LS3/5A V2 wins HFN Awards

LS3/5A V2 wins HFN Awards

Postby mozilla » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:39 pm

The Stirling LS3/5A V2 won best speaker under UK1k beating the Sonus Faber Signum (2nd place) and PMC TB2 (3rd place).

Three cheers to this 35+year old design with no advertising muscle that can still play head-to-head against the major brands.
Last edited by mozilla on Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mozilla

Postby dogears » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:46 pm

Galeng! :D
dogears
Master
Master

Postby ichabod » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:15 pm

I thought that was really forthcoming! Two big nanmes, one Italian and the other another Brit speaker maker that made the DB1 famous and according to Jo Ki made the LS 3/5A the speaker for "old folks."

Kudos to those who are stuck with these speakers. Not bad indeed for a 30 year older in the V2 version.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: LS3/5A V2 wins HFN Awards

Postby handyboy » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:25 pm

mozilla wrote:Image

The Stirling LS3/5A V2 won best speaker under UK1k beating the Sonus Faber Signum (2nd place) and PMC TB2 (3rd place).

Three cheers to this 35+year old design with no advertising muscle that can still play head-to-head against the major brands.

WOW!!! :)
handyboy
Pound for Pound

Postby ichabod » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:54 am

If you can, why not post some of the comments where the V2 surpassed the other two.

I'm bound to say that it sounded more coherent, with none of that tweetery jitters, or the slicing and dividing of frequencies that make sound thin out transparently.

Fire away mozilla.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mozilla » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:07 pm

I'll post excerpts from the awards as soon as I get a hold of one. Perhaps someone who has a copy of the Sept2005 issue can do so.

This 'V2' version retains the LS3/5a License from the BBC and uses superspec xovers and a thinwall cabinet pattered after the legendary BBC 001/002 LS3/5A's.

HFN calls the LS3/5A " the world's most highly regarded two-way, monitor-quality small speaker". It is estimated that about 100,000 pairs of LS3/5A's has been sold. KK adds that "Estimates put its current potential sales, thanks to continued cult worship, at anywhere from 300 to 1000 pairs per year."

The crossovers are one of the main aspects of the design as it determines the "voice" of the final product. This ascertains perfect matching of the of the 2 drivers to attain a cohesive sound.
mozilla

Postby ichabod » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:04 pm

"Cohesive sound," that's what it's all about. One of the reasons I got attracted to full range single drivers. It has that similar "one voice" sound that the LS 3/5a can do despite being a two-way, might as well be "true-way" speakers. MOst other speakers really sound "two ways," you hear the bass and mids, and those somewhat separated highs.

X'overs, none had made this so obvious as Derek Hughes of spendor when he introduced special x'overs called "cicables" which he did as well for the LS as an upgrade. I heard back then that Alan Shaw consults with Derek on these matters as well. So who knows Derek may have had a hand in V2 version.

I believe it was in the final years of the LS by spendor that Derek produce the "limited editions," 50 pairs only he made, using special cardas wires. It says or read: "They incorporate PTFE sleeved silver coated copper cable and unique binding post producing a specification only viable in limited production quantities."

So yes the mains here is the improved x'over "as it determines the 'voice' of the final product." I wish we could hear those V2s from Doug Stirling. Who's buying?
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:29 pm

Very Well Deserved :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby marty_e » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:36 am

There's a WS member conducting his own little shootout with 4 variants of the ls35a and a SF minima. I wonder if he'll comment...
marty_e
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ichabod » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:32 am

Yes. I would love to hear that. Who might the guy be? Dunno of any one who can garner four different LS manufacturers, or might you be talking about other speakers that are of same size and sonics.

Since there are some who check this forum and what's new? or current I should say about some fancy for the LS, I thought if this can be of any use here. What triggered me to do this was when I saw a picture from one of wiredstate's LS user (clue a spendor LS) sent me a picture of his lastest baby, a Quad 57 pair! in his listening room and at far back, a pair of LS 3/5A that looked pitiful, abandoned, and miniscule.

I guess most all of us react strangely, aghast would be the word maybe, at the spectre of seeing what a really small shoe-box speakers the LS are in comparison say to my dynaco A25s. This immediately creates suspicion and the impression if the LS indeed can match the sound of some of these imposing behemoths, let alone the Quad 57s, or 63s!

Anyway here's what ole Gordon Holt said about the LS 3/5A in 1997, Stereophile.

"Another advantage of a small sound source is that it tends to radiate sound waves as expanding spheres rather as a planar wave (as from large screens). Human ears react in a seemingly paradoxical manner to a spherical sound field. The reproduced sound seems, much bigger that its source, yet the angular localization of sounds across the 'stage' between speakers (ie, the imaging) is dramatically improved. In fact, the apparent audible size of these tiny speakers is almost laughable; we had the feeling that it just could not possibly be."

Talking about bass which is a weakness for some on the LS, here's what Gordon said:

"Adding to the illusion of a large speaker system, is the remarkable low-endperfromance, which is not really all that deep (subjectively flat to a bit below 57Hz in our rooms) but sounds deeper than it is because the response is actually pretty flat down there (rather than drooping), and the bass details is astonishing from 5" woofers."
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby marty_e » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:40 am

I believe that on tap, there is a Spendor Bi-Wire 11 ohm, Rogers single wire 11 ohm, Rogers Bi-Wire 11 ohm and a Richard Allen Bi Wire 11 ohm. Of course, the SF Minima just to substantiate Senor Serblin's claim that this is the Italian LS35a. Hmmm, i just noticed walang 15 ohm version.
marty_e
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby handyboy » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:43 am

marty_e wrote:There's a WS member conducting his own little shootout with 4 variants of the ls35a and a SF minima. I wonder if he'll comment...

yup and my spendor bi-wire is participating. if am not mistaken the participating speakers are spendor bi-wire, rogers, richard allan and sonus faber minima.
handyboy
Pound for Pound

Postby ichabod » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:47 am

So if you know him, it might be such a good idea to let him take a shot at it. Fire away!
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ichabod » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:48 am

Good to hear from you sith lord G. Why not include the Amator as well? Who's going?
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby handyboy » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:18 am

ichabod wrote:Good to hear from you sith lord G. Why not include the Amator as well? Who's going?

I believe he wants to hear different brands of Ls35a only. He also owns an amator. maybe we could ask him later how it is compared to the amators. Hope to hear from him soon. He is MVA of wiredstate.
handyboy
Pound for Pound

Postby ichabod » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:42 am

Thanks for the info. Good to run a test on different old stock LSs, if one can indeed hear some "pronounciable" difference(s) if any, and if it's really all worth the quibble.

I only suggest that it be driven with some good amps, tube I assume. If tubes, throw in some el84s amp since these are quite common, the ST70 I suppose (el34s), and of course if one can get those Quad IIs, it would be absolutely divine!

I'm not taking a shot at the ST70, but that amp has passed our ears, and there are other amps as well that can push the LS somemore in the area of bass, dynamics, and extension.

The Pilot SA 232 is quite breathtaking on the LS since it has good dynamics and extension.

Of course, these are vintage stuff (old and destitute, lacking in cosmetics sort of) which some may not like at all. But soundwise they're no slouchers either and can beat some modern good looking ones in my not so unbiased opinion.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mozilla » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:14 pm

It's always interesting to line up several LS3/5A's. We did that at Franci's house about 3 years ago with a panel of golden-eared pinoydiophiles giving their votes and deliberating on the sound of each brand after listening to it.

Throwing in the SF Minima also makes things interesting.

Just as a note, some LS3/5As may be showing signs of old age so it's not always fair to judge them w/o testing them for these "deficiencies" first. KK and his panel took great care in checking the integrity of the units prior to the great HFN&RR shootout.

As to that dude with the ESL57's, I think James, that shot was taken by a camphone just to show the new babies. I think that guy has in no way abandoned his LS. They were just in the "parked" position as they always are during the day.
mozilla

Postby mozilla » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:19 pm

Hmmm... the thread on the LS3/5A shootout seems to have disappeared(??) Either that or naduduling ako.
mozilla

Postby mozilla » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:37 pm

Here are some excerpts from the writeup:"In Praise of a Classic"

...So why is that almost all speakers from the 1960s and 1970s sound as dated as you'd expect, whereas the LS3/5a remains a competitive design?

...Perhaps it was the unique assembly of speaker engineering talent at the BBC in the early 1970s, which I don't think has been matched since.

...when it comes to accuracy and stability of stereo imaging and sheer purity of midrange reproduction, the tiny BBC-designed speaker is still a contender.

...this British speaker will soon celebrate its 30th anniversary, yet in many ways it is still competitive with modern designs.
mozilla

Postby ichabod » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:55 pm

Nice words those for a 30 year old dude. But I think the guys at Hifi News are plainly so enamored with these speakers. Leading it of course is the ever biased guy whom Joe Rosen (castigates the LS like mad!) refered as the British reviewer who adores these crappy speakers. LIttle did he know that KK is as American as Ansel Adams or Mark Twain on the wrong side of the pond. Bearded guy so more like Ansel anway.

Anyway, the LS 3/5A must have grown some whiskers too to have more wisdom in the music it plays that it can't get beaten, save perhaps by other insistent LS owners who are busily worrying and lusting for more who's got the best LS in town anyway. Everytime I see that or hear that, I just wear a smile on my face, and say here's another crazy fella who wants more from the LS 3/5A. Why this is cultism in the absolute sense of the word!
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to LS3/5A