lucky night...

vintage and modern toys of the old dog :-)

Moderator: vintage_dog

lucky night...

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:24 pm

.the crakling/hissing noise on the right channel of the pv11 is gone! :)
..the auricaps on my cdp have now fully burned-in, sound is lush :)
...new parts on the newly restored modulus have likewise burned-in fully -, sound is very open with slight sibilance now gone :)

must be the stars favoring audio listening tonight, all gear are playing nicely, musically... :D
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ichabod » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:33 pm

Had one too VD. I hooked the sherwood 5000 II last night, and wow I was floored by this amp. Got them going with a pair of studio 3 Rogers, and this sucker sounds incredible. I can emphatize with you. Music is up in the air, and what I hear is clearer presentation of perpectives like nothing is being added or taken to the sound NOR were any of the frequency bands duly emphasized like it's being hyped. Better realism or could it be just the stars?

I've seen some sherwoods in your stable. Would you mine trying any of them too?
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:06 pm

i have 2 of the sherwood 5000...they have exactly the same faceplate, same chassis. one takes 7868 (same tubes as the fisher 400) tubes, the other 7591. been 2 years since i last fired-up one of them...hmmm, maybe i should try them soon...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:07 pm

i have 2 of the sherwood 5000...they have exactly the same faceplate, same chassis. one takes 7868 (same tubes as the fisher 400) tubes, the other 7591. been 2 years since i last fired-up one of them...hmmm, maybe i should try them soon...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ichabod » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:20 am

We have exactly the same sherwoods. I've got the 7868 at 80wpc, and another with lesser watts using 7591s, the 5500 model. Both are spankingly shiny and clean specially the faceplates. Sherwood I heard and read were hi tech engineers of their time. I can see from the sound how they can match closely the wave adulation of real music. What I notice most with the sherwood sound is the "air" around the instruments. It translates to getting a more realistic tone with the air around which the instruments are played. Ala concert hall effect from where one sits I guess. They're not too vintage sounding either, more like ss with a tube flavor. Nice to have revisited the sherwood sound. A sleeper amp still but a real keeper I think. Definitely, another vintage amp that has won my heart VD.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to / VD's doghouse \