Pinoy LS3/5A Gallery

Postby ichabod » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:05 am

This makes mypoint about subs and most recording materials. If you're bent into subterrenean music, church organ and the likes, you would need those. Of course it would be nice to have them ready all the time when the need arises, but the energy they generate will always reinforce something to the bass hump loaded balance of the LS I think.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby stefan lim » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:32 am

Hee Hee I like the term "bent". Personally I feel The LS35a is a stand alone speaker system in itself, based on the wide range of music I listen to.

However necessity dictates I use a sub once in awhile to get the feel of Bach's organ works or to enjoy the sheer presence of some of them Putomayo recordings and Techno Trance music around.

In the end, a safe position would probably be " Better to have a "proper" sub around with the LS and not use it .. than not to have one when you need it"

Adios for now Amigo's
stefan lim

Postby ichabod » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:54 am

I missed that word again that should have gone with it "hell!"

Reminds of what Sam Tellig once said: "I'm not sure I see anything wrong with equipment -- speakers, amps, whatever -- that sometimes makes the music more real than it perhaps actually is." Let's go figure.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ichabod » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:10 am

My goodness, I've never seen so many LSs for sale on Ebay. There are I think 3 pairs f rogers and one pair of spendors. Take the plunge or forever hold thy peace. That is to paraphrase Ken Kessler's immortal words on the LS 3/5a.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mb88 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:15 pm

WS User: mb88

LS3/5A shown: Spectrum LS3/5a (The Radio People) Sp 1003/T27
Stands: 29" (30") Lovan
AB-1: (if any) None

Power Amp: McIntosh MC 2105 (105wpc)
Preamp: McIntosh C32
Source: Sony CD Player CDP 227 ESD/Pioneer 25 disc changer
Cables: Quantum/generic
Others: Abflectors on extended demo and evaluation

Remarks: I prefer it paired with the MC2105 as against the newer MC7270 (270wpc). It has a warmer and richer sound. Better clarity and bass output closer to the backwall (12 to 18 inches) The very large sound from these small speakers can fill up my approx 35sqm room. Bass response probably goes down to 50hz region due to room gain. Sounds good at any distance but I like listening to it from more than 12 feet away

(update: 12/11/2007)
The Abflectors enhanced imaging, tightened and collected the bass, and increased the height of the soundstage in this set up. Speakers are now positioned closer to my listening position (approx. 3ft from the back wall), yet i get the desired bass output that it previously lacked this far from the wall
Last edited by mb88 on Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
mb88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SoLiDtUbEs » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:19 pm

The Spectrum at 50Hz is not a bad deal!
Congrats on your setup :)
SoLiDtUbEs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mb88 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:24 am

SoLiDtUbEs wrote:The Spectrum at 50Hz is not a bad deal!
Congrats on your setup :)

Thanks! It is a pair probably made in the 80s and it was previously paired with Quad 405IIs. Bass is well defined probably because it is already well broken in. Moreover, I use a fat sounding vintage amp with a lot of spare (105 watts) to drive them.

OT: Borrowed the Abflectors from a friend in the other forum selling his. Thought they would look cool as "Abdecors". Didn't expect them to introduce improvements save for aesthetic enhancement of the tiny speakers against my bare walls. However, after moving them around with the help of a friend, I can say it indeed enhanced the sound quality of the Spectrum. I guess I hit two birds with less pesos :)
mb88
Citizen
Citizen

Previous

Return to LS3/5A