Stirling Broadcast "New" LS3/5A?

Stirling Broadcast "New" LS3/5A?

Postby Tubedude » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:07 pm

What do members know about this "new" LS3/5A speaker, or is this old news?
http://www.stirlingbroadcast.net/

Audiogon add for a new speaker?
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl? ... 1164920367
Tubedude
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:30 pm

Hey Dan!

This was discussed here:
viewtopic.php?t=7850
mozilla

Postby Tubedude » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:11 pm

mozilla wrote:Hey Dan!

This was discussed here:
viewtopic.php?t=7850

I apologize for not remembering that this information was covered.
I’m likely to acquire a pair of LS3/5A’s in the near future and am attempting to educate myself. James has been advising me to own a pair and it’s about time I do so.
I hope to see you next summer. :D
Best Regards Dan
Tubedude
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:35 pm

Hopefully we'll bump into each other then. I still o u for the teflon caps & the assistance on the SA16.

I'll be in Cebu this weekend. Hope to see the LS fanatics then.
mozilla

Postby Tubedude » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:12 am

Yep, I hope to see you next year. How is your Fisher working with the LS or Quad? I know your Quad and LS must be sounding sweet! 8)
Richard Lim and his wife plan to visit with us during that trip as well.
Tubedude
Citizen
Citizen

Postby fld » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:15 am

mozilla wrote:Hopefully we'll bump into each other then. I still o u for the teflon caps & the assistance on the SA16.

I'll be in Cebu this weekend. Hope to see the LS fanatics then.

I think thats basically just Oscar and a half James.
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mozilla » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:39 am

Tubedude wrote:Yep, I hope to see you next year. How is your Fisher working with the LS or Quad? I know your Quad and LS must be sounding sweet! 8)
Richard Lim and his wife plan to visit with us during that trip as well.

Great! The Fisher has a more organic, dynamic and more detailed presentation compared to the Quad's sweet, romantic tone.

I bump into Richard once in a while in the ESL thread of the HongKong forum. He did mention a possible Cebu trip too.

Ferds, Why's james 1/2?
Last edited by mozilla on Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mozilla

Postby ichabod » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:40 pm

Am wondering too?

Anyway, Dan wish you luck on your search for a nice LS 3/5A. You've got a host of manufacturers anyway to choose from.

Then there's the Stirling LS 3/5A V2. Finally a version 2. I heard these are not kef drivers anymore. They've sourced it out from Europe probably Seas or scanspeak. R & A me think still keeps doing it with the kef drivers from Kef of course. There's not enough I guess in production for two makers, he he.

Anyhow, just heard Vic Plaza has a pair, newly acquired from Master Rene. Rogers and in an exotic garb!

I know he owns a Proac too and keeps telling me the Proacs do better in every parameter. But he can't ignore the magic in the LS 3/5A. Me neither! Fact or fiction?
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

LS3/5A Fact or fiction?”

Postby Tubedude » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:56 pm

“I bump into Richard once in a while in the ESL thread of the HongKong forum. He did mention a possible Cebu trip too.”

We have been talking about it for some time now. I do hope they can visit Cebu next summer.
You owe me nothing, my pleasure. :D

“Fact or fiction?”
Thanks to you James, I know about this little jewel, the LS3/5A. The advantage of the LS over ProAc is power and room size. The ProAc is better suited to a medium sized or larger room. I only had 35 watts to power the ProAc’s and I never thought it was truly enough. The one time I used Ferdie’s PS Audio and Audible Allusions 3A they did sing! On the other hand the LS3/5A can do very well in a small room with low powered amps. Perhaps, yes overall the ProAc betters the LS, however for that mid-range magic the LS is king.
IMHO Grant has the best of all worlds, Quad ESL and LS3/5A.
[/b]
Tubedude
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dafos » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:38 pm

While it is claimed that the V2 sounds better, it no longer uses the original T27, B 300 KEF drivers of the original. The earlier models of Stirling did use the original KEF drivers. Whether it it does indeed sound better, or more importantly, if it still sounds like an ls35a is the question. If anyone has heard the V2, pls update us on its sonic merits.
dafos
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ichabod » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:32 am

Yes, Dan many of us less contented cows always battle over which speakers do the best overall. Nobody I guess is immune to that, specially when the taste levels go "higher" for what? I think this is some trick that's constantly played up in our minds, which speakers are the most endearing to our ears. And because of this, we audiophiles never seem to stop making comparisons. Perhaps, if we are not as audiophilic as we are, this whole business of finding the best amongst the best (to our ears at least) would have gone away. Has it in you? I doubt it. But be that as it may, we all get some sense of satisfaction once we hear the "right sound" for that piece of music we get to like very much. Etta Jones comes to mind here Dan!

Anyhow, a friend who gets to castigate me everytime I open my mouth how good the LS is because he feels the Proacs are better always end up (him) saying to me that even though they're better, there's "something" else about the LS that makes him go back to it, and he calls it "magic."

I call it musicality! Organic sound. Who can ignore something that sounds as lifelike as a mother's voice in a lullaby! That natural and earthy! I'd rather stick with fact than fiction. The LS weaves its music in the way we have grown up listening to music wherever it is played, whether it was in the home, high school band, chamber group, jazz pub or concert hall. Music as it was always meant to be heard! Live, energetic, expressive, and lyrical.

Given the right amp, the music simply pours itself out in all its ambient space, close, middle, and far, it gives a good sense of space in between, providing the listener with a sound that's monophonic in nature but stereo in soundfield! Beautiful full bodied sound (remember mono's awesome clarity!). Was it Gordon Holt or Dr. Robert L. Greene who calls them musical boxes!
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to LS3/5A