Hi-Fi must-visits in Seoul

a forum for Pinoydiophiles living outside the Philippines...

Moderator: botching

Hi-Fi must-visits in Seoul

Postby v0elker » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:14 pm

what hifi shops in seoul are worth looking into? are there any good buys to be had in seoul? thanks!
v0elker
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:41 pm

well, i don't want to be a killjoy, but when i was there (three times) communication was a pain. we were given the pointed finger (not the dirty) to get out of the cab numerous times because we can't understand each other. my colleague said "Army" and he was brought to "Amway."

there's an electronic plaza like those found in Akihibara in Japan, but all the signs in Korean and nobody to ask, i was not able to get there.

damn, even the phonecard instructions is Korean and telephone prompts in Korean (no English option, except those in the airport).

for mobile communication, Korea is CDMA, just like Japan. i normally use Smart Communication's satellite phone ACeS or if you're a member of Skypass, you get a free Windows-powered phone at the arrival area.

learn Korean first, and you'll find your way ;)

i'm sorry if you knew all these things already...
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby v0elker » Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:27 am

thanks for the heads-up arnoldc... so i guess korea's about as tourist-friendly as japan, hehehe. sigh, i wasnt looking forward to the business side of the trip, now it seems ive got nothing to look fwd to on the fun side as well...

hmmm, i better think of an excuse so i can pass by hk or sing on my way back, hehehe

thanks!

btw, what's this skypass thing? is it like a club or something?

arnoldc wrote:well, i don't want to be a killjoy, but when i was there (three times) communication was a pain. we were given the pointed finger (not the dirty) to get out of the cab numerous times because we can't understand each other. my colleague said "Army" and he was brought to "Amway."

there's an electronic plaza like those found in Akihibara in Japan, but all the signs in Korean and nobody to ask, i was not able to get there.

damn, even the phonecard instructions is Korean and telephone prompts in Korean (no English option, except those in the airport).

for mobile communication, Korea is CDMA, just like Japan. i normally use Smart Communication's satellite phone ACeS or if you're a member of Skypass, you get a free Windows-powered phone at the arrival area.

learn Korean first, and you'll find your way ;)

i'm sorry if you knew all these things already...
v0elker
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:32 am

SKYPASS is their mileage program, like KrisFlyer, AsiaMiles, etc. apply online (www.koreanair.com) get the membership number and rent the phone for free. you pay for the call charges but they're not exhuberant. i hope it was not a promo when i got it.

you can have lotsa fun in korea if you have a korean friend. by the way, we were able to go to this place where leather goods are sold for a bargain.

when taking a cab, have your destination written in korean already.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby dogears » Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:28 am

RA, Goodluck!!! :P err, how do you say that in Korean? :lol:
dogears
Master
Master

Helpful Korean Phrases...

Postby rtsyrtsy » Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:43 am

Kalbi-chim: succulent beef ribs simmered to tenderness in sweet soy sauce. The sauce alone will let you finish 1 bowl of sticky rice.

Jap-chae: glass noodles (made from potatoes I think) with tasty veggies and slices of meat. Don't scrimp. Get one order for everyone on the table so you don't fight.

Bulgogi: traditional Korean barbeque with choice of chicken, beef, and pork. Maybe they have more exotic meets in Korea.

When you find the translation, please post the Korean names of:

1--Spicy Chicken
2--Spicy Squid
3--Ginseng Chicken

:wink:
rtsyrtsy

Postby v0elker » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:18 am

arnoldc: thanks sir, try ko yang skypass, kahit pang-emergency lang. hmmm, so i guess kelangan namin maghatak ng korean colleagues, kala ko pa naman pwede kami mag-explore on our own, hehehe

dogears: thanks mate! hanap ko yung titles mo don. will let u know pag maraming silang dvda's don. :-D

rtsy: hehehe, ginutom ako sa post nyo sir. try ko lahat ng sinabi nyo, yumyum! kunin ko rin translation nung iba. :-D

thanks guys!
v0elker
Citizen
Citizen

Return to Pinoydiophiles@Overseas