ST70 version I and version II?

ST70 version I and version II?

Postby aron » Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:06 pm

any difference between the version 1 and version 2 of the ST70 in terms of sound and reliability.

I see they look similar from afar :)

aspiring st70 owner,
thanks.
aron
Citizen
Citizen

Postby m_shoe_maker » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:14 pm

The original one uses a 5AR4 / GZ34 tube. :) The new one does not have it anymore - solid state. :roll:

The original one uses 7199 driver tubes. :) The new one has a different driver tube. :roll:

They sound differently. :roll: Very subjective. :roll: I'll let the "reviewers" answer this. :D
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby marty_e » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:32 pm

There's a review on TNT audio comparing the differences between the tube and SS rectified ST-70. Look it up because it addresses what you're asking directly. Hope that helps.
marty_e
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mozilla » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:08 pm

mozilla

Postby aron » Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:03 pm

Thanks Mozilla,
Nice read!
aron
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Audiogeek » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:06 pm

Regardless of either you own a vintage Dyna70 or the Panor Dyna70II, they are both classic amps that give you great value and great sound. It is an amp that anyone should own one, treasure and enjoy. Lately, Stereophile magazine has featured a new review of the Dyna70 duo in its recent issue. For your easy reference, please click the following:

http://www.stereophile.com/amplificatio ... 992dynaco/

Thank you.
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:14 pm

From the Stereophile Review:

"The new Dynaco Stereo 70 II is a nice, musical little amplifier, but a "giant-killer" it isn't; showdowns with the VTL 225s were not very favorable, in any possible dimension. What the new Dyna is is a very good reissue of a classic tube amp, with excellent build quality and pleasant, easy sonics. The new 70 isn't exactly the kilobuck best-buy I was looking for, but it's nice to see a bona fide audio classic reproduced with care and quality.

Conclusion
In spite of my criticisms of the Panor/Dynaco, I should point out that this amp will kill most of the sub-$1000 mid-fi solid-state dreck out there; it's not the greatest amp for the money, but it is a well-designed tube amp, and that alone will ensure more long-term listening pleasure than a lot of the budget solid-state amps.

That said, I can't really recommend the Panor. You can find good-working vintage Stereo 70s on the used market for $200, and the new 70 II just doesn't offer a grand's worth of sonic improvement. There's enough excellent gear for a cool thou, both tube and solid-state, that the 70 II doesn't keep pace with. If this amp sold for $600, I'd say buy it even if you don't need it, but while the 70 II is a nice little amp, your $1000-$1100 can ultimately buy better sound. "

i tend to agree with this assessment having heard both models and comparing the sound with other true-blue vintage amps. however, for p20-25k i saw advertised for this, this is still a great value amp. but if you can afford to pay a little bit more, go for the classic/orig model. just my 2c... :)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby noctilux » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:12 pm

The reviews of stereophile and absolute sound during this time were a bit at odds. The Absolute Sound review was in favor of the series II. I myself had the Series II and to this day hit myself in the head for selling it 12 years ago. This version was a small powerhouse with kick-ass response with modern speakers. It could play at generous levels with my old DQ-8 dalquist of that period. Very reliable as I know to this date.
Don't expect a really creamy sound from this version but a more modern sound, less colored presentation. A good tube preamp can easily change the character of this baby, as the sound follows the source.

rgds
Noctilux
noctilux
Citizen
Citizen

Return to DYNACO