Analysis Plus cables for Ipod phone

audio toys from sunny Cebu!

Moderator: fld

Analysis Plus cables for Ipod phone

Postby fld » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:23 pm

Analysis Plus Apple iPod/iPhone Cable

I bought an Apple iPhone when they first came out and have enjoyed it immensely. For frequent travelers it is a revelation. You can watch movies ripped from your DVD collection via HandBrake, listen to music from your CD collection ripped via iTunes, surf the web, send and receive e-mail, get map directions, check the weather, see how much your stocks have dropped, use it for an alarm clock, take photographs of your adventures (or just to help remind you where you parked the rental car), enjoy lots of handy applications from the iTunes App Store, and oh yeah—you can even make phone calls! I use the Shure SE530PTH Sound Isolating Headphones with my iPhone, and the combination of the two was impressive enough while listening to music or watching movies that I wrote it up for 6Moons back in September of 2007 as a recommendation for music lovers on the go.

Lately I've wanted to put an office system together using my Apple iPhone as a source. I've been thinking of using my cool little Leben CS300X integrated valve amp, with perhaps a pair of the little Harbeth HL-P3ES-2's to round things out. There's nothing like listening to a little good music, or an audio book, to help the workday along. And watching a movie flick or great course lecture from The Teaching Company during the lunch hour could turn an ordinary lunchtime into an anticipated event.

My first trials with the Apple iPhone using the Monster mini-stereo-plug to RCA cable I had bought were less satisfying in my HiFi rig than I had hoped for given the excellent results I was getting with the road-warrior Shure headphones and iPhone combo. The sound was thin, brittle, and bleached—what everyone thinks of when the term 'bad digital' is uttered, as compared to the tonally rich, full-bodied, and musically compelling presentation of the Shure's. I figured it was the Monster cable I was using that was the culprit, and given the excellent results I had with the Analysis Plus Yellow Flex Oval cable for my guitar rig, I thought I should check out the Analysis Plus iPod/iPhone cable and see if it could perform the same sort of magic trick with my iPhone.

It so happened that I ran into Mark Markel (President of Analysis Plus) at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas in January and was able to ask him about the Analysis Plus iPod cable, and whether he'd be interested in letting me write about it. "Sure," Mark said, and he sent along an Analysis Plus iPod cable for me to write about.

The Analysis Plus iPod/iPhone cable is based on the Analysis Plus Silver Oval interconnects. The Analysis Plus iPod/iPhone cable uses a hollow oval geometry of silver-plated 18-gauge oxygen-free copper conductors in a Teflon dielectric, which is then wrapped in a braided shield to keep things quiet. Instead of RCA connectors at both ends like the Silver Oval interconnects, the iPod/iPhone cable has a mini-stereo-plug at one end and RCA connectors at the other end. The Analysis Plus iPod/iPhone cable is very nicely made and attractive to boot.

The Analysis Plus iPod/iPhone cable seemed like a perfect solution for my office system idea by allowing me to plug the mini-plug end into my Apple iPhone and the RCA connectors into my integrated amp. Well almost perfect. It turns out that the mini-plug pin on the Analysis Plus iPod cable isn't long enough to plug into the recessed mini-plug jack on the top of the iPhone to get a good connection. To make it work you have to get a Belkin iPhone Headphone Adapter plug ($11 USD) to make it work. That's sort of a Band-Aid fix, but it's not the fault of the Analysis Plus cable, it's the fault of the wanker design of the iPhone's recessed mini-plug jack (which, by the way I hear was corrected in the new iPhone 3G that was released on July 11, 2008. So if you've got the new iPhone you'll not need the adapter).

To give the Analysis Plus cable and iPhone a workout I used my primary music system (see sidebar), which makes for a nice comparison against my Apple iMac and MHDT Labs Paradisea+ vacuum tube USB DAC digital front end. Functionally the iPhone makes for a pretty nice mobile digital platform, as you can download play lists of music to it from iTunes on your computer, and still have much of the convenience of using iTunes on the touch-screen of the iPhone. For all intents and purposes, I find the iPhone to be a miniature Mac computer that I can carry in my pocket, and it'll hold a bunch of music or movie files with it's 8GB of storage (16GB is available on the 3G iPhone)..

The Analysis Plus iPhone cable transformed my iPhone into a respectable musical source for an office or bedroom Hi-Fi system. For example, the musical content of recordings like timbre, beat, tempo, melody, and harmony, came across as musically convincing and fun to listen to. The Analysis Plus iPhone cable provided a silky, liquid, and flowing presentation to the strings on Ansermet's Royal Ballet Gala Performances version of the Nutcracker that I found quite captivating. The timbral signature (the unique sound of a given instrument) of Jorma Kaukonen's Gibson Advanced Jumbo guitar on his Blue Country Heart album sounded believable, and you're not likely to confuse it with the sound of a Martin D-28—that's a good thing for those who know what musical instruments actually sound like in life. The beat in Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues on Harry Manx's Jubilee album came across as distinctive and lively, driving the music forward, just as it should. Melodic lines (the tune you 'whistle while you work') came to life in recording after recording, always drawing me into the music, and putting a Cheshire Cat smile on my face as a result. In short, the musical contents of recordings are portrayed in a believable and completely enjoyable fashion, and I never felt that Analysis Plus iPhone cable was altering the way tempos, beat, melodies, or harmonies come across the way some cables can—it's a really good cable.

Sonically (in that traditional audiophile sense of artistically portraying the artifacts of the recording process to enhance the listening experience) things like a sense of space, soundstaging, imaging, detail recovery, are all very good. In fact, I'm surprised that the iPhone is capable of the level of performance in these sonic attributes that I'm hearing from it. Using the Analysis Plus iPhone cable, I heard a wide and reasonably deep soundstage, with well-defined imaging that has a lot of body and presence on Simple Things from Zoe Speaks' Pearl album. Take Joe Pass' Groove Yard from his Virtuoso #2 album: not only do you get a tonally rich and natural sounding jazz guitar, you also get a level of detail recovery (and thus 'living presence') that is completely consistent with what you'd hear in real life given the recorded perspective—that's way cool!

I have to admit; I'm pretty impressed with how good the music sounds through my Hi-Fi rig using the Analysis Plus iPhone cable on my iPhone. In fact, it's way better than I was expecting, and I'm guessing that I could fool at least some of visitors to my listening room into thinking it's really my Apple iMac and Paradisea+ USB DAC playing the tunes. But the iPhone and Analysis Plus cable combo isn't quite in the same league as the iMac and Paradisea+ combo, as you would expect. The latter is smoother, richer, more natural, and has more adept sonics and musical prowess all the way around. Even so, the iPhone via the Analysis Plus iPhone cable is certainly enjoyable enough that I doubt few would find fault with it as a source for an office or bedroom system. It's going to make a bitchin' source and interconnect for my office Hi-Fi rig! Jeff Day

iPod Cable
Retail: P7,500.00
fld
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Analysis Plus cables for Ipod phone

Postby greenarrow » Tue May 04, 2010 9:08 pm

Do you still sell the DIY line out dock connector for ipods?
greenarrow

Return to >> Sounds N Images <<