The LS3/5A

Postby mozilla » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:33 pm

It worked well with the Fase before though I am of the opinion that the LS3/5A is better suited to PP tube amps.

That's my personal preference.
:wink:
mozilla

Postby dean » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:08 pm

oh btw mozilla, we have the same brand - spendor 11 ohm :)
dean

Postby vintage_dog » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:50 am

i've split this thread and put the OT discussions into the etcetera forums...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby rajan » Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:27 pm

Jo Ki (Malaysian LS3/5a enthusiast) has also endorsed a Bryston B60 with the LS. One more SS amp to add to the list.
rajan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:35 pm

Rajan,

Long time no hear. What's keeping you busy?
mozilla

Postby rajan » Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:49 pm

mozilla wrote:Rajan,

Long time no hear. What's keeping you busy?

Oh, family and work. Nothing special. Hope to nurse some cracked nerves.
rajan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:21 am

Just added to the ls3/5a site. Photos of the worl'd most extensive LS3/5a collection.

Photographs of John Keung's LS3/5a Collection
mozilla

Postby audiobuds » Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:45 pm

Hi Sir Moz,

I've just seen the KEF black piano finish (limited edition) selling at HK$8,800. Trying to contact the seller if possible to audition. Also, a freind told me that he knew somebody wants to sell his Harbeth (golden tweeter). I'am considering to buy one if condition is ok. Based on your PERSONAL opinion... which one you must recommend?
I'm using all tube set-up (30 Watts integrated amp & cdp). Honestly speaking, I can't resist the sound quality when I first heard the Rogers LS3/5a pairing with Jadis integrated. But the shop owner won't sell it to me. :cry: :cry: :cry:

thanks for your personal views.

audiobuds
audiobuds
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:27 pm

Both the Kef Piano Black & Harbeth gold have a more modern, tighter sound unlike the Rogers which has a smooth natural presentation.

The LS3/5a needs a long burn-in period so the older units generally are supposed to give a better sound.

Make sure you do the box test when you try them out.

Let us know how it goes. Maybe the other LS3 fanatics can help out here... :)
mozilla

Postby joe3rp » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:21 pm

mozilla wrote:Make sure you do the box test when you try them out.

Sir,

What is a "box test"? :?
joe3rp
Fanatic
Fanatic

Box Test

Postby mozilla » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:37 pm

Sir Joey,

The Box test is a simple but tried & tested method done by BBC R&D engineers to confirm that the LS3/5A box is sealed properly. It is done by gently pressing the bass driver inwards (towards the cabinet).

Paul Whatton describes it best --while pressing the driver, "It should move slowly and with some difficulty, as the box equalises to the compressed air. On release it should move back outwards to its rest position slowly, almost reluctantly. If it moves out quickly (or instantly) you have a sealing problem. ... many KW people thought it to be the critical factor - the boxes that did best on this test tended to sound best (taking for granted that everything else was to spec.) "

A leaky cabinet that is resealed properly will according to Paul, give a "change in sound was (that is) very pronounced. I was prepared for the speakers to sound more controlled (which they did) and for everything to be tightened up. But the greatest improvement, and one that suprised me, was to the stereo imaging and soundstage."

Warning! You do this at your own risk. "
" :D
mozilla

Re: Box Test

Postby joe3rp » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:01 pm

mozilla wrote:The Box test Warning!

You do this at your own risk. "
" :D

Thanks for the education, sir

I suppose an educated LS3/5a seller will allow test like this....or will even do the test himself to show the superb condition!

And I also suppose you don't do this to the tweeter.. :twisted: Any seller will kill you :D
joe3rp
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mozilla » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:13 pm

Normally, sealing problems are a result of age. Most people use sealing tape or modelling clay. Blue tak has been tried with great success except it' s now difficult to open up the baffle again. Lagot!
:D
mozilla

Witch is the better LS?

Postby ichabod » Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:26 pm

Believe you me it's like witch hunting. There's no witch and you know it.

But wait there might be.

At least that's what others say. That there are differences between brands on these speakers -- the LS 3/5a.

Any how what is known are these:

Fact 1. You need long periods of break in. Some say the least is three years for the speakers to loosen some to attain a much more deeper soundstage and a beefier robust holographic sound. Bass tends to get deeper as the soundimage deepens, creating a more dimensional space within the recording. Midrange is to die for! From three years to ten it keeps on improving! TheLS is like old wine, the older the better!

Fact 2. All LS brands are as good as any. There are differences but the ball park sound of the LS is there. It is there! Presence, detail, midrange clarity, an extended treble that keeps the images in proper focus is there.

Fact 3. There's little truth or no truth that the 15 ohms can better the 11 ohms. Only the 15 ohms may sound good on a 300b or any single ended. The shootout by Ken Kessler gave the Harbeth LS 3/5a first place, followed by the much vaunted Chartwell 15 ohmers. Rogers lacquered (heavier cabs) was third over the regular 15 ohm spendor. But the rest of the results gave the 11 ohmers most of the places. As Ken said, if this were a derby or team between the 11 and 15 ohmers, the 11 ohmers were the obvious winners.

Fact4. The american version of the shootout done in the US declared that all their LS's were indeed nice sounding and there were several brands. What made the difference was on the amplification.

Fact 5. You won't go wrong buying any brand 'cause all of them uses the standard drive units of the BBC -- Kef drivers.

Hope this helps, fire away!
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:41 pm

Harbeth LS 3/5a

who has this?
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby mozilla » Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:17 pm

Note that there were 4 versions made by Harbeth:

Harbeth 11 ohm
Harbeth 11 ohm Gold Pro (rosewood cabinet, gold plated grille tweeter)
Harbeth 11 ohm Gold Special Edition (ebony cabinet, gold plated grille tweeter)
Harbeth Alan Shaw Signature Edition

The one that won the Ken Kessler LS3/5A shootlout was the old 11ohm, single wire version. This was second only to the original BBC badged monitor. Note also that there was never a 15ohm; or 11ohm bi-wired harbeth except for the special editions.
mozilla

Re: Witch is the better LS?

Postby mozilla » Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:08 pm

ichabod wrote: The shootout by Ken Kessler gave the Harbeth LS 3/5a first place, followed by the much vaunted Chartwell 15 ohmers.

RARE Chartwell 15ohmers up on ebay! Bilis na! 5 days to go.... :twisted:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3053091385&category=3276
mozilla

Postby audiobuds » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:59 pm

mozilla wrote:

Make sure you do the box test when you try them out.

Let us know how it goes. Maybe the other LS3 fanatics can help out here...

First of all, thanks for all the support Sir Moz!

Icahabod wrote:

Fact 5. You won't go wrong buying any brand 'cause all of them uses the standard drive units of the BBC -- Kef drivers.

Hope this helps, fire away!

Thanks also Sir Icahabod!

Don't worry I still got this burning desire to own these speakers - sooner or later. The odds are against me right now 'coz the KEF limited edition is currently reserved to a nice guy... unfortunately that nice guy was'nt me :x :x :x . For the Harbeth, still waiting for a response from the seller.

Any other method to test these speakers aside of course hooking it up on my system? Break-in would not be a big problem 'coz 'am buying it 2nd hand. I believe the seller used it for years already. Anyway I'll keep you posted for any developments.
audiobuds
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Witch is the better LS?

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:42 pm

mozilla wrote:
ichabod wrote: The shootout by Ken Kessler gave the Harbeth LS 3/5a first place, followed by the much vaunted Chartwell 15 ohmers.

RARE Chartwell 15ohmers up on ebay! Bilis na! 5 days to go.... :twisted:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3053091385&category=3276

auction says this is a kit...okay, didn't know ls3/5a had kits...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby mozilla » Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:28 am

Chartwells were available as both factory assembled pairs and as kits for "BBC
staff".

The factory pairs had the Charwell labels. The "kits" were distributed exclusively for BBC staff only & was under a program called "Project Symphony". The speakers
generally look the same although the crossover wiring will be different due to the DIY nature of the "kits".

Paul Whatton (admin of the ls3/5a site & son of one of the original BBC R&D engineers ) attested that a pair of properly constructed and sorted (tuned) Chartwell Project Symphony's sounds every bit as good as it's commercial counterpart.

In fact it was his personal Chartwell "kit" that was submitted to Ken Kessler and placed 2nd in KK's shootout. :)

Ask the other LS3/5A guru Mr. Hypertriode. We talked about the Charwells a few weeks back & he will tell you that he had a pair before and he has heard nothing quite like it! :)
mozilla

PreviousNext

Return to LS3/5A