Now Playing: Apogee Slant 6

vintage and modern toys of the old dog :-)

Moderator: vintage_dog

Postby manilaman » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:06 pm

vintage_dog wrote:
manilaman wrote:
Amplifine wrote:Have the same speakers... Y so cheap? :?: :? :? This is a rare bargain! :twisted:

Was at Kuks place......just wondering why he was selling it. 2nd, why such a bargain price? If its the speakers, i can't hear anything wrong with it, if its me, then i still have a lot to learn in listenning and looking out for lousy sounding units. Because i still have to hear what's wrong. Honestly, I told him to hold on to it. for Pesos 32k, how much will he add to get a new set of "same " sounding speakers?? Again, its just me.
:roll: :wink: :roll: :wink:

well, i think kuks just feels magnanimous after the typoon :-)

am bringing over an amp and auditioning the speakers tonight before he changes his mind... :lol:

Ok, tell kuks to call me, i'll join u!!! :)
manilaman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Amplifine » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:08 pm

vintage_dog wrote:
manilaman wrote:
Amplifine wrote:Have the same speakers... Y so cheap? :?: :? :? This is a rare bargain! :twisted:

Was at Kuks place......just wondering why he was selling it. 2nd, why such a bargain price? If its the speakers, i can't hear anything wrong with it, if its me, then i still have a lot to learn in listenning and looking out for lousy sounding units. Because i still have to hear what's wrong. Honestly, I told him to hold on to it. for Pesos, how much will he add to get a new set of "same " sounding speakers?? Again, its just me.
:roll: :wink: :roll: :wink:

well, i think kuks just feels magnanimous after the typoon :-)

am bringing over an amp and auditioning the speakers tonight before he changes his mind... :lol:

You better do it quick VD. He just called me and it sounded like he's just about to change his mind :lol:
Amplifine
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Superman » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:49 pm

congratulations, VD!

if i only had a more powerful amp, i'll definitely take advantage as well of this offer...enjoy! :D

jen
Superman
Master Showman

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:51 pm

i must be truly lucky :wink:

had a wonderful evening with kuks playing some of his superb vinyl collection using the apogees...

nice, nice, nice :D

thanks alan for a truly enjoyable evening of music...can't wait to set them up at home
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kukang » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:55 pm

vintage_dog wrote:i must be truly lucky :wink:

had a wonderful evening with kuks playing some of his superb vinyl collection using the apogees...

nice, nice, nice :D

thanks alan for a truly enjoyable evening of music...can't wait to set them up at home

What more can I say..........I had fantastic time. Looking forward to setting up the Slants over the weekend. Keep in touch. :D :D
kukang
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:11 pm

the speakers were delivered today! what more can i wish for? it was so easy to set-up and in no time i was playing music...and boy what an enjoyable experience. superb imaging, natural timbre and so 'live'. i didn't need more bass (not in my room). kuks even dropped by to help suggest placement. it pased the yamamoto misty test with flying colors! :D

thanks a zillion again kuks. this must be one of the best-value audio purchase i've made in a long while...

8)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JackD201 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:15 pm

Sino naman kaya ang susuwertehin sa Celestion ni Soccer Star? :P

Congrats VD!! :D
JackD201
Immortal

Postby stereophile » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:33 pm

VD- Congratulations on your new babies :!: I know what you mean about the imaging, the air, the transparency...that only planars & electrostatics can dish out...a totally different listening experience. It will be difficult moving back to cones!

Kuks- Congratulations on your sale! So what are you replacing those babies with :?: :roll:
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Postby kukang » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:39 pm

JackD201 wrote:Sino naman kaya ang susuwertehin sa Celestion ni Soccer Star? :P

malamang si VD ulit.............. :lol: :lol: :lol:
kukang
Citizen
Citizen

Postby kukang » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:42 pm

stereophile wrote:
Kuks- Congratulations on your sale! So what are you replacing those babies with :?: :roll:

Doc, all of a sudden I don't know anymore. Galing talaga ng Slant 6. :( :(
kukang
Citizen
Citizen

Postby kukang » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:43 pm

VD,

Listening session naman with Adobo and Brownies.........
kukang
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:02 am

kukang wrote:VD,

Listening session naman with Adobo and Brownies.........

anytime...let's do it soon :D

when you left, i hooked up the eico hf35 monos to the harbeths...surprise surprise, this combo was a better match than the mv60se-harbeth. dynamics galore and perfect for jazz. going back to the apoogees-mv60se, i was for a different treat, a different experience....vocals stand-out and imaging is holographic i turned off the lights completely to "see" the players performing for me. i can't play them as loud as the harbeths but the realism is so convincing. i've never heard sinatra, ella and radka sing so intimately. heifetz and isaakperlman played so intimately. forget about bass slam. these are not dancing or rock speakers but they are just fun...

a long night...a big smile :D
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:12 am

stereophile wrote:VD- Congratulations on your new babies :!: I know what you mean about the imaging, the air, the transparency...that only planars & electrostatics can dish out...a totally different listening experience. It will be difficult moving back to cones!

thanks doc. do dropby sometime when you're here at asian. i may need help on placement. kuks tells me i have to clear most of the junk i have. now, that's a big problem :lol:

kuks is starting to have withdrawal symptoms. am not sure too what he plans to replace them with...am still wondering why he sold the apogees in the first place, buti na lang nasa bahay na...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:15 am

JackD201 wrote:Sino naman kaya ang susuwertehin sa Celestion ni Soccer Star? :P

thanks jack. i saw those celestions. they looked so lonely on the floor :D
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:24 am

ihatejazz wrote:
vintage_dog wrote:hey nox, i'll have a chance to listen to them next weekend. at 83db, am not sure if any of my amps can drive them satisfactorily. if not, they are yours...
...or perhaps the marantz 9 monoblocks? :wink:

High-End Dog,

Marantz 9.......game! 8)

hey ihj, those apogees are still vintage...

seller asking 8k for the 9s. a pair sold for 12k at audiogon earlier. affordable, but wrong currency.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:50 am

having spent a few more hours playing these babies, the following are additional observations:

1. could sound too detained to a fault. i hear more ticks and pops from my uncleaned LPs. :( there is so much detail revealed.

2. slightly more forward presentation than what i'm used to

3. can't really rock and very loud due to small woofer. moderate dynamics.

4. vocals just stand-out....just lovely

5. very balanced across the speaker's range but i could use more warmth or bloom of the cone speakers
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Superman » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:58 am

congratulations VD!

would it be OK to drop by this weekend to listen to your set-up?? i'll be in Manila for the weekend...thanks!
Superman
Master Showman

Postby kukang » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:29 pm

vintage_dog wrote:having spent a few more hours playing these babies, the following are additional observations:

1. could sound too detained to a fault. i hear more ticks and pops from my uncleaned LPs. :( there is so much detail revealed.

2. slightly more forward presentation than what i'm used to

3. can't really rock and very loud due to small woofer. moderate dynamics.

4. vocals just stand-out....just lovely

5. very balanced across the speaker's range but i could use more warmth or bloom of the cone speakers

VD,

You are only getting 80% of the performance of the speakers. Wait till I get there................... ayusin natin yan. :lol: :lol: :lol:
kukang
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:19 am

kuks, i wasn't complaining :D i simply was describing how these speakers are in my room and system. i've been playing classical music on them and they are simply wonderful and enjoyable.

only tweak i did was move back the speakers and my listening coach a bit...not the 6" which i did the other night.

i've never heard piano pieces sound this good in my room... :D
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JackD201 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:24 am

Kukang tama yan, dapat maski hindi industry pro, total aftersales service pa rin! Ayusin mo baby! :lol:

Oh lonely celestions, where will you go? :P Nevermind, if they're lonely just dig up the review I sent you to keep you smiling. :)

VD maganda daw yan w/ the grills left on. Dontcha worry, soccer star will find you the best axial position for that added warmth. Yum Yum!
JackD201
Immortal

PreviousNext

Return to / VD's doghouse \