Harbeth in Sounds N Images

audio toys from sunny Cebu!

Moderator: fld

Harbeth in Sounds N Images

Postby tcris » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:47 am

Hi Ferdie,

I would like to thank you for allowing me to listen to a fantastic system! It looks more like a dream system for me, from source to amp to speakers. How i wish more people could hear the Harbeth Compact 7es, its one of the most transparent speakers i have heard.

It may be on the middle to high side of the price spectrum but i guess it is the classic example of "buy it once, buy it right" and avoid the audio merry-go-round.

Transparency, soundstaging and pinpoint imaging what else can you ask for! And it still being driven by a solid state amp (a high end solid state amp for that matter), im really curoius what a good tube amp can make the harbeths do. Actually, it doesn't matter, what i heard that night made me enjoy the music more than anything else (by the way tried looking for Deborah Corant, no luck yet :-)

If good fortunes permit, i don't mind saving up for the almost "double than my budget" cost, in my opinion its really worth it.

Thanks again and hope to visit you again in my next trips in Cebu!

Tim
tcris
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Superman » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:02 am

great review, tim!
Superman
Master Showman

Postby Tubedude » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:26 am

Nice review Tim!
I’ve listened to the Harbeth Compact 7es at Sound N Images too. One of the best sounding speakers I have ever heard. It has a relaxed real lifelike sound that very few speakers can reproduce. It has that wonderful British voicing but with a “you are there” sound...Dan
Tubedude
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tcris » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:21 am

hi jen and dan,

thanks, i hope ferdie can bring a pair for the november fair so more people can feel the Harbeth Listening Experience :-)
tcris
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Tubedude » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:55 am

I hope that my wife will let me go to the November fair! Would be nice to meet all the Wiredstate guys...............Dan
Tubedude
Citizen
Citizen

Postby fld » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:19 am

Thanks Tcris, tubedude. thanks for the comments and very good reviews.

I have to admit that this particular system is one of the best sounding systems I've put up in my demo room here in Cebu. Most listeners who have experienced them feels that it has almost everything one could want in a hi end sound system with the exception of deep deep bass.

I welcome WS members if they are in Cebu to drop by and experience the Harbeth experience.

Thanks again.

fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Chuckyboy » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:30 pm

fld wrote:I have to admit that this particular system is one of the best sounding systems I've put up in my demo room here in Cebu.

I have to agree with Ferdie on this one. I have heard a few systems in that ASC-treated room of fld and this one is the best so far. Soundstage is awesome - deep and wide. Very open sounding and the bass is tight and fast (thanks again to ASC huh?).

As capable as the AN transport and AN 3.1 DAC is, I think a good analog front-end will take it to another level- to give it a sense of ease and grace that analog does so well. :wink:
Chuckyboy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:52 pm

fld is one of the best system integrators around and one of the guys I always take time out to consult. That's why I'm always very pleased but NEVER surprised to hear that he's got another killer rig on deck. Congrats again Ferdie! :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby Superman » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:01 pm

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/HL%20C7ES2.htm

The hi-fi speaker that crystalised Harbeth's reputation for sound quality is the famous HL Compact. This latest sophisticated derivative applies the latest Harbeth technology to bring what customers describe as a 'magic carpet ride experience' to their listening system.

Of all the British speakers introduced in the last twenty years or so, the Compact 7ES-2 is the outstanding example of absolutely natural sound combined with a flair for reproducing any and every type of music. From rock to opera, jazz and folk, whatever demands you put on the Compact 7ES-2, it always delivers. The clarity is spellbinding, even eerie.

Removing tension from the sound involves removing tension in the cabinet, so the Compact 7ES-2's cabinet is a critical part of the overall mix that is the Compact 7. In true BBC tradition, both the front and rear panels are removable, creating the ideal 'lossy joint' structure, and the C7ES-2's low energy storage cabinet enclosure quite literally breathes at the very lowest frequencies, as do the finest wooden instruments.

In addition, the redistribution of the mass and compliance of the walls themselves eliminates resonances in the all-critical mid band. A crossover, using only the best components and individually calibrated blends the bass/mid to a superb tweeter, such that the listener is never aware of the joint.
The whole effect is of seamless integration.

Listeners are mesmerised by the C7ES-2's open, natural midrange. Customers frequntly tell us of the lost hours - even whole nights - travelling through time and space revisiting recordings and artists they though they knew intimately.
Superman
Master Showman

Harbeths @ the November Hi Fi Show 2006

Postby fld » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:27 pm

Harbeth Monitor 30 driven with Bat Vk55, Modwright Pre-amp, Naim CD player.. Cabling by Analysis Plus, TG Audio, Sound Panels by ASC. Isolation by: Symposium Acoustics

Harbeth Compact 7es2 driven with Bat Vk55, Modwright Pre-amp, Naim CD player.. Cabling by Analysis Plus, TG Audio, Sound Panels by ASC.
Isolation by: Symposium Acoustics

** special thanks for Bogart for lending his BAT for the duration of the show**
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby marty_e » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:30 pm

This was one of my favorite rooms on the show. Whether driven by the BAT or McCormack - the setup sounded awesome.
marty_e
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby fld » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:44 pm

Thanks Marty-e. Enjoyed your company during Saturday evening listening session.

Special and many thanks to my neighbor Jack & Keith for the company AND for lending me these awesome speaker wires (VERbatim). Wow !

Close look at the "Chameleon" like sound of the verbatim speaker cables. Nagulat si Joseph. Its self adjusting. When the system is warm, it leans it out. When the system is lean, it gives it warmth. Grabe !

And off course, the gang from down south, fellow Cebuano (Romy, Brady), from Manila (joseph), Cagayan (yong), and special guest, Ernie.

fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby DCO » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:47 pm

Ferd's,
Nice meeting you! Sayang we had no chance of listening Harbeth's with the McCormack! Great room! Nice setup!

:D
DCO
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby fld » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:54 pm

Likewise DCO, nice meeting you after all these months of exchanging SMS and calls.

The Mccormack proved too powerful in that small room--just like everyone else, wished we had a better shaped room & slightly bigger would have helped.

Bedroom Eyes, FLd,DCO, Yong
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Superman » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:08 pm

naks poging-pogi si bot and dodo ha! :D :D :D

hey ferds, thanks for the time...again, as i've always experience...really can't find any fault with the harbeths...it's musical enjoyment...

teka ako din down south (Davao)...thanks! :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby fld » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:12 pm

Superman wrote:naks poging-pogi si bot and dodo ha! :D :D :D

hey ferds, thanks for the time...again, as i've always experience...really can't find any fault with the harbeths...it's musical enjoyment...

teka ako din down south (Davao)...thanks! :D

Thanks Gen, always a pleasure to have you onboard!!
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Ernie » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:49 pm

Thanks! Ferdie, for letting me visit your room.
In my own opinion, It was the best match audiogears in the show for the music genre you've played.
NO.1 in my WISH LIST. Pwede "UTANG" Hehe
Ernie

Postby JackD201 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:06 pm

I loved them Harbeths! Solid state or tube it has that midrange magic. It was a pleasure being your neighbor fld! Sana next year ulit.

BTW the Modwright is SINGING! it's hard to pin down its character very clean yet refined with warmth and a nice aura around images. Boy it's quick too! OK rin the output gain, macho.

Pre-amps are usually overlooked at shows and with the Harbeths making their beautiful music its pretty easy to overlook everything else. The Verbatims did help but honestly the set-up didn't need all that much help. It was great already as early as Friday afternoon.

I can't say enough about the naim either. When I move, expect me to sell my arcam duo and grab a naim duo buddy.

8)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby fld » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:39 pm

Ernie wrote:Thanks! Ferdie, for letting me visit your room.
In my own opinion, It was the best match audiogears in the show for the music genre you've played.
NO.1 in my WISH LIST. Pwede "UTANG" Hehe

tks ernie for the nice comments. its great also to finally see you in person.

Yeah, just email me if you have further concerns.

thanks again.
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby fld » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:44 pm

JackD201 wrote:I loved them Harbeths! Solid state or tube it has that midrange magic. It was a pleasure being your neighbor fld! Sana next year ulit.

BTW the Modwright is SINGING! it's hard to pin down its character very clean yet refined with warmth and a nice aura around images. Boy it's quick too! OK rin the output gain, macho.

Pre-amps are usually overlooked at shows and with the Harbeths making their beautiful music its pretty easy to overlook everything else. The Verbatims did help but honestly the set-up didn't need all that much help. It was great already as early as Friday afternoon.

I can't say enough about the naim either. When I move, expect me to sell my arcam duo and grab a naim duo buddy.

8)

Pleasure is all mine Pare jack... Loads of fun man!
The Modwright is unusual, its tubes its solid state, its everything in between. Its also fast and detailed enough. And it matches well with a lot of amps: s/s , tubes, set, etc. It has a home theater bypass to boot.

Looking forward to next year show... hope pare we can be neighbors again.
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Next

Return to >> Sounds N Images <<