Baby sitting a Spendor S3/5

Baby sitting a Spendor S3/5

Postby arnoldc » Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:13 am

For the second time, I'm baby sitting a Spendor S3/5 for the owner until he is ready to take it (currently in Australia).

I'm driving it with my JE Labs 2A3 and a new TB 2A3 revision 2 with improved gain... it was able to handle most music i threw into it... from Classical to Classic Rock... it has this signature that continues to puzzle me... seems like "acquired taste" and reminded me of the Audience Au24 effect on my system when i tried it... warmth.

Now, this is the only time that baby sitting is real enjoyable :D
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby audiobuds » Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:07 pm

take it from MASTER arnoldc :!: :!:

glad to know you're enjoying it. 'though it's the cousin of legendary BBC LS/35a (drivers, circuitry & etc are different) somehow the vintage speaker has some influence in the overall design.

Of course I've got a lot of respect on TB 2AE3 revision 2.
audiobuds
Citizen
Citizen

Babysitting

Postby jay_cee_em » Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:31 pm

:)

That's one fun thing to do - babysitting those Spendors :wink:

... so when are you getting your own 'baby' ? 8)
jay_cee_em
Citizen
Citizen

Spendor

Postby Mr. Plumber » Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:28 pm

:) Like Sir ArnoldC, babysitting/auditioning a pair of Spendor LS3/5A with option to buy. Doing A/B comparison with my resident bookshelf Infinity Reference 2000.1. Wifey & kids' initial comment; "calm, light & easy to listen to".
:) MP :)
Mr. Plumber
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audiobuds » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:06 am

Mr. Plumber wrote:

Like Sir ArnoldC, babysitting/auditioning a pair of Spendor LS3/5A with option to buy. Doing A/B comparison with my resident bookshelf Infinity Reference 2000.1. Wifey & kids' initial comment; "calm, light & easy to listen to".
MP

Glad to know that you’ve given this opportunity to audition these little speakers at home!

I’m sure you can give your own personal impression on them. Have much respect on your pair of “Golden Ears”. Probably acquiring them goes along with AGE :lol: :lol: ….I mean audio experience and technical know-how.

I’ve also learned the price is unbeatable.
audiobuds
Citizen
Citizen

Postby arnoldc » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:39 am

hmmm, growing number of baby sitters :D
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby marty_e » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:17 am

Strange cos I also babysat a pair of Spendor 11 ohm ls3/5a's last week. Fellow WS member Raffy needed to be relieved of clutter in his ever growing system in his music room. Unfortunately, no option to buy. :x A-B'd it with another speaker known for its midrange magic, the Spica TC-60. The ls sweet, fluid vocal presentation can't be beat but the Spica had a more complete package with deeper lows.
marty_e
Fanatic
Fanatic

Babes

Postby Mr. Plumber » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:42 am

:) Thank you for the kind words audiobuds. Golden Ears? nah. Yes, i have something in my ears that looks like it though.

I'll be baby sitting the second pair of the 5 that Chris have in two weeks time. Its the one with the missing grill (suspected of being mangled by his cat) and with a small "bungi" on the top right front corner. Its a Rogers 15 Ohms unit SN 00311XX. Maybe thats the one we can audition in your flat. Also has an option to buy this second pair.

I have the opportunity to see his 5 last Saturday plus 1 from his friend. The one that i mentioned to you that has the glue come out of the center cone cover. I did not get to hear the Chartwell "naka kulambo pa". The KEF Piano Black Finish was the one playing when we arrived. But with 8 guys in that impromptu audition in a small room with at least 5 talking about their new 300Ds' & 10Ds', things just did not pan out well. After that, i've met Ronald, the bro Russel for a mini tube crawl in Sham Shui Po & Mongkok.

MP
Mr. Plumber
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audiobuds » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:30 pm

Mr. Plumber wrote:

The one that i mentioned to you that has the glue come out of the center cone cover. I did not get to hear the Chartwell "naka kulambo pa".

Please tell Chris I'm more than willing to baby-sit his friend's Rogers 15 ohm with glue-like stain over the cone. Many claimed that they're different from normal 15ohmers. But what I've read from unofficial ls3/5a website - no difference compared to other Rogers 15ohmers (any members could further comment on this??)

Pag ako ang nag alaga niyan lininisin ko pati yan' glue para magmukhang bago :? :D
audiobuds
Citizen
Citizen

Postby botching » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:45 pm

yes another babysitter here :)
In my case arnoldc I was forced to baby sitting (medyo kasi feminine itong trabaho na ito) or rather adopting a pair of epos es 11 and nad 3020 amp soon to be orphaned coz my kumpadre and officemate deep purple who was fortunate to have received just recently his canadian visa and will be going to the land of coincident triump, etc. after much persuassion at kinunsensiya sa pinagsamahan namin for many years dito sa saudi have agreed to donate these gears to me. 8)
Ang swerte nga naman kahit di mo hanapin, dumarating - i mean for my pare deep purple going to canada :D
botching
Citizen
Citizen

Babysitting again

Postby Mr. Plumber » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:45 am

:) :) Baby sitting a pair of Rogers 15 Ohmer together with a Cayin Super 12 Amp. Initial comment is a just WOW. This early, can only discern small but present difference between my resident Spendor. Has option to buy this pair. Serial Number is 00308XX. This got me concerned because of the pseudo 15 Ohmers that has been rumored around that range of Serial Numbers. Any input on this will be highly appreciated.

Also, never realized even a very old LS1 can sound very sweet with a Cayin Super 12. Tube complement; 12X7, 12AU7 (2), EL84 (4), 5AR4.
This evening will test the Super 12 with my Infinity & later the Celeston.

Too bad i'm only given until Wednesday (before the lunar new year holiday) to decide on the Rogers & Super 12.

If I get lucky, will pickup another set of Spendor from an acquaintance this evening for another babysitting errand :D :D . Found this pair when Audiobuds & myself went on a Speaker Crawl & to get his MT 32 a new EL34.

MP
Mr. Plumber
Citizen
Citizen

Postby audiobuds » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:17 pm

Mr. Plumber wrote:

Too bad i'm only given until Wednesday (before the lunar new year holiday) to decide on the Rogers & Super 12.

hmmm....I guess, MP got his Chinese New Year bonus already!

:? buy them both :lol:
audiobuds
Citizen
Citizen

Rogers

Postby Mr. Plumber » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:59 am

:oops: Well, the Rogers-Cayin deal did not pan out well. I very much enjoyed their company for a while though. But, i did end up with another pair of Spendor, rosewood finish w/ Cardas connectors :D . Cant' complain on the condition. Last weekend, did a listening session with Audiobuds. His Harbeth & my Spendor. One of his guests ended up severely infected with the LS 3/5A bug. Well, lets see where this goes.
MP
Mr. Plumber
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:55 am

MP & Audiobuds,

When we're in HK, pakinig naman. :)
mozilla

Postby audiobuds » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:14 pm

mozilla wrote:MP & Audiobuds,

When we're in HK, pakinig naman. :)
Bai,

Anytime! Just send us PM when will be your next visit here.
audiobuds
Citizen
Citizen

Speaker crawl.

Postby Mr. Plumber » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:19 pm

:) Bai, hindi lang tayo makikinig. Tube/speaker crawl atbp hehehe :)
Mr. Plumber
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:23 pm

Thanks mga Bai!. Matagal pa. Tentative Sept.
mozilla

HK

Postby Mr. Plumber » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:21 pm

:D Bai, tamang tama, wala ng sars & bird flu threat that time. Summer sale pa. Baka mag dry run ng certain parts ang Disney that time, sapul mo Moz.
MP
Mr. Plumber
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:04 am

Gr8! Sana wag ma-udlot!
mozilla

Postby ichabod » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:54 am

This forum has been inactive for ages. Let's hear from someone on the LS 3/5a. How's the magic going?

Maybe Francis can do a simple prose about his LS if it has landed home.

My lastest find on vintage amp that sounds good on the LS 3/5a are the eico st 40 and the stromberg carlson asr220, the one that uses gz 34 recti tube with 6v6s.

Can't believe the stromberg at 12 watts per side can gurgle the LS. I prefer this one over the st 40 which is a little softer using 7591s. But that's me.

Two other fellows in Cebu have just completed their hunt and bought an eico st 40 to fire up their LS's too.

How about you guys in HK? What's new? Dan Hayes was just in HK to visit with Richard and company. Accordingly, some eico fan(atics) wants to visit with us, also come to Cebu with Dan. They should feel at home here with the both LS and eico fans around.

Fire away!
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Next

Return to LS3/5A