My (Mostly) Best of Japan setup . ..

Post your system set-up here.

Moderator: JackD201

Re: My (formerly budget, now Harbeth) all in one setup

Postby narayan » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:34 pm

rcci wrote:I like that. Saan ba nabibili yan?

+1 moi. Kindly advise naman the source and details of manner and cost of shipping. Thanks and congrats bro. :clap: :envy: :clap:
narayan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby muypogi » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:26 pm

narayan wrote:
rcci wrote:I like that. Saan ba nabibili yan?

+1 moi. Kindly advise naman the source and details of manner and cost of shipping. Thanks and congrats bro. :clap: :envy: :clap:

bought from a shop call hifido. It's a bricks and mortar store chain in Japan which also does a lot of internet business. You can pay via credit card and that would include shipping. Did Japan to HK, then asked a friend who does forwarding to just ship via boat HK to Phils. Or you can do JPY-HK, then use Johnny Air shipping HK to PHILS. Or you can do JPY-PHILs. Guess na lang kayo kung bakit di ko dineretso from Japan. :wasntme:

Eto yug link nung Luxmans nila on sale:

http://www.hifido.co.jp/?lang=E&genre=1 ... 10&price=0

Hehe bigay ko na rin, kasi wala na akong kaagaw sa Lux ko. . . hehe. Daming vintage Altecs and JBLs. Bahala na kayo. . .

Sa mga Horny, eto naman:

muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby tcris » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:33 pm

Its time!...Its time to rush to Marikina...Congrats sir Moi!

Cohen/Luxman diet: 50 lbs off in 4 months + 50 lbs gain in new audio gear = Healthy Living :rock:
tcris
Citizen
Citizen

Postby muypogi » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:31 pm

tcris wrote:Its time!...Its time to rush to Marikina...Congrats sir Moi!

Cohen/Luxman diet: 50 lbs off in 4 months + 50 lbs gain in new audio gear = Healthy Living :rock:

Ayus! :rofl:

Listened to the Luxman's phono section, and IMHO this sounds way superior to the Harbeth setup in last year's audio show, with the L-505u driving the Compact 7. Apologies in advance to sir fld, pero ang ganda nung banat ng L-550 A II sa vinyl. Very musical, yet very detailed. The phono stage digs deeper than any that I have owned before, and that's just with a 20 year old Victor turntable with an AT95E cart! Had a blast listening to Suzanne Vega's acapella of "Tom's Diner" and the side A of Tears for Fear's "Seeds of Love" album. "Woman in Chains" and "Badman's Song" were refreshing to listen to as I was hearing subtle background vocals and instrumentation that I have not heard before, even with my ALAC digital rips. . .

Does run very hot though. That's Class A topology for you I suppose. But the transformer I got from Edrel seems to be doing its job. Amp was hot to the touch, yet the transformer was hardly breaking a sweat. Medyo lukewarm ng konti, but the amp's casing was a lot hotter. Kudos to AT&S for their stepdown transformers. . . :)

Galeng. I may have found a very long pitstop in this audio journey of mine. Harbeth Compact 7 and Luxman are a combo made in heaven. . . ok na. .. :rock:
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby muypogi » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:03 pm

Just to update, some slight modifications on my all in one setup:

Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7-ES3
Analog: Lenco l75 S/16 + Camotecue sandwich plinth + Benz MC Gold cart
Amplification: Luxman L-550 A II Class A amp
Digital: Apple TV Gen 1 500GB + Pioneer BDP-140 universal player (does SACD and 3D Blu-Ray!) + Fostex HP-A7 DAC

Analog playback is still excellent, specially now as the Benz cart is fully broken-in. . . can't wait for project Habanero Red to join the stable . . . p

Taking over from DAC duties is another Japan-only import, a minty Fostex HP-A7 32-bit DAC I bought from my source in Japan. Took a chance, and was quite surprised on the amount to detail even with compressed files. First time I fired it up, I set aside my LPs and listened to some really nice lossless files streamed from my laptop via the Apple TV. DAC + headphone amp + preamp functions . . . too bad it does not get out of Japan too much.

Just sharing. . .. ;)
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby desmo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:04 pm

With a setup like that, all you need now is to collect records. Congrats!
desmo
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:17 pm

Nice system. Congrats and happy listening

Sent from my Desire HD on Tapatalk
mozilla

Postby muypogi » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:04 pm

Thanks guys! Nauubos na nga pera sa software . . . hehe

Btw, for those asking here's the specs of the Fostex DAC:

http://translate.google.com.ph/translat ... d%3Dimvnsl

IN comparison to the Rega DAC I had before, the Fostex is more detailed and presents somewhat higher gain and wider soundstage (I think), without being overly sharp, at least in my system. Rega DAC is warmer though, which may be due to the passive analog output stage vs the amplified one (I think) in the Fostex. No idea whether it up or oversamples, just know that the DAC is the AKM 4392 . . .

Best match I think would be Class A amps or tubed systems. Pero hindi siya manipis tumunog . . . unlike some other "sharp" DACs from China that I've tried.
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: My (Mostly) Best of Japan setup . ..

Postby Superman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:03 pm

Please update. Thanks! :D :D :D :D :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby muypogi » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:55 pm

As requested by a bigtime WS member, my all-in one setup. . . Best of Europe and Japan pa din ;-) with a local flavor.

Wanted to know what the fuss was all about on NOS tubes, so finally broke down and bought a troika . . .

muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Members' Audio Set-up