ls3/5a father and son shootout!

Postby handyboy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:05 am

Hey Jack,

Its really cool actually! When it comes to talking about music and audio, for some reason i dont see him as my dad in law. I see him as an audio freak like me! After all, he created a monster in me. I dont think a trade willl be happening soon. he is very well attached to his rogers. When are you getting one? or do you have one secretly?
handyboy
Pound for Pound

Postby JackD201 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:19 am

If i had one already I wouldn't keep it secret. Or would I? Hehehehehe.

Tito CIA, freak ka raw bawiin mo na si Cindy. :lol:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby mozilla » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:31 am

Jack,

For some reason, the LS3/5A likes a lot of room to breathe. If I set them up on the long wall, mine are are 6.2' away from the wall behind them.

If I set them up along the short wall, the wall behind them are 12.5' away from the wall behind them! Yes no kidding. The bass is still full and tuneful, the mids full bodied & clear but the soundstage depth is cavernous.

The first time I heard this setup was at James'. Right off the opening notes of first track from Kornets Har Sin Vila, There's A Wideness In God's Mercy, you will immediately feel the depth and height of the cathedral's vaulted ceiling where the recording was made. Eerie but puts a grin on your lips.

For OB Vans, the BBC recommended that the LS be 1M from the listener and toed in but for home use, the LS need a lot of free space to breathe. In the home environment, efforts should be made to ensure that there are
no early reflections from any of the room boundaries. The bass hump ensures that you'll still get that full-bodied tone even without wall reinforcement. Ordinary monitors will sound wimpy when setup this way.

With the LS relatively free from room boundaries, it will throw a 3D holgraphic soundstage. You will hear the spatial information as it is recorded.
Last edited by mozilla on Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
mozilla

Postby mozilla » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:39 am

Gamby,

I've heard the LS3/5A on several stands including mega-buck ones. Tall stands are my preference based on my listening position. Not only do they free up the mids by reducing floor to speaker interaction but to a much larger extent, it really is because of the woofer & tweeter integration.

Stereophile reported that "the outputs of the two drivers remain integrated as long as the listener is between the woofer axis and the top of the cabinet. Above and below that range a crossover suckout develops, but the severity of the suckout above the speaker implies that tall stands are best."

One more thing LS users should be aware of. They sound better with the grills on than off.

Happy listening.
mozilla

Postby mozilla » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:57 am

As a follow up to my earlier post on speaker placement, the LS is best heard nearfield. The more room behind it the better. At least from my experience.

One thing I noted though throught my experiments. Make sure your listening position is quite near the wall behind you. Ive tried moving away from this back wall and though the LS threw a finely focused image, the mid-lo bass just disappeared.

The LS is also very sensitive to minute movements in placement. Try moving them about 1" at a time as you finetune.
mozilla

Postby ichabod » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:37 am

To answer Jack's, Ferdie's LS when he was still listening to them was way forward from the front wall. For some reason, they sounded better. Mine were more than 7 feet away but close enough to the side walls (several feet to the side but not even). MY listening is close to the wall with a normal cushion set spread around plus a round table with glass top in between the speakers which are spread 6 feet apart woof to woof. That was the former. Very engaging and expressive speakers at those distances. Now I have a long wall set-up, and still get on with the same sound. Speakers are but 40 inches way from the front wall but are less dependent on side walls. Amp's bass still at zero and I get a lucid midband without losing the base.

The thing is if you know the speaker's sonics vis-a-vis a certain room dimension (and it should be appropriate to the speakers' senz., size, and a good amp to drive it, etc) you have a set of speakers in the LS that can rival floor standers where it's good at!

I agree with the above that little increments in placement can mean some difference in sound. MOve it close than 6 feet can you get all midrange on these speakers. Miss a few centimeters from a straight parallel set-up, and you lose some focus and coherence to its sound.

The limeys on OB vans I guess had more important things to attend to than getting these speakers to sound right Jack.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby cia » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:51 am

JackD201 wrote:If i had one already I wouldn't keep it secret. Or would I? Hehehehehe.

Tito CIA, freak ka raw bawiin mo na si Cindy. :lol:

Unfortunately even Cindy thinks Gamby and I are audio freaks. Fortunately when Gamby and I talk about audio, our wives dont listen and therefore dont get to hear acquisition prices. By the way Gamby, you almost divulged the price on my amp.

I am happy with my Rogers. Gamby will be happy with his Spendors but I just dont know for how long.
cia
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:04 am

You two can either protect or blackmail each other so on with the audio purchases! :twisted:
mozilla

Postby cia » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:24 am

mozilla wrote:You two can either protect or blackmail each other so on with the audio purchases! :twisted:

Maybe that is why father and son in law get along.....we know the acquisition prices of all audio equipment including interconnects which would be very disturbing information if our wives get to know.

Thanks Mozilla for the Rogers pics you posted. For the information of the others, I am using a Mozilla foreplay preamp, Dynaco ST70 with Auricaps installed by Mozilla, Mozilla silver interconnects and a Mozilla CAT 5 speaker wires to complement the Rogers.
cia
Citizen
Citizen

Postby handyboy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:07 am

Moz,

I rather protect. more to lose if i blackmail.

Jack,

Walang hiya ka! nanggatong ka pa.

Cia,

did i almost divulge the price? where?
handyboy
Pound for Pound

Postby Donlovejoy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:09 am

Hey Gambyl,

Congrats on your spendor, ganda nyan ah! post mo naman pics ng system mo. :lol:
Donlovejoy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:00 pm

Gambs, Hahahahahaha! di na mauulit!

Moz, Ichabod

The common factor that shed clarity on my query is that you both listen NEARFIELD. So, cool, i understand perfectly now. Maybe we should point out to our other friends here that the RFZ speaker placement recommended requires nearfield sitting positions. Baka lang may ma-lito. Thanks guys.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby ichabod » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:33 pm

Hope this ain't another shoot-out!
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:35 pm

Ok lang basta it isn't over a parking lot. Ooops. :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby mozilla » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:39 pm

Did you guys take any (pot) shots of your shootout? Gamby, post pics of your LS in the LS Gallery.
mozilla

Postby handyboy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:22 pm

Hi moz!

Dont know how to post pics. can i send it to your email again? whats your working email?

Donlovejoy!

Thanks...may bagong baby na ako. will try to post sometime. di ako marunong eh.

Actually we should organize a listening session for all ls35a owners. not a shootout but more of a hang out so we can discuss our experience with our babies. What you think Moz and ichabod? sounds good?

jack!

bili ka na!
handyboy
Pound for Pound

Postby mozilla » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:28 pm

Gamby just send it to the email add on my WS profile
mozilla

Postby zetroce » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:30 pm

gambyl wrote:
Actually we should organize a listening session for all ls35a owners. not a shootout but more of a hang out so we can discuss our experience with our babies. What you think Moz and ichabod? sounds good?

Agree ako diyan sir. Maganda yang suggestion mo. :)

Cheers! 8)
zetroce
Master
Master

Postby mozilla » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:34 pm

Mukhang we will gain a few pounds after that session ah.... :wink:
mozilla

Postby handyboy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:25 pm

Ok na si zetroce!

Moz, not only will we gain pounds but knowledge. How many Ls35a owners do you think are active?
handyboy
Pound for Pound

PreviousNext

Return to LS3/5A