My Audio Journey

Post your system set-up here.

Moderator: JackD201

Re: My Audio Journey

Postby JoeyGS » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:12 pm

Yup, the USB cable is another possible weak link in the chain. Good that you wont have to deal with this variable.
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rtsyrtsy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:30 am

Ding,

Bitin! More please.

My favourite is the pile of Hog Shack BBQ. Not surprisingly.

May all our 2014 be fantastic!
rtsyrtsy

Postby botching » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:07 pm

Ding, bad foods yang tinda sa Hog Shack pero ang sarap sarap kaya ng baby back ribs at pulled pork nila :lol:
botching
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dimfer » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:36 am

Bitin! More please.

My favourite is the pile of Hog Shack BBQ. Not surprisingly.

May all our 2014 be fantastic!

Bitin ba? Baka magalit n si VD nya, magastos sa bandwidth :D :D

Hog Shack is the place to pig out :rock:

Sana nga Bro!

Ding, bad foods yang tinda sa Hog Shack pero ang sarap sarap kaya ng baby back ribs at pulled pork nila

it was our first time, meron pang introduction session bago nagsimulang kumain.We took pictures before we indulged in what they call Dino Bone, di ko na makita sa cel phone ko. It was cool. Sarap din ng pulled pork & the sausages. Baon namin papuntang Tofino yung mga tira tira.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dimfer » Fri May 09, 2014 7:51 am

My DIY ultrasonic record cleaning machine.. simple design and very easy to use. I have 3 sets of removable record holder and rubber spacers. When batch 1 is done, you take out the whole thing (skewer & records) and put batch 2 for cleaning. Then move batch 1 to the drying system - a similar setup but with a faster motor & a small electric fan for air drying. Once you got batch 1(dryer) and batch 2 (cleaner) going, you can tuhog batch 3 :devil:

Audio excitement is building up.. hoping to hear Magico Ultimate 3 at the Munich Show.. there are 2 audio shows in Munich on the weekend of May 18, the Munich Highend and a smaller show half a block away from the hotel where we are staying.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dimfer » Fri May 09, 2014 8:09 am

and here's my other finished DIY project (footer a la Stillpoints Ultra). I did not expect much result - but man, this thing works. Bass resolution galore.. tight and well defined (parang desciption yata ng girlfriend ni :tmi: )

I am done with my audio projects for now. My current project - weigh below 200 by the day I celebrate my 50th :angel:
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dimfer » Fri May 09, 2014 12:33 pm

I just realized nakunan din pala sa video yung Toyomansi at suka - hindi kasama yan sa record cleaning solution recipe ko ha, baka masisi pa ako sa bandang huli :devil:

para sa okoy yun :inlove:
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dimfer » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:41 pm

I played around with better/tweaked SATA cable for my MP64 but it did not make any discernible improvement. Mark Porzilli said he also experimented but did not find any merit. Having said that, I remain very pleased and still impressed with MP64's performance. I still think it is one of the better (if not the best) players out there. I understand why a lot of people did not like it - because it lacks the colouration/distortion that most audiophiles (especially analog lovers) are used to. A local audiophile with a full top of the line Esoteric stack heard it and was very impressed by it, but he said it's lacked some of the qualities he is used to. When he described it, it became clear to me that he is describing colouration. I have also owned the very well reviewed PS Audio Direct Stream DAC since July and has compared the two very closely, and while the PS Audio is a very very good DAC, it is not as neutral and as dynamic as the MP64.

I had been experimenting the merits of eliminating vibration for a long time, that's why it is one of my favourite tweaks. Now I have a better understanding why speaker and audio builders are putting a lot of effort and expense in eliminating it. I own a pair of Mordaunt Short monitor speakers that we have been using in our karaoke setup. When I merged our karaoke system with our HT, the MS became idle. Since the vinyl finish was showing some signs of overuse and abuse already, I decided to strip it and experiment with it. Just to get a better sense of the change/improvement, I did one speaker first, then listened to it vs the untreated one for a while. Boy, even at this pedestrian level, the improvement was significant. I had the speakers setup in one of the vacant bedrooms in the basement, driven by the usual old JVC a/v receiver. The treated speaker seemed to disappear from the room better, I switched their positions just to confirm my observation and my finding was consistent. After both speakers were fully treated with damping material, they seem to have better clarity and focus.

I know the finish is not the greatest, but here is the box after 3 coats of damping material inside and outside, lot's of manual sanding and two coats of black paint on the outer wall. For some reason it looks really ugly in the picture, but it's actually not that bad

inside the box

crossover parts and all internal wires were also damped

back of the drivers

finished and sounding better

it was a fun and cheap experiment for me.

As part of this journey, me and my wife travelled to Europe to attend the Munich Highend Show. We deliberated for a while because we cannot decide if we should leave my 86 year old mother under the care of our two young(ish) adult daughters for a long time. Also, my wife's current job only allow her to be away on certain dates of the month, when we decided to go ahead with the trip, we squeezed everything in the 12 day window that she can travel. This is going to be a trip to the audio show and a mini vacation at the same time. Sabi ng karamihan, if you go to Europe, kailangan isali ang Paris and of course, dahil Katoliko tayo :angel: ang Vatican. So after online research - I booked mostly through Expedia.ca. We landed in Paris, tried to see as much as we could in 3 days, it was mostly rainy and gloomy but we enjoyed it. Paris is a very beautiful and romantic city and you can still tell that the early French leaders/rulers tried to show their power and dominance in controlling everything, even how the trees grow and plants are shaped. I am not into arts at all, but wow, some of the works displayed at Louvre were just exceptional. Our daughter spent 2 weeks visiting the museums in Paris after she graduated from university and I was wondering why back then ( I spend 2 hours at most in all museums that I had visited before), but now I understand. Wish to spend more time here later in life, maybe when I retire at medyo mayaman na sa oras.

From Paris, we took the train to Strasbourg, a town near the France/Germany border. A nice little town with a good mixture of both German & French influence. Medyo naisahan kami ng taxi driver dito. As per google map, our hotel is less than a km away from the train station. In European standard, a short walk. Pero medyo impatient na si Mrs Dimfer to figure out which way to go (left, right or diretso), so we took the cab. Aba, malayo ang nilakbay namin. I know iniisahan na kami, but then I took the opportunity to see more of the town, enjoy na rin. Seeing the Notre Dame Church of Strasbourg is an experience I will not forget soon. The details put into it is out this world. The church is literally adorned with thousands of rebultos.

From Strasbourg, we took another train that took us to Munich. Dito medyo ipinasyal din kami nung isang taxi driver na naarkila namin. The Highend Show was held at the MOC Center, unlike the CES & Newport Beach show I attended which were held a hotels. The MOC is designed to hold tradeshows and conventions, the rooms are generally bigger than most hotel rooms used in other shows. Since we have a trade pass, we were allowed to go on the very first day of the show. I was not expecting much people, but traffic was heavier than the busiest day at Newport, not as busy as CES though. What impressed me the most about this show is the fact that manufacturers go all out, they bring the best product in their lineup.. they don't just want to be there, most of them are there to make a statement. Of course, I targeted 2 rooms right away, para kung ano man ang mangyari, nairaos na :D . The first room was the Magico Ultimate 3/Q sub room. One word to describe it - awesome. This is one of, no it is the most realistic stereo reproduction I have ever heard so far. Reading through the various comments about this room, a lot of people were underwhelmed. Probably because of expectation bias, and very much like the MP64, due of absence of any form of colouration. But if you will really digest what the system brings - it has scale, dynamics, presence etc etc. It is a horn system without the traditional horn baggage. I was lucky to occupy the best spot in the room for the entire presentation session - approximately 45 minutes. Man, those Ale drivers Alon used are huge. I've heard most of the Magico products and liked all of them, and while the Q7 driven by topline VAC at Newport Beach show was awesome, the U3 is a different league.

Here are some of the videos I recorded

another target room is the Vox Olympian room. This one is very easy to live with, romantic & seductive

now, if you will twist my arm and make me choose between the two awesome systems - I'd take the Vox Olympian system. I can live with whatever colouration it brings. But this system can be dynamic as well. When the room next door went a little too loud, the room host played a dynamic track and cranked the volume a little bit. Not long after that, their volume level adjusted accordingly. There were other awesome rooms, Rockport, Wilson, TAD. Germany is a horn country, so there were horn systems that I have never even heard about. Here's a link to more pictures.

you know this guy?

We also walked to the other audio show, but there was not too many people there when we got there

while preparing for the trip, our daughter advised us to walk a lot and get our bodies conditioned for it because it is the only way to enjoy Europe. Not much of a problem for me, but my wife is totally a different story. :D She did not mind all the walking in Paris, Strasbourg & Munich - but she paid for it dearly when she dared to walk all the way up to the Neuschwantein Castle.

From Munich, we took the train to Venice. I originally booked a car rental to see the Italian countryside and drive to Florence but when my wife saw Hotel Excelsior, she changed her mind and reasoned out that since we'd been on the go for an entire week, it will be a good idea to slow the phase down a little bit and enjoy our stay in Lido de Venezia. So I cancelled the booked tours in Florence, so with our car rental and switched to relax mode. The Excelsior used to be the target destination of the Hollywood stars when in Venice and while it is showing it's age, it has remained a very nice 5 star hotel. It is about 30 minutes boat ride away from the hustle of St. Mark's Square.

Venice is a cool place, especially when you put into consideration that they started building the city in the 1200's. A different kind of experience. From here, we took the train again to the last stop - Rome. I think I've mentioned here before that my wife loves Italian food, so part of the trip to Rome I booked a 20 course gourmet dinner. I was a expecting to dine in a nice resto in a hotel setting and was a bit disappointed to walk into an empty almost carenderia looking resto tucked in a residential/commercial area (we took the bus, hirap sanang hanapin buti na lang may naka kwentuhang kababayan natin sa bus who happen to know the resto). Once they started serving the food, all my apprehension about the place disappeared. Fun to eat in a place where you have no clue on some of the food you are ingesting. My wife is not the most adventurous diner and had to ask our host a few times what the heck they were serving and how to eat it, by the end of the evening we were actually having fun. I was also pleasantly surprised to know that by the time we left, the place was packed and has a half a block long lineup.

Vatican/Rome is yet another type of experience. Yaman ng simbahan natin :lol:

with the higher resolution digital audio now, I experimented removing the Copland DRC 205 which works by shaving some offending bits to smoothen the audio response of a given room. After living with it for so long, I almost cannot listen to my system without it. There is an obvious bump 300 - 3500 hz range. I tried to remedy this by implementing some DIY room treatment.

finished

there is no denying that this helped.

Our older daughter decided she need a space bigger than her 840 sq. condo, listed it and bought a townhouse not too far from our house. Her place sold in 4 days, she ended moving back to our basement until the time she took possession of her new place. Well, may pagka diva at ayaw ng maingay ang isang ito, so I ended up not firing my main rig (in the basement) for over two months. Buti na lang may Audeze na. When she finally moved early last month, I took the opportunity to rearrange my system again and re-inserted the digital room correction. I think the combination of physical room treatments and digital room correction brings better sound.

the Monster Power HTPC 7000 supplies power to the amps and the rest of my HT stuff

PS Audio P10 Power Regenerator, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Converter and PS Audio Direct Stream DAC added. The P10 supplies power to the pre-amp and smaller electronics. The old MBL cd player does a good job of being a transport to the Direct Stream, augmented by the Wyred 4 Sound Femto Clock.

I was debating between the Lampizator Big 7 vs the PS Audio Direct Stream DAC for a while, but decided to go with the DSDac eventually, even though some who have heard/owned both attest that the Lampi is better (it should at twice the money). Because of the PS Audio's design architecture, based on a field programmable gate array, like the MP64, it is almost future proof. I think Ted Smith did an excellent job in filling the blanks. When JA initially noticed the bass distortion when he bench tested it during his review, Ken Smith fixed the problem by a simple firmware upgrade. The firmware update took the already awesome product (we did not notice much of the distorted bass) to a higher level. I am curious to know how Allnic will respond to JA's not too good frequency response measurements during his review of the D5000, other than saying that they found faulty tubes on the review sample and saying they sold the review unit immediately thereafter. I would still love to compare the DSDac to the L7 one day.

Other new audio related toys, a 1000 wpc stereo amps and other Wyred 4 Sound goodies, but they're mostly out on customer demo, so I will probably include them in my next report. A local customer who own a VR35 love the W4S/VR 35 combination. Ayaw munang isoli hangga't di pa nya natatanggap yun W4S stuff na inorder nya.

I moved MR's GM70 to my second system, the VR35 love more power. unfortunately, kahit ano'ng gawin ko, di ko talaga mapatahimik totally yung tube noise. Not as much with the less sensitive Vr35 compared sa Vr5, but it is still there. It is negligible when the music is playing because it sounds so good, sayang, perfect na sana.

update:
I now have the Wyred 4 Sound stuff. Man, these lightweight and little stuff are heavy hitters and fun to listen to.
Vr35 W4S and Memory Player is a lethal combination

more pics of the main system
pahinga muna ang Trodt GM70

I turned 50 last September and gifted myself with a better portable audio stuff. I started with the Audeze LCD-XC, then got Audio Engine D3 USB Dac (chose the D3 because it does not require any firmware to work with any computer, making it very convenient to move to different systems) and eventually Fiio X5. I was offered Calyx M dealership, but their required minimum stocking level and Calyx dealership in Edmonton by a fellow audiophile and close friend of mine got in the way. We may pursue this together in the future.

anong kabuluhan ng lahat kung walang DIY.. I was too cheap to shell out $50 for a decent headphone stand, so I converted a $15 papertowel holder from Costco to one.

outside audio

I got a lightly used Specialized S Works Enduro Carbon last spring. The original owner was a sponsored pro-athlete who own 7 bikes. I tried many other bikes before finally getting this one, but this felt most comfortable for me. A guy at a local bike shop took my measurements and said I was bordering M/L, but this large frame suited me well. I haven't done any serious off roading with it but proud to report that I biked more (regularly) this year :angel:

we had a hectic but fun summer.. marami kasing bumisita. late last June (after catching up with work after the Europe trip), first to arrive was the family of my cousin Ray who drove all the way from Yakima, Washington. A couple of days later, dumating naman yung oldest sister ko (from the Phils) then kinabukasan dumating din yung other sister ko from Phoenix. Full house ang maliit na Casa Dimfer. Maraming mga festivals at kung ano-ano pa during summer kaya pasyal dito, pasyal doon.

Edmonton, Batangas, Phoenix

ito arranged according to age

with Ray's family

after Ray's family left, nilambing ako ng dalawang kapatid ko na ipasyal ko daw naman sila sa Butchart Garden sa Victoria, BC. it was a fun trip kasi first time namin na lumakad na walang kasamang "asawa", so walang katapusang bonding moments.. until the time I got pulled over by a cop in Valemount, BC nung pauwi na kami sa Edmonton. I think all my speeding karma with the Cayenne caught up with me, buti na lang si Escape ang dala. I was accused of doing 59 over the posted speed limit, impounded ang sasakyan right on the spot. I was actually behaving, ang nakasama lang kadadaldal hindi ko napansin na bumaba na pala ang speed limit from 100 to 70.. in short I was out by $1,600 in speeding ticket, towing, taxi fare, car rental, etc etc. oh well. it was also my first long trip with my wife's 2014 Ford Escape SE.. not quite as exciting as the Cayenne GTS but a nice little SUV (ok car talk na tayo). We now have over 31,000 kms on it and will still highly recommend it. The only similarity between this and the old Escape is the name.. everything else is improved. My only gripe with it - small fuel tank. 50L is just too small for an SUV.

still on cars, I was getting occasional CEL with my Cayenne last summer, good thing I have a Durametric tool to diagnose the issue and reset the annoying check engine light. The pig was running fine, kaya lang nakakainis talaga 'pag lumalabas yung warning. Research at various Porsche enthusiast forums did not give me any definite answer, so I decided to remove the aftermarket cold air intake and reinstalled the original airbox (took me 30 minutes to remove but 3 hours to re-install) then upgraded the standard air filter to K&N's.. ayus, hanggang ngayon di pa ulit nag CEL. I think the CAI was bringing in way too much oxygen causing the imbalance in combustion. It was also time to replace all breakpads and rotors this year, done with the help of a friend - ang suhol "fake viagra" :devil: :devil: We also installed a Sprint Booster, a $300 tweak that's very much worth it's price. Most modern cars does not have does not have drive-by-wire anymore and use electronic control module. Unfortunately ECM's are not as good as the good old wires.. Sprint Booster is your answer. Do it and thank me later :geek: The only tweak I have left to do on the Cayenne is the ECU tune, but am still having trouble to convince myself to fork out $900 to gain 20 hp/30 tq.

Whoever says buying an SUV when you don't even go offroading makes you a poser obviously has not lived in our province. I had lived with cars & minivans and there's no way I will go back to those for my year round daily driver (kung toy car for summer, ok lang). A 26 cm snow dump literally transform our city to a big obstacle course. In the past 4 years, there were 4 accidents involving Filipino overseas foreign worker drivers, killing a total of 15 people. Two of those incidents happened this year, less than a month apart. Yung isa - long-time driver daw sa Pinas, he got his Alberta license on Wednesday, byahe agad, patay by Friday. What do you do when your vehicle suddenly do a 360 while travelling at 120 kph when you hit a black ice patch? SUV's with AWD are less prone.

we also managed to go camping last October. Mainit sa araw, but overnight low around zero, a different kind of experience kasi you have to take into account the environment. Done it many times before, enjoy din

our boss turned 87 this year. he finally realized that he is too old to work and run multiple business interests. He is unloading his remaining business interest in our company/building kaya baon na naman kami sa utang :sweat:

Xmas shop lunch taken on our last day of work (Dec 23), we're on vacation now and will be back to work Jan 4. We were working hard and putting in long hours since September, I decided to give the guys a break and spend more time with their families during the holiday season. Panibagong pakikipagsapalaran na naman sa 2015.

my wife does not want to go anywhere kaya dito lang kami sa Edmonton, masarap din pala ang buhay ng walang ginagawa. we had a very simple Christmas and New Year and did not shop much either. Me and my wife enjoyed the simple pleasure of people watching at the mall.

Xmas present from my wife - I guess she's telling me to bike more this coming summer

In the meantime, diretso parelax muna sa casa dimfer.. hanggang sa uulitin

btw, obviously na stuck si dimfer sa grade 1 pagdating sa photography, buti na lang may anak na natututo ;)
Last edited by dimfer on Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:50 pm, edited 9 times in total.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:59 pm

Bitin!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby dimfer » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:39 am

bosing, nadagdagan na.. pls see post just above yours' 8)

kapitbahay na lang ang 'di ko isinali sa istorya :lol: :lol:
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ttommy » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:12 pm

Thanks for taking the time to write your 2014 recap, Ding, ang dami mo palang proyekto! :geek: Stay safe biking, marami yatang grizzly diyan :lol:

Enjoyed the pics and stories and looking forward to your adventures this year!
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby kabubi » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:47 am

May audio review na, may trvelogue pa. Sulit!

Looking forward to more :)

Wishing you and your family wellness and a healthy cash flow throughout the new year, Ding.
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby rtsyrtsy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:13 pm

Salamat, Ding! Always fun to read about hour journey.

Audio, food, travel, photography--lahat ng hilig ko nasa sang post! Ngayon, may cycling pa.

May you and your family have many more years cobbling up great stories.

I hope to ride then eat, listen then eat, take photos then eat with you someday.

Wishing you a wonderful 2015!
rtsyrtsy

Postby dimfer » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:13 am

thanks Jack, Tito, Buboy & Russ for taking the time to comment, glad you enjoyed it.

Kahit tahimik na dito sa WS, this remains my home pagdating sa audio. I really enjoyed reading about the hobby journeys of what I consider friends that's why I try to share mine here. This site got me started and a lot of friends here helped me along the way.

At saka tumatanda na tayo, minsan nakakalimutan na natin ang mga bagay na nakapagpaligaya sa atin at pinag-aksayahan natin ng panahon :devil: This thread helps me too, although yung ibang details idinadagdag ko na lang to add a personal touch :$ sa audio, cars, food, travel, photography & biking na usual na topics dito.

Bawal yata pag-usapan yung tsiks :lol: , walang nag-kukwento eh
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dimfer » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:44 pm

Magico S1 finally setup and burning in. Currently being driven by Lamm M2.2. Also new in the system is the Yale firmware update for the PS Audio Direct Stream Dac . I should compare USB w/ Uptone Regen Amber vs the I2S connection. The PSA DSD still keep on improving, amazing DAC.

I also intend to try the Aurender X100/X725 Integrated amp combo with the S1 soon, and maybe with the 1000 watts W4S Stereo amps.. Exciting times indeed, kaya lang medyo busy because I am helping my wife setup her new store, panakaw nakaw lang ang audio time.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:39 pm

Congrats Ding. Always nice to read your updates. Happy days are ahead. :clap:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Superman » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:04 pm

Congratulations, Ding! :emo:
Superman
Master Showman

Postby dimfer » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:35 pm

thanks Phil and Jen..

Nice to be playing music on this setup again.. February or March pa yata yung last time. The VR 5 Anni was sounding really good when I pulled it out, I hope to achieve same level of performance with Magico.. and I hope to experience the VR55 magic here as well one day.

I slipped on a small sheet of ice in the parking lot at work last Apr 2 (stupid me, there was a last bit 2' x 2' sheet of ice between 2 cars in a huge parking lot and I stepped on it) which caused me to have a concussion and seizure (as in tirik ang mata at hindi humihinga when my staff found me). I was away from work for only a week, but still suffer energy crash in the afternoon kaya madalas diretso tulog pagdating sa bahay. This kept me from playing around with audio stuff, even our yard and cars don't get the usual care and attention yet. I really had to push myself to setup my Aurender and Magico stuff

.. my wife took over my second system as she is regularly playing music for her auntie who moved in with us last March, good therapy for dementia daw..
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dimfer » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:36 pm

rtsyrtsy wrote:Salamat, Ding! Always fun to read about hour journey.

Audio, food, travel, photography--lahat ng hilig ko nasa sang post! Ngayon, may cycling pa.

May you and your family have many more years cobbling up great stories.

I hope to ride then eat, listen then eat, take photos then eat with you someday.

Wishing you a wonderful 2015!

pwede ba, puro eat na lang muna? you know where to find me Bro
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:02 pm

dimfer wrote:thanks Phil and Jen..

Nice to be playing music on this setup again.. February or March pa yata yung last time. The VR 5 Anni was sounding really good when I pulled it out, I hope to achieve same level of performance with Magico.. and I hope to experience the VR55 magic here as well one day.

I slipped on a small sheet of ice in the parking lot at work last Apr 2 (stupid me, there was a last bit 2' x 2' sheet of ice between 2 cars in a huge parking lot and I stepped on it) which caused me to have a concussion and seizure (as in tirik ang mata at hindi humihinga when my staff found me). I was away from work for only a week, but still suffer energy crash in the afternoon kaya madalas diretso tulog pagdating sa bahay. This kept me from playing around with audio stuff, even our yard and cars don't get the usual care and attention yet. I really had to push myself to setup my Aurender and Magico stuff

Sad to hear your bad fall, Ding. But good to hear you are recovering. May the Music be with you, always. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Members' Audio Set-up