FS: Altec 403A in Open Baffles (rosewood finish)

vintage and modern toys of the old dog :-)

Moderator: vintage_dog

FS: Altec 403A in Open Baffles (rosewood finish)

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:31 pm

a pair of Altec 403A drivers mounted on Open Baffles. finished professionally in rosewood!

special offer at P9,000 only for this set (Open Baffles + 403A drivers). if you have a SET amp, this will mate perfectly well...

i had 3 pairs made and this set is the second pair. first pair is now with arnold.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby mandym » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:04 pm

I WANT, I WANT!! Pls reserve this for me. Thanks, Mandy
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jamants » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:10 pm

next in line if he doesnt get it, saka na problemahin ang SET amp =)
jamants
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:12 pm

done!
thanks Mandy :-)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:22 pm

jamants wrote:next in line if he doesnt get it, saka na problemahin ang SET amp =)

jay, will reserve you a pair from the next batch. it may interest you to know that the perfect amp for this is the Tono personal... :D
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby mozilla » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:46 am

Any pix francis?
mozilla

Postby arnoldc » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:56 am

check this out! - viewtopic.php?p=54101#54101
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby fld » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:55 am

doesnt it not affect the sound if you finish the baffle ? tks.
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:01 am

mozilla wrote:Any pix francis?

here's arnold's unit. the second unit has a gloss black vertical band at the center which runs through the drivers. the back panels are gloss black instead of rosewood. high WAF! :)

vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:48 pm

those interested to audition may drop by tonight...while the unit is still not picked-up by it's new owner :-)

text me if you need my address...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:03 pm

some comments on the 403A OB from the LS gentleman:

ichabod wrote:... I'm spoiled over what I'm hearing now from these altec 403As. The midrange rivals the LS 3/5a, only that it gets clearer and bigger even. Truth to tell, I'm getting the same hearing impression on the 403As regarding its ability to give a layered sound into the treble region that's like the LS....

ichabod wrote:... Amazing! For someone who's had a foretaste of the OBs and them altecs, who won't get excited!

So last nght I had a long intimate romance with these "quad 57" looking monoliths. The comparison does not stop there. I hear a wide open window of sound. Easy going. The highs takes a calmer presentation without tweeters. That's what I noticed. One good point I guess going single drivers. But more than that. The presentation, the mids specially, have a clarity that does not shout at you despite the fact I was driving them with a stromberg carlson pp amp using two 6DY7s power tubes driven by 6u8s. For sure, the altecs obliged me with the illusion that the Nat King Cole Jazz Trio was in my room. I like these altecs and OBs specially on classical pieces. They don't lord it over your ears. Suave, gentle, and graceful with a very subtle way of presenting the layers of musicians and their music. For Nat, I can even turn my back to the speakers and keep the illusion that he's just behind. I remember Arnold saying Rey Valera was in his room. I heard that, and believed his claim. Well, Nat was in mine!

vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:03 am

thanks for the comments marty!

marty_e wrote:Had a short but sweet experience with a similar pair last night. The one of VD had accent on the cabinet that matched well with his chosen furniture. It looked like chinese lacquered antique with a black stripe going down the middle. Kulang na lang pearl inlay. :lol: The finish was flawless and quite a sight to behold. Maganda, pulido.

More compelling that the aesthetics was the sound coming out of it. On the 2 watt Tono Personal, the pair was truly involving and showed no propensity for ear fatigue whatsoever. It's easy to be distracted by all the beautiful equipment and furniture at VD's place but while the music was playing, even as background music, you find yourself drawn back to it. Midrange was full and rich while bass was ample but not overpowering. And this is with a coffee table right infront of it. Placement seemed undemanding as VD moved it a bit and still, the sound was as involving. Francis, what was the second amp you hooked up, btw?

One thing I like about it is di swapang. Even as audiophiles find it generally ok for 3 grown men to squeeze into a 2 seater sofa :? and try to crowd the 'sweet spot', these pair offered off-axis response that was still enjoyable. There was no need for us 3 to be in a semi-group hug to get the full effect. For speaker drivers that are nearly on the floor, the sound was still HUGE.

Have yet to hear ArnoldC's with the Champion/Sigma duo and some ROCK!!!

I swear there must be something in them brownies... Thanks Francis!!!

P.S. Arnold, if post OT please move as you see fit.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby qguy » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:42 am

is this the same altec with the 1 pc paper cone and surround ...green back ?
qguy
Master
Master

Return to / VD's doghouse \