Best replacement

Postby ichabod » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:04 am

I think we're getting conned here!
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mozilla » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:17 am

Keep the LS gamby. Get a new speaker if you want more bass as you say, for certain types of music. For vocals, light clasical like trios or violin solos, where you want natural sound with holographic imaging the lS is hard to beat.

Look at it like tube rolling. Plug in your best tube for the type of music you plan to play.
mozilla

Postby Killer Mike » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:35 am

Gambs, dont sell your LS get a floorstander instead :wink:

The LS is perfert inside your bedroom :twisted:
Killer Mike
Legend
Legend

Postby handyboy » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:44 am

Actually, i never thought of selling it. i just wanted to know if i do decide to sell it what would be the best replacement with same clarity and imaging that my spendor can produce. So many times i thought if Ls35a sound is so good that harbeth, spendor, rogers, RA, stirling etc etc produce this speaker because of the sound then why didnt they R&D on having the same sound but putting more missing qualities such as the bass. Its been quite a wonder. Or do they go with the saying "if it aint broke, why fix it?". Also, It came to my knowledge that some Ls3 in HK sell for as high as 80t to 90t pesos. Why? If i sell my Ls3, would it be alright to sell it for that price? Is it because of demand and supply...so many questions, too little answers...
handyboy
Pound for Pound

Postby handyboy » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:46 am

I also realized the there are a lot of pro Ls3 and anti Ls3 in wiredstate. i wanted to get different views on the speaker.
handyboy
Pound for Pound

Postby tonydog » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:36 am

I'll pay 100k for it!!!
tonydog
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tonydog » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:37 am

joke lang :lol: :lol: :lol:
tonydog
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Audio_Tyro » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:51 am

I'll top Tonydog's offer. P110K....
Joke lang din. :lol:
Audio_Tyro
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby arnoldc » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:55 am

mozilla got his for 25K :P sorry ka, AT.
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:58 am

Bwahahahahaha! You guys are killing me!

Gamby's next audio purchase will actually be...............for his NEW CAR! :lol:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby keith » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:08 pm

gambs,

Told you na ... just set up the LS in the Coop ;)
keith
walastick

Postby ichabod » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:03 pm

What an LS 3/5A in the car? Is he now going beeb full gear?

I thought gambyl was simply trying the waters for any takers. Spendor is a spendor. Keep them tight. I understand from Jo Ki he has a lot of respect for the spendor LS after knowing from rodneps (that's Derek H) how he builds the LS 3/5A drivers to match with precise parts in the x'overs. At the spendor factory according to Art Dudley, there's a separate room or place just for building the LS. That's how devoted and thorough Derek was in building this little cat coffin. I believe he still keeps a pair of specimens owned by his Dad, founder of spendor. A lot of history and beeb inspiration for these speakers. And just reading between lines here, I knew at the back of my wits gambyl wouldn't do such a thing.

Instead, why not buy another set of LS 3/5As. I heard that putting one on top of the other doubles the thrill. There are harbeths on epay as well. Some more Rogers there too.

I would love to do a John Keung!
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby handyboy » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:57 pm

keith wrote:gambs,

Told you na ... just set up the LS in the Coop ;)

Hmmmm....thats an idea!
handyboy
Pound for Pound

Postby JackD201 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:26 pm

But you have to have the same curly hairdo and british accent as the host of Top Gear to qualify :lol:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby handyboy » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:13 am

reserved for jackd for 50t.
handyboy
Pound for Pound

Postby ichabod » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:59 am

Thanks for picking up the cue Jack. There must be some LS 3/5A stashed away somewhere inside the cars. Top Gear is fun. I like the teasing part, their precise choice of words during conversations. Good way to illustrate how pesky and picky those Brits are. Thank them though. Otherwise there'd be no LS 3/5A today!
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:26 am

gambyl wrote:reserved for jackd for 50t.

Lagot ka sa kumpare mo :!: Baka ibalik yung kandila :roll:

Reserved for jack in 2018 ba yan :lol: I still don't beleive you!! :D
JackD201
Immortal

Postby handyboy » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:17 am

arnoldc wrote:mozilla got his for 25K :P sorry ka, AT.

:lol:
handyboy
Pound for Pound

Postby botching » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:03 pm

Upgrading speakers? Ok yan :D . Ganyan lang naman tayong mga audiophiles. Bili ngayon then after some time siyempre medyo nakakasawa din or just plain simple na gusto naman natin ng something better or different sounding gears from what we have now.Theres nothing wrong with that.
Para lang mas safe na bumili ka ng known branded speakers(like sonus) na mataas ang resale value dahil as usual after a few years or months, you may think of replacing it again.Then again if someday you'll find the perfect, then good for you. But we know too well na wala namang perfect na speakers.
If you can afford higher priced speakers than what your present budget allows, the better. The more chance is there for then you to find a real upgrade.
Sabi ng iba ( tama din naman ) be content with what you have , I'd say naman, as an audiophile never be content with what you have, or else wala tayo katulad nila Arnoldc other diyrs.
Of course ang downside sa constant upgrading ay magastos. Pero sabi nga aanhin naman natin ang pera kung hindi tayo masaya kasi pinipigilan natin ang sarili natin na mabili ang gusto at lumigaya.
In most ways dala pa rin natin ang pangaral ng mga ninuno natin that goes like - tipid-tipid, wag gastos ng gastos, pwede pa yan bakit papalitan na, i repair na lang, bakit itatapon ay may sentimental value yan, etc etc. Kaya eto nangulelat na ang bansa natin dahil sa poor man's mentality na turo ng mga magulang natin. But of course iyong mga born rich i'm sure ay iba ang turo ng erpats and ermats nila - bili bili bili :)
Some venerable speakers(truly excellent ones spleakers like ls3/5a) are worth keeping but most are way past their time, and as fld mentioned have limitations of their own. You may keep them ofcourse but you don't have to feel guilty if you decided to sell them later. Anyway you'll make another audiophile very happy if you'll give them to him at a reasonable price.
I did not intend to mock, insult or challenge others belief. Kuro-kuro ko lang po ito :)
botching
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ichabod » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:13 pm

LS 3/5As are indeed old speakers (past their time) but is quite a paradox. The older they get, the better they sound.

LS 3/5As are small speakers with no deep base to speak of. Limited volume or loudness. Two disadvantages, but these two disadvantages become advantages. Can be listened to nearfield where one can easily hear the subtle nuances of voices and musical instruments in correct spatial distances within the sound field. The presence and full some weight of the recordings are nicely preserved without diminishing the reality of scale or size for such a small speaker. Disappears easily if you like from the room's space and brings you into another world. Bigger speakers will have a hard time doing a houdini.

The LS 3/5As want to be placed near center of the listening space. Easy to understand why for best sound, but can irritate interior designers and wives who want to preserve the sanctity of the sala from something you'll bump into while walking and doing something. My S 3/5 almost dived into the floor while my wife forgot the speaker was close by. My heart leaped for a few seconds!

The LS 3/5A is one of the few speakers you will find extensively used by other broadcast companies until today aside from the Beeb. Please check Rogers website. Who knows dynaudio will replace them someday. Alan Shaw had made his appeal to the Beeb. And the battle rages, and ain't won. Poor Alan, all of British technology.

The LS 3/5A is the most manufactured speakers around, eight to nine different companies have made exactly the same speakers yet only a 100,000 pairs were made over 30 or a little more years. The only speakers that keeps pulling away surprises with their different makers and cabinet carpenters. Design internally and drivers have never been changed save a little on the x'over ohmage from 15 to 11. There's not an LS 3/5A (SE or ES). In other words, it defied any modification save to clone them. Many are guilty of spinning a myth to its sound. It seems like the "magic" can't be help when listened to. Special wood versions not really unusual but they've been offered in different clothings like fashion too. Can be had now in "losier" backs today in accordance to the paper on cabinets writtern by Harwood which to say the least sounded much better (the beeb samples of KK) that they had to be disqualified from that shoot-out.

The LS 3/5A is like the golden calf to many who collect them in their homes like John Keung and others in HK. The only speakers bought repeatedly. Strange magic that why? The only speaker (and owner pray tell me) that keeps the intrigue going about buying and collecting more soft ware coz they are endlessly intrigue how might it sound better on the LS 3/5A?

Pardon me for being an "audiot" on the LS 3/5A. Before nature, I feel like a moron.

As Shantayana puts it: "Music is the highest form of art that serves the dumbest emotion.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to LS3/5A