Upgrading Speakers. Help choose

Dedicated forum just for speakers!

Moderator: Hyperion

Upgrading Speakers. Help choose

Postby markymark8386 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:47 pm

Hi guys. i really need your inputs. I will be upgrading my speakers. Currently, I have the puny wharfedale crystal floorstand. Sobrang bitin eh. Im eyeing for the wharfedale 155 or anthony audio philippians fs. They both are in the same price range of 16-20k with the latter winning by specs. Questions are;

1. What sounds better? Ill be playing all types of music. My receiver is an early 90's pioneer vsx d-901s with 125wrms at 8ohms.

2. How about the design of the enclosure? Sino mas lamang for you guys?

3. The philippians doesnt come with spike stands, ok lang ba hindi lagyan? May nabibili ba na ganun?

4. Will it pose problems since rear ported yung philippians and i can only have 9inches free space.

5. Speaker wire that will be used is the one i currently have. 12 gauge speaker wire from deeco. Is this enough?

Hoping you guys can share some valuable inputs.
markymark8386
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Upgrading Speakers. Help choose

Postby qguy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:34 pm

Have you tried adding a subwoofer ? Bring your speakers to a shop or a friend with a subwoofer to try your speaker with a subwoofer. Most budget floorstanders today will have mediocre bass, its better to add a dedicated subwoofer. How much are you willing to spend ?
qguy
Master
Master

Postby muypogi » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:44 pm

markymark8386 wrote:Hi guys. i really need your inputs. I will be upgrading my speakers. Currently, I have the puny wharfedale crystal floorstand. Sobrang bitin eh. Im eyeing for the wharfedale 155 or anthony audio philippians fs. They both are in the same price range of 16-20k with the latter winning by specs. Questions are;

1. What sounds better? Ill be playing all types of music. My receiver is an early 90's pioneer vsx d-901s with 125wrms at 8ohms.

2. How about the design of the enclosure? Sino mas lamang for you guys?

3. The philippians doesnt come with spike stands, ok lang ba hindi lagyan? May nabibili ba na ganun?

4. Will it pose problems since rear ported yung philippians and i can only have 9inches free space.

5. Speaker wire that will be used is the one i currently have. 12 gauge speaker wire from deeco. Is this enough?

Hoping you guys can share some valuable inputs.

Actually, I'd go a different route and possibly try look at your receiver. Most home theater receivers do not do well wit music as compared to a dedicated stereo amp.

In my experience, floorstanders should have more than enough bass, yung quality of bass na lang yung pag uusapan as you go higher in terms of price.

I have Wharefdale Dentons which are bokshelves, but are driven by an 80wpc stereo amp, and these boxes put out more than adequate bass for me.

I'd probably steer you to changing your receiver to say, a NAD 326bee which has I bet can outperform your 125wpc receiver.o r a second-hand tube amp which can provide enough oomph and warmth.
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby markymark8386 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:45 pm

I didn't knew that changing my receiver was an option. Magastos kung magpapalit pa ako. Im thinking more of comparison nalang sa speakers mentioned sana.
markymark8386
Citizen
Citizen

Postby muypogi » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:24 pm

Di magastos kung tama yung papalitan. . . Based on experience you may need to think out of the box. If music is your main thing, you would be better served by a dedicated stereo amp vs a receiver.

I've switched speakers in the past thinking manipis sila tumunog yun pala di bagay yung amp ko.

And you would be spending roughly the same budget for the amp in lieu of your speaker upgrade . . .

Baka vintage amp lang katapat mo, yung mataba tumunog. Which solves your bass problem . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk . . . [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby markymark8386 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:58 pm

My speaker kasi is an entry level wharfedale crystal lang thats why i want to upgrade to a better one. I will take guys your suggestion mag stereo amp pag di ko nagustuhan sound quality ng kkunin ko na speakers. Tnx guys.
markymark8386
Citizen
Citizen

Postby muypogi » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:59 pm

markymark8386 wrote:My speaker kasi is an entry level wharfedale crystal lang thats why i want to upgrade to a better one. I will take guys your suggestion mag stereo amp pag di ko nagustuhan sound quality ng kkunin ko na speakers. Tnx guys.

I think nangangati ka talaga sa speakers . . . :lol:

In any case, before you change, try borrowing someone else's amp or try bringing your speakers on audition kung sinisipag ka. . . just my 2 cents advice.
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby markymark8386 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:57 am

muypogi wrote:
markymark8386 wrote:My speaker kasi is an entry level wharfedale crystal lang thats why i want to upgrade to a better one. I will take guys your suggestion mag stereo amp pag di ko nagustuhan sound quality ng kkunin ko na speakers. Tnx guys.

I think nangangati ka talaga sa speakers . . . :lol:

In any case, before you change, try borrowing someone else's amp or try bringing your speakers on audition kung sinisipag ka. . . just my 2 cents advice.

Hi. Unfortunately. I dont know anyone that can lend me an amp. Nakakahiya and the fact that in the only lne in my relatives and friends na naka ganitong setup. All of them puro naka simple dvd player lang.

Ill bring my receiver later pag inaudition ko yung speakers na bibilhin ko and check ko if it will sound differently.
markymark8386
Citizen
Citizen

Postby TheAnalogSource » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:41 am

your amp is pre-90s pioneer. if im not mistaken, the wattage is rated at much conservative specifications. ive been using a pioneer receiver that's about 2 or 3 generations (90's) after that model and easily drives a dynaudio floorstander with ease. Nowadays, you'll be recommended a plinius or so just to drive a dynes so I should say it will beat any of the new production entry level amplifiers.

with that note in mind, i think the speakers you mentioned will by just a side movement if not just a small step upgrade so might as well hold on to what you have. otherwise if the itch is unbearable and with that budget, you are better off getting a vintage jbl, cerwins or any of those with atleast 12in woofers. dun dka na mabitin unless ofcourse you have a bigger room than usual.
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby Jon Agner » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:05 pm

Hmmm ... Try to read more on speaker placement and room treatment first before venturing on changing equipment ... Minsan nasa kwarto problema ... Marami akong kilala na ganyan problema... They think its the equipment yun pala tamang room acoustics lang ang kelangan.

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby cia » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:06 pm

What is your music source?
cia
Citizen
Citizen

Postby markymark8386 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:52 pm

Update guys! We just came from the listening room andjust finished setting up. Well, guess what. I brought my pioneer receiver there and plugged the wharfedale 155 then the polk audio tsx330 and we compared our favorite cd from fiona apple and the wharfedale 155 sounded very warm on my amp and sa polk eh masyado bright napagod ears namin after playing a couple of tracks. Sabi ni thoby (salesaman dun) that he was impressed sa receiver ko kasi labas na agad tunog eh nasa 8 o'clock palang yung volume knob and told me they wouldnt bother offering me the nad 326bee (fresh from delivery), kasi una pagdating namin while waiting for the 155 to arrive from the bodega eh they keep on telling me na maganda daw sa music ang naka integrated ampli and sakto meron silang nad na kakadating lang, tapos other salesmen there kept talking and peeping the internals with praises na tipong, pare japan pa gumawa nito at ang lalaki ng laman. So ayun. Sobrang natuwa kami that i have a perfect combo. Very warm sounding indeed. We also got a headphone stand there na naka varnish na yung brand is FIIO for 800 ata yun.
markymark8386
Citizen
Citizen

Postby markymark8386 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:04 pm

Btw. Bass is response is very good and ang warm ng tunog. Gumagapang yung bass hindi boomy. A very significant improvement sa dati kong speaker. Btw. This diamond model is at 8ohms unlike my previous one at 6ohms. Tama nga yung review sa net. Then yung finish nya is perfect
Isolated case lang cguro yung napost dun sa wathifi.
markymark8386
Citizen
Citizen

Postby markymark8386 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:16 pm

cia wrote:What is your music source?

Sir music source is samsung dvd player dedicated for cd only, itouch for lossless files, laptop for flac and a technics sl1301 for vinyl.
markymark8386
Citizen
Citizen

Postby [L]es » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:44 am

monitor audio na lang.... bx 2 !
[L]es
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby markymark8386 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:37 pm

[L]es wrote:monitor audio na lang.... bx 2 !

Hi sir. Ive got wharfedale 155 alreay. I also like floorstandera because they have ample amounts of bass that wont take too much space. :)
markymark8386
Citizen
Citizen

Postby muypogi » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:10 pm

markymark8386 wrote:

Hi sir. Ive got wharfedale 155 alreay. I also like floorstandera because they have ample amounts of bass that wont take too much space. :)

Until the next upgrade . . . :P
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby markymark8386 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:42 am

muypogi wrote:
markymark8386 wrote:

Until the next upgrade . . . :P

Haha. Very expensive hobby ito and im very satisfied with what i have now. Lalo na kung hindi ka naman bigshot person. Plaka palang mahal na eh.
markymark8386
Citizen
Citizen

Postby [L]es » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:01 pm

what's with the vinyl thing no. i've tried to stave off the analog part of this hobby but i find myself gravitating towards it. can't believe also a friend of mine got into vinyl before i did
[L]es
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby markymark8386 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:54 pm

[L]es wrote:what's with the vinyl thing no. i've tried to stave off the analog part of this hobby but i find myself gravitating towards it. can't believe also a friend of mine got into vinyl before i did

Quite frankly, i spend more time listening to cd's now. Hehe. Tamad na tumayo and maglipat to side B eh.
markymark8386
Citizen
Citizen

Next

Return to Speakers