HI Fi Show in Singapore (November 16-18)

a forum for Pinoydiophiles living outside the Philippines...

Moderator: botching

HI Fi Show in Singapore (November 16-18)

Postby santiago » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:42 pm

Dear All,

Just wanted to let everyone know that Singapore will host its annual hi fi show this weekend starting Friday. For those that may be in town, check out the show at the Le Meridian Hotel which is off Orchard Road. A participating dealer told me today that there will be a big vinyl sale and a lot of analog stuff on the show (e.g. turntables, phonostages and cartridges!!).

For vinyl lovers, this could be the year!

See you there
santiago
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SoLiDtUbEs » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:31 am

Hi santiago

Hope you can post some pictures of the event.

tia
-S-
SoLiDtUbEs
Citizen
Citizen

HI Fi Show in Singapore

Postby santiago » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:40 pm

Hi-

Sorry was not prepared with cameras for the event. Got caught in a traffic jam Friday from Johor Bahru and was only able to spend 2-3 hours in the show. Well participated with over 40 dealers. Offerings ranged from clearance sale of affordable gear (50% off) all up to aspirational gear such as the ARC 610T matched with the Sonus Faber Elipsa. The key events that caught my real attention were less known trademark names but in my opinion delivered the best sound:

1) Continuum Labs

They introduced their Critereon turntable which is half the price of their reference Caluburn line. While half the price, it is still very pricey at US$50k plus. The designer explained the technologies that went into it to include anti resonance software for the Cobra tonearm, a special molding process for the platter and many other technological advancements that seem like coming from a NASA lab.

The turntable was connected to Einstein Audio's new pre-amps, phono stage and monoblocks. Speakers were from Tidal. The sound was awesome and perhaps the best in the show....The crowd stayed mesmerized for almost one hour listening to music from Gene Simmons, Dire Straits, AC/DC before the designer gave his dog and pony show.

I am hoping Continuum produces lower priced tables in the future and that would benefit from trickle down technology.

The CEO of this company is looking for a distributor in the Philippines. He told me that they have been rather successful in selling these turntables in Indonesia.

2) Audio Space

To my surprise, this Chinese/HK based audio outfit has produced fantastic tubed preamps and SET monoblocks using 300B, 845 and 6sn7 tubes. They sounded like hybrids and did so well with speakers from Focus Audio of Canada. The crowd stayed quite long as sound was non-fatiguing and very inviting. Spoke to the designer who used the Cary 805C as his benchmark and which he used as as basis for improving design, sound and features to include elimination of power transformers.

Very impressive at reasonable price points. The Focus speakers were also like musical instruments! The system also used the famous anticables which is only selling for US$100!

3) Airtight monoblocks matched with a German botique analog turntable and Avantgarde horn speakers....What can I say?

4) For affordable gear, I was most impressed with an integrated tubed amp from Leben matched with speakers from Totem. The whole system, including the CD player from T&A (I think?) was well within US$10k.

5) Shindo handmade tube amplifiers......Must be he Koetsu of electronics. This might be the next thing in my aspirational list.

The rest of the show included well known names such as Dynaudio (introduced the sapphire series), Mcintosh, Lamm, Wilson, etc....

Vinyls were good with many Japanese pressings. Good Buy one take one deals as well.

That was it....
santiago
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SoLiDtUbEs » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:08 pm

The turntable was connected to Einstein Audio's new pre-amps, phono stage and monoblocks. Speakers were from Tidal. The sound was awesome and perhaps the best in the show....The crowd stayed mesmerized for almost one hour listening to music from Gene Simmons, Dire Straits, AC/DC before the designer gave his dog and pony show.

:shock: thanks for the info it was just like being there!
SoLiDtUbEs
Citizen
Citizen

Website for Singapore Hi-fi show

Postby Back in Black » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:12 pm

Hi,

Would there be a special website for the Sing hif-i show. Sorry for the simple question, still new on this site.
Back in Black

Return to Pinoydiophiles@Overseas