far is 80 degrees, best soundstage yet has been with the baffle raised 3 inches off the floor )Goodmans state 2 inches).
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby audiostar » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:24 pm

Yeah baby :clap: :clap: :clap: Congrats Paul, really neat set up you have there :)
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Postby Mamimili » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:41 pm

audiostar wrote:Yeah baby :clap: :clap: :clap: Congrats Paul, really neat set up you have there :)

Neat as in Not Ever Arranged Tidy Val?

I have a lot of dressing to do, once i finish my experiments!
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:37 pm

I took my Uma Thurman poster down and my soundstage doubled in width, bass tightened up, i would never have thought a poster could kill a room!!!

But, the soundstage is still behind the speakers (not really a problem as the speakers have now disappeared) and too low (which is a problem for me) so i will continue to adjust the baffle angle (i assume)
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:32 pm

Next step in my Goodmans plan, original crossovers are about to be tested.
They have been sitting in our NY office for years as nobody would carry old wooden boxes full of coils through airport security! So i brought them back as checked baggage and they survived :D
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Mamimili » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:51 pm

GM-70's in their new home

The preamp is off to my right on the TT rack. I turned on my Technics TT the other day but it was dead, along with the phono stage, for a few minutes i was in a panic, but then i remembered the preamp is battery powered and i had not tuned on the rack's power supply :D That preamp is deathly quiet in battery mode!

I am trying to be patient and let everything settle down, so only a few tubes have been rolled so far. Apart from the GM-70 tubes, i am currently using GE 6S4A and Philips E88CC.
Waiting to be rolled are DuMont 6S4A's, Mullard ECC88's and Amperex E88CC PQ's. I hope to hear significant differences between the sound of all tubes, so that i will be encouraged to try the big boys - Telefunken's and Siemens (currently way out of my budget).
The only tubes that i cannot find are copper plate GM-70's. As non have come up on ePay i guess their price will match their rarity. Reviews of the copper plate tubes talk of slightly less bass and a warmer sound. At some point i will get lucky and find out.

I will keep my mono equipment but i am not sure where to place the OB, possibly on a platform behind the amps, possibly behind my listening position.

So what have i gained from the GM-70's? :inlove: Bass for one thing, more than one note bass but i will need to do some room treatment. The whole sound has "fleshed out", on decently recorded music the speakers do disappear and vocals come to the fore, i have layered sound again, good instrument placement etc. The sound stage is at the right height and gives a realistic image size in the space available.
I am very aware that the best performance of these amps exceeds my setup capabilities, i need to seriously apply myself to the application and understanding of room treatment, so back to school i go |-)
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby usai » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:12 pm

nice nice racks sir :inlove:
usai
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dimfer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:22 pm

nice write up Paul, I thought I was reading Fremer for a while.

amazing sounding amps are they? I am thoroughly enjoying my pair as well. reading your post I could hear my wallet shrinking... new tubes

I'd like to try other popular 6922's and with this setup we need four. I might have to unload some of my NOS Tungsol Round plates and other popular 6SN7's to make room.

I lucked out on a matched quad of copper plate GM70's about 2 yrs ago. I jumped on it even when we were just in the planning stage of this GM70 project :rofl: :rofl: A few more hours of burn in then I will throw them in.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Mamimili » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:53 pm

usai wrote:nice nice racks sir :inlove:

Thanks, but i am a little worried about them holding up for the long term!
They are not solid wood, the shelf itself is strong enough but the leg bolts are weak (i stripped a thread when i moved them last week) so i am thinking about using a threaded bar instead.
Last edited by Mamimili on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mamimili
Master
Master

PreviousNext

Return to Members' Audio Set-up