Revox G36 tape recorder

Eico, Fisher, Bogen, Magnavox, Scott, Heathkit, Sherwood, etc...

Revox G36 tape recorder

Postby endrik35 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi guys, I need your help and advice. My uncle Eni from the UK(same guy who gave me his B&W 801 speaker) has sent me an e-mail and here it is. . .

10 Nov 2011

Hi Endrik,

Are you interested in acquiring a top-of- the- line Revox Stereo Model G36? The unit was made in Regensburg, Zurich, Switzerland by Willi Studer, 117 volts, 60 cycles, 120 watts. I am sending you some photos or you can go to www.reeltoreel.de/worldwide/G36.htm , then click “Back to the 36’s series” at the bottom of the page, see model Revox G36 and click the G36 Photo Gallery.

History:

The unit was given to me 20 years ago from the States by Benjamin Palma Gil, (then PNB EVP and eventually PNB President). It needed some repair so I forwarded it to the official repair outlet for Revox in London for evaluation and cost estimate. As it turned out, repair was possible but quite expensive as it needed 2 vacuum tubes that were not available locally at that time. One is a Philips MINIVA ECL8. I cannot identify the other one as it is enclosed in a heat dispersal jacket (see attached photos). The decision at that time was just to keep the unit in London until further notice, considering that the G36 is very heavy, weighing at least 20 kilos.

Proposition:

First, find out if the unit can be repaired in the Philippines. If affirmative, I will let you have it, gratis, subject to the following conditions:

· Cost of shipping amounting to Pounds 30 (PhP 2,100) shall be for your account;

Imagine, a Revox G36 for Pesos 2,100 plus cost of repairs!

Email to me your decision…

Link re: Revox G36
http://www.reeltoreel.de/worldwide/G36.htm

Here are the actual pics:

I still have a collection of open reel music tapes amounting to around 30+(given to me by my mentor, Dr. Teodoro Nuguid :))

Here are the tube complements inside the revox:
4 x ECC 81, 1 x ECC 82, 5 x ECC 83, 2 x ECL 86, 1 x EM 801,
3 diodes, 3 selenium rectifiers

Are these tubes still available? Is the unit worthy of repair? I'm worrying about the cost of repair just in case. Christmastime is around the corner and I'm almost bankrupt. . . :(

Any advice will be deeply appreciated. Thanks WS! :D
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Revox G36 tape recorder

Postby endrik35 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:29 pm

If the repair cost is prohibitive, maybe I can just ask someone to fabricate an acrylic casing and make this a musical historical display in my music room! :^) Ang ganda eh! :)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jamants » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:56 pm

Yeah Endrik! think of it as buying art for P2,100. It doesn't matter if it doesn't work, it's beautiful.
jamants
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby carbondated » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:59 pm

Just curious, how much did they quote you for repair in the UK? Was it Brian Reeves?
carbondated
Citizen
Citizen

Postby endrik35 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:10 am

carbondated wrote:Just curious, how much did they quote you for repair in the UK? Was it Brian Reeves?

Yes it was Brian Reeves. He's in charge of the authorized Revox repair in Cheshire UK. Are you based in the UK? I have no idea re: repair estimate since it was my uncle who brought it to Cheshire. I'm wary of the tube complements and the PRICE :tmi: . I think what my uncle identified as phliips miniva ia actualy a phillips miniwatt tube. Thanks for the reply though. Cheers :)
Last edited by endrik35 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby carbondated » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:21 am

Yes, if someone can do it back home it would be much cheaper, and also much better because even if it gets fixed something could break later on, and you want someone nearby who can fix it! But it's a really handsome tape recorder. Good luck and cheers to whoever can get it up and running! ;)
carbondated
Citizen
Citizen

Postby joejet » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:02 am

Just a piece of unsolicited advice..

Weather it can be repaired here or not, GET IT BRO....

Its an audio treasure!!!!!!!!!
joejet
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Mamimili » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:09 pm

If you think vinyl sounds good wait till you hear tape!
You woud not regret getting this, and if you did just post it.

Just in case.....Please reserve
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby endrik35 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:32 pm

Jay, your right! It's definitely a work of art and I barely slept last night just thinking about it! ;)
Joejet, its definitely an audio treasure and you have a point there! :)
Paul, you are right. I grew up dancing to the tunes from an open reel deck aside from vinyl and I must say that the sound is as analog if not better than vinly(playing through an old akai open reel deck which I dont think has tubes in it. This is a 1966 Revox made by the old man himself,Willi Studer and just the nostalgia of having one of his creations,working or not is such a sweet deal for the price of 2,100 php! :) All your advices are deeply appreciated and I hope some of our master technicians here at WS will heed my call of helping revive this beautiful piece of audio history. . .Thanks guys! ;)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby superwup » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:20 pm

You could ask per email advice from this webpage.

http://www.drtube.com/
superwup
Citizen
Citizen

Postby endrik35 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:30 pm

superwup wrote:You could ask per email advice from this webpage.

http://www.drtube.com/

Thanks for the link Sir Superwup! :)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby kabubi » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:43 am

pangit yan Dok, malaki pa ang gagastusin sa pagpapaayos niyan. then there's the problem of getting reel tape material: sourcing\, shipping, bidding, etc. malaking problema talaga.

bigay mo nalang sa akin.
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby endrik35 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:15 am

kabubi wrote:pangit yan Dok, malaki pa ang gagastusin sa pagpapaayos niyan. then there's the problem of getting reel tape material: sourcing\, shipping, bidding, etc. malaking problema talaga.

bigay mo nalang sa akin.

Buboy, oo nga no! Why didn't I think of that! :tmi:
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby hypertriode » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:20 am

endrik35 wrote:All your advices are deeply appreciated and I hope some of our master technicians here at WS will heed my call of helping revive this beautiful piece of audio history. . .Thanks guys! ;)

I also have one like this in sick bay Doc; a real PITA to fix. As long as the problem is electronic lang and not on the transport section may pag-asa, or else you have to get another one just for parts. I'll let you know if there's progress :-)
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby endrik35 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:46 am

hypertriode wrote:
endrik35 wrote:All your advices are deeply appreciated and I hope some of our master technicians here at WS will heed my call of helping revive this beautiful piece of audio history. . .Thanks guys! ;)

I also have one like this in sick bay Doc; a real PITA to fix. As long as the problem is electronic lang and not on the transport section may pag-asa, or else you have to get another one just for parts. I'll let you know if there's progress :-)

I know what you mean Rene. Thanks buddy! ;) I want to restore this partly due to nostalgia and more so for sentimental reasons. When Dr. Teodoro P. Nuguid(colorectal surgeon) gave me his entire music collection of open reel tapes, the recording of the interview during his application for colorectal training in Philiadelphia in the late 50's was included. He also gave me his Akai open reel deck which unfortunately was stolen during transfer to our new house. Dr. Nuguid's musical interest, as reflected by his music selection was expansive to say the least. From Led Zepellin to Johnny Mathis to Eddie Peregrina ;) . I know deep in my heart that someday, we will have a testimonial and celebration of his famous life as a colorectal surgeon and I'm sure I'm going to bring out those interview tapes and let the other surgeons hear and catch a glimpse of the great surgeon from Orani, Bataan using the Revox G36 tape deck. . . :)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby kabubi » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:37 pm

endrik35 wrote:
kabubi wrote:pangit yan Dok, malaki pa ang gagastusin sa pagpapaayos niyan. then there's the problem of getting reel tape material: sourcing\, shipping, bidding, etc. malaking problema talaga.

bigay mo nalang sa akin.

Just kidding, Doc. it's a WS tradition when one lucks out like you on certain gear that is worth owning, or when one hits the jackpot. consider it more of envy on my part, lest i be misconstrued.

what a great Christmas gift to yourself.
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby endrik35 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:30 pm

kabubi wrote:
endrik35 wrote:

bigay mo nalang sa akin.

Just kidding, Doc. it's a WS tradition when one lucks out like you on certain gear that is worth owning, or when one hits the jackpot. consider it more of envy on my part, lest i be misconstrued.

what a great Christmas gift to yourself.

Of course I knew that your only tickling my fancy buboy! Im tickling your fancy too!;-) good news is that my uncle just e-mailed me and told me that the unit is working just fine except for the 2 tubes which needs to be replaced. . :-)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby endrik35 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:35 pm

Guys, after learning that only 2 tubes needs to be replaced and that the unit has no mechanical flaws,I've decided to grab the opportunity and e-mailed my uncle immediately. To cut the story short, he's shipping it to Manila on the 17th. Special thanks to Sir Paul and Buboy for helping me decide to get the revox. I read a thread in lenco heaven exulting the virtues of open reel decks against vinyl and I know that may it be vinyl or open reel, "analogue rules! ;) Thanks to all who replied and Godbless! ;)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby endrik35 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:55 pm

Are open reel tape decks on a comeback? Found this pic of a beautifuly restored Technics open reel and I can't help imagine pairing it with the golden Technics Sl-1200 mk5 gld. . . :^)

Image ++++
Image :clap: :clap: :clap:

CONGRATS Noly on your new Sony open reel tape deck! Beautiful!
Padinig ha? ;)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby TheAnalogSource » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:58 pm

tsur....im very happy....ang layo sa lp....wala pang 10 seconds audition....the very first thing that impressed me is the very wide dynamic range...mapapahiya mga audiophile records hahaha
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Next

Return to VINTAGE GEAR