The LS3/5A

Postby audiobuds » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:26 am

Actually I'm still experiencing a state of AUDIO SHOCK after hearing these speakers deliver the kind of music I’ve been longing for – finally my search for a good speaker has been granted! I'm pairing them with Cayin MT32 – EL 34 Integrated now up graded to Electro-Harmonix 6CA7 tubes and Cayin CD22 w/ up sampling. The sound capabilities of these newly found ARTIFACTS (referring to Ichabod "archeological" description of LS3/5a’s) is EXCEPTIONAL! No doubt, more audiophiles are trying to get hold of them.

My PERSONAL impression (initial):

1.) Highs are so detailed and refined (doesn’t cause irritation)
2.) Mids is so natural especially listening to female vocals. The sweet voice of Kari Bremnes in “A Lover in Berlin” floats in the air gently.
3.) Bass is deeply extended when I listen to “The Lynne Arriale Trio” version of Windswept. I can feel every beat of the drum pounding on – I keep wondering how this speaker, considering it’s size, delivers.

Overall, I find these speakers so NATURAL in all aspect of my listening requirement and PERFECTLY match my current set up. For those who really want to discover how this little speaker PLAYS true music – GO FOR AUDITION!

P.S. how I wish I could build up my own LS3/5a collection (if only my wife approve the budget)!
audiobuds
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:52 am

That's good to hear. Try to visit John Keung there at HK and ogle at his collection of 15 pairs of LS3/5A's.

John Keung's LS3/5A Collection

You're right when you say it's natural. It's musical and involving without being fatiguing. You could listen for hours on end. It does not bombard you with sound; it's a real midrange champion that churns out pure music. .

BBC put a lot of research into getting it right. If you want to know more about the LS3/5A's R&D process, check out the link below from the Harbeth site and download the pdf files:

The LS3/5A Story
Last edited by mozilla on Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
mozilla

Postby ichabod » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:19 am

Grant, the LS thread is getting longer and longer each time. A tribute to the undying living legend of the Beeb fame!

Let's drink up to this!

I like the word "natural" as the best label for the LS 3/5a. Nothing in my estimation can outdo the LS in this department. Because it sounds less louder than any at 82 dB, it can just give the right amount of loudness to compensate for the best hearing compensator there is -- the human ear!

THe LS is such a midrange champion because its true engineers did not ignore the human ears when designing it.

Ron Pellegrino wrote an article entitled "Why are audio engineers the enemies of our ears." You can bet this generated a lot of furor amongst recording engineers who love boosting thesounds we hear in concert exposing us to listening music that is too loud for it to sound most natural to us.

Here's one good reason why the LS sounds so good in the midrange. And I quote from Ron: "Notice that the auditory canal is like a pipe. Due to its dimensions it funstions like a resonator emphasizing the hearing sensitivity in the range of 1.5 kHz to 5 kHz."

MOst good old hifi manufacturers like McIntosh, Fisher, Sherwood just to name some always refered to the research done by Dr. Fletcher in loudness compensation relative to the human ear known as the Fletcher-Munsen curves. No wonder tube amps in the olden days sounded more real and natural.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mozilla » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:30 am

Yes I noticed this thread has the most pageviews in this forum.

I'll have to cheat on that glass of bubly coz my gastro doctor will spank me if he finds out. harharhar! :lol:
mozilla

Postby audiobuds » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:44 pm

Mozilla wrote:

That's good to hear. Try to visit John Keung there at HK and ogle at his collection of 15 pairs of LS3/5A's.

John Keung's LS3/5A Collection

Thanks Sir Moz!

The search is OVER but my research CONTINUES.....

I've been to his site several times and closely follow his comment/suggestions (of course apart from our very own Moz & Ichabod of Wiredstate) on good LS combination. JK suggested that the EL34 driven amp is working well on LS and he also mention pairing them with Quad II. I'm considering this tube amp in case any up grade in future. Furthermore, he is trying to match his LS collection with Quicksilver minimites (interested to hear from him soon).

Ichabod wrote:

Grant, the LS thread is getting longer and longer each time. A tribute to the undying living legend of the Beeb fame!

Let's drink up to this!

I already invited to Mr. Plumber & Skabyol to visit my place this coming Saturday to start our celebration - a glass of red wine + Laura Fygi's latest album Live at Ronnie Scott's will do. :) :)
audiobuds
Citizen
Citizen

Postby botching » Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:28 pm

LS is such wonderful speakers that although I’m enjoying my recently acquired tinos(every time I listened to it), and yet the LS is still with me and still hesitating to return it to its owner. I’m not comparing it to the tinos – they’re both great in their own way. LS sounds differently with the tinos. But everytime I hear the LS, it tickles something in me. I just enjoyed listening to LS especially with vocals. With an all tube setup – vocals on LS is just so natural. Clean and clear
botching
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:47 pm

We look forward to pics of your saturday session!

Make sure you take pictures before you consume the wine. :D
mozilla

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:43 pm

botching wrote:LS is such wonderful speakers that although I’m enjoying my recently acquired tinos(every time I listened to it), and yet the LS is still with me and still hesitating to return it to its owner. I’m not comparing it to the tinos – they’re both great in their own way. LS sounds differently with the tinos. But everytime I hear the LS, it tickles something in me. I just enjoyed listening to LS especially with vocals. With an all tube setup – vocals on LS is just so natural. Clean and clear

give the tinos some more time to break-in...

if you still feel the same way about the SF, hey, you can always sell those tinos and hunt for what sems like what you really want -- the LS...i think your mind is trying to rationalize (and justify) to like what you have already bought but your heart may be telling you something else :wink:

don't worry, you're not the only one...i've been in that situation a few times but now i've learned...i go where my ear AND where my heart tells me...

and i'm kappy :D

for so long, i've always wanted to upgrade my michel mycro to a gyrodec se..it's pretty. but somehow my heart is into vintage tables...the thorens 124 or the garrard 301..so guess what i'm buying next?

several years ago, i had a jadis orchestra reference amp...very pretty and powerful too...but each time i listen to vintage amps, i fell in love with them...so what did i do? i sold my jadis and had enough money to buy a few vintage amps i really like...and i'm so much happier... :D :D

so, what does your heart and soul tell you...i think it's the LS you really want, right? :wink:
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby botching » Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:32 pm

hey VD! i think youre trying to led me out of the dark side of the force. :(
calling all sith lords! VD is trying to lure me back away. . . moral support is needed :lol:
how could you even think that i'm even considering the LS at this time when the tinos are on the break-in stage :o :shock:
i will not return back the LS to the guy! i'll make him an offer he cant refuse! :x :x
i'll beat him to death if he dont agree to let me have his LS
i'll even organize an LS hunting safari in hongkong pag walang makuha dito sa saudi :lol:
botching
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:04 pm

botching wrote:calling all sith lords! VD is trying to lure me back away. . . moral support is needed

I'm a newbie Sith and worse, recently inactive, but I will not contradict what VD said because it is damn right. It doesn't quite really matter if one speaker is technically superior to another overall if your heart yearns for something else.

Do pick up Tino optimization tips from Hyperion, Audio Tyro, Racio, and the other Sonus fans. Fromm the top of my head, here are some of what I did with mine when I had a pre-Home Tino:

1--6-7 feet apart, slight toe-in
2--Tweeters out, unless you are too near the side walls
3--Solid, 29" stands
4--Cables that worked well: Ixos 6003 for entry, Analysis Plus for mid-range, Kondo silver cables for high end.
5--I've read and heard some but "newer" CJ's work magnificently with the Tinos, e.g., MV45, MV55, and if you can find a cheap one of afford a new one, the MV60. The {remiere series is another level up altogether.
6--Audio Physic or some variation of a long wall set-up is best
7--About a meter away from rear wall
8--Take out whatever wire connectors you may have be they bananas or spades3
rtsyrtsy

Postby ichabod » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:18 am

At the rate we're going, this may yet turn up into another speaker foray started by the LS 3/5a. For sure, the empire will strike back!

I remember once Bob Neill (reviewer of many speakers in the AA and enjoythemusic.com notably spendors, harbeths, and JMRs) proposed in the AA a contest which he fondly titled something like a world cup series for the most natural sounding speakers.

Maybe we can do the same here. Let's line up all the great speakers in one ideal room, and vote for the most natural sounding of all speakers.

What sayeth thou?
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jetm » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:47 am

Good idea James.
How about an LS 3/5a vs. Sonus Faber Concertino/Concerto shootout?
Nothing more. Nothing less. Nothing else.
That would be great fun.
jetm
Citizen
Citizen

LS35a

Postby fld » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:18 am

LS is such wonderful speakers that although I’m enjoying my recently acquired tinos(every time I listened to it), and yet the LS is still with me and still hesitating to return it to its owner. I’m not comparing it to the tinos – they’re both great in their own way. LS sounds differently with the tinos. But everytime I hear the LS, it tickles something in me. I just enjoyed listening to LS especially with vocals. With an all tube setup – vocals on LS is just so natural. Clean and clear

### Francis could be right !!

You will find the LS35a more analog and natural sounding in the end (not that its important). It also sounds coherent and you cannot hear the tweeters separated from the mids and lows.

Give your Tinos sometime to break in and play with the different positions. Am sure when they sound right they will be very good also. But in the end, the more you listen to the LS35a the more you will lust to own one because there is just something in there that "as James would say" -- Will pull your heartstrings! Off course James is bias to this opinion because he owns an LS although he has heard Tino, Concerto and the Amators in the most high end of set-ups in my house and in my friends house.
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ichabod » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:37 am

Well, any one who owns any aprticular brand of speakers will show a bias for it.

But the question really becomes: Is it a well-founded bias?
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:56 am

i hope i didn't start another debate on which speaker is better...only point i wanted to make is that oftentimes (for me at least), our choices of audo gear are dictated upon by our own emotional "connect" to the gear...it's something you can't explain in audiopjhile terms...some gear just bring out that passion in you to just want them..perhaps similar when you chose your spouse :wink: audio is just that...very subjective, emotional, personal, irrational...and no one can dictate what we should like...in fact if it were otherwise, it would be boring..don't you think so?
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby audiobuds » Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:29 pm

Botching wrote:

i'll even organize an LS hunting safari in hongkong pag walang makuha dito sa saudi

Hi Kabayan’ Botching kindly extend my regards to all SADIK out there!

In any case, I think there’s no need for you to organize an LS hunting safari in hong kong, there are rumors SARS will come back this coming winter. We can help you out with your search (if really necessary) under one specific condition:

Give your Tinos more time to break-in first as suggested by other members using similar gear. It’s unfair for such a GREAT speaker if not given a chance. In my case, it’s a 2nd hand therefore doesn’t require any break-in. I’ve been to the shop where I bought my LS last night and learnt that the original owner of my LS did come back looking for his old speaker. He traded his LS with SF Minimona due to pressure from his friends to up grade his more than 10 year old speaker. But the shop owner informed him it was already sold to another customer the same day he brought it in. After hearing that, I intentionally stop the conversation for personal reasons.

ichabod wrote:

Maybe we can do the same here. Let's line up all the great speakers in one ideal room, and vote for the most natural sounding of all speakers.

It is possible but I think may not be necessary. I have a newbie suggestion – why not request fellow members to open separate thread under this section to allow dedicated users of Tinos to posts their own. We don’t need to conclude what’s the best sounding speaker since the outcome will be always arguable. Let’s all remember it all depends on individual taste and preference. After all, I believe we have only one objective here at Wiredstate…… “only to enjoy music and be proud of our own set-up”.

vintage_dog wrote:

i hope i didn't start another debate on which speaker is better

BAI, I do agree with VD!

We don't need to go far this way......we just enjoy what we have now.

Maybe you can help me develop an AUDIOPHILE –GRADE BUDS to help us appreciate both Tinos & LS on the same level.

audiobuds 8) 8) 8)
audiobuds
Citizen
Citizen

Postby botching » Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:25 pm

uh oh. . . things are heating up again :)

audio = emotion

audio = passion

audio = logic ? nah! i dont think so :)
botching
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:44 pm

audiobuds wrote: I’ve been to the shop where I bought my LS last night and learnt that the original owner of my LS did come back looking for his old speaker. He traded his LS with SF Minimona due to pressure from his friends to up grade his more than 10 year old speaker. But the shop owner informed him it was already sold to another customer the same day he brought it in. After hearing that, I intentionally stop the conversation for personal reasons.

Kawawa :cry:

I can understand why one would miss the LS. In fact, LS owners want to collect more rather than sell it out.
mozilla

Postby botching » Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:51 pm

mozilla wrote
Kawawa :cry:

at least he had LS for more than 10 years
paano na ako, few days ko lang nakasama ang LS, e di....

LALONG KAWAWA :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

then how do you call those not fortunate enough to have lived with an LS even for a short time?
botching
Citizen
Citizen

Postby deep purple » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:24 pm

bothing ask
then how do you call those not fortunate enough to have lived with an LS even for a short time?

e.di PINAKA KAWAWA :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
biro lang po itong sagot ko.

as a former owner of LS, i belonged to the "Kawawa" group. pero sabi nga it is better to love than never to have loved at all, o di ba?
deep purple

PreviousNext

Return to LS3/5A