BLOG: empty dog house (update on the inhabitants)

vintage and modern toys of the old dog :-)

Moderator: vintage_dog

BLOG: empty dog house (update on the inhabitants)

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:53 pm

empty nest as both carlo (ziggyboy) and mela are now out of the house...

here's the latest on the ex-inhabitants...

carlo (sydney), still with qantas is now down from 178 to 145 pounds, ... doing his masters in computer science, and may pursue doctorate studies in aviation technology or something

mela (usa), who recently graduated with a masters degree at stanford university, may work at a local firm or at the prestigious stanford research international at silicon valley (if all goes well)...may pursue doctorate after two years of work...or settle back in the philippines to do humanitarian work for country

as for me, i continue to gain weight, and still thinking of what doctorate degree to pursue... :rofl:

marlene still cooks and bakes something new regularly, active in various orgs, travels as a hobby, and is more tolerant and patient with me... :lol:

cheers!
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Re: BLOG: empty dog house (update on the inhabitants)

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:01 pm

from 178 to 145 pounds

vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby TheAnalogSource » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:24 pm

....when you're feeling sad and lonely.....

just say so....and the OPLAN boys will be happy to keep you company.
however, please note that snacks, lunch and dinner are on you :lol: :lol: :lol: we are very easy to please though :$
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:28 pm

halls wrote:....when you're feeling sad and lonely.....

just say so....and the OPLAN boys will be happy to keep you company.
however, please note that snacks, lunch and dinner are on you :lol: :lol: :lol: we are very easy to please though :$

i still owe the oplan boys a treat...currently busy with our strat planning but i should be free towards the end of the month. we can then talk about some of the pending admin/mod items, etc.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby KD » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:53 pm

vintage_dog wrote:or settle back in the philippines to do humanitarian work for country

I know it is none of my business to influence other people's lives, but every time I say I prayer for our country and our people, I ask for more people like Mela who are even considering this as a choice.
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:11 pm

KD wrote:
vintage_dog wrote:or settle back in the philippines to do humanitarian work for country

I know it is none of my business to influence other people's lives, but every time I say I prayer for our country and our people, I ask for more people like Mela who are even considering this as a choice.

thanks KD. i'll pass on your message to her.

honestly, i would want her to stay in the usa or australia. selfish me. but going back home and helping out institutions (she's been talked to by ayala and others) to help advance our state of education through technology is a real option for her. right after grad last june, she spent her 2 weeks here in manila not to vacation with us, but actually in baseco, where together with some friends were working on a project for students there. she seems happiest being with kids and helping them out. she left a very attractive job in p&g (she was a p&g scholar too) to pursue studies which was not within the mainstream computer field... only 18 of them graduated at stanford with such degree which was focused on learning, development and technology, (education in nature) and which other students felt a course that did not guarantee huge financial returns...

i don't know what she'll end up the next few years, but i know deep in her heart what she wants to do is "make a difference in this world" even in her own little way...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:14 pm

here's one of her projects at stanford:

http://pocketschool.stanford.edu/node/13

using the device and software at GK baseco

TeacherMates in the Philippines project
by msogono | Tue, 03/10/2009 - 15:02

As of school year 2007-2008, over 13 million Filipino children were enrolled in elementary schools with 12 million of these children attending public schools. Nationwide achievement tests administered to 6th grade students show scores averaging only 64.81% across different subject areas. (source) Among its population of 96 million, approximately 32.9% live below the poverty line, according to 2006 statistics. (source)

The TeacherMates in the Philippines project aims to provide an educational technological solution to children in an underserved community. This project is done in partnership with Gawad Kalinga Community Development Foundation, Inc., a Philippine-based foundation with a vision of "a slum-free, squatter-free nation through a simple strategy of providing land for the landless, homes for the homeless, food for the hungry and as a result providing dignity and peace for every Filipino."

Thirty-six TeacherMates loaded with math, English, and Filipino applications were deployed this March and June 2009 at one of the SIBOL schools in the GK Baseco compound in Metro Manila Philippines.

This project is sponsored by Innovations for Learning.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:21 pm

some of the ebooks her volunteer-friends developed for her project:

http://pocketschool.stanford.edu/node/35
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby rtsyrtsy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:43 pm

I've told you this before but I'll say it again. Someday, I hope to be able to tell a story about my children a lot like the stories you share about your kids. Truly inspirational. Thanks for sharing.

Anong secret ni Ziggyboy on dropping weight? Said another way, that pretty Aussie lass that's causing the dive to healthy living eh pasado ba sa future father an mother in law niya? :D

Mela is a wonderful intersection of technology and education. It's one of those rare things where you can do good and at the same earn well for yourself. Education is booming despite the crisis.

Go East Coast for the PhD. Para naman masabi ko na may kakilala ako na yung anak niya eh nag-aral sa Stanford at sa MIT. Though if I'm not mistaken, Columbia is the East Coast haven for teaching programs.
rtsyrtsy

Postby rtsyrtsy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:46 pm

Ang dami mo nang puwedeng gawing listening rooms!

Paano yan, one for S/S, one for tubes, one for branded, one for DIY, one for modern, one for vintage, one for digital, one for analog, etc.
rtsyrtsy

Postby pigdog » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:53 pm

funny but we were just talking about you when i saw doc lito today, i mentioned that you were going through the empty nest thing. but you and your wife did a fine job raising two very outstanding kids! so now is the time to relax and take it easy until the grand kids starts rolling in and then the fun continues! ;)

in the meantime you can adopt me! i am always hungry and i can be spoiled basta wag lang tough love!!! besides i am very expressive with my comments when i am asked to test the Latest concoctions! :rofl:
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:01 pm

pigdog wrote:funny but we were just talking about you when i saw doc lito today, i mentioned that you were going through the empty nest thing. but you and your wife did a fine job raising two very outstanding kids! so now is the time to relax and take it easy until the grand kids starts rolling in and then the fun continues! ;)

in the meantime you can adopt me! i am always hungry and i can be spoiled basta wag lang tough love!!! besides i am very expressive with my comments when i am asked to test the Latest concoctions! :rofl:

i should be in HK at the HiFi show. am home alone with the desktop on WS and my laptop with some work! hahaaha

few folks know my real story, but i went though a tough "depression" state about 2 years back...what some of you guys saw in me were merly a "front" to mask a deeper sense of "whatever"...only thing that held me together are my family and friends (both real and virtual) in this community and others...

am i over it? all i can say is yes, the worst is over ... and things can only get better...

cheers
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:06 pm

thanks russ. i hope one day mela/carlo will be able to meet your kids and share their story themselves. looking forward to that.

as for the rooms, just last month marlene just exported all my audio stuff from the guest room to the attic. now i can't find some of my stuff...

i've parked my bike there now :D she hasn't noticed yet...

rtsyrtsy wrote:Anong secret ni Ziggyboy on dropping weight? Said another way, that pretty Aussie lass that's causing the dive to healthy living eh pasado ba sa future father an mother in law niya? :D

meron yata inspiration but has managed to keep her from our knowledge/sight yet. last few gf's he had na pinakilala, lahat nag split sila. so maybe he figured out baka pag pakilala sa amin ay 'bad luck'...haha
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby yahoohoohoo! » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:39 pm

congrats sir vd, your daughter is a very rare breed indeed. just shows how well you brought your kids up :clap: :clap: :clap:
yahoohoohoo!
Citizen
Citizen

Postby miguelmd » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:11 pm

Sir VD! You're such a source of joy and inspiration! Your kids' accomplishments are tangible evidences that they were raised by very fine parents!
Congratulations! You have my vote should you dive into politics! :rock:

MITCH
miguelmd

Postby audiostar » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:12 pm

I dread the day when our daughter, our only child will finally bid us goodbye to be on her own :( You're very lucky to have reared such wonderful children Francis. I hope that my daughter grows up to be as bright and responsible as your kids :)
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Postby pigdog » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:24 pm

never too late to have another one val! ;)
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:27 pm

audiostar wrote:I dread the day when our daughter, our only child will finally bid us goodbye to be on her own :( You're very lucky to have reared such wonderful children Francis. I hope that my daughter grows up to be as bright and responsible as your kids :)

thanks val.

each child is unique and for me as long as they work towards a worthwhile goal, then am happy.

your daughter still has 4-5 years (of college) before she finally finds work and not rely on you completely...when that time comes, we'll have a lot of audio listening, and food tripping to keep us busy hehehe
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby audiostar » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:28 pm

Ha ha ha! How I wish Chester, but due to a car accident my wife was involved in years ago, di na sya pwede. We're just so thankful for what God gave us :)
audiostar

Postby audiostar » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:29 pm

vintage_dog wrote:
audiostar wrote:I dread the day when our daughter, our only child will finally bid us goodbye to be on her own :( You're very lucky to have reared such wonderful children Francis. I hope that my daughter grows up to be as bright and responsible as your kids :)

thanks val.

each child is unique and for me as long as they work towards a worthwhile goal, then am happy.

your daughter still has 4-5 years (of college) before she finally finds work and not rely on you completely...when that time comes, we'll have a lot of audio listening, and food tripping to keep us busy hehehe

Oo nga no ;) He he, I certainly look forward to that :)
audiostar

Next

Return to / VD's doghouse \