ls3/5a father and son shootout!

Postby JackD201 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:41 am

Gambs, I'll confess. I've been looking for a while now. Most of the ones I've come by are the worse for wear. After all, sane people tend not to let go of good specimens. I talked to Ferdie L. about his Stirls nga but with my kinda big payable with ihatejazz and the shipment of Von Schweikert speakers coming in next month baka by April, I'll get fld's kung nandoon pa to add to the mini-monitor collection. I'm more inclined toward Harbeths though since the "mini" room is too small to move the speakers very far from the walls and since the Harbeths have tamed the peaks a bit they're a better candidate for that room.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby cia » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:23 am

Hi Jackd201,

I heard from another source of your involvement in Von Schweikert speakers. Pwede bang father and son in law audition of those speakers. Of course only those that will not cost as much as a condo. Thanks.

I met somebody who has a Harbeth LS35A, a friend of Jerry P. But I dont know if he interested in selling them.

CIA
cia
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:33 pm

Anytime boss, they should be here in a couple of weeks, all I have set up now is the VR-4 Special Edition, I'll invite the father and son dynamic duo after George and I set up the Aries2. The VR-1s are very tube friendly at 8 ohms throughout and not pricey at all.

If that guy is interested in selling them, I'm interested in buying. :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby cia » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:50 pm

The dynamic duo thank you in advance. Come to think of it, based on height pwede ng kaming batman and robin. I will stop na at off topic na. Thanks again.

CIA
cia
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:36 am

:lol: Cool Boss :lol:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby handyboy » Mon May 15, 2006 10:16 pm

Jack,

MVA has a harbeth already. hmmmm....naunahan ka!
handyboy
Pound for Pound

Postby JackD201 » Mon May 15, 2006 10:42 pm

Yeah. he swapped something gold and shiny for it a few months ago LUCKY (&^^(&%^%!!!!

:lol:

Ok lang basta si mva walang problema :D
JackD201
Immortal

Postby handyboy » Mon May 15, 2006 10:49 pm

Yup he did!!!
handyboy
Pound for Pound

Postby JackD201 » Mon May 15, 2006 10:54 pm

To rub it in he'll lend me any of his LS' daw except the Harbeth! Bwahahahaha!

ALASKADOR!
JackD201
Immortal

ls35a for adoption

Postby mva » Tue May 16, 2006 1:08 am

Jack,

The Harbeth is ready for your pick-up and "temporary" adoption....It would certainly be an honor to lend them your ears. I actually have not run them for some time....they would appreciate the burn in time.

Regards,

Mike

P.S. Belated Happy Mothers Day to Marge.
mva
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Tue May 16, 2006 2:23 am

Thanks Mike :) I'll take good care of them for you.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby ichabod » Tue May 16, 2006 8:42 am

Saw your post about the LS harbeth, I believe the brand LS you're looking for. I'd be all ears to hear about what you think this time around about them speakers. Curious here. What amps will you be driving them with?

It's been a long while since I heard some post in this thread on the LS. I've not been listening to my spendors myself. My alternative speakers hooked to a fisher x 100b are the Rogers Studio 3. Sounds a lot like the LS 3/5A too that I don't get to miss them LS anymore --at least in my dreams!
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: ls35a for adoption

Postby cia » Tue May 16, 2006 9:35 am

mva wrote:
I actually have not run them for some time....they would appreciate the burn in time.

Hi MVA,
Just curious...did you get the Harbeths locally and are they new since you state burn in time. If you need further help burning in the Harbeths, I am only a stone throw away and I am also burning in capacitors and speaker wires. Further curiousity..... how they will sound compared to the Rogers 15 ohm. No shoot out being contemplated but a friendly sound comparison.
cia
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Tue May 16, 2006 10:46 am

James,

Maybe mva will lend me his MC225's na rin :roll: :lol:
JackD201
Immortal

Re: ls35a for adoption

Postby mva » Fri May 19, 2006 3:20 am

cia wrote:
mva wrote:
I actually have not run them for some time....they would appreciate the burn in time.

Hi MVA,
Just curious...did you get the Harbeths locally and are they new since you state burn in time. If you need further help burning in the Harbeths, I am only a stone throw away and I am also burning in capacitors and speaker wires. Further curiousity..... how they will sound compared to the Rogers 15 ohm. No shoot out being contemplated but a friendly sound comparison.

Hi Cia,

I was very fortunate to pick up my Harbeths about 8 months ago locally from a fine gentleman through the old fashion way of barter trading. The Harbeths were not NOS, but certainly was in prestine condition. In my opinion the speakers...perhaps did not get enough play time considering the vast number of legendary speakers the gentleman possesed. The so called "10 year" break in period may not have been completed. I have no objections to lending them to you....perhaps after Jack D. samples them. It has always been a dream for me to own a 15 ohm Rogers and would be very curious to find out how it holds up with a White Belly.

Regards,

Mike
mva
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mva » Fri May 19, 2006 3:35 am

Hi Jack,

The Mc 225 is an excellent match for the Harbeths or for any LS35A for that matter. Would certainly lend them to you as well but it is currently being adopted by our friend Tonydog....using the Mac to drive his Decca tweaters. However, I have a pair of Mark VIs that I can lend you just the same of you wish to listen to them on EL34s tubes.......

Will being going out of town on Saturday for the next two weeks......Let me know how I can send them to you.

Mike
mva
Citizen
Citizen

Postby marty_e » Fri May 19, 2006 9:09 am

Mike, I can bring them to Jack. I'm scheduled for a visit anyway soon.
marty_e
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ichabod » Mon May 22, 2006 9:32 am

Sorry for this late post on the Mc 225. They say that's one of the best sounding Mc. I'm pretty sure it's a good match Jack. I drive my LS and studio 3 Rogers with a fisher using a similar tube. This Mc is on 7591s. My fisher is on 7868 novar tubes. The same tubes I think, so you'll have enough power to drive them if you haven't listened or confirmed this already.

Anyhow, what I only wanted to suggest in your listening is to also try the LS really nearfield. Even closer than what is commonly suggested. Less than 6 feet spread, but not lesser than five though in a small room of course, and see what you may not have "heard" at this distance. I find the closer field quite engrossing it's giving big floorstanders a rival; like it's all music and the soundfield, approaching earphone type of thing presence.

This is a little off, but would like to thank CIA for his gracious invitation to his beautiful home and nice sounding rig. Finally I'm able to hear such an expensive speakers as the Dyns 25 Anniversary being driven by an AR tube amp. OTA speaker cables turned out "right" in terms of tonal presence, tigher bass, more texture which spells some inner detail to the sound. With a formidable rig as yours, one can easily forget the sometimes (often?) torturous part about upgrading. Grant was kind to take us both to CIA's place, and his'.

Finally, the Quad 57s. Thanks bai for giving me back some of the music. I find them less obtuse in comparison to dynamic speakers. Truly, there's a listening spot one needs to position himself as I did, and then all else turned celestial that evening. I think one won't be able to find a better speaker in that glorious midband being complimented by a charming tweeter that never sounds harsh or too openly dispersed to call itself attention to. To me, it translates to a more precise level of sound dispersion that makes music very listenable indeed on both the Quad II amps and the newly acquired fisher SA16. The real treat to these speakers I think is its uncanny ability to give the listener a pleasantly controlled sound that keeps it honest and natural to the recording despite what "colorations" a microphone might do. If it's a kind of coloration the Quads do after passing the microphones, I like it in the same natural breath as the LS 3/5A.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Mon May 22, 2006 10:44 am

Raffy treated me to that nearfield experience in his second system some time back with his ST-70 I'm hoping I can swig by sometime soon to hear it again with his Quad IIs. I enjoyed it very very much.

mva's Mc 225s are beauties indeed, very dimensional yet in no way lacking in the balls department. I heard these at Marty E's driving VR-2s.

These experiences are what brought about my request to mva ( now dubbed Manila's Vintage Aesthete ;) ) to loan me this combo.

Too bad Tonydog beat me to the 225s!

Next time............
JackD201
Immortal

Postby ichabod » Mon May 22, 2006 3:46 pm

I suspect you'll find more pleasure in the Mc 225 or Pilot SA 232, or any fisher amp you can grab using the same tubes as the Mc.

There'll be more tension to the music (a livier presence) with these amps.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to LS3/5A