Hyperion Speakers!!

Moderator: Bogart

Hyperion Speakers!!

Postby architecturalaudio » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:25 pm

HYPERION SPEAKERS HAVE ARRIVED!!!

HYPERION HPS-938 (SET friendly)

..... if you are looking to spend from $3,000 to $20,000 on a pair of full range floorstanding loudspeakers, it would be (frankly) st*p*d not to audition the HPS-938.

Steven Rochlin, EnjoytheMusic.com

With the Hyperion-938s, you will spend a lot more time re-discovering your favorite recordings and staying up late at night. These babies have the magic!

Jim Hannon, A/V Guide Monthly

They are get-off-the-merry-go-round speakers. They are not analytical transducers, although they are fast and clean, and have great highs. The HPS-938s will provide a great deal of delight. They sound great with all kinds of music, and are friendly to most amplifiers.

John Zurek, Positive Feedback

Detailed Reviews:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/1104/hyperionhps983.htm

http://www.stereotimes.com/speak100704.shtm

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/hyperion/938.html

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue17/hyperion.htm

HYPERION HWS-586 (SET friendly)

Frequency Response: 50Hz to 20KHz.
Sensitivity: 89dB
Impedance: 6 ohms
Power Requirement: 5W~100W
Woofer: 6-1/2” Carbon Fiber, S.V.F. magnetic fluid damping driver
Tweeter: 1” Silk Dome
Crossover: 2.8KHz
Finishes: High glossy walnut lacquer
Dimensions: H380 x W228 x D262 (mm)
Weight: 7.6 kg / 16.7 lb (Packed)
SRP: P33,000 (AA price to be announced soon!)
Last edited by architecturalaudio on Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
architecturalaudio
Citizen
Citizen

Postby architecturalaudio » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:30 pm

Hyperion's Unique Driver Design

Synchro-Vibrate Flattop

The Synchro-Vibrate Flattop (S.V.F.) system is a revolutionary speaker driver invention from Hyperion. Unlike the conventional dustcover, the S.V.F. is an actual sounding device in our speaker driver. It produces the most direct and purest sound reproduction without passing any intermediate material, and minimize the distortion at high volume. With Magnetic Fluid Damping System, the S.V.F. has made the perfect sonic performance possible.

Magnetic Fluid Damping System

The Magnetic Fluid Damping System (M.F.D.S.) is another innovative design for our revolutionary speaker drivers. As shown in the picture, our S.V.F. driver does not have a spider, which is an essential part of conventional speaker drivers for holding and stabilizing the sound coil! Although the spider is important for conventional speakers, it is also considered as a source of vibration and sound coloration. Our M.F.D.S replaces the spider completely, increase the driver speed dramatically, and enable the purity of sound reproduction.
architecturalaudio
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Superman » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:06 pm

how about the other D _ _ _ new line of speakers? 8) :D 8) :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby Killer Mike » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:09 pm

Superman wrote:how about the other D _ _ _ new line of speakers? 8) :D 8) :D

Yun ba hinihintay mo? :twisted:
Killer Mike
Legend
Legend

Postby Superman » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:12 am

Mike wrote:

awan ti kwarta, bai! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Superman
Master Showman

Postby Killer Mike » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:53 am

Superman wrote:
Mike wrote:

awan ti kwarta, bai! :cry: :cry: :cry:

gasgas na yan. sigurado magkakapera ka pag dating nyan :lol:
Killer Mike
Legend
Legend

Postby Superman » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:00 am

hahaha!...magdilang anghel ka sana...patay ako kau supergirl noh!!!
Superman
Master Showman

Postby migs » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:20 pm

I had the pleasure of listening to the HPS 938 yesterday, thanks to Nico and Epoy. Some thoughts (amplification was CJ premier 11, sound source a CD player, cant remember the preamp):
1) What a soundstage! Despite the limitations of the listening room, the depth and width of the soundstage was outstanding. With classical musec, you can easily sense the size of the orchestra and auditorium. These speakers do an excellent disappearing act. Instruments and voices could be pinpointed with accuracy.
2) Speed and impact are clearly strong points. Percussive instruments made my hair stand on end. Well recorded guitar and piano sounded so "in the room".
3) Midrange, particularly human voices, another strong point. very accurate. Treble smoothness and extension also pretty good, although I think it doesnt better my Confidence 5s with their esotar tweeter, in that regard (it does beat the confidence 5 with regard to nos 1 and 2)
Overall a great sounding speaker, specially at its price. Hmmmmm
migs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Bogart » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:27 pm

Thank you migs for your honest opinion :) :) :)

We are still experimenting on the matching of our equipment, particularly amp and pre-amp. As soon as we find the right match, we will let you know so you can listen to them again.

The deHavilland preamp (ultraverve) will be arriving in 2 weeks time. This should be an interesting pre-amp to match with the Hyperions. I'd love to hear these speakers with a good SET as well. We are very tempted to sample deHavilland's Aries 845 Gs. Yummy but a bit pricey. Another alternative is being considered :) :) :)

Cheers :D :D :D
Bogart
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Bogart » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:43 am

The 2005 Stereo Times “Most Wanted Components”

Publisher's Choice!

Hyperion Sound Design HPS-938 loudspeaker ($4,500) A loudspeaker that costs less than $5k and literally looks as well as sounds like you've arrived in the big leagues! The other interesting thing about Hyperion's design team is they aimed these uniquely built (using handmade spider-less drivers) two-box system directly at the status-quo. After listening to the HPS-938 for the past month I would have to say they knew exactly what they were doing. The Hyperion Design HPS-938 loudspeaker possesses a level of clarity, followed by a very fast but melodic bass, with an ultra relaxed midrange that caught my attention almost immediately. Astonishing sound and build quality for the asking price.
Bogart
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jetm » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:33 pm

Just came back from listening to the Hyperions and, what can I say...these are KILLER loudspeakers. As a 'stat lover, these are among the very few non-stat speakers I could happily live with, which says a lot about their transparency. Add to that their great dynamics and tuneful bass. Quite versatile, too; can do well any type of music. Teka muna...why am I using reviewer-speak. Maybe I'm just surprised these speakers don't get talked about as much; these can embarrass some well-known brands above their price point.

Nice work bringing these in, guys!
jetm
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Bogart » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:47 pm

Thanks for your honest opinion Jet :)
Bogart
Citizen
Citizen

Postby architecturalaudio » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:15 am

The Hyperion 938 gets the DECADE AWARD from enjoythemusic.com

Celebrating a full decade of serving audiophiles worldwide, it brings me great pleasure to announce our decade awards. The below products were carefully chosen and expect to see many surprises, including quite a few products no longer in current production! For me, awards have always been something truly earned. Anyone can start a magazine and give out many awards. Frankly, kissing the industry's proverbial rear end by handing out as many awards as possible reeks of making manufacturers extremely happy (and probably enhancing their revenue stream) plus seeing said magazine's name mentioned in advertisements. In the past decade Enjoy the Music.com™ has presented a grand total of 59 products with an award. Simple math shows that this equates to a mere 5.9 products per year! Very slim pickings considering manufacturers continually desire Enjoy the Music.com™ review their gear. During 2004 we reviewed an impressive 80 products!

As a brief background, my love for music commenced when mom was changing my diapers as i sang to her. Learned to soldering at age 5, began my classical training on drums and percussion at 9.... My first 'day job' was working for Heathkit Electronics... eventually working at various electronics stores from low to mid, and high-end audio. Obviously music is more than a hobby, it is a way of life. There are various passions celebrated, with music and high-end audio being amongst them (racing my car on road courses is another).

Below is my personal list of products that deserve to be heralded as something truly special. While not all products have been reviewed, there are a few very special items i have personally owned or enjoyed at great length. This is not to be an 'be-all end-all' list — as any audiophile worthy of their salt knows the LS3/5 or Quad loudspeakers are great products — but more of one that shows which products are held dear to my heart. And with that said, the winners are...

For more details about this article, please click the following link: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0705/decadeawards.htm
architecturalaudio
Citizen
Citizen

Postby architecturalaudio » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:18 am

...... yet another

"... the way the Hyperions manage to marry the openness, resolution, speed and transparency more usually associated with a panel to the weight, extension and dynamics of a top-class box borders on the uncanny. Bass guitar sounds astonishing through these speakers, not just the remarkable transient definition but the realistic weight and note shaping.

Treble is a bit tasty, too – not just for its obvious extension and smoothness, but also its ability to resolve rich tonal colours and harmonics – never more obvious than on the shimmering massed string arrangement of Michael McDonald’s latest outing Motown Two. Frosty soundscapes are a rarity on this system; there’s no getting away from the fact it has an alluringly warm tonal balance. It’s never overbearing, though. Presentation is essentially honest, explicit and open, especially though the midrange, and stereo perspectives are strikingly believable.

So, the single factor, as generated by this Beautiful System, is made up of many things: breathtakingly natural textures and limpid transparent; speakers that are faithful to the tempo of the music yet sound big, uncompressed and dynamic; previously unnoticed recorded details, subtly yet emphatically unearthed. It’s hi-fi that images in 3D, goes loud without sounding forced and creates almost tangible presence of real musicians in the room. But, most of all, hi-fi that prickles your scalp every time you hit ‘play’. Fancy some of that? -- David Vivian, Hi-fi Choice

For the complete review (caution: quite a download):
http://www.hyperionsound.com/Images/hfcreview3.pdf
architecturalaudio
Citizen
Citizen

Postby architecturalaudio » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:23 pm

The Stereo Times 2006
“Most Wanted Components”

Hyperion Sound Design HWS-586

“The HPS-938 is the best speaker… blah… blah… blah.” So much cyber ink has been spilled on the virtues of this company’s now ex-flagship speaker the 938, that Albert Wu of Hyperion must have nearly had a coronary when I asked him to review another speaker from his line. Hell—most people probably don’t even know Hyperion actually offers any other speakers (reviewers sure don’t seem to). But I did my research and I’m here to tell you they most certainly do. What’s more, we the masses who are both spatially and monetarily challenged are the better for it. Albert told me I might be ‘surprised’ upon receipt of these baby Hyperions, and he was correct in more ways than one. Sporting a gorgeous lacquer over a subtle, dark wood grain (I’m scared to touch them), they employ basically the same S.V.D.F. midrange unit and soft-dome tweeter as the anointed 938’s, but make due with a smaller monkey-coffin in which to house them. Their sound is quite large and present, with sweet, extended highs and a seductive midrange. Only a pair of way-too-big-for-my-room planar speakers interrupted my small speaker/big sound rapture (and destroyed my décor and shocked my girlfriend in the process).....Check out the HWS-586. You too might be ‘surprised....." [David Abramson]
architecturalaudio
Citizen
Citizen

query

Postby rossifumi46 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:22 am

hi... what's the SRP of the complete model line of hyperion sound that you have available... thanx
rossifumi46
Citizen
Citizen

Re: query

Postby architecturalaudio » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:41 am

PMed you their prices.

rossifumi46 wrote:hi... what's the SRP of the complete model line of hyperion sound that you have available... thanx
architecturalaudio
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Superman » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:05 pm

epoy, chadd, nico:

thanks for letting me listen to the HWS-938 last friday afternoon...buti na lang i had time to visit the AA lair even for a few minutes...nagka-flu ako (with matching chills and high fever, but not because of the hyperions) when i got home so the whole time nakahiga lang ako...just arrived safely here in Davao this morning...

plain and simple, it is linear and most of all, while it is very detailed, di siya magulo...you can pinpoint the separation of instruments, vocals, etc...

when i get back in october, i hope to be able to listen to its baby brother, the HWS-586

i'm very sure it has very similar characteristics, let me know if the new stocks arrive...thanks again! :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby architecturalaudio » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:39 pm

Sure Clark!!!!
architecturalaudio
Citizen
Citizen

Postby TonyC » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:04 pm

Any news on the HWS586??..thanks!
TonyC
Citizen
Citizen