The LS3/5A

Postby prcsnpilot » Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:15 pm

vintage_dog wrote:were you with the same group with richard, my co-moderator for the Eico Lovers Club? sayang, i missed that visit due to a conflict in my schedule...maybe next time i can join the next session...

Hi Francis .. sorry for the late response, I have been out of the office for the past few days, have to take care of a client from the US. Yes, that was me together with a Malaysian (Karl), boy, sakit ng paa ko after, consider also that we only covered 20% of the vintage/audio stores there. We had fun, hopefully we can go together next year, this time, I will set aside to listen to John Keungs collection!
prcsnpilot
Citizen
Citizen

LS35a: Over my dead body!

Postby fld » Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:21 pm

If you guys really come to think about it, theres really only one speaker here that we always argue back and forth & its really the LS35a.

Thats probably telling you something about this old speaker design and technology.

Do you guys know of people that owns more than 1 brand of xxx other than the LS35a ? On the other hand, i do know a few who owns up to 25 pairs of the LS35a. Why is that ?

Its because it is a special speaker up to now.

Whether its better or worst than new production speakers, well, just ask the guy who has 25 pairs.

The bottom line, although most of us will not admit it, but the ls35a will always be a special speaker !! most treasured, most cherish. Try asking an LS35a owner if he wants to sell his pair.

I asked James Ichabod a year or two ago, James can I buy your spendor ls 35a at double the price you paid for it. He said "over my dead body". Can one say the same for say "brand x". doubt !
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ichabod » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:09 pm

I don't want to spin anymore comments on the LS save to say that "if ears were made for hearing, then the LS is its own excuse for being."

Honestly guys, there's more to be enjoyed in music, but it's a free country to make any audio also the best part of it!
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby audiobuds » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:42 am

ok guys let's take a break! really funny :lol: :lol:

ITALIAN vs. EUROPEANS

http://pya.cc/cnt2.php?uid=761&PHPSESSI ... 7076ea14f2
audiobuds
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:56 am

audiobuds,

this is really funny! this made my day! :lol: :lol: :lol:

remember, the sonus are italian speakers!
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby mozilla » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:11 am

Pinoy ata ito!? :D :wink:
mozilla

Made my day too.

Postby Mr. Plumber » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:53 am

:wink: Audiobuds,
Thats reaaly a good one.
MP
Mr. Plumber
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ichabod » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:19 am

"Do as the Romans do" is no idle talk!

Good psychology on italiani culture. That was the break we can link up (theme up) all this thread to. Bizarre!
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Audio_Tyro » Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:14 pm

botching wrote:LS is such wonderful speakers that although I’m enjoying my recently acquired tinos (every time I listened to it), and yet the LS is still with me and still hesitating to return it to its owner. I’m not comparing it to the tinos – they’re both great in their own way. LS sounds differently with the tinos. But everytime I hear the LS, it tickles something in me. I just enjoyed listening to LS especially with vocals. With an all tube setup – vocals on LS is just so natural. Clean and clear

I can't help but smile... you're comparing probably a two-decade old LS3/5 to a less-than-one-week old Tino Home. Ano ba yan? Consider yourself lucky you're in Saudi Arabia, and so I can't hack you with my Saber (Sith Lord's weapon)!!! :lol: Pag ako napikon, sasakay ako sa Star Ship destroyer at pasasabugin ko yang Saudi Arabia. :lol:
Audio_Tyro
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rtsyrtsy » Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:24 pm

audiobuds wrote:ok guys let's take a break! really funny :lol: :lol:

ITALIAN vs. EUROPEANS

Lovely, audiobuds! The fact that it's written by an Italian makes it all the more funnier. :D
rtsyrtsy

Postby botching » Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:47 pm

Hack me not Dartht audio_tyro! The empire strikes back in saudi! :)
Whew, returning back the LS and those ARC pre/amps made my life simpler.
The sf tinos is opening up, the mf fcd is almost broken in and yes! The musical fidelity a3 now sounded as it should be – after a week of continous use. I’m gonna keep this a3.
Now I love this setup. What will it sound after a week or two more? I can’t wait.
audiobuds, siguro you once been here. ok naman ang mga sadik natin dito.
botching
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Hyperion » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:26 pm

ok guys let's take a break! really funny

ITALIAN vs. EUROPEANS

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I want to live in Italy! Ang boring sa EU!!!
Hyperion

Postby audiobuds » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:15 pm

Botching wrote:

audiobuds, siguro you once been here. ok naman ang mga sadik natin dito.

‘right Kabayan’, I worked in Riyadh for over a year after the gulf war, then relocated in hongkong. ‘Have good memories auditioning Epos and Martin Logan speakers in Batah & Sullamaniyah. But not lucky enough to bring them home. Glad to hear that you’re now enjoying your Tinos the same time as I’m enjoying my LS. 'not quite sure if you happen to audition the original BBC LS3/5a or only the Spendor LS3/5’s or SE and the like :?: :?: :?:
audiobuds
Citizen
Citizen

Postby botching » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:45 pm

only rogers has dealership dito sa saudi at sa jeddah pa. if u had not been to jeddah you might not have even heard rogers LS in riyadh at the time u were here. i heard kef, spendor and harbeth LS before in friends home. you're lucky nasa hongkong ka at maraming used LS dyan. i'll pass hongkong on the way to manila during my vacation and hopefully see u there,and hear your LS . Matutulungan mo din siguro ako sa pag hunting ng LS dyan.
Enjoy your LS ! :)
botching
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audiobuds » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:18 pm

Botching wrote:

i'll pass hongkong on the way to manila during my vacation and hopefully see u there,and hear your LS . Matutulungan mo din siguro ako sa pag hunting ng LS dyan.

:?: Why you need to hunt for LS :!:

:idea: Why not up grade your Tinos to Cremona – speaker + stand very sexy: I guess you’re a bit home sick now (common to OCW’s) especially your holiday is becoming nearer & nearer.

Try to drop by here during weekends; we do our best to accommodate you. Just prepare your budget - there are many audio stuff to buy here. Huwag ka lang mag dala ng gold bars (if possible US$$$$$) ‘baka mag excess ang bagahe mo.

I do enjoy my LS !:wink:
audiobuds
Citizen
Citizen

Postby EF86 » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:07 pm

hi everyone,

im a newbie in this forum and i have also been away from DIY audio from just about the time the SEs started coming into vogue til now. im surprised that my chartwell 15 ohms has been certified a killer, when i got my pair more 10 years ago, some of my friends actually thought i had a fake LS3/5a since it was not made by rogers. now i have the last laugh!!

anyway had thoroughly enjoyed listening to it with el34s: st70s, pilot. KT66 quad IIs, el84s: sca35, scotts, fishers and a 6bx7 triode amp. also listened to it with 6550/kt88 amps like the mark3, H-K citations but enjoyed it more with the lower powered amps.

am back at hard wiring cuz my younger brother recently discovered tubes and has been bugging me to build him a preamp else he wont return the PAS3 he borrowed from me. hope to learn a lot from you guys and get my PAS back soon.

cheers,
ef86

PS dont ask its not for sale.
EF86

Postby audiobuds » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:16 pm

‘just bought a pair of new speaker stand for my LS - Mission (3 pillar) – 24” and weighs 5.5 kg each without sand. I remember James suggested not to use heavier stand since LS might lose some of its mids. I’m also aware that it all depends on my listening environment. However, I would like to know based on your experience how heavy is heavy? Should there be any alternative materials to fill the stand pillars aside from ordinary sand? I found an original speaker fillet type filling materials but a bit expensive it almost cost me the same as my stand. I’m considering to buy an ordinary pebbles (use for floor finishes) but not quite sure how they will affect the performance of LS speaker.

Any input will be highly appreciated.

Cheers!
:) :)
audiobuds
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audiobuds » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:10 pm

EF86 wrote:

im surprised that my chartwell 15 ohms has been certified a killer, when i got my pair more 10 years ago, some of my friends actually thought i had a fake LS3/5a since it was not made by rogers. now i have the last laugh!!

EF86 - welcome to LS3/5a club!:

Let’s continue enjoy the magic of this little speaker 8)

Mozilla & Ichabod

We’re almost successful in our line up of LS3/5a’s. ‘Hope we could find the Audiomaster and maybe organize another shootout – it’s only my humble opinion.
audiobuds
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:18 pm

Try a combination of sand and lead shot. Dry the sand out in the open for a few days. If you can't find lead shot get small lead weights from your local fishing supply store - cheap.

Yeah let's do a shootour part 2!
mozilla

Postby hypertriode » Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:36 pm

welcome to wiredstate EF86 (you seem to love this pentode very much...),
musta na? tired of restoring vintage cars? congrats for holding on to your chartwells (i have one but only one piece!). there's one pair at e-bay which went for $1,300. i have sold more than a dozen LS3/5a pairs since then but am keeping one: a bi-wired Spendor.
also have a pair of JR-149's for back-up. it uses the same set of drivers but in a cylindrical metal box; jim rogers' baby before he made the bbc monitor. your bro's really INTO tubes; he bought two ST-70's!
hypertriode
Grand Master

PreviousNext

Return to LS3/5A