Voigt-I-Ke

Dedicated forum just for speakers!

Moderator: Hyperion

Voigt-I-Ke

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:37 pm

ike,

the 6" RS driver sounded very rolled off and too "bassy" with the prototype Voights. have you tried them at all in the "upstairs" voight?

v 8) d
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby arnoldc » Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:59 pm

clarify ko lang yung spelling... Voigt (walang h)
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Re: Voigt-I-Ke

Postby Racio » Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:35 pm

vintage_dog wrote:ike,

the 6" RS driver sounded very rolled off and too "bassy" with the prototype Voights. -snipped-
v 8) d

We share the same opinion on the 6 inchers. They're quite smeared at frequency extremes. Might it be just a "breaking in" issue? I certainly hope it is.
Racio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mozilla » Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:03 pm

If things go as planned, I will finally get my chance to listen to the much talked-about Voigt-I-ke soon.
mozilla

Postby mickey » Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:30 pm

I haven't done my homework with speakers yet but one thing I noticed with the radioshack on ike's voight is that the suspension of the cone is sayvery soft, easy to push back and forth as compared to the lowther or diatone. could this be one quality that give it that low a base response? small,easy to drive= low and gentle base response or does it have anything to do with the tuning.

mickey
mickey
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:24 pm

Long throw drivers move more air.
mozilla

Postby RU9 » Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:08 am

A few interesting links:

Fostex FE164 Mass Loaded Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (ML TQWT)

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/projects/ ... index.html

Full range drivers

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/diy_kits/speaker.html
http://www.madisound.com/fostex.html
RU9
Citizen
Citizen

ike's voigts

Postby mixmartinez420 » Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:00 am

i havent heard ike's voigts but from what ive been reading, i think i dont even need to hear it to believe it. just came from mang rod and listened to 12w home made single ended triodes driving a pair of celestions and just like that it hit me("i wonder how these sound with high efficiency speakers")...and now i want to assemble one myself even as i have zero technical know how with speaker building. audio gurus please reply i need voigts! where can i get the raw materials for these locally? puhlease!
mixmartinez420

Re: ike's voigts

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:25 am

mixmartinez420 wrote:i havent heard ike's voigts but from what ive been reading, i think i dont even need to hear it to believe it. just came from mang rod and listened to 12w home made single ended triodes driving a pair of celestions and just like that it hit me("i wonder how these sound with high efficiency speakers")...and now i want to assemble one myself even as i have zero technical know how with speaker building. audio gurus please reply i need voigts! where can i get the raw materials for these locally? puhlease!

i believe 12w SE is enough power to drive regular home speakers. wonder what tubes he used. a more common SE tube is the 300b, giving you some 8w. i use a 4-5w SE with 2A3 tubes and that drives my regular EPOS ES14 (88db) into acceptable levels.

if you're serious about building amps/speakers, join the saturday DIY sessions. am sure you can pick-up enough tips to get started.

on building Ike's voigts, well, not sure it would be that easy. but again, for a start, you can search the web on numerous Voigt designs. there are countless of diagrams and instructions on how to build.

if you want to listen to some prototypes, there are 2 pipe designs at home, and you're free to audition them...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby mixmartinez420 » Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:37 am

count me in on the next DIY session. mang rod was using 2 pairs JAN SET tubes forgot the number though. he brought out a 211 tube (though not yet installed) and that tube just made my day! it was HUGE! and it was beautiful too! i wonder how that would sound...
mixmartinez420

Return to Speakers