non-DIY speakers for SET amps

Dedicated forum just for speakers!

Moderator: Hyperion

non-DIY speakers for SET amps

Postby vintage_dog » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:33 am

i've been asked this question countless of times. several threads have actually covered this, but just want to start this new thread as a sticky..

- what amps you use with them - 300B, 2A3, 50, 45, VT25, 211, 845?

- your feedback on the speakers' strong points, weaknesses

you may also list other speakers that have been recommened by others even though you have not heard them...
Last edited by vintage_dog on Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby rega » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:43 am

rega

Postby garp » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:15 pm

garp
Citizen
Citizen

auris 2

Postby XLR_silver » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:43 pm

another "SET-speaker" brand not shown in welborne site:

brand: MUSICAL AFFAIRS
model: AURIS-2

uses PHY drivers like the one in the picture below

has a very interesting enclosure/cabinet design...
rear is shaped like a double-bass violin/acoustic bass guitar

here's a short review from an owner

Mr. Les Lammers from Milton Florida - USA on August 15, 2002

I set the speakers up about 2 hours ago and although they are new, as is the PHY speaker wire, they sound very good. The timbre and tone of instruments is excellent.
These are going to be 'you are there' speakers. Vocals have an uncanny realism. Music has 'texture'. No bass augmentation is necessary, the bottom end is 'right'. It's time to play them until everything 'settles in'.

The woodwork exceeded my expectations and the crate Hans used was built to survive the real world. Every aspect of dealing with him was pleasurable and first rate.. He knows what he is doing and appears to revel in making speakers and spreading the joy and fun of music

The bass is actually much more realistic than with my tweaked La Scalas and REL sub. They are amazing speakers and cannot, thankfully be found in any 'Audio Salon'. The drivers have a lifetime warranty and Hans is a PHY dealer in the Netherlands. My sister heard mine about two weeks ago. She thinks I am crazy regarding audio. These speakers made her cry. No kidding. She is as tight as a drum and is planning on buying a pair. She thought they were 'pretty' too. Just try to get a female to say that about speakers. Yeah, there are exceptions
Last edited by XLR_silver on Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XLR_silver
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Audioboy » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:58 pm

Axiom speakers
Audioboy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby highlander » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:42 pm

I'm using PSB Century 800 with silk dome tweeters on my '845s

http://www.psbspeakers.com/s/Century2.html
highlander
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby zetroce » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:32 pm

I'm using Kirksaeter Silverline 60 on my TB2a3 SET:

Cheers! :)
zetroce
Master
Master

Postby XLR_silver » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:28 pm

HIGHLANDER wrote:I'm using PSB Century 800 with silk dome tweeters on my '845s

http://www.psbspeakers.com/s/Century2.html

i agree that the century series PSB speakers have great potential with an 845 or similarly power push pull amps.

have heard both the 600 and the 500 with a PP amp and i found them to be surprisingly good. i like the stand-mounted 500s better though as they image better.
XLR_silver
Citizen
Citizen

Postby hypertriode » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:30 am

Triangle speakers for 2A3 up.
Titus 90db.
Comete & Antal 91db.
Zerius & Celius 92db.
Raving about these speakers would be self-serving. Just listen to them at my shop connected to 2A3, 300B, 845, 805 and push-pull pentode amps.
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby arnoldc » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:38 am

what i have tried on my system so far (45, 2A3, 300B amplifiers)

Axiom M3ti
Klipsch RB-3 (see review section)
Tannoy Stirling
Coincident Triumph Signatures (see review section)
Opera Audio Eric-1 (see review section)
Triangle Comete 202 (see review section)
Infinity Kappa 200
JBL LX2002
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby Audioboy » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:51 am

zetroce,

88db speakers driven by tb2a3?

thats amazing!
Audioboy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zetroce » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:11 am

Audioboy wrote:zetroce,

88db speakers driven by tb2a3?

thats amazing!

Yup, good enough to play my music in my smallish listening/living room. The sound is even louder than my previous pair, Heybrook HB1 which is rated at 90 db.

Are you Julius of C-cubed?

Cheers! 8)
zetroce
Master
Master

Postby Racio » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:13 am

<------- Sonus faber Guarneri Homage. 87dB (apparently underrated figure) - driven by 300B SET monos.
Racio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: auris 2

Postby vintage_dog » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:17 am

XLR_silver wrote:Image

has a very interesting enclosure/cabinet design...
rear is shaped like a double-bass violin/acoustic bass guitar

here's a short review from an owner

Mr. Les Lammers from Milton Florida - USA on August 15, 2002

I set the speakers up about 2 hours ago and although they are new, as is the PHY speaker wire, they sound very good. The timbre and tone of instruments is excellent.
These are going to be 'you are there' speakers. Vocals have an uncanny realism. Music has 'texture'. No bass augmentation is necessary, the bottom end is 'right'. It's time to play them until everything 'settles in'.

The woodwork exceeded my expectations and the crate Hans used was built to survive the real world. Every aspect of dealing with him was pleasurable and first rate.. He knows what he is doing and appears to revel in making speakers and spreading the joy and fun of music

The bass is actually much more realistic than with my tweaked La Scalas and REL sub. They are amazing speakers and cannot, thankfully be found in any 'Audio Salon'. The drivers have a lifetime warranty and Hans is a PHY dealer in the Netherlands. My sister heard mine about two weeks ago. She thinks I am crazy regarding audio. These speakers made her cry. No kidding. She is as tight as a drum and is planning on buying a pair. She thought they were 'pretty' too. Just try to get a female to say that about speakers. Yeah, there are exceptions

i've listened to these speaker driven by a 45...all i can say is i've not heard a better-sounding SET-friendly speaker yet locally. it's owned by an ever-so-humble and unassuming WS member, who'ld rather spend time listening to his fabulous system than lurk here...hehehe. speak-up amigo!

his system is my vote for the most refined and natural sounding system i've listened to the past 2 years. hope he gets into analog soon :-)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby marty_e » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:20 am

I think I know who you're talking about VD. Yup, he's unassuming alright. Not that "old" in my book, though. Hope we get invited to his place soon... I've long wanted to hear those PHY's.
marty_e
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rsm2a3 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:48 am

Amp: Assemblage 300B and DIY 2A3

Rogers LS3/5a
B&W CDM1se
AudioNote AN/J
Loth-x amaze
rsm2a3
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Audioboy » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:57 am

zetroce wrote:
Audioboy wrote:zetroce,
Are you Julius of C-cubed?

Cheers! 8)

Nope. :)
Audioboy
Citizen
Citizen

?

Postby Oldfogey » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:23 pm

Hi VD,

Thanks for your "vote of confidence". Hehehe. Coming from you, it is greatly appreciated. I'm still struggling with the analog question, though. Have you gotten your new music room set up?

Marty,

Just shoot me a PM, you're welcome to listen to them anytime!

I've been using the Musical Affairs Auris 2 for almost a year now, and have found them to be ideal for my listening biases. Like VD, I prefer a warm, lush, enveloping, but detailed, sound. Think warm dark chocolate cake with a double espresso!! Vocals and piano trios on these, if I may, are "to die for". I also like to hear way back into the soundstage, these speakers do that extremely well. I've been using them with my 45 and PSE 300B amps, but they seem to sound magical with the 45's.

The Auris 2's are not the last word in bass slam, but that is not on my list of sonic priorities anyway. What bass there is, is tuneful and quick, though, a sub isn't necessary. They are perhaps among the best speakers I've heard for SET amps in a small to medium room.

Just my 2 cents worth,

OF
Oldfogey

Postby marty_e » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:40 pm

Thanks OF, you're from the South as well no? I'm just outside VD's gate. Will do that, sir. Raffy's been telling me about them drivers for a while although I don't think he's been there as well. Pardon the OT.

Back to the regular programming...
marty_e
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:10 am

marty_e, one has to listen to OF's set-up to believe what high-end SET system is all about...burmester CDP, CJ premier preamp, 45 monoblocks using 1929's 245's, Auris/PHY

jovy, i have my system set-up alright but have not tuned the room optimally yet...well, that may take awhile at the rate am going :-) i have the USHER floorstander (on loan from AA) playing nicely driven by PP amp. drop by one of these days...
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Speakers