Any Tips for Los Angeles, CA?

a forum for Pinoydiophiles living outside the Philippines...

Moderator: botching

Any Tips for Los Angeles, CA?

Postby rtsyrtsy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:39 pm

I'll be in L.A. for a week beginning Halloween.

What are the must go to places for:

-Audiophiles (especially software and good used tube stuff)

-Foodies (I prefer cheerful locals' favorites over Michelin 5 star places)

-Shutterbugs (reliable used Nikkors, and of course shooting travel photos)

-Tech Geeks (I'm still in the market for a Core2Duo laptop w/ dedicated graphics, a GPS device would be nice too)

-Dads (my wife gave me a long list of stuff to get from Gap / Old Nay outlets)

-Re: Gap / Old Navy, yes, Ttommy, the stuff I picked up in NYC for them weren't enough! BTW, I'll be flying through NYC...but I'm still arranging to spend at least a day there, snowball's chance in hell but soup dumplings and pulled pig are worth all the effort!

Cheers!
rtsyrtsy

Re: Any Tips for Los Angeles, CA?

Postby amandarae » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:09 pm

rtsyrtsy wrote:I'll be in L.A. for a week beginning Halloween.

What are the must go to places for:

-Audiophiles (especially software and good used tube stuff)

-Foodies (I prefer cheerful locals' favorites over Michelin 5 star places)

-Shutterbugs (reliable used Nikkors, and of course shooting travel photos)

-Tech Geeks (I'm still in the market for a Core2Duo laptop w/ dedicated graphics, a GPS device would be nice too)

-Dads (my wife gave me a long list of stuff to get from Gap / Old Nay outlets)

-Re: Gap / Old Navy, yes, Ttommy, the stuff I picked up in NYC for them weren't enough! BTW, I'll be flying through NYC...but I'm still arranging to spend at least a day there, snowball's chance in hell but soup dumplings and pulled pig are worth all the effort!

Cheers!

Audiophiles - Amoeba along Sunset Blvd. in North Holywood (two blocks after Sunset and Vine St.) . For a Mom and Pop type, try Atomic Records in Burbank along Magnolia St.

Tubes - Nothing there! The closest will be Upscale Audio in Upland, CA. About 1 1/2 hours from downtown L.A. if traffic permits

Food - Long Beach Board Walk (surf or surf and turf foods), Santa Monica Board Walk. When you are in L.A. it would not be a problem finding good restaurants.

Tech Geeks - Ask your concierge if you are staying in a hotel about Fry's Electronics. The branches close to you should be in Burbank, Woodland Hills, and Manhattan Beach. If you decide to hit the store around Sunday or Monday, buy the local paper on Sunday(LA Times). At the back of the Sports Section are advertised specials and coupons in the store. You will save a lot with this depending on what you need.
My suggestion, when you are in the store is to buy a TomTom (Mobile GPS ) and use it for several days if you are only staying for a short time. You can return it before 30 days as long as you have the receipt, no question ask. It will make it easier for you to navigate the city. If you want a particular restaurant (any kind) just type the kind of food you are craving for and it will give you a list of what is accessible to you as well as how to get there from where you're at of course.

Gap/Old Navy - Not a problem! Most malls have them. Inquire to the receptionist in the hotel lobby. Just ask for a mall, they are everywhere! But of course there's always Rodeo Drive! :D
If you want an outlet where there's a lot of nice shops (Gap, Banana Republic, Lucky, Lacoste, Polo, Versace, Coach, etc.) at real outlet price, you have to drive a bit to Camarillo. This is about an an hour/hour and a half away from Burbank taking 101 North all the way until you pass the City of Thousand Oaks. After you finished descending the mountains, it is on your left side about five miles away. You will not miss it.

Hope this helps you a bit.....

Oops...forgot to add, since you have your laptop with you, you can easily look up the numbers for the stores and such...
amandarae
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Bedroom Eyes » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:13 pm

Asisde from the tips of Amandarae, IHJ will be there too on the same time frame 8) Just hook up with him for add'l info on audio hard/soft wares 8)
Bedroom Eyes
Master
Master

Postby alexg » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:18 pm

Try a place in Century City called 20/20 (you would know why they call the place 20/20 after you have been there, lunch and drinks are ok at that place). :twisted:

Try the comedy club along Olympic Blvd in Santa Monica (near Barrington St.)

Don't miss Barney's Beanery along Sunset Blvd.

Try the drive from Santa Monica to Malibu Beach (along highway 1) there are nice restaurants along the way, try Malibu Inn, their Buffalo Wings are to die for.

Try Liquid Kitty (a nice trendy bar) along Olympic Blvd., in Santa Monica.

Don't miss driving at Sunset Blvd and Wilshire Blvd. at night (imagine yourself being Hugh Grant) :twisted:

Malls, try Beverly Center, Glendale Galeria, there is also a mall in Pico Avenue in West Los Angeles, and Santa Monica Mall.

Try having a stroll in Santa Monica near the beach, there are a few nice Mexican restaurants in the area.

Also go to the "Muscle Beach."

There is a very famous hotdog stand in LA (almost near downtown), 3rd street.

If you really wanted to tour the home of the stars, try a half day guided bus tour around Beverly Hills.

And if you happen to miss Filipino food, try Max's located in Wilshire Blvd., almost near downtown LA.
alexg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby qguy » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:55 am

kita mo naman ang prioritization...

unang una and Audiophile places :twisted:
qguy
Master
Master

Postby rtsyrtsy » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:35 pm

Thanks a lot for the tips.

My meetings sked in L.A. is piling up and I'm starting to have doubts I'd be able to do 10% of what I wanted but what the heck...I'll just have to enjoy.

Thanks again!
rtsyrtsy

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:53 pm

Ameoba Hollywood 8)
6400 Sunset Blvd.

m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby manilaman » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:58 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:Ameoba Hollywood 8)
6400 Sunset Blvd.

Good suggestion MSM, Audiophiles WET Dream! They also have another branch in SFO. Vinyl in the bottom of the table are dirt cheap and get more expensive as it climbs up the wall, where you may need assistance to reach and open them for inspection. :D :D
manilaman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:05 pm

Yeah, the ones at the bottom of the shelves are $1 each, or buy 3 get 1 for free. :D That's 75c a piece in "G" to even "VG" condition. 8)
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby Oldfogey » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:09 pm

Russ, catch the Rolling Stones on the 5th of Nov. at McAfee stadium. Get your tickets online NOW! Forget CD or vinyl, this is the real thing! :D

of
Oldfogey

Postby manilaman » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:13 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:Yeah, the ones at the bottom of the shelves are $1 each, or buy 3 get 1 for free. :D That's 75c a piece in "G" to even "VG" condition. 8)

Sunset has better collection than SFO, so you just know. Its beside the CNN GHQ in LA.

AMOEBA MUSIC - LP'S CD'S TAPES DVDS VIDEOS POSTERS
SFO, 1855 Haight St. tel# 415 8311200
Hollywood, 6400 Sunset Blvd TEl# 323 2456400
Berkeley, 2455 Telegraph Ave. Tel# 510 5491125
manilaman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby alexg » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:24 pm

manilaman wrote:AMOEBA MUSIC - LP'S CD'S TAPES DVDS VIDEOS POSTERS
Berkeley, 2455 Telegraph Ave. Tel# 510 5491125

The old Telegraph Ave., hippie hangout while I was taking my Masters at UC Berkeley...

This is the place where there is a lot of used LP stores during the late 70s early 80s. Our group of Filipino students used to frequent this place to purchase used LP's (we were living on Phil. govt. scholarship allowance, you have to sacrifice a few meals just to buy LPs that you want.... :lol: )
alexg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sinar » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:18 pm

for brand new/used cameras, check out samy's camera. google nalang their website for address and phone numbers. they're reliable.
sinar
Citizen
Citizen

Postby manilaman » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:46 pm

sinar wrote:for brand new/used cameras, check out samy's camera. google nalang their website for address and phone numbers. they're reliable.

http://www.samys.com/contact.php?PHPSES ... 395696b0d8

here's the link, grabe, 5 floors of nothing but gastos!!!
manilaman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby sinar » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:45 pm

thanks derek :)
sinar
Citizen
Citizen

Return to Pinoydiophiles@Overseas