Audiophile Must Visits, This Time for Singapore

a forum for Pinoydiophiles living outside the Philippines...

Moderator: botching

Audiophile Must Visits, This Time for Singapore

Postby gaol » Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:54 am

Following the lead of rtsy's topic, this time I'd like to ask the same question for Singapore. My wife and I are tentatively set to stay there end of March for several days, en route to the US (corrected). This will also be our first time there, so that probably means I will just have to squeeze quick visits to record shops/audiophile stores in between the usual going around..

Thanks![/b]
Last edited by gaol on Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
gaol
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:25 am

1. Adelphi - in addition, may record shops sa 3rd and/or 4th floor
2. Sim Lim - general electronics and computers
3. Bugis Junction - t-shirts, fake watches, etc.
4. Hooters
5. Sentosa
6. Night Safari
7. Take a train to Johor Baru (Malaysia), for fake VCDs DVDs (note: i never bought fake ones)
8. Take a boat ride to Batam (Indonesia) - cheap resorts
9. Geylang - start at Lorong 18, he he he. Soap will cost you 60 singapore dollars :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Vinyl store at Adelphi

Postby Audio_Tyro » Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:05 am

Hi Gaol,

Drop by at Soundscape & Hifi (#02-44 The Adelphi, 1 Coleman St. Singapore 179803). The owner there is a Pinoy (Joseph "JR" Ramon). He sells vinyl, in addition to other audio gears. His store opens at 1PM.

Be careful at Simlim Square. Many arrogant sales people there, I honestly think that the discounts you can get is NOT worth it! Masisira lang araw mo.
Audio_Tyro
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby gaol » Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:27 am

arnoldc wrote:1. Adelphi - in addition, may record shops sa 3rd and/or 4th floor
2. Sim Lim - general electronics and computers
3. Bugis Junction - t-shirts, fake watches, etc.
4. Hooters
5. Sentosa
6. Night Safari
7. Take a train to Johor Baru (Malaysia), for fake VCDs DVDs (note: i never bought fake ones)
8. Take a boat ride to Batam (Indonesia) - cheap resorts
9. Geylang - start at Lorong 18, he he he. Soap will cost you 60 singapore dollars :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Very informative, pareng arnold! Now, what excuse can I think of to convince my wife to eat at hooters, the good food? :D

We might not have the time to go to Malaysia and Indonesia, since we're going to be there for only 2 nights, 3 days.
gaol
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Vinyl store at Adelphi

Postby gaol » Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:30 am

[quote="Audio_Tyro"]Hi Gaol,

Drop by at Soundscape & Hifi (#02-44 The Adelphi, 1 Coleman St. Singapore 179803). The owner there is a Pinoy (Joseph "JR" Ramon). He sells vinyl, in addition to other audio gears. His store opens at 1PM.
[quote]

Yhanks for reminding me, audio_tyro. I remember his name coming up a some time ago in the pinoydiphiles forum. I'll make it a point to see him at the very least.

GAOL
gaol
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:43 am

Check out www.echoloft.com or www.harmonic-discord.com, one of them is a Singapore-based forum where I read before that a number of hi-fi stores have left Adelphi and set up shop elsewhere.

Check out HMV, Tower Records, and Borders for a dizzying array of CD's, DVD's, etc. They're quite pricey but within 10 minutes of walking in one of these, I grabbed a dozen or so CDs that I've been looking hard for since I was in High School! (e.g., The Alarm's Standadards, Hall & Oates Looking Back--was hard to find before). But be warned: leave your credit cards at the hotel and set a fixed time (e.g., 30 minutes) inside each store. You may not be able to carry what you can buy w/ a credit card or >30minutes in one of these stores! :P

Must eats:

1--Garlic Nan and Satay at Lao Pa Sat (I heard they are closing Hawker Centers in favor of cleaner and air-conditioned foodcourts. Blech.)

2--Buttered Prawns at Clarke Quay

3--Pepper Crab, BBQ Stingray at Jumbo Seafood

4--Fish Head Curry at Banana Leaf Apollo in Little India

5--Hainanese Chicken Rice at Mandarin Orchard

6--Dimsum Lunch Buffet at Goodwood Park

7--Duck Rice at Novena

8--If you must eat in a food court, check out the one at the basement of Takashimaya.

If you are not sure what to order in foodcourts/hawker centers, line up at the stalls with the longest queue!

My problem in Singapore has always been too few meals that I can take in a trip!

Curious, you stop over at Singapore ne route to the U.S.? Did you do that on purpose to see Singapore or is that a new stopover point of newer routes to the U.S.?
rtsyrtsy

Postby arnoldc » Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:49 am

libre chicken wings? libre chicken wings namin pag nandun kami, part of happy hour ata...

gaol wrote:Very informative, pareng arnold! Now, what excuse can I think of to convince my wife to eat at hooters, the good food? :D
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby gaol » Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:58 am

arnoldc wrote:libre chicken wings? libre chicken wings namin pag nandun kami, part of happy hour ata...

Ayos! Favorite pa naman niya chicken wings, tipid pa. Ako naman I've always been a breast person --- chicken breast, ha!

:roll:
gaol
Citizen
Citizen

Postby gaol » Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:10 pm

rtsyrtsy wrote:Check out HMV, Tower Records, and Borders for a dizzying array of CD's, DVD's, etc. They're quite pricey but within 10 minutes of walking in one of these, I grabbed a dozen or so CDs that I've been looking hard for since I was in High School! (e.g., The Alarm's Standadards, Hall & Oates Looking Back--was hard to find before). But be warned: leave your credit cards at the hotel and set a fixed time (e.g., 30 minutes) inside each store. You may not be able to carry what you can buy w/ a credit card or >30minutes in one of these stores! :P

Thanks, consider me forewarned!

rtsyrtsy wrote:
Must eats:

1--Garlic Nan and Satay at Lao Pa Sat (I heard they are closing Hawker Centers in favor of cleaner and air-conditioned foodcourts. Blech.)

2--Buttered Prawns at Clarke Quay

3--Pepper Crab, BBQ Stingray at Jumbo Seafood

4--Fish Head Curry at Banana Leaf Apollo in Little India

5--Hainanese Chicken Rice at Mandarin Orchard

6--Dimsum Lunch Buffet at Goodwood Park

7--Duck Rice at Novena

8--If you must eat in a food court, check out the one at the basement of Takashimaya.

Katakam-takam! Buti na lang nag-lunch na ako., hehe

rtsyrtsy wrote:Curious, you stop over at Singapore ne route to the U.S.? Did you do that on purpose to see Singapore or is that a new stopover point of newer routes to the U.S.?

It's a promo by Singapore Airlines. Go the US via Singapore and you get the chance to extend your stay in Singapore by a night or two to see the sights, "Stopover Holiday Promo" they call it. The discounted US round trip fare costs plus 2nights 3days in Sing, amounted to only US$760 exclusive of taxes.

Our original plans for this summer was really just the US, but this was too good to pass up so we signed up for this at the Travel Fair two weekends ago at Mega. SIA has a similar ongoing promo, US via Sing+1night stay at Sing, for US$798, plus a free Nokia 3530 under Globe Prepaid promo.....
gaol
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:13 pm

@gaol, if you're a breast person, you'll be dissapointed as Singapore Hooters has the smallest breasts in all of Hooters worldwide... not the chicken breast :twisted:
Last edited by arnoldc on Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby rtsyrtsy » Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:45 pm

Yes, the "oo" in Hooters Singapore is promounced in a very high-pitched manner.
rtsyrtsy

Re: Vinyl store at Adelphi

Postby JR » Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:56 am

gaol wrote:Yhanks for reminding me, audio_tyro. I remember his name coming up a some time ago in the pinoydiphiles forum. I'll make it a point to see him at the very least.
GAOL

Gaol, you're welcome to drop by anytime :D We open from 1 to 7:30, Mon to Sat. Sat is the busiest day.
JR

Postby rtsyrtsy » Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:21 am

Glad to have you here on Wiredstate, JR.
Pinoydiophiles missed you. :)
rtsyrtsy

Satay!!!

Postby dogears » Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:28 pm

Gaol, try satay somewhere in Marina bay [hirap ng tumatanda]! And of course, don't forget the CHICKEN RICE with the soya sauce or chili sauce! Tuloy ba kayo sa US?

rtsyrtsy, when i was working in SG, banned ang The Alarm dun so I had to ask my friend [selling CDs] to get them from US for me... now I do have the Standards and Electric Folklore Live, the latter I recommend if you are a fan of the group 8)
dogears
Master
Master

Postby edwin » Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:46 pm

If you want to, I could show you around in Singapore. Just give me the date of your arrival so that i could see if I'm free on those days. You could also give me a call on my handphone @ 91459680.

Any plan of buying audio stuffs. By the time you arrive, this used Sonus Faber Signum selling for Php 60,000 could still be around.

Edwin
edwin
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JR » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:49 am

rtsyrtsy wrote:Glad to have you here on Wiredstate, JR.
Pinoydiophiles missed you. :)

JR

Postby gaol » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:47 am

JR wrote:Gaol, you're welcome to drop by anytime :D We open from 1 to 7:30, Mon to Sat. Sat is the busiest day.

edwin wrote:If you want to, I could show you around in Singapore. Just give me the date of your arrival so that i could see if I'm free on those days. You could also give me a call on my handphone @ 91459680.

Any plan of buying audio stuffs. By the time you arrive, this used Sonus Faber Signum selling for Php 60,000 could still be around.

Edwin

Thanks, JR and Edwin for the invites!

My wife and I will be there for only a few days: we arrive at around noon of the the 29th (Sat) and leave Monday late afternoon, the 31st. I don't think that's not enough time to really go around, but I'll try squeeze a quick visit to your shop JR on Saturday afternoon. I know it's the busiest time so don't mind me I can just listen to whatever your customers are auditioning.

No plans though on buying any audio stuff (really), so I guess the Signum is safe (or is it the other way around :lol:).

I don't want to impose on your schedule Edwin, but it would be nice to know that I can call on a kababayan just in case.

dogears wrote:Tuloy ba kayo sa US?

As to to the US leg, it was a lot iffy lately. But then we thought that we've been planning and postponing this for quite a while now, so we figure we will always find a reason not to go. Besides, my wife's sister (in LA) is giving birth and her parents have already gone ahead. So it's a go, unless the warmongers in the White House upset everything.

GAOL
gaol
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ambel » Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:22 am

Gaol,

When you are in LA give me buzz.

Erik,
ambel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:06 pm

Outside of Adelphi and Sim Lim, any other audiophile must visit?
rtsyrtsy

Postby JR » Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:19 pm

rtsyrtsy wrote:Outside of Adelphi and Sim Lim, any other audiophile must visit?

Here are some:

Concorde Hotel - shopping center houses High-End Research - Wilson Audio, Sonus Faber (maybe they have a Signum stashed somewhere), Electrocompaniet, Audio Research, Pass Labs, Halcro, VPI, Basis, etc. and new audiophile vinyl

Absolute Sound - found at Singapore Shopping Center, 4th floor - Naim, Genesis, FM Acoustics, Wadia, Roksan, Magneplanar, Creek, Snell, Epos, WBT, etc.

Atlas HiFi - Plaza Singapura shopping center - selling Kimber, and Bose ! Listen to one of the best-sounding Bose showrooms in the world, several specially-designed demo rooms. If you're not a seasoned audiophile, you might be convinced to buy one. Excellent salesmen and demonstrations, many awards from Bose as top selling retailer. Next door is another of their showrroms to showcase Loewe TV, huge showroom with expensive TVs that are not even flat !

Others have been scattered into far-flung areas where not many really go to, isolated - Proac dealer, Thiel, Korsun, and other Chinese-made products.
JR

Next

Return to Pinoydiophiles@Overseas