Randy's Audio Setup

Post your system set-up here.

Moderator: JackD201

Re: Randy's Audio Setup

Postby randybarba » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:21 am

Thanks guys and gal :) . Tama ka Jean - clear nga :)
Pareng Val and Dante, session tayo soon pag medyo di busy si misis para may magluto ng masarap :lol:
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby koi » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:12 pm

Congrats Doc Randy and welcome to the club. Balita ko nga ganda ng tunog mo ngayon. Hope I can listen to ur system one of these days.
koi
Citizen
Citizen

Postby randybarba » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:58 pm

koi wrote:Congrats Doc Randy and welcome to the club. Balita ko nga ganda ng tunog mo ngayon. Hope I can listen to ur system one of these days.

Sure Bert :) . It would be an honor to have you over. I'd also like to visit your place and listen to the SF flagship. Sama ako kay Elmo when he visits you one of these days :) . BTW, my colleague in Bulacan who bought a liuto is very happy with the system that Elmo and I set up in his place. Even his wife enjoys his SF based system immensely :) .
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby koi » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:53 pm

Tks Doc. I'm glad your friend is enjoying the liuto. Sa inyo muna Doc. I just sold my Amati Anniversario. Pag dating na lang ng Futura.
koi
Citizen
Citizen

Postby randybarba » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:59 pm

OK Bert. I'll keep you posted :)
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby koi » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:34 pm

Thanks Doc.
koi
Citizen
Citizen

My Latest Visit with King Barracuda

Postby JackD201 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:31 pm

I got a call from Doc Randy last week. The kind that will make any dealer's eyes go big. "There's something wrong with one of my speakers, the bass module is dead". It had never happened before, so ha! Time for me to apply all the stuff Damon taught me when he was here. No sending techs. Besides, perfect opportunity to have some merienda prepared by Riza :D :D :D

To cut to the chase, the right cabinet was indeed dead as door nails. It would take a catastrophic accident to burn the voice coils and according to Dr. Hook there were no such accidents. Anyway sometimes cones lock with burnt coils and sometimes they don't. The cones had normal play but we had to make sure. I disassembled the bass cabinet and tested the drivers individually. To our common relief (burnt voice coils are not covered by the warranty) the woofers were fine. Diving deeper into the speaker I went to check the inductors. Not an easy thing to do since they are potted and mounted in an unfriendly part of the cross braced interior. I said to myself, skip muna. We then tested if it was the binding post connection. AHA! That was it. Apparently there's been dirt and corrosion INSIDE the binding post. Again something I've never seen before. Anyway, I rewired the LP XO to the datalink taps until I can get replacement posts. With the cab now working, I finally had a chance to listen to what my old friend has been up to.

Randy is the type of customer you want to have. I say this not just because he always pays on time :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: What I mean is it makes me really happy when I see people in this hobby pay their dues and enjoy the inevitable rewards. Like the disciplined Doctor that he is, he's proved once again that addressing basic fundamentals is THE real secret to good sound. Since my last visit, he's transformed his room acoustically, knowingly or unknowingly zeroed in great overall system gain structure, used out of the box placement methods that made the speakers disappear better than where I had placed them when he was using the Rockets. While I had the opportunity to listen to only two cuts, I could see why Doc has not been in any hurry to go and grab Papa 4s. Parang si Dante rin, they've managed to massage more and more performance out of the Jrs. With time running out, merienda time!

Scrumptious steak sandwiches c/o Riza counterpointed with good ol' potato chips. I wanted to make baon pero nahiya ako. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Anyhow, I've ordered the replacement posts but have been wondering what circumstances could have caused this. It just hit me this afternoon!

Doc, that kind of accumulation of particulates and level of oxidation requires continuous air flow. Humidity alone won't do it. The placement of your speakers puts it in the path of your AC. I remember feeling the draft. No problem there, you don't have to reposition. May confluence of events lang nga! The Isolda's have piggy back receptacles for another set of bananas. By accident air may have been given a straight shot at the solder joint! Just plug the holes my friend. :)

Congrats with how you've developed your room and system! :rock:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby mozilla » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:54 pm

Nice setup you have there Randy.I'm sure it keeps you up all night.

Sent from my Desire HD on Tapatalk
mozilla

Postby randybarba » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:17 pm

It was indeed a very fun-filled sunday afternoon when Jack came to visit. I was expecting he'd have some tech people in tow but to my complete amazement, he went down complete with tools and did the job himself! Now that's what I call knowing your own product - not only specs on paper but down to the nitty gritty technical details as well :clap: :clap: :clap: . He even did the soldering of the binding posts himself - while I was trying to recall if I had paid my for my fire insurance already :lol: . Anyway, the house was almost entirely made of concrete so I hoped it would be fireproof (just in case Jack dropped the soldering iron) :lol: . My jrs were up and running in no time at all. Too bad Jack had a dinner appointment with his dad and couldn't stay for too long so after he left, I did the fine tuning of my system myself (the bass now was a bit too strong with both modules firing), lowering the Parasound's gain until I found the amount of bass just right for my liking.

Many thanks to Jack for the free repair service and hats off to you for knowing your product very well, down to the molecular level :rock: . Excellent customer service, that's VSA for you :) . And that steak sandwich, actually Riza had prepared a pabaon for you but in the rush of things, it slipped her mind. Kinain ko na lang pag-alis mo :lol: . Anyway, we'll prepare some more when the new binding post arrives :) .

@Mozilla - yes, it does. Takes away the day's stress :) .
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:08 pm

Doc Barracuda, sabi ni Papa Bear maraming salamat sa pabaon niya :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Asahan ko yung next merienda :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby randybarba » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:52 am

Looking forward to it Bro. And I'll also try to dig up more pabaon for papa bear :D
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby B747 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:29 pm

Hi Doc, I will be doing my finishing touches of Doc Tab's A/V room and plans to visit you then, hopefully next week if my time will permit. I plan to tag along Doc Tabs and hoping you can visit his place as well to see the treatment and gears I installed. ;)

Congrats on your new acquisitions! 8)
B747
Citizen
Citizen

Postby randybarba » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:45 pm

Hi Donnel,

Yes, let's sked that long overdue session at my place. Bring Tabs and Arnold as well. Text me as soon as your sked is free so I can prepare a nice merienda for us :) . I'd also love to visit Tab's place and check out your work :) .
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby leocruz » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:19 am

Hi,Sir
I'm here in Dubai but still not pro on Audiophile like you sir amazing set up gear that you have sa bahay nyo ba yan?Kung ba ga sa full meal starter to main course may dessert and tea coffee pa hehhehe..mabrook Doc.....Leo of Dubai..
leocruz

Postby randybarba » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:52 pm

leocruz wrote:Hi,Sir
I'm here in Dubai but still not pro on Audiophile like you sir amazing set up gear that you have sa bahay nyo ba yan?Kung ba ga sa full meal starter to main course may dessert and tea coffee pa hehhehe..mabrook Doc.....Leo of Dubai..

Thanks for the compliment Leo :) . You guys in Dubai have more choices when it comes to audio gear as virtually all the prominent names in audio have dealers there. Good luck on your audio journey bro :) . You are welcome to visit when you're here back home :) .
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rtsyrtsy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:03 pm

randybarba wrote:
leocruz wrote:You guys in Dubai have more choices when it comes to audio gear as virtually all the prominent names in audio have dealers there.

I am based in Dubai.

The audiophile scene here is nowhere close to Manila.

Simple examples: no local source of good vinyl, no equivalent to Hypertriode / Mang Rod / Harana Boys / TAS, etc. CJ dealer does not stock any model. Naim dealer only stocks entry level model, Reference models by order only. No SET / high efficiency speakers.

No wonder my audiophile hobby stagnated or even hibernated while I'm here.

Good news is that my personal net worth is not taking a beating from the audio hobby. :)

Nice arm. Pareho tayo.
rtsyrtsy

Postby randybarba » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:24 am

rtsyrtsy wrote:
randybarba wrote:
leocruz wrote:You guys in Dubai have more choices when it comes to audio gear as virtually all the prominent names in audio have dealers there.

I am based in Dubai.

The audiophile scene here is nowhere close to Manila.

Simple examples: no local source of good vinyl, no equivalent to Hypertriode / Mang Rod / Harana Boys / TAS, etc. CJ dealer does not stock any model. Naim dealer only stocks entry level model, Reference models by order only. No SET / high efficiency speakers.

No wonder my audiophile hobby stagnated or even hibernated while I'm here.

Good news is that my personal net worth is not taking a beating from the audio hobby. :)

Nice arm. Pareho tayo.

Wow. I didn't know it was that sad. I thought since Dubai is home to rich arabs, high end audio would flourish there. Guess I was mistaken. But you're right, less gastos and more savings for you :) . The arm is very convenient to use, madali lang magpalit carts/headshells no? :)
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rtsyrtsy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:35 am

randybarba wrote:The arm is very convenient to use, madali lang magpalit carts/headshells no? :)

Especially for someone as lazy as me, absolutely! How's it mating w/ the Clearaudio? I've only ever tried a decent Dynavector and an entry level Denon.
rtsyrtsy

Postby randybarba » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:58 pm

Its mating very well with the clearaudio. I don't hear any of the usual complaints about clearaudio being bright and manipis. The highs are open, no glare, well fleshed out mids and very tight bass (I would even say tighter than my dynavector xv1s). Dynamics are explosive, at par with the xv1s. I've also used it with the benz micro gullwing, ref 3, and glider as well as a denon 104. All the carts showed their own different characteristics including strengths and weaknesses. Hard to say if the arm was able to bring out all the best in those carts as I have not heard them in other tonearms but differentiate them from each other, the arm did that. I think the tonearm likes tables with heavy plinths and I assume it likes your tw acoustic table very much :) . I've heard that table in a friend's set up (stock tonearm though, not dv) and I liked it as it was very quiet. Another thing I like about your table is that, unlike mine, it can accomodate more than 1 arm. More choices, more flavor :) .
randybarba
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Members' Audio Set-up