Oh no! a Clearaudio!

vintage and modern toys of the old dog :-)

Moderator: vintage_dog

Oh no! a Clearaudio!

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:19 pm

it's no secret. i've not been a fan of clearaudio...perhaps it was my (brief and biased) listening impressions from set-up of friends....or perhaps my preference for equipment as old as i am (vintage) and my view that anything that looks like a spacecraft must sound out of this world... :lol:

the past 2 years, i've spent less time on my analog listening - a few reasons: most of my LPs still in boxes since i moved, more time to set-up, no patience cleaning records, less than ideal phonostages, and potentially a higher investment still for the high-end analog sound.

i continue to read about the new tonearms, tables and cartridges out there. good MCs are at least $1000. on tonearms, am also not too interested in linear tracking devices, and the only other alternate design was the unipivot. simple, yet logical. if properly executed, it can make some real music. well, mandy's kamagong tonearm was unipivot too and worked very well.... :)

then...

totally unplanned, but a friend's interest led me to get a set-up i was pushing for him. i finally got myself the clearaudio unify arm with the sixstream cable some rave about. beautiful arm with carbon-fibre body. exactly how i imagined it. used but well-maintained. installed on a new champion table, the rig was finally set-up at home last sunday morning by jeanne (sinar) and the george (ihatejazz). cartridge was an MM beta wood. nothing fancy (i mean nothing as expensive as the clearaudio MCs)...

i won't comment anymore about the table and its construction. a lot has been written already about it...same with the unify arm and the MM cartridges of this german company.

well, i love the absolute flexibility of the unify arm...provides adjustments (seems easy enough) on vta, azimuth. all my tables todate did not have easy vta adjustments. initial adjustment revealed an almost lifeless sound...is this the signature clearaudio sound? thin, almost analytical. but hey, the cart is brand new and has not broken in so i thought...

some more adjustments (actually 2) and the vta was about right.

fast forward >>>

it's day 3 now. day 2 (yesterday) gave me time to stay home. i had a bad case of diarrhea, so i spent most of my waking time either in the toilet seat or listening to my new analog toy :lol:

- the cart had definitely opened up. the champion/unify/6stream/beta combo produced bass notes deeper than any of the 4 other turntables i have at home. not only deeper but more articulately.

- imaging/soundstaging was very stable it was a wonder how it can be so even with the mess of equipment i have around in my room... hehehe

- piano pieces were precisely rendered i have to strike some keys of the piano nearby to check for acuracy. it is accurate enough!

- vocals came in naturally, with the right amount of warmth although i'd prefer it warmer still. hopefully with break-in in can further improve.

- some slight glare on highs was observed but most likely from the recordings. highs were extended, not bright at all.

i played some "audiophile" LPs: Misty by Yamamoto, chi ayado's LP with amazing grace (fever is the cut to use), 45rpm LP of coltrane's kind of blue, then a few japanese pressed jazz LPs and classic records.

rest of my system: Audible Illusions Modulus phonostage, newly restored QUAD II monoblocks driving the Vintage Tannoy Stirling. occassionally used the Rogers LS3/5A with the AB1s in a modified Kiy arrangement.

verdict (in my system):

workmanship and engineering: 5 out of 5

tonal quality: 4.5

dynamics, PRAT and all that ekek: 4.25 :D

musicality/emotional impact: 4 out of 5, within the limitations of my room, system synergy, cart break-in, etc.

value for money: a high 5!!!! thanks jeanne :)

support: 5. this i have to say - george is (a major) part of the reason i decided to take this. i know i can count on him if i have any problems or need help.

Oh Yes! a Clearaudio now proudly sits in my listening room...and it looks very much at home there :D
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby arnoldc » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:41 pm

francis, di ka ba nilalagnat? :lol:

now seriously, congratulations! you may have the same fear, uncertainty and doubt thinking about having a clearaudio rig in your home. but, you're luckier as george and jeanne was with you all the way, physically. ako when i got my clearaudio rig, i was all alone with just a telephone line to george. actually, ayaw ko sya kausapin hanggat di tumunog :lol: but just like you, the rest is history ;)
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:12 pm

arnoldc wrote:francis, di ka ba nilalagnat? :lol:

muntik na nga ako nilagnat....dahil sa diarrhea! :lol:
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby zetroce » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:51 pm

Kasama ako sa mga unang nakapakinig niyan. Thanks VD for the " Brownies and the Pandesal " . Great setup you have there. Even your old Decca LP, Ella ba yun, was very good. Break-in pa lang yan. :lol:

Congrats! :)
zetroce
Master
Master

Postby arnoldc » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:07 pm

zetroce, di ka naman nakinig eh :twisted: kita mo padesal at brownies una mong natandaan :lol: :lol:
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby zetroce » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:18 pm

arnoldc wrote:zetroce, di ka naman nakinig eh :twisted: kita mo padesal at brownies una mong natandaan :lol: :lol:

Buti nga, may natandaan eh... :lol: :lol: :lol:
zetroce
Master
Master

Postby iceman90a » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:05 pm

akala ko Technics papalit sa Michell ni VD... :twisted:

Clear Audio pala! Wow! :D
iceman90a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jo2 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:05 pm

vintage_dog,

Oh Yes! a Clearaudio now proudly sits in my listening room...and it looks very much at home there

Naku po! Nadagdagan at dumarami na naman ang mga kalaban ko sa pagbili ng LP/Vinyl! :lol: :D
jo2
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:51 pm

Congratulations VD :!: :)

I guess the negative myths about Clearaudio, acrylic, and modern tables can now be laid to rest. 8)

No less than the Wiredstate administrator is happy with his new toy. :)

ihatejazz, blow-out na :!:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby rsm2a3 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:12 pm

zetroce wrote:Kasama ako sa mga unang nakapakinig niyan. Thanks VD for the " Brownies and the Pandesal " . Great setup you have there. Even your old Decca LP, Ella ba yun, was very good. Break-in pa lang yan. :lol:

Congrats! :)

present din ako..quadII with ls3/5a, galing galing, tapos clearaudio analog gear, super...tapos pandesal and brownies ayos!!

thanks VD...124 plinth pls reserve, i'll pick-up siguro friday night.
rsm2a3
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:18 am

jo2, for your information, dati ng kalaban yan. nag lay low nga lang.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby marty_e » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:07 am

woohoo congratulations Francis. Though I have only the little brother of the Champion, I too am immensely satisfied not just with the product but the after sales service c/o Mr. IHJ. So George, you'll be in our neighborhood more often i guess. Bumili ka na ng e-pass!
marty_e
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Doc Jr 8156 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:31 am

Sir VD,
Congrats on your new toy. Marami pang gabing pagpupuyat sa pakikinig ang aabutin mo ngayon. Kung marami nuon, mas marami ngayon. I only had one chance to hear a Clearaudio rig with the Unify arm and clearly this is a very good anlog front end. One word......"killer". Enjoy and Godspeed.
Doc Jr 8156
Citizen
Citizen

Postby sinar » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:45 am

hi francis,

i'm glad you're happy with the champion. it's really a good combination for the price (ie brand new cost of the equipment), until of course when the upgrade bug comes in like what happened to me. thanks din for the very yummy brownies and food for the gods. nasira south beach diet ko that day. would you believe na until now i still can remember the taste of the brownies in my mouth. and i really love your listening room kahit medyo makalat he he :). it's so airy (maaliwalas) and so perfect if you have audio buddies around for sessions. kaya nga ngayon medyo isip isip na ako how to redo my place.
sinar
Citizen
Citizen

Postby macolive » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:59 pm

Hi Francis!

Congratulations on your clearaudio acquisition! Welcome to the Club!!! :D

As for george and customer service....I can definitely vouch for that..TOP CLASS!

Sinar,

The upgrade bug bit me already but I've been able to ignore it..but with this thread...this bug is now gnawing away at me! :lol:
macolive
Citizen
Citizen

Postby detubo » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:59 pm

aba! may clearaudio club of the philippines na pala. they should classify clearaudio as a dangerous drug, georgie being the pusherman. even veteran vintage collectors are getting hooked! i too am one very happy clearaudio user. so happy that i may check myself in into rehab soon.
detubo
Master
Master

Postby macolive » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:25 pm

detubo wrote:aba! may clearaudio club of the philippines na pala. they should classify clearaudio as a dangerous drug, georgie being the pusherman. even veteran vintage collectors are getting hooked! i too am one very happy clearaudio user. so happy that i may check myself in into rehab soon.

Just a figure of speech...but you may be on to something there...Clearaudio club of the Philippines....George for president! :D :D
macolive
Citizen
Citizen

Postby sinar » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:42 pm

macolive wrote:
The upgrade bug bit me already but I've been able to ignore it..but with this thread...this bug is now gnawing away at me!

naku macolive lagot ka. it's an incurable bug pa naman :)
sinar
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ihatejazz » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:54 pm

sinar wrote:hi francis,

i'm glad you're happy with the champion. it's really a good combination for the price (ie brand new cost of the equipment), until of course when the upgrade bug comes in like what happened to me. thanks din for the very yummy brownies and food for the gods. nasira south beach diet ko that day. would you believe na until now i still can remember the taste of the brownies in my mouth. and i really love your listening room kahit medyo makalat he he :). it's so airy (maaliwalas) and so perfect if you have audio buddies around for sessions. kaya nga ngayon medyo isip isip na ako how to redo my place.

You forgot to mention the SIXbaluts you gobbled down while in Pateros! :lol: :lol:
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ihatejazz » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:57 pm

macolive wrote:
detubo wrote:aba! may clearaudio club of the philippines na pala. they should classify clearaudio as a dangerous drug, georgie being the pusherman. even veteran vintage collectors are getting hooked! i too am one very happy clearaudio user. so happy that i may check myself in into rehab soon.

Just a figure of speech...but you may be on to something there...Clearaudio club of the Philippines....George for president! :D :D

wait a minute! wait a minute! I am only the pusher. The biggest junkie for president ARNOLDC
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Next

Return to / VD's doghouse \