another midhorn in the making

Dedicated forum just for speakers!

Moderator: Hyperion

Re: another midhorn in the making

Postby endrik35 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:24 am

camotecue wrote:
endrik35 wrote:Congrats Tony and Larry! Very nice design and I'm sure it sounds swell too! :) I found a pic of a skull-shaped horn speaker designed by David Lynch which he uses in his Silencio bar in Paris. Kinda interesting design. I know Sir Larry can fabricate one like this. . .

this is really an interesting design as the horn for the high frequency is below the woofers. is there a tweeter at the triangular hole? i wonder how the speaker will sound?

Have no idea regarding the triangular hole in the middle Sir Larry but my concern is the tweeter location too. Unless the speaker is taller than pictured and the tweeter is at ear level, it will be more of a conversation piece rather than an audiophile speaker. I guess we'll have to go to Paris and listen for ourselves. I hope that Doc Gilbert(Philpath) can give us fare money since this classmate of mine is a . . .BIGTIME DOCTOR :)
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby zenaudio » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:14 pm

Great examples of the "horny" approach to audio bliss. Congratulations!
Will some of these be shown and heard at the HiFi Show?
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby camotecue » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:11 pm

zenaudio wrote:Great examples of the "horny" approach to audio bliss. Congratulations!
Will some of these be shown and heard at the HiFi Show?

Tony is cooking up another horny project. I've seen the plan. Maybe he would like to showcase his next project at the show should there be a DIY room.
camotecue
Citizen
Citizen

Postby trod93 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:00 pm

Larry lent me a pair of 27" le cleach horns and Kuya Lin naman for the Eminence drivers for experimentation. They know my passion on speaker building and the support they are giving me is unbelievable and really inspiring. I'm now planning on creating a 4-way horn system. Haven't really started, but, here's how the horns will look once assembled together.

When I'm done with them, they'll be about 20" off the floor. All of them will be almost within ear level. The mid-high horn will be on top of the woofer cab.

I made a sketch prior to positioning them this way. They already look stunning in my room.

Integrating all these drivers will really be a challenge. Chopsuey ang mga drivers ko - Eminence for high and mid-high, TOA for mid-low and 12" University woofers - di kaya ng bulsa ko mga Altecs, JBLs, EVs etc. My goal is to make a horn system at a very modest cost.

Buboy told me to go horns about 2 years ago pa. I thought, once I go that route baka matapos na speaker building journey ko. Well, my journey goes on. My first horn speakers were bought already :) .
trod93
Citizen
Citizen

Postby narayan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:46 pm

Keep us updated tony :clap: ;) :clap:
narayan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby lovejbl » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:46 am

trod93 wrote:My exotic horn speakers are finally done.

Drivers:

Tweeters - JBL 2405
Midrange - JBL LE5-2
Woofers - 12" woofers from Wharfedale W60 model

Horn designed by Dr. Bruce Edgar (edgarhorns) and masterfully reproduced by Larry.

Cabinets by yours truly in ebony veneered plywood. Horns stained in candy yellow in matte finish.
Thanks to Larry for the edgarhorns, Lin Gomez for the valuable tips, Jerry dela Rosa for the drivers, and finally, the Payatas boys for the motivation.

Ang sarap sa tenga ng HORNS!

Pare finally nakita ko narin ang project mo; ang ganda ha. Sayang di tayo nagabot. Dito na ako sa mga parents ko sa apple valley. I am very busy dealing with the construction, electrical and sound proofing of the future lovejbl's monitor room. The room size is 35 feet x 15 feet. medyo awkward ang size dko alam kung sa 15 feet ko ilagay ang monitors o sa 35 feet. Let me know your recommendations. I'm using an audimute noise deadening white blankets around the room similar to the telarc recording studio in Hollywood. Iniiwasan ko ang complains ng mga neighbors para hindi tumawag ng police. Im installing safe and sound barrier doors too. On the other hand my electrician is installing a a sub breaker fuse box with 240 volts 100 amps capacity, then dividing the power in half to make it 120volts and does eliminating the noise coming from the main fuse box. I will keep you posted Tony, thanks bro.
lovejbl
Citizen
Citizen

Postby trod93 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:14 pm

narayan wrote:Keep us updated tony :clap: ;) :clap:

Fired them up yesterday in a 3-way configuration. I was quite surprised with the result. I hooked up the TOA ( yeah, you read it right, it's not a TAD) compression driver on the large horn and the 12" woofer in OB. There was harshness on the mids in the first hour or so. I thought, since these were PA drivers, that's realy how they sound. I hooked up the Eminence drivers passively with the mids. If you aren't heavily into bass, ok na as is. The sound improved an hour later. Acoustic tracks are silky smooth. Probably the TOA needed some break in. The TOA driver has potential. I'm happy with it.

I can't experiment on a 4-way at the moment. Need to have my other EL84 amp serviced. Meanwhile, I will test the smaller horn with the Eminence mid driver naman. This is audio nirvana to me. Putting together drivers and testing them until I get my desired sound.
trod93
Citizen
Citizen

Postby camotecue » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:47 pm

Good luck Tony! You will surely spend time tuning this multi-way speakers. Best is to get hold of some measuring tools so tuning will not be by ear only. Even the free RTA and the SPL meter in AppStore will be a big help if you have an iPod or iPhone. Play some pink noise and your good to go. This may not be too accurate but will help.
camotecue
Citizen
Citizen

Postby carbondated » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:14 pm

Larry, how do you use the RTA on the iPhone to set up the drivers? Is the aim to get level frequency response from pink noise? How far away from the speakers should the microphone be? Should the SPL from each driver be roughly equal?
carbondated
Citizen
Citizen

Postby camotecue » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:58 pm

carbondated wrote:Larry, how do you use the RTA on the iPhone to set up the drivers? Is the aim to get level frequency response from pink noise? How far away from the speakers should the microphone be? Should the SPL from each driver be roughly equal?

clinton,

you have a pm.

anyway, RTA and spl meter with your iphone. spl of each driver measured separately aiming for roughly equal spl. problem is, it would be difficult to adjust for passively crossed speakers. you cannot listen exclusively to each driver/woofer and see its freq. response by disconnecting them from the xover without affecting the overall response. if the speaker have attenuators for the mids and tweeters, you can only adjust by ear.

the aim of measuring even with just the iphone is to get flat frequency response. but very difficult to do adjustments on speakers with passive xovers. easier with active/digital xovers. you can easily change filter type, slope, gain, and even EQ.
camotecue
Citizen
Citizen

fiberglass horns with le cleach flare

Postby camotecue » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:33 pm

somebody in parañaque (near the airport) commissioned me to do a pair. :)

he will be using 8" AER full range drivers for the horns. as a two-way speaker system, the horns and drivers will be complemented by a pair of altec woofers in onken boxes.

in subaru blue color finish

thanks for looking!
camotecue
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Superman » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:50 pm

CONGRATULATIONS, sir! Sent you an SMS ha!
Superman
Master Showman

Postby camotecue » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:55 pm

Superman wrote:CONGRATULATIONS, sir! Sent you an SMS ha!

ok. thanks.
camotecue
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Superman » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:27 pm

camotecue wrote:
Superman wrote:CONGRATULATIONS, sir! Sent you an SMS ha!

ok. thanks.

Since naka-Subaru Blue ka na sir, pwede na rin mag-piano black pala??
Superman
Master Showman

Postby trod93 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:35 pm

Wow! Grabe naman ito parang Avantgarde. Very nice! Congrats to the owner.
trod93
Citizen
Citizen

Postby docsialu » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:20 am

ganda nga, parang avantgarde wow ;)
docsialu
Fanatic
Fanatic

actually...

Postby kabubi » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:26 pm

...sa totoo lang, ito yung padadala sa PAGASA para i-measure ang rainfall.
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Re: actually...

Postby Chuckyboy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:53 pm

kabubi wrote:Image

...sa totoo lang, ito yung padadala sa PAGASA para i-measure ang rainfall.

SENDONG BLUE pala ito (not subaru blue) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Chuckyboy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Chuckyboy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:02 pm

^ but I congratulate Don Camote for a very nice looking horn :clap:

As others have mentioned, the fit and finish can be compared to German made horns :rock:
Chuckyboy
Citizen
Citizen

Re: fiberglass horns with le cleach flare

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:08 am

camotecue wrote:somebody in parañaque (near the airport) commissioned me to do a pair. :)

he will be using 8" AER full range drivers for the horns. as a two-way speaker system, the horns and drivers will be complemented by a pair of altec woofers in onken boxes.

in subaru blue color finish

thanks for looking!

Nice work Larry :) this is the exact horn that I was contemplating on for my Beymas :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Speakers