Amplifier tap for 11 ohm LS3/5A

Amplifier tap for 11 ohm LS3/5A

Postby zetroce » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:20 am

What should be the tapping on my amplifier if i will be using an 11 ohm LS3/5A? Should it be 8 or 16 ohms?

If both are possible, which one would you recommend?

Hope to hear from the experts.

Thanks! :)
zetroce
Master
Master

Postby noctilux » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:25 pm

zetroce,

the 8 ohm tap always sounds better to me with my tube amps. I've connected the 3/5A's to the 8 ohm tap. 11 ohms is nominal but this goes up and down with frequency.
good luck, mukang bago yata yang speaks mo.

rgds
noct
noctilux
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zetroce » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:29 pm

noctilux wrote:zetroce,

the 8 ohm tap always sounds better to me with my tube amps. I've connected the 3/5A's to the 8 ohm tap. 11 ohms is nominal but this goes up and down with frequency.
good luck, mukang bago yata yang speaks mo.

rgds
noct

Latest addition to my speakers. BTW, how are the Heybrooks?

Thanks for the info.

Cheers! :)
zetroce
Master
Master

Postby prcsnpilot » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:16 am

zetroce .. depends on what amp you are using, in my experience, it sounded better on the 16 tap of my Dyna ST70, and 8 ohm tap of my eico and pilot amps ... try both and hear for yourself which tap sounds better. btw, what LS3/5A are you using? thanks & regards
prcsnpilot
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zetroce » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:26 am

prcsnpilot wrote:zetroce .. depends on what amp you are using, in my experience, it sounded better on the 16 tap of my Dyna ST70, and 8 ohm tap of my eico and pilot amps ... try both and hear for yourself which tap sounds better. btw, what LS3/5A are you using? thanks & regards

Thanks for the info. I'm using a Rogers 11 ohms manufactured in 1990. I'll try it on my vintage amps, due to arrive end of this month. I'm also expecting an ST70 and an Eico ST-40. Both are stock and no modifications whatsoever.

I'm currently using a TB2A3 on 8 ohms tap. So far, i am enjoying the sound i'm getting from the LS3/5A.

Thanks and regards. :)
zetroce
Master
Master

Postby ichabod » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:50 am

The st 40 is a very good amp on the LS 3/5a. It rivals my fisher x 100b using 7868 tubes. The 7591s on the St 40 eico are the same "audio" tubes as the 7868s. Another good amp on the LS would be the Stromberg 220. It's a fav of mine! It uses 6v6s. Enjoy.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby zetroce » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:32 am

ichabod wrote:The st 40 is a very good amp on the LS 3/5a. It rivals my fisher x 100b using 7868 tubes. The 7591s on the St 40 eico are the same "audio" tubes as the 7868s. Another good amp on the LS would be the Stromberg 220. It's a fav of mine! It uses 6v6s. Enjoy.

Thanks James. Most definitely i will enjoy them. Hope you won't mind if i bug you from time to time to ask some more questions about them vintage gears when they arrive. I can't wait to get my hands on them already.

zetroce
Master
Master

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:57 pm

zetroce wrote:....I'll try it on my vintage amps, due to arrive end of this month. I'm also expecting an ST70 and an Eico ST-40. Both are stock and no modifications whatsoever.

both are very good amps, but i prefer the eico st70 (35wpc) over the st40 (20wpc) driving th eless sensitive LS3/5A. the st70's octal drivers, additional power (35wpc vs 20wpc) and bigger OPTs provide even greater and fuller ooomph and midrange magic. don't get me wrong, the st40 is a great integrated amp, it's just a matter of personal preference. once you have them both give them a listen, and let us know which you prefer. i still have my st70 but have not been able to listen to them lately.

btw, the st70/st40 has a circuit flaw. there is a mod posted and discussed at the eico yahoo forum. i applied the mod and it is a must. so, as stock without that mod, the amp does not sound as good as it should!

also, a stock amp may need a lot of tlc...check the caps, pots and tubes...get matched ones and NOS if you can find them..

iceman borrowed the amp sometime back. not sure if he actually tried them :-)....it's back with me and you are free to try them or check them out with the mods i did on them...

good luck...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby zetroce » Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:41 pm

vintage_dog wrote:btw, the st70/st40 has a circuit flaw. there is a mod posted and discussed at the eico yahoo forum. i applied the mod and it is a must. so, as stock without that mod, the amp does not sound as good as it should!

also, a stock amp may need a lot of tlc...check the caps, pots and tubes...get matched ones and NOS if you can find them..

iceman borrowed the amp sometime back. not sure if he actually tried them :-)....it's back with me and you are free to try them or check them out with the mods i did on them...

good luck...

Francis,

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to look for the said mods and see if i can do it on the Eico ST-40. Hope you won't mind if i borrow your Eico ST-70 when my unit arrives so i can make the comparison.

How about my Dynaco ST-70, is it necessary to modify it as well? I bought both units stock thinking that it is better to have them that way and they are indeed better sounding as is. Both are arriving end of the month so i want to be ready for any modifications they have to go through and how much i still have to shell out to enjoy them.
:(

BTW, OT, In one of the threads here, i read that you were looking for a Nikon D70. I recently bought mine in Singapore and i believe i got it much cheaper than what is being offered locally 'coz i got back the GST at the airport. I bought the kit for S$2050, and got a refund of S$80 for the GST. So i paid roughly Php 65,000 for the kit. Try to PM Ronnie if he can get you one. :wink:
zetroce
Master
Master

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:31 am

z,

the thread on dynaco discusses the pros/cons of modifying the dynaco st70 plus mods folks have tried on them. check them out...

on the d70, that's a good price. i'll consider that as an option...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Return to LS3/5A